PDA

View Full Version : Truck avenger VS Quadra-junk

79K-10
08-16-2006, 10:07 PM
I'm thinking after the ESKA run, and my carb kept quitting on this one certain hill.......... (i'm running a Holley 600) I'm either thinking of getting BigDan to rebuild my quad....or invest in a Holley truck Avenger.........mmmmmmmm

dstrbdxp-AK
08-16-2006, 10:22 PM
IF you know how to tune a QJ, they are one of the best carbs on the market when it comes to its offroad abilities. Yes, the are picky and finnicky and do sometimes require some adjustment, but if you know what you are doing, its all worth it.

bigsub
08-16-2006, 10:25 PM
IIRC Holley carbs hate the hills. When I used to run the Q-jet ('83 short bed Chevy), it never failed me (and I got 14 mpg in town). But that was 15+ years ago.

NewbieFJ60
08-16-2006, 10:31 PM
had 2 holleys and they both crapped out on me . my QUADRA JET ... (will never call it junk) works great and runs like a raped ape . Dan and Kurt rebuilt mine and it was like 250 something and mike ( sledheadak) gave it to me off a junker I wouldnt trade my Q jet for anything excpet a EFI or TBI . figure it propels my 5800 lb land cruiser down the highway at gets me 12 MPG all day long ... I lost my faith in holley long ago . Larry (79 FSJ) had a truck avenger on his FSJ and it had issues . hope this helps some . I bet there are a few other people who have seen my rig perform might also attest to the performance of a Q jet

dstrbdxp-AK
08-16-2006, 10:35 PM
Excellent angle capabilities. If you are mechanicaly inclined, there is a fella out there who did a book on rebuilding and tuning them. Let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

Odoa3
08-16-2006, 11:04 PM
"How to Rebuild and Modify Rochester Quadrajet Carburetors" by Cliff Ruggles. Just picked it up, seems very comprehensive.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=cliff+ruggles&z=y&cds2Pid=9481

NewbieFJ60
08-17-2006, 08:23 AM
I'm off to barnes and nobles at lunch

Pt_Ranger_V8
08-17-2006, 08:31 AM
the best way to rebuild a carb:

1: remove carb
2: install fuel injection

Someone HAD to say it!!!! :grin4: I'm positive that with enough patience, you could do a TBI swap for well under $500

NewbieFJ60
08-17-2006, 09:25 AM
does your taliban bronco have EFI? either way that wasnt an option . Maybe the original poster should add a pole to this thread

Pt_Ranger_V8
08-17-2006, 10:00 AM
yeah - the suicideride came with EFI stock...And chevy's are ridiculously cheap and easy to do a TBI conversion on...(hence why I added the less than $500 part)

I know that this isn't the place for the efi.carb debate, so I'll stop harping on it :grin:

:beer:

DirtofAK
08-17-2006, 12:16 PM
I ran a Holley on an off road car. Get the off road kit for it and install a piece of fuel line off the bowl vent tube and secure it in higher than the bowl.

geeky907
08-17-2006, 05:03 PM
IMHO.. I've seen what a QuadraJet can do... They're a GREAT carb if tuned properly.. One free piece of advice tho... DO NOT tighten up sloppy linkages on em... they're sloppy for a reason :)

|AK|Chevelle
08-18-2006, 10:10 PM
I run a Holley and have very few issues with it. I have also run several Q-jets and like them too. It's all in the tuning! :grin: I also have a BUNCH of Q-jets if anyone is looking...... Can also offer Holley tuning ideas.
I'll also have to agree with the Chevy EFI conversions. $500 should get you a complete set up if you're able to install.

Advent
08-19-2006, 01:08 AM
Why is it that every single thread anywhere about the Truck Avenger ends up with a bunch of people who say Holleys suck off road, or people who say you can mod them to work off road?

THE TRUCK AVENGER IS NOT A HOLLEY STREET AVENGER. IT IS A CARBURETOR BUILT FROM THE BASE PLATE UP TO BE OFF ROAD CAPABLE.

I'd love to know how well they work, but every single thread ends up like that.

79K-10
08-19-2006, 09:02 AM
Id like to find someone who HAS one, and have them take me for a little ride....
Obviously the quad works well, but after all it IS stock, as to where the truck avenger is not. It advertises 45 degree incline, anyone know the degree to which a quad cuts off???

I have a quad laying around, and a bigger Holley, so obviously it would be cheaper to rebuild one than to go get a truck avenger.....But I would actually like to see the difference.....

AKBearMoose
08-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Id like to find someone who HAS one, and have them take me for a little ride....
Obviously the quad works well, but after all it IS stock, as to where the truck avenger is not. It advertises 45 degree incline, anyone know the degree to which a quad cuts off???

I have a quad laying around, and a bigger Holley, so obviously it would be cheaper to rebuild one than to go get a truck avenger.....But I would actually like to see the difference.....No Holley...many can attest to that...I have seen sledhead's quadrajet perform WAY off camber...and 66Bronco's truck avenger was 90 degrees off camber (Tipped over) and fired up...LOL