Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > General Chit-Chat

General Chit-Chat Please keep this CLEAN, and FAMILY ORIENTED.

Old 07-04-2003, 09:39 AM   #1
imported_Josh
Registered Member

imported_Josh Default Reputation

Ive tried calling helicopter companys and wrecking companys no one will be able to to get it out and i suggjestuions on how to get my truck out. We lost the other guys nissan and jeep and my truck is burried up to its frame rails half way across. we tried burring a my spair tire down but it kept pulling out i tried to highj lift out of the hhole but no good. Does any one know any companys/people that will go out there with a winch that can pull my heavy truck out of the river. Were lucky to be alive lucky we brought extra food, cloths and sleeping bags . Can any one help I have about 2500 in my bank account so i can pay for the recovery of my truck. PLease reply. Josh
imported_Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 09:40 AM   #2
imported_Josh
Registered Member

i found some one.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:52 AM   #3
imported_Josh
Registered Member

metal creek is a AB river... It will try to kill you and it will try to steal your truck. stay away from this hell hole...

Old 07-04-2003, 09:55 AM   #4
imported_deepmud
Registered Member

imported_deepmud Default Reputation

DId you just say "lost" two other rigs? Like, you may get yours out, but theirs are "gone"? I crossed that river in my Cherokee with 235's a few years back - the front axle of a full size Chevy barely poking through the torrent was a good warning - it told me,
"be prepared to walk away from the truck, save your butt". You have money, but two other rigs are written off, trying to get yours?
It may not be usable when you are done, IF you get it out at all. I hope who ever you got to help you is prepared to lose their rig too - that river could eat a D-9 Cat.
Don't die for an old Nissan A Nissan dragged out of a river doesn't have a high resale value. Getting it out might be a good thing, just on general principles of packing out what you pack in, but EVERYTHING< including the engine, the trans, the axles, may be packed with silt.

I wish you good luck - I hope the truck runs when you are done, I hope no one gets hurt. Be careful.
imported_deepmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 09:59 AM   #5
imported_Josh
Registered Member

at this point all i want to get my truck out of the river so there is no enviromental damage. i have towing company that i am paying. I dont care how bad myu truck is i want it out of the creek even if it is a total loss.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:31 AM   #6
imported_deepmud
Registered Member

imported_deepmud Default Reputation

Seems like Butte auto salvage used to have a special truck for Jim Creek disasters - sounds like you found someone who knows what they are getting into - best luck to you.

That which does not kill you only makes you stronger.
imported_deepmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 10:59 AM   #7
imported_Little Giant
Registered Member

imported_Little Giant Default Reputation

If who ever you found so far doesn't work out, try giving Mobile Movers a call. J.Wahrer out of Chickaloon runs it, card says 'specializes in off-road towing, 2-1/2 ton 4-wheel drive'.

(907) 746-0919

Good luck, and keep us updated.
imported_Little Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 11:27 AM   #8
burbo76
Registered Member

burbo76 Default Reputation

call a place called jones drive line. based in willow. i have heard they do stuff like what you need done.
burbo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 01:08 PM   #9
imported_85toyflatbed
Registered Member

imported_85toyflatbed Default Reputation

PM me if you cant find someone i have a freind that can help ya out tomorrow if it is still there
imported_85toyflatbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 04:48 PM   #10
DNGRRNGR
Banned

DNGRRNGR is on a distinguished road

If you still need recovery let me know, I can get out there with a couple of other rigs today and give it a shot. Good luck either way.
DNGRRNGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 09:47 PM   #11
paco4runner
Registered Member

paco4runner Default Reputation

wow. Sorry to hear that.
When things cool down and the wrecking service gets you our, Please give us the quick and dirty on how it all happened. Others could learn much from your mis-fortune.

I'm glad no one has been hurt.

Old 07-04-2003, 09:58 PM   #12
aktinbinder
Registered Member

aktinbinder Default Reputation

good luck with it josh. Hope it all works out for you. A wrecker is going to be your best bet on getting that truck of yours out.

Yes, that river is nasty. It has to be well frozzen over before I'll think about an attemt to cross it.

aktinbender
Old 07-05-2003, 12:10 AM   #13
AlaskanJack
Registered Member

AlaskanJack Default Reputation

Am I crazy or wasn't Josh one the guys going up to the glacier to recover the Nissan??? Is Metal Creek that away??

"I am as frustrated with society as a pyromaniac in a petrified forest."
AlaskanJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 01:49 AM   #14
Mrkingers
Registered Member

Mrkingers Default Reputation

Guys, I'm from N Ireland, moved here to Anc in 97, ex-British Army, hence my regimental Avtar.
I've been following this whole 'escapade' closely..
I have a few things to say, if anyone is interested.
Me being from a somewhat 'milder' climate, am not used at all, to the 4 wheelin here in AK. I'm a total newbie to the whole scene. Only thing 4wd I've driven before was a dump truck on a construction site.
I'm learning a few lessons though, from this unfortunate experience.
Me being a newbie to both Alaska, AND wheelin, I'm easily scared, but reassured by other peoples 'sound' and 'experienced' advice. Even me driving to work in the winter here, I carry a full survival kit in a rubbermaid box in the jeep (Wifes scaring 'advice') She's from Anc by the way. Aluminum balnkets, etc etc etc
I sure have learned a lot from following this 'adventure'
It's a sad way to learn the do's and don'ts, but I've learned a lot from reading the developments, and ongoing rescue efforts of all those involved.
This is what a wheelin board is for...People with experience, passing on experience. Like a job, new guy, first day, learns a lot, you know what I'm trying to say...?
And by the way, I'm not one of those guys who'd burn your truck.!
I love this board, especially the tech bit.! and now, just as the beer's gone, and my bed is calling, I want to say thanks, as a total newbie, as you read above...to everybody, with EXPERIENCE..
Take care, and have a safe summer.
Kingers.

Mrkingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 01:53 AM   #15
imported_fload
Registered Member

imported_fload Default Reputation

josh did you find anyway to get your truck out? If you have not got it you might talk to murdock about spliting the bill and bringing his back too.
imported_fload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 03:26 AM   #16
imported_Josh
Registered Member

Well Let me say THANK YOU to kurtis, dan , jerry and the winingers (sorry not sure how to spell it) They are life savers and i owe them so much thanks.Every thing went well to a certain extent beside my trucks whole drive train/ engine being destroyed by silt it going to be a while before its on the road again,long while. we had to hope out way from sand bar to sand bar. Was not too fun for me and dan waiding *across that river in boots that were full of water looking for paths to get across.

Im going to try and get some sleep i gotta be up real soon to find a flat bed and i havnt slept more that an 3-4 hours in the last couple days and im not thinking to strail. * Once Again THANKS for ever one that was out there.

btw the jeep is gone by now im sure its not worth trying to get it out its going to be many times harder than it was *for us to get my truck out and that was a ***** beyond words

"Bigfoot, were the hell is Bigfoot?"

Old 07-05-2003, 03:28 AM   #17
imported_Josh
Registered Member

btw ill do a write up and post some video when i have time after i get my truck home and had some sleep. Late

and again THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH
Old 07-05-2003, 08:06 AM   #18
imported_frosty
Registered Member

imported_frosty Default Reputation

Curtis called me at 3am this morning and told me all that had happened. Glad no one got killed! That was one of the scariest stories of heard in a long time. As for the tj getting washed down stream.....thats metal creek for you. Lucky they got out to! hopefully everyone has learned valuable lessons from this!!
Old 07-05-2003, 08:37 AM   #19
aktinbinder
Registered Member

josh, good to hear that you got your truck out. Is the nissan still washed away with the jeep, or did that come out to?

you have a lot of flushing to do now.

no one got hurt? that is a good thing.

get some rest
aktinbender
Old 07-05-2003, 08:38 AM   #20
aktinbinder
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (AlaskanJack @ July 05 2003,01:10)]Am I crazy or wasn't Josh one the guys going up to the glacier to recover the Nissan??? *Is Metal Creek that away??
thats the "creek" thats fronts the glacier.

aktinbender
Old 07-05-2003, 11:33 AM   #21
imported_ODDBALL
Registered Member

imported_ODDBALL Default Reputation

I Know that Creek is sick! We did go after the Dodge with serious caution! The entire start of this mess is just a case of a few guy's going out trying to do what looked like a safe thing to do and got a massive slap in the head!
Josh was just out to lend a hand and got Funked by the other stranded truck/Jeep owner's and even the Happy Hooker DUNK'S! I was in a rage ovet the $3000.00 they still had wanted to charge for doing nothing but driving out to watch the show! We need a few meeting's from time to time to talk about how to deal with Creek and river crossing's! Flowing or frozen. Thank's for the Help Black Jack & ooTJ! Josh you did a good job Keeping your cool and you work'd your *** of to get that Dodge back! I respect that hard work and possitive drive to handle the mission at hand. Big Upps to all the real JEEP DRIVER'S!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-05-2003, 12:25 PM   #22
00TJ
Hermann The German

00TJ is on a distinguished road

One HELL of job on some team work..Dan and josh got wet but they did a great job of makeing the way for me and oddball to cross the river.That river was no joke and yes i was scared..but i faced my fear and made it..The dude with the tow truck..well thats another story. Curtis post some pics
i wanna see how they turned out. In all this was an adventure
and i got to jump my jeep a few times ..weeeeeeeeee
Thanks Oddball..BlackJack..Josh you worked your *** for that truck..Let me know if you ever want to go wheeling..Good job folks..The Winagers thank you for coming out also sorry we put you on nerve..Joey hope you dont stay mad at us for taking the risk on the river.I knw you did not want to see anybody get hurt but we did have the situation under control
maybe it looked different from the bank but the places we went across where safe..dan lost his footing and got wet ,,we asked him if he wanted to press on he said hell yes
He knows where his limits are and only him.

Set the example in everything you do in your sport."Post Responsibly" "Ride Responsibly" "Camp Responsibly" "Drink Responsibly". Behave like EVERYONE in the world is watching and evaluating your actions. Have fun, yes. But realize we are threatened like never before. I've never seen so many closures and potential closures on the horizon. Please take heed and act now

By Del Albright,
00TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 01:40 PM   #23
aktinbinder
Registered Member

good job guys.

If I had known that a goup was going out I could have joined. My # is on the club card, feel free to use it.
ran a trail with josh, he is good people.

aktinbender
Old 07-05-2003, 01:43 PM   #24
imported_Josh
Registered Member

Trucks home! im going to start working on draining every thing and start pulling stuff apart to see how bad the damage is. Thank you so much for being out there i would have been screwed if it werent for you guys. Have a good weekend! later, Josh

oddball: when should i drop that stuff by your work i got the shackel and your bar for the hilift send me a pm and ill see if i can bum a ride down
Old 07-05-2003, 01:58 PM   #25
imported_RED01TJ
Registered Member

imported_RED01TJ Default Reputation

Good Job guys, glad to hear no one got hurt. Josh you didn't pay the tow truck first did you? Is you need any help Josh let me know. It was good to wheel with you at the meet and greet. If my jeep would have had the axle done I would have went to.
imported_RED01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote