Alaska 4x4 Network

Alaska 4x4 Network (http://www.alaska4x4network.com/index.php)
-   General Chit-Chat (http://www.alaska4x4network.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Getting that wild hair.... (http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=34436)

Overdriven 01-31-2008 08:29 PM

Getting that wild hair....

I'm thinking about selling my chopped up, caged up, XJ and buying a stock ZJ to make a DD/light trail rig out of. Also maybe getting a early 80's FSJ Cherokee to build a trail only vehicle out of. (Or maybe just getting 2 more ATV's for the wife and I. (Kids already each have one)

This thing was pretty unstoppable in Texas. Won lots of bets on things I could do with this XJ because of the way it's built. I have yet to wheel it up here.

Thing is I'm new up here and I have no idea what my XJ would be worth. Could y'all give me some direction? Here are some specs on it.

Started life as an '88 XJ with 4.0/AW4/231
I have since swapped out every bit of drivetrain and made many modifications to it.

It now has
4.0 HO from a '92 XJ. I am using all of the Renix electronics and it worked out great. I have mustang 5.0 injectors and a pacesetter header on it. New plugs and a few sensors in it. I currently has a light tap from the rod bearings. If I keep it I plan on dropping a stroker 4.0 in it I will be building over the next few months. (I may include the motor as part of the sale or drop it in the ZJ.)

The AW4 is fresh. I just swapped it in from another 88 XJ. New gasket, filter, and fluid. (Also has a trans cooler)

NP231 has wide chain from a dakota and PORC SYE kit installed. I'm running front driveshafts front and rear and I have a spare. I also replaced the tabs on both forks.

D30 front out of a 98 XJ with larger Ujoints, 4.56's, lockrite, skids welded on the LCA mounts

D44 rear out of an 87 XJ w/ 4.56's, detroit, and heavy duty diff cover

4.5" lift, MJ shackles, new upper mounts front and rear for shocks, adjustable track bar, HD LCA's, stock UCA's

33x12.50 BFG Muds with about 85% tread left on black steel rims. (spare is new BFG AT)

3 row GDI radiator w/ open system modification. (no more leaky bottle)

Lots of custom mods done to this XJ.

Obviously it's chopped, but it is water tight, doesn't leak at all. I have caged the interior and have 3pt harness for the rear seats and 3pt / removable 4pt for the front. 2 sets of seats, stock and the plastic racing with camo covers.
Sound bar just above/behind the front seats. CB, custom bumpers front and rear, and the quarter panels have been cut out and 2x6-3/16" thick steel rockers have been welded to the body. Custom snorkle that has a 3" opening from the stock air box to the top of the windshield. I also have a section of cage that goes into the rear of the XJ to finish it off. Just haven't put it back in yet.

Front, xfercase, and gas tank skids,
quick dissconnects on antisway bar (not currently on XJ
2" reciever on rear
2 ammo cans make up the center console and the rear storage. Modified the one in the back to be able to lock it. Works well for trail tools and recovery gear.

There is lots' more to this thing. I used to work at an auto parts store so I have have put alot of the "little stuff" into it.

I have no idea what it would be worth to someone, or how much to price a Jeep like this up here. Here are a few pics to go with the thread.

The entire exterior is bedliner. Ice doesn't stick to it at all, pretty easy to clean off by just hitting it with the snow brush. No scratching this finish....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...stmas07067.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...stmas07070.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...stmas07068.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...stmas07071.jpg

(Didn't post this in the For Sale because it's not for sale....yet.)

Taz 01-31-2008 09:27 PM

Re: Getting that wild hair....

it would probably go great up here. but if you really want to sell it, put a price that you are comfortable with plus OBRO (or best REASONABLE offer.) i don't have the money or i'd make an offer. one of my favorite sayings ( i think i made it up or heard it a long time ago) is that something is worth what someone else is willing to pay. in other words, price it high you just might get a bite.

but personally i'd wheel it a couple of times before deciding if its right for you up here.

00TJ 01-31-2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taz (Post 358994)
it would probably go great up here. but if you really want to sell it, put a price that you are comfortable with plus OBRO (or best REASONABLE offer.) i don't have the money or i'd make an offer. one of my favorite sayings ( i think i made it up or heard it a long time ago) is that something is worth what someone else is willing to pay. in other words, price it high you just might get a bite.

but personally i'd wheel it a couple of times before deciding if its right for you up here.

Im with Taz, wheel it a couple times up here before you sell it.........

AkMike 01-31-2008 09:59 PM

IMO it'd be a trail rig only up here. It'd never pass the IM for the Anch. area..

Overdriven 02-01-2008 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkMike (Post 359002)
IMO it'd be a trail rig only up here. It'd never pass the IM for the Anch. area..

Why wouldn't it pass the IM? In that matter, what all is tested in the IM? I've heard alot about it but haven't researched it much.

As far as wheelin' it up here. I have many many wheelin' trips in this XJ. I love the way it wheel's.... I'm just looking to go a different way. Really leaning on the ATV thing. (The wife and kids are pushing me more that way, they want to drive too....)

Taz 02-01-2008 04:57 AM

isn't im going away? he could keep it registered in his home of record until it does.

AkMike 02-01-2008 06:44 AM

Legally you must re register the vehicle within 30 days after you get here or after you get a job. Whichever is soonest. Unless you're military...
IM is supposed to be going away but.. Have you ever heard of any gov't agency getting smaller?? LMAO

ODDBALL 02-01-2008 06:55 AM

Keep it! Trust me, i will show you why.

enduro47 02-01-2008 07:24 AM

I would go back to a xj any day.

maximum_24 02-01-2008 10:53 AM

i love my xj...ive got it in my living will that if i die...i am to be buried...in my xj.

i do like the bob'd tail look of yers...very cool maybe after i get the ol girl in the garage an get the motor swapped over i might think bout that lol

JeffJ 02-01-2008 11:30 AM

I'm with the others. Keep it. That is a nice truck for the trails up here and there is lots to explore. You can always sell it later. ATV's are easy to come by. Just save your pennies. The truck would be much harder to replace.

NewbieFJ60 02-01-2008 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkMike (Post 359050)
Legally you must re register the vehicle within 30 days after you get here or after you get a job. Whichever is soonest. Unless you're military...
IM is supposed to be going away but.. Have you ever heard of any gov't agency getting smaller?? LMAO

he's military look at the Heinz Corp. financed housing. Keep the XJ , I had something else and never knew how nice wheeling an XJ is up here till i did it

mrbean 02-01-2008 12:15 PM

yes keep it its an awsome rig

Overdriven 02-01-2008 01:48 PM

I have always regretted selling every Jeep I've had in the past. I'm sure this would fall into the same catagory if I did sell it.

Guess I'm a little discouraged about how this thing drives on the ice. Had I known then what I know now I would have done two things different. I would have gone with selectable lockers so I'm not sliding so much on the ice and I probably wouldn't have chopped it. I love the look of the chopped XJ but you loose all that enclosed space protected from the elements. I need to find a good waterproof box to throw in the back of that thing.

Here in a few years my kids will be hitting thier heads on the back window as well. I know an adult can't ride back there without a helmet:wall:

Like I said, I get a wild hair once and a while and I want to try something different...

NewbieFJ60 02-01-2008 01:56 PM

my XJ on 33's sucks on ice i just take it as a condition of living with it

mrbean 02-01-2008 07:30 PM

my xj on 35's(trxus mt's) is awsome on the ice

Overdriven 02-01-2008 07:38 PM

I blame it on the Detroits in the diffs. If I had ARB's like you Mr. Bean I wouldn't be complaining.

Maybe I should just try and locate some Full widths, build 'em, lock em with selectable lockers and then sell my 30 and 44 under my rig....I'd ride mutch better on the snow too.:drive:

stretch 02-01-2008 07:48 PM

Or sell it to me.

maximum_24 02-04-2008 10:44 AM

yea when i welded my 35 it wAs a lil unnerving at first...but then i got used to just airng down the rear tires an using a lil more loud pedal to crack the rear loose an re-aim it as needed.

im sure lockers front an rear would be spooky as hell tho...

when i get new engine dropped in im gonna invest in some sort of selectable locker... one day...

Rowdy Red 02-04-2008 11:46 AM

Don't get rid of your jeep. Put full widths under it. That will cure your want for a new project.:grin: