Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc)

Old 10-24-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
Niko

Niko is on a distinguished road
Default Ford or Dodge auto trans?

If you were putting a 96 cummins into a 91 F350, would you use the stock dodge auto tranny or the Ford E4OD? Which is better? Can one be built to take more abuse?

How difficult would it be to put a manual in a truck that came with an automatic? If I got a manual from an early F-350, would the automatic truck already have the provision for the clutch pedal?
Old 10-24-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
BigDan
Just me.

BigDan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ford or Dodge auto trans?

Ford C6 is hard to beat. But no OD. Not a big fan of the E4OD. or 4R100. Both Dodge and Ford can be built. Lotsa cash.

Can't say for certain on the clutch pedal assy. Most have the hangers for it under the dash, and dimples in the firewall for the rest. Are you running a 12v or 24v?

http://www.alaska4x4network.com/show...113#post373113

Boys become kings, girls will be queens. Wrapped in Your majesty. When we love, when we love the least of these.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

4R100 is $$$ to rebuild and there aren't a whole lot of aftermarket parts for them. I've never heard of anyone putting one behind a Cummins, not saying that it can't be done though.
I don't think an E4OD would last as all behind any of the modern diesels or a tuned up 12v.

The Dodge trans isn't really better stock compared to the 4r100 but there lots of aftermarket for them and parts are a bit cheaper (still $$$ though) The 47RE/48RE is pretty much a 727 with an overdrive bolted on the back. I built the trans in my truck last year and I've got about $2500 into it. I left the flexplate stock as well as the intermediate and output shafts, those parts would have been another $1800 or so.

Putting a manual shouldn't be too bad.

Have you looked at the conversion webpages like FordCummins.com and there's a few others? They might have info for you.

Also there's a few webboards like Competetiondiesel.com, TDR1.com that might have some info.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington

Last edited by nate; 10-25-2008 at 09:53 AM.
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:14 AM   #4
Niko

Niko is on a distinguished road

Dan, it's a 12 valve. I'll just get a manual. I really do not want an automatic, I hate them, especially behind a diesel. Which dodge manual was behind the cummins in 96?
Old 10-25-2008, 10:19 AM   #5
Speedo
Registered Member

Speedo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko View Post
Dan, it's a 12 valve. I'll just get a manual. I really do not want an automatic, I hate them, especially behind a diesel. Which dodge manual was behind the cummins in 96?
NV4500

Gus
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
plyr2k
Registered Member

plyr2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
NV4500
You stole mine. Check out www.destroked.com for the adapter plate to almost any transmission. I vote nv4500. 5 speed with plenty of grunt.
plyr2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

Yeah I agree, manual is better IMO.

A well built auto is nice, don't get me wrong, but I like the feel of a manual better since there is no "slush" of the torque convertor. I almost put a 5 speed in my truck, but it would have been more $$ all told since the T Case input is different, different driveshafts, new PCM, new interior parts, etc. Plus a good clutch and big trans input shaft aren't cheap either.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington

Last edited by nate; 10-25-2008 at 10:59 AM.
nate is offline   Reply With Quote