PDA

View Full Version : what happens to fuel when it sits... for a long time?

new-jeeper
10-21-2006, 02:03 PM
hey guys,
havent been on in a while but anyway... ive just been deployed to iraq
a couple weeks ago and i realized that my fuel tank still has fuel in it.
my question is, whathappens to fuel or anything else in your jeep after
it sits for say... oh about a year? any bad effects? if so ill just have my wife
run it every so often to eat up the gas. i appreciate your answers thanks you.

ACS
10-21-2006, 02:34 PM
can lose its potency and make it ping, thats more of a wors case scenario. I've never had a problem with fuel sitting 1 yr, but I usually at sbil ro some other fel additive designed for sitting fuel. have her buy a bottle and dump it in

AKBearMoose
10-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Stabil from Wal-Mart will keep it useable...then add good fuel on top of it when you get back:grin:

B1
10-21-2006, 03:05 PM
wouldnt want to leave it sitting with just half a tank of gas. condensation sucks. fill er up, and put some stabill in. you should be good to go. wouldnt hurt to make the ole lady fire it up once in a while either.

murphyslaw
10-21-2006, 03:14 PM
short term storage 1-6monthes fill it up long term get what you can out and treat the rest. dont know how many gallons of fuel I have pumped out of boats cause the owners filled em up (even with chemicals) and come to run it in spring and the fuel is botched with water. more fuel absorbs more water, unless you fill it up till its in the filler neck(no air in the tank). have her drive it for a week or so to get it to about 1/4 tank or less then have her put in x amount of stabil. and all will be fine, then once a month have here drive it someware even if its just to the corner then back but long enought to let it warm up completely.

Dopey Joe
10-21-2006, 10:09 PM
I have often used fuel from drums and cans that has sat for a year or two. Gasoline does not absorb water. The water sinks to the bottom, IF water has gotten in, you just make sure not to transfer the dregs to yout tank.

I have had rigs sit for a couple of years with partial tanks many times. When started up they run on the fuel thatis in there just fine.

If in doubt pour some heat (basically just ethal alcohal) in and top it off with gas known to be uncontaminated.

No problems.

Mark...

alaskan_cowboy
10-21-2006, 10:24 PM
whats good for getting rid of water in fuel, i think i got some in built up in my tank cuz once it gets low on gas the quality of it sucks and it dont run like its gettin enough fire but after i add some in it drives fine

Dopey Joe
10-21-2006, 11:35 PM
Water will go to the bottom of the tank. Your fuel pickupis at the bottom of thr tank. So water in the tank will affect the rig regardless of how much fuel is in there.

As mentioned above, Heet or straight ethol alcohal will get rid of the water. Water dropolest when immersed in gasoline have too much surface tension to be drawn through the passages in a carb that are desinged to atomize fue.l (A high pressure fuel injection system can actually handle water in fuel better than a carb.. But once it gets to the point that it can not, the EFI is tougher to clean out... especially on the trail...)

The alcohal mixes with the water and lowers the surface tension so that it can be pulled though with the fuel and burned.

Mark...

LIMA BEAN
10-21-2006, 11:57 PM
Here go we again. If you leave it site like they said dump Sta- bil in 8 OZ. will do 20 gal. The Same for STP fuel stabilizer,all off the shelf at Shcucks ect. But also with the delta-T on temp variations the condensation is an issue, so something like power service or your everyday Heet will disperse H2o but... Gotta move it around. Have Mamma put it in and run it, back it down the driveway to stir it up and crack the gas cap for a couple hrs during daytime dry-time then put it back on and run it a few mins once a week just so she can think of you. Thanks for your service, we all appreciate more than you know. Anything the family needs PM me directly and it will be done, I believe I speak for everyone here when it come to that bro. Mike :Flag:

new-jeeper
10-22-2006, 02:02 PM
the wife here:) : Alright guys...thanks for the help. I have no idea what you all are talking about....but thanks. So basically put some stabill in from wal mart run it...drive it and i should be fine. So that means i need to learn how to drive a stick :i3: I'm not sure that's a good idea trying to learn in the snow. Well, i'll have my husband check out all the replies...thank you so much for all the posts. You all helped a lot.
Davina

ACS
10-22-2006, 02:16 PM
it turns to wine...

LostByChoice
10-22-2006, 03:46 PM
it turns to wine...

I didnt want to be the first to say that... :i2:

I have used Stabil, it works, dont know if it's needed, but what the hey... Best I have found, is for someone to go out there and run it for 15 minutes or so once a week, keeps things lubricated in the engine too. (I am assuming gravity will pull oil down?)

:grin:

nate
10-22-2006, 04:30 PM
I remember firing up a rig that had sat for probably 15 years... ran on the gas in it's tank.

new-jeeper
10-23-2006, 02:03 PM
thanks guys, ill just have her run it every other week or so till its warm. appreciate it.

resnow
10-25-2006, 10:15 AM
I had a similar problem after letting my Jeep sit for 9 months. No start with with a full tank. I talked with some of the Chevron guys, the technical guys that handle fuel and lube, not a gas station attendent. Basically they said when gas goes bad it goes bad. A little octane boost can help if it's not completely gone. But when it's gone its gone. They said they get calls all the time on that. "Hey I left my vehicle sitting for a year and I need something to revitalize my gas..." So if it's gonna sit take care of it before hand because afterwards it's just to late according to the Chevron folks....