Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > General Chit-Chat

General Chit-Chat Please keep this CLEAN, and FAMILY ORIENTED.

Old 12-02-2004, 09:29 AM   #1
Noah
Registered Member

Noah is on a distinguished road
Default Mac or PC and why?

So after reading Kurts computer thread it occurred to me that there are a lot of computer literate people on this board and they all seen to use PC. I personally use a Mac although recently I broke down and got a PC to use for class because Microsoft doesn't make Access for the Mac. Other than that I would never own a PC again for a number of reasons. My favorite is that nobody writes viruses for the Mac.

So what is everyone else's preference?
Why do you think one is better than the other?
Noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 09:34 AM   #2
79 FSJ
Registered Member

79 FSJ is on a distinguished road

Personally Ive never used a MAC they arent very common in the Air Force environment. I tend to stick by the what I know theory, hence is why I have never branched outside of the PC world. Though I have heard that the MAC is the premier now for imagine editing software.
79 FSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 09:46 AM   #3
Noah
Registered Member

I can see using a PC in a business environment because they are less expensive and can handle the tasks of most businesses with ease. As far as the "premier image editing software" goes it is made for both platforms. I use Photoshop CS on my Mac and I have also used it on a PC with relatively equivalent hardware. Every time I would open a large image file on the PC it would freeze or something else really weird would happen.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:49 AM   #4
AKBearMoose
JK WK F350 F150

AKBearMoose is on a distinguished road
Default Geeesh

I was kidding, I didn't think they sucked bad enough for an entire thread... (Kidding again...just to taunt you)

Help me...I caught the Jeep thing!

( ||||||| )
o _________ o
\__o__o__/

AKBearMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 09:53 AM   #5
Noah
Registered Member

I know you were kidding.

I just wanted to hear from all the computer folks as to why they prefer PC.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:54 AM   #6
79 FSJ
Registered Member

79 FSJ is on a distinguished road

I think you'll find its because its the status quo
79 FSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:21 AM   #7
Taz
Gruff

Taz is on a distinguished road

I got turned off years ago on macs/apple. the reason at the time was you could only buy software by/from them. unlike pcs which had software available from a lot of different sources. if your heavy into graphics and special effects i would say go mac. to this day though, there still isn't as much software available for macs. there are even different software platforms i.e., linux, unix, windows that can be ran on a pc unlike macs. i could come up with a few more.

01 TJ, 7" RELA, Onboard air compressor, 36 IROK radials, Dual batteries, Warn 9000 winch/in cab remote, ARB front and rear.

Alaska Extreme Fourwheelers

Last edited by Taz; 12-02-2004 at 10:22 AM. Reason: one day i'll learn to doulble check stuff before posting
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:03 AM   #8
Logjam
Superchic

Logjam has disabled reputation

I have a 25MHz Centris 650 from Apple Computer (early 1990s) running NetBSD (unix). Its a web, dns, and e-mail server. Its been running non stop since 1997. Apple is the only company you can buy the mainstream OS and hardware from, but not the only company you can get software from. Unix and linux are operating systems, not platforms. You can get unix or linux for just about everything that is capable of running it. Poeple are that crazy. MacOS X is a flavor of unix (BSD) and there are a few releases of linux for the mac. Old, and new.

Linux runs pretty good on macs too, because the hardware design is closed the OS knows what to expect.
After seeing these tires I think that the 30 splines would get scared and go limp and not go in the housing! I think these tires have rockwells writen all over them!

www.brokenyoke.com
Logjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:04 AM   #9
Bronco85
Registered Member

Bronco85 is on a distinguished road

I perfer PC just because it's main stream, and I can ususally fix the stuff that I screw up. Mac isn't really out there as far as there being as muc software(I havn't really looked though). Last time I used one was in highschool, took a programing class and they used Macs.. What the hell!!!! Macs are a lot more user freindly from what I remember, not many chances to screw it up be clicking the wrong button.

Macs are more geared towards graphics and Music stuff now days anyway arn't they?
Bronco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:12 AM   #10
Noah
Registered Member

How much software do you need?

Mac Software

I forgot about free ware and share ware.

Version Tracker

Last edited by Noah; 12-02-2004 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:54 AM   #11
Taz
Gruff

Taz is on a distinguished road

hey guyys i was talking way back when, the last time i had anything to do with macs was around 1990.

01 TJ, 7" RELA, Onboard air compressor, 36 IROK radials, Dual batteries, Warn 9000 winch/in cab remote, ARB front and rear.

Alaska Extreme Fourwheelers
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:09 PM   #12
-Oney-
Registered Member

-Oney- is on a distinguished road

Both are nice, I know computer gurus that like macs, and that like PC.

Although, if you were to build your own i believe the PC is better bang for your buck, but i could be wrong.

booyaka BOOYAKA
Old 12-02-2004, 12:19 PM   #13
skinner
Registered Member

skinner is on a distinguished road
Default macs

i have been using a mac since 98 and i haven't had any freeze ups (like i did with my pc) i have not ever got a virius from email, and bill gates :devil4: doesn't make any money from me. and if you really need to use pc programs .i saw a program that would let your mac read pc stuff. hope this helped
skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:51 PM   #14
sledneck

sledneck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah
My favorite is that nobody writes viruses for the Mac.
i have somthing to do over x-mass break :devil4: jk

Last edited by sledneck; 12-02-2004 at 01:53 PM.
sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:43 PM   #15
anti-friend
Registered Member

anti-friend is on a distinguished road
Talking

I've always built my own PCs, I've never had any problems doing graphics editing or the such. I don't mind macs, I use one here at work sometimes. Both are good, just depends on your preference really. I prefer PC because most games come out for them though, and you can build one with alot better specs for the money Windows is fine as long as you patch up, and run a firewall and antivirus software, as you should do on a mac as well. Both have their little quirks, and yes, there are emulators to simulate a PC on a Mac, and a Mac on a PC.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:08 PM   #16
EnderUSAF
Registered Member

EnderUSAF is on a distinguished road

I like both PC and Mac, although currently I own a PC. For my needs the PC has more that I use, mainly just stuff like gaming and what not. I like the mac for the imaging capabilities that it has and the stability. Almost all of the pro's out there creating 3d stuff for games use Macs, as does digipen (nintendo sponsored shchool for videogame graphics, and programming) I'd like to get a mac, to compliment my PC, but until I can get the funds that one is on the back burner.
EnderUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 09:49 PM   #17
DNGRRNGR
Banned

DNGRRNGR is on a distinguished road

The only thing about Apple that I like is that they bough NEXT a number of years ago, and I love those boxes for programming and the like......... but I'll always be a PC guy, have always built my own with no issues. I run a dual boot Linix w/ Xwindows and Win2K operating system. Best of both worlds!!
DNGRRNGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 02:02 AM   #18
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

Mac is the same as Apple right? I used Apples a few times when I was in grade school, and that's the last I've seen of them things. I thought they got phased out and replaced by PCs... haha... shows how much I know.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 02:09 AM   #19
MuddyAlaskanXJ
Registered Member

MuddyAlaskanXJ is on a distinguished road

I owned a macintosh classic, and a macintosh Performa 578 and had problems with the performa being way too slow and it just was not as great of a computer as my Dell with Windows XP home edition is. For the most part in my opinion, windows XP is a lot more user friendly then Mac OS8. Things are easier to get to and easier to operate with windows I think. anyway I just generally prefer Windows Based systems.

Just my .02
Old 12-03-2004, 06:11 AM   #20
frostedmom
Registered Member

frostedmom is on a distinguished road

I think my QuarkExpress class was on a Mac (it was also taught by a third grade teacher who had his class publishing the school newsletter using Quark). I didn't think there was much difference but the class wasn't many hours. I have only run into trouble once with Quark files produced on my PC with a local print shop who had trouble with them. It was too bad because another print shop had no trouble at all with a 60+ page document.
I really like ACCESS but don't use it as much as I could. There's a lot of businesses out there using it.
The author of the Tipping Point says that marketing is not the same as it used to be. Many people use advice from friends to determine what and where they will purchase an item. Demand for a product can grown exponentially from out of nowhere. The book traces some trends. I know I don't have the time to do consumer research like I used to years ago. One time when I needed a new printer I called a friend who I knew to be super fussy about color and simply bought the same one she had. I'm going to keep my business with the local independent PC shop. I'm not sure if I've seen any POS software for MACs. Plus my Quickbooks has to be compatible with my accountant's.
frostedmom is offline   Reply With Quote