PDA

View Full Version : Question on Pitbull Rocker Extreme off road tire's

jnavaugh
09-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Has anyone run these tires ? and if so what are the handling characteristics on road? can they be balanced easily ? I am thinking of buying them for my FJ after I do the 3'' lift.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John.
:drive:
I do drive to the trails no trailer and need them to perform and get me into the woods and back out..

sledheadak
09-15-2009, 09:34 PM
you dont want to run pitbulls up here.they may work real well in the rocks but not up here in our mud.

Fix-It
09-15-2009, 10:20 PM
my buddy is running 37's on his fj40 with a healthy v-8 .. they pack up real bad . also his 37's were shorter than my bfg 35 mt's .

on snow they did great and on road they ride well wear fast it seams .

nate
09-15-2009, 11:08 PM
A couple guys ran them on their rigs when I was in Idaho and they didn't do that well on Idaho or Utah rocks according to them.

ArcticMania
09-16-2009, 05:07 PM
This should give you an idea!
http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss55/ArcticMania/Buffalo%20Mine%20-%2020090809/100_1376.jpg
Don't recommend them up here.

TintedSnow
09-16-2009, 05:56 PM
I thought they ran good up here? Just pulled a lot on the roads.

Fartknocker
09-17-2009, 01:48 AM
Hey don't pick on my Suburban. Read my thread titled my mistake before you buy any Pitbulls. I have not tried airing down below 12 psi yet but at that pressure, I het stuck a lot.

DevilDog
09-17-2009, 06:11 AM
This is a good thread with good to know information. I was thinking about getting a set when I come up to wheel in a summer or two. What is the general consensus for wheeling tires 37's to 39's? I'll drive up on stock 32's and swap out before hitting the trails. Thanks

RSOVJR
09-17-2009, 06:21 AM
dang, it looks like my hmmwv tires clear more than those bad boys do.

I do adequately to pretty decent with my rig and the 37's I have... unless the random fighting position sneaks up on me.

sledheadak
09-17-2009, 08:04 AM
tsl,boggers,irocs

billythedeadboy
09-17-2009, 08:47 AM
tsl,boggers,irocs

X2

for 37"-39" range at least.

jnavaugh
09-19-2009, 08:06 AM
thanks to everyone's input.
final decision?
trxus 33''
cant wait to put a lift on and skid plates and get out and wheel,not that I havent been out with the stock stuff but I believe the new tires will give me a little more confidence to get stuck better.
:word:
cya out on the trail's.

kbeefy
09-19-2009, 08:19 AM
not bad for a street tire, you'll miss the more agresive tread during the muddy season up here but you'll like how those things drive and sound on the road (pretty quiet).

Dopey Joe
09-19-2009, 10:07 AM
deleted, double post

Dopey Joe
09-19-2009, 10:08 AM
If you want to drive on the road to the trail, but trail performance is your concern... Boggers... If you drive the rig on the street a bit too... TSLs. Nothing else enters the equation.

If it is more of a street rig, then I can't offer an opion, just 'cause I have quit caring about trailable street tires. On the trail they are all pretty much the same. Mediocre at best.

If it is a pure trail rig... gets some ag tires.

Mark...

kbeefy
09-19-2009, 11:46 AM
well said.

Dbeast71
09-21-2009, 12:24 AM
I've never had a 40 TSL go anywhere my 40 Rockers didn't when I was properly aired down, and I wheel with 2 guys on 40 tsl's. If you haven't personally ran them then you really don't know. If you want just deep mud then get a bogger (or ag) but that's about the only thing a bogger will do better.

Dbeast71
09-21-2009, 06:45 AM
It was late last night, I had just gotten back from Eureka. While there some guys I know of rolled out 2 superduty's on 44" rockers and these guys used to run TSL. When I asked them how they liked them they didn't complain about them in the swamps and where they were is nothing but swamp. They didn't really say if one was better then the other though either.

Here's some things I've noticed between a TSL and Rocker.
Ice: Rocker hands down
Packed or 12" or less snow: Rocker hands down
Balancable: Rocker hands down
Round: Rocker
Flat spotting badly: TSL
PSI dependant: Rocker
slimy: Rocker hands down
deep half frozen snow: ? We all get stuck or get through
Bogs: ? We all get stuck or get through

Hopefully some guys that have actually ran them for a while will pop in.

37" on 1/2 ton is perfect, 39-44 on 1 ton gear is normall.

I've ran hummer tires there there is absolutely no way rockers are anything like those POS tires, I couldn't pull even a slightly muddy hill with my 36's.

"Opinion" When I looked at Irok's as an option I thought the tread was way wussy, no where near as deep or agressive as a TSL or Rocker and I hear they suck for lasting.

Taz
09-21-2009, 03:19 PM
.... "Opinion" When I looked at Irok's as an option I thought the tread was way wussy, no where near as deep or agressive as a TSL or Rocker and I hear they suck for lasting.

i've ran both TSL and IROK radials. The TSLs lasted 1 year. After 3 years the IROKS are just now getting me to think about new tires. I've followed people with boggers through stuff and haven't had a problem. I've also made it through some stuff that someone with boggers got stuck in. I think a lot just depends on the path you take.

dougdanger
10-04-2009, 09:48 AM
The new Goodyear MTR's look pretty good. I might be getting a set and save the Boggers for special trips.

Alaska ZJ
10-04-2009, 01:02 PM
We had pitbulls on the Race Jeep for the Baja 1000. They are the entire reason we timed out (imho). I would never touch thier crap again. and will not support them. C R A P ! ! !

Dbeast71
10-04-2009, 09:11 PM
We had pitbulls on the Race Jeep for the Baja 1000. They are the entire reason we timed out (imho). I would never touch thier crap again. and will not support them. C R A P ! ! !

Why don't you elaborate on what they didn't do? They cannt be just "crap" or no one would have anything to good to say about them. And BTW other Baja guys do not share your opinion so don't blame a driver/vehicle issue on the tires unless you have some proof. What was your time with another bias tire? How did you fair with radials? What failures did you have?

http://www.prerunnermaniac.com/Prerunner-Suspension-Buyers-Guide/Off-road-Tires/Pit-Bull-Tires-Goes-Desert-Racing.php

Honestly it would surprise me if a rock bias tire did good in the baja over a radial due to the speeds even though some reports say it does. But even if it doesn't that does not mean the tire sucks, it means it doesn't handle baja well which it wasn't designed for anyways... How did TSL do in teh Baja, since this is a more comparable tire than a goodyear radial?

AKBearMoose
10-04-2009, 09:54 PM
I don't own any myself...so what I'm reporting is hearsay from a 60 year old guy who has been wheeling since "...Christ was a child".

He bought them in Texas, and loved them there. After the trip up here, they were pretty worn...so he sold them and got another set for here. He said they suck here. (He is a Geo-technical Engineer) He said our soils here will not clean out due to the alluvial silt, but his wife's jeep (matched set), does much better on TSL Swampers.

Both jeep setups are identical, but he says the performance was just the opposite in TX...the swampers sucked there... :con:

kbeefy
10-04-2009, 10:32 PM
It was late last night, I had just gotten back from Eureka. While there some guys I know of rolled out 2 superduty's on 44" rockers and these guys used to run TSL. When I asked them how they liked them they didn't complain about them in the swamps and where they were is nothing but swamp. They didn't really say if one was better then the other though either.

Here's some things I've noticed between a TSL and Rocker.
Ice: Rocker hands down
Packed or 12" or less snow: Rocker hands down
Balancable: Rocker hands down
Round: Rocker
Flat spotting badly: TSL
PSI dependant: Rocker
slimy: Rocker hands down
deep half frozen snow: ? We all get stuck or get through
Bogs: ? We all get stuck or get through

Hopefully some guys that have actually ran them for a while will pop in.

37" on 1/2 ton is perfect, 39-44 on 1 ton gear is normall.

I've ran hummer tires there there is absolutely no way rockers are anything like those POS tires, I couldn't pull even a slightly muddy hill with my 36's.

"Opinion" When I looked at Irok's as an option I thought the tread was way wussy, no where near as deep or agressive as a TSL or Rocker and I hear they suck for lasting.

Wow, seems like rockers win hands down.

From looking at the tread (I've never ran them) it sounds like we need a comparision. Boggers shouldn't be included, unless for reference. those things are like DOT paddles.

Personal opinion here.... I think once you decide to purchase a tire as aggressive or more aggressive than a TSL, you should forget about treadwear. You get what you get, try to drive on roads less.

EDIT:

Oh, btw.... I'm a fan of the TSL. Great all-around off-road tire. I'd like to see a run-off with the pittbulls.

If you want road and snow/ice performance the SSR's are cool. Don't have any experince w/ IROK'c.

Rdrash
10-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Fact.

In slimy mud a 32" bfg mud terrain K5 drove around a 40" rocker wearing suburban that had the tread packed with mud.

stonerosan
10-05-2009, 05:03 PM
This post is turning in to a chevy ford battle with no clear winner. I run 40 iroks on my jeep and love them and will buy another set. I have a friend that has 37 rockers and he likes them and they replaced TSLs the suck back until they were groved and siped. bottem line is tires are expensive and before you buy find some one with a similar setup as you and see what they run and what they want to run. I have noticed the heavy run the aggressive tires as they sink. with my light jeep i can stay on top and i'm good but if i sink in the soup mud i'm done. On the snow my iroks aired down to about 6-8 are great. but i run beadlocks and now have a trailer to haul princes around:grin2:

TJVigilante
10-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Fact.

In slimy mud a 32" bfg mud terrain K5 drove around a 40" rocker wearing suburban that had the tread packed with mud.

K5 with a V8? vs a Suburban with a similar V8? Bigger tires need more power to spin and clean. Put those 40's on a built 454 and see how they do.

So many variables not given any consideration...all you're comparing is tire size, and ignoring vehicle weight and power. I wouldn't run a 39.5 rocker on my Jeep with the 4.0, but I would run a 32" BFG because I have the power to spin it. When I do run the 39.5 as I have seen in my dreams, it'll be pushed by either a small block V8 or a nicely stroked 4.0.

Dbeast71
10-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Fact.

If it's the sub from another post on the board he had not aired them down. You can't just slap a tire on a rig a run it and call that a test. Different tires require different air pressure and driving technique. When aired down my pitbull's LOVE slimely and the slickest of ice. I'm planning on beadlocks since these tires do SO much better at 6 psi but I've lost a bead at that pressure.

In the bogs I'm still reserving my opinion, 2 40" tsl's and 1 rocker either get stuck, or don't (all 3 rigs). There hasn't been a clear winner. But in the slick and slimy stuff that isn't deep my Rockers plain ROCK! In the stupid slick wet ice I pulled a dead car through the same holes tsl's had trouble getting through.

Rdrash
10-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Fact

The suburban was running in the teens for psi and spinning its tires. Its a 6.5 not alot of HP but enough torque to spin those tires at will

I was running 32 psi always do with tires like I have and not enough power to fly across an obstacle I have no need to air down nor the means to airback up for the ride home

My K5 with the V8 is currently a misfireing SOB I could not make more than 40 MPH going to baldi and on KGB would slow to 20-25 mph on the hill by fish creek so your power theory is right out the window.

Those tires are absolute crap if you have to air down to 6 psi so you can move on flat ground with 6"'s of mud on top of hard pack then they are absolutely worthless, really who wants a tire that you have to air down before you pull off the road to pee?

Rdrash
10-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Further more the ability of those tires to move your rig (dbeast) so well may be a direct result of the guy behind the wheel than whats on the wheels.

Dbeast71
10-05-2009, 07:36 PM
Further more the ability of those tires to move your rig (dbeast) so well may be a direct result of the guy behind the wheel than whats on the wheels.

Always a possibility, but that's why I say you have to know the rig and the tires. My pitbulls suck at street pressure (18) when I'm on the trail, they like it LOW. I used to run BFG AT's and they are an awesome AT tire when there isn't much mud.

From experience I will say shy of deep mud the Rocker will hold it's own and on alot of terrain spank an TSL in some, in the deep mud it's hard to say. I've had my tires load up but I don't like to horse it unless I have too, but when I do that 460 and rockers make a heluva mess for me to clean up later. I've wheeled with some of you and there have been very few times that I haven't pulled an obsticale that you have.

Stoner, you got me in the snow but you were at 5 psi to my 8-10, could be tire or pressuse. Justin couldn't do it either with siped TSL's.

Wayne, neither or us made it through the last hole before my clutch fried but our rigs are not comparable.

M&G, all of us not on XML's or ags got owned by the Donk.

Icy knick run last year I owned everyone and I towed a dead car.

If the only discussion here is deep slop then you might have something bad to say but if I only wanted slop I would run a bogger and live with all the horrible side effects and all the terrain they cannot handle. I want an all around tire and until I start getting left in holes by every full locked fullsize w/ TSL's on 40 then your opinions are too narrowly based to mean much. One failed obstacle doesn't mean much, a repeated failed circumstance might.

Dbeast71
10-05-2009, 08:20 PM
http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wheels/129_0505_pit_bull_rocker_tire_test/index.html

http://www.ih8mud.com/reviews/fj40-pitbull-rockers.php

http://fourwheeler.automotive.com/113834/129-0908-pitbull-rocker-tires/index.html

Just a few professional reviews off the first page on google. **** good trail tire but if you judge a tire by mud alone then the verdict is still out, or you can just buy a Bogger and I'll pull you out on every non bog run, pass you on the highway, not replace mine when you replace yours, laugh when you slide in the ditch in the ice or down a side hile, but you can return the favor if I ever need it in the deep goop :).

stonerosan
10-05-2009, 09:09 PM
chris i love to think about that one time the jeep did great. And justin did make that hill climb before you got real friendly with the gas and tore up the hill.:grin2:

I came from playing on the rocks and if you didn't air down you stayed on the road. Most of the trips i've been on up i'm the only one to airdown. I know for a fact that reducing tire pressure will give you more traction in all conditions how far you air down is all about knowing your truck and the terrian you wheel.:con:

I love beadlocks and OBA

Dbeast71
10-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Yup, pressure can turn a street rig into a trail terror. Owning these tires makes me want more, the lower I go the better they work... I'm trying to get a decent price on a set of "over the lip" style to gain a little more width and I like them better than inside the lip.