Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > General Chit-Chat

General Chit-Chat Please keep this CLEAN, and FAMILY ORIENTED.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
spnknu
Registered Member

spnknu has disabled reputation
Default Pilots License

I'm looking to obtain my pilots license this summer. I recently flew in a Super-Cub with my cousin who holds a license and enjoyed it.

Is there anyone on here that holds a pilots license? If so, any pointers as to obtaining the material and channels to go through to get licensed and certified?

Thanks
Old 04-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
AK_Ford
Registered Member

AK_Ford is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pilots License

If they're offering it, sign up for a summer ground school course at uaa. You can fly through them as well or find an instructor. Start getting hours while you're taking the class and you should finish both at the same time and make more sense of it all. The uaa course also includes a couple of simulator sessions with an instructor.
AK_Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
kbeefy
Registered Member

kbeefy is on a distinguished road

get the jeppson test guide for the written test and learn the whole thing. The ground school is helpful to put everything in order, I had to take it before the test guides came out because I didn't have the attention to read the FAR's.
Jon Millers folks used to run take-flight (I think), he might be able to offer some advice.
What do you want to do with this license? it's alot of time and money for recreation. I've had mine since 1990 and only have about 100 hours.

I made a 'blog'!!

'00 F350 7.3, Really big trailer
'86 VW Syncro Vanagon, 2.5l subbie transplant
I only own one of the below vehicles anymore.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
AK_Ford
Registered Member

AK_Ford is on a distinguished road

I should still have all the books and stuff if you want to borrow any of it.
There's also a website called exams4pilots I believe that will generate practice tests to help prep for the written. It's a pretty good tool if you want to try to study for it yourself.

I do agree with Ken though, it's a very expensive hobby to get into and once you have the license you still need to fly and keep current.

Before you do anything go get a medical cert.
AK_Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

When I was 18, my landlord was a pilot/ instructor who owned an aerial photography business. He owned an AT6 trainer, and two Cessnas, a 170 and a 172. He offered to help me get a pilots license-free- if I would help him occasionally help with aircraft maintenance.

Beng the mental giant that I was at 18, I declined and I've regretted the decision ever since. That was in 1964,and I often wonder what I could have done with a pilots license.

Yes, general aviation is expensive, aircraft, maintenance and insurance all contribute to the expense. There are many ways to reduce these costs.

Last edited by wasillashack; 04-26-2012 at 10:08 PM.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Tomahawk3C
Registered Member

Tomahawk3C has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeefy View Post
get the jeppson test guide for the written test and learn the whole thing. The ground school is helpful to put everything in order, I had to take it before the test guides came out because I didn't have the attention to read the FAR's.
Jon Millers folks used to run take-flight (I think), he might be able to offer some advice.
What do you want to do with this license? it's alot of time and money for recreation. I've had mine since 1990 and only have about 100 hours.
As Ken said my folks used to own Take Flight Alaska out there on Merril, I got my pilots licsense through that school back in 2000, as have a couple others on this board. They sold it back in 07' and it has changed hands twice since then, so no idea the quality of it now. Ken did bring up your best option and that is to go out and buy the Jeppesen Private Pilot kit and study those books, the UAA ground School is taught off that subject matter AND yes I agree is a great option for getting that stuff done, knocking that out allows you to concentrate on the flying portions through whatever flight school you choose. Ground School is the most time consuming part of getting your license, BUT will also teach you the most, as it directly relates to what you'll be doing in the air as far as flight planning and understanding weather and principle. DO THAT FIRST!!! Feel free to PM me if you have questions, i'll be happy to help.

"Sua Sponte" - Army Rangers (If you gotta ask you just don't understand)

*****Vice President, Alaska Extreme Four Wheelers*****

98' Ranger
EB D44 SAS w/4.88 & ARB
EB 9" w/4.88 & Detroit
Onboard Air
3.0L Bored
Auto w/Shift Kit
Misc. Tree Induced Body Mods.
Tomahawk3C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
kbeefy
Registered Member

+1 on ground school first! Would have saved me alot of time in the long run. I'd say you'd be ahead of the game if you finish your written before you solo, that way you won't be held up after you finish the practical.

I made a 'blog'!!

Old 04-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
Bronco85
Registered Member

Bronco85 is on a distinguished road

Take flight I think was the company my wife was going through. Too bad she had to quick because she could no longer afford it. I think she stopped around 2004, she was only a few flight hours away...
Bronco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #9
Black Bronco
Registered Member

Black Bronco has disabled reputation

I'm taking Private Pilot ground school with Mark Madden right now, good teacher

Comes with two 1-hour sessions in the flight simulator.
Black Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
jpsfri

jpsfri is on a distinguished road

Mine cost $7000 and now I have a not so shiney card in my wallet. Make sure you have the money to do it in one shot and can continue to fly after, ie, own a plane or have access to one.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
kbeefy
Registered Member

Ouch... I think I was under $3k including a float rating, but that was over 20 years ago. I know the hourly rate had more than doubled when my wife took a few lessons 5 years ago.

I made a 'blog'!!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #12
jpsfri

jpsfri is on a distinguished road

Here is my recommendation.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/2976650652.html

Find an instructor and get your license. I will rent a couple hours of flight time from you to get myself current and occasionally fly.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #13
Tomahawk3C
Registered Member

Tomahawk3C has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeefy View Post
Ouch... I think I was under $3k including a float rating, but that was over 20 years ago. I know the hourly rate had more than doubled when my wife took a few lessons 5 years ago.
Yea Ken, it's insane now, when the fuel prices on 100LL skyrocketed so did the costs for the training, I was under 4k with my instument rating, but that was what over 10 years ago? It's super pricey now.....

"Sua Sponte" - Army Rangers (If you gotta ask you just don't understand)

*****Vice President, Alaska Extreme Four Wheelers*****

98' Ranger
EB D44 SAS w/4.88 & ARB
EB 9" w/4.88 & Detroit
Onboard Air
3.0L Bored
Auto w/Shift Kit
Misc. Tree Induced Body Mods.
Tomahawk3C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #14
spnknu
Registered Member

spnknu has disabled reputation

Woah, didn't know there was so many pilots on here. Thanks for the info so far. I've been doing some of my own research and has helped a little bit. I'll get in contact with UAA for ground school and get the ball rolling and started out. If anyone does have any material they are willing to lend me I'd be more then happy to accept it.

I have no real intention of flying commercially, more of a personal hobby to have. I'd really just like to fly with my cousin on hunting trips and skiing.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #15
kbeefy
Registered Member

If all you want to do is fly with a liscenced pilot, you don't need a liscence. Ground school can't hurt, but maybe just enough lessons to solo.

I made a 'blog'!!

Old 05-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #16
Xaylor
Registered Member

Xaylor has disabled reputation

First post here.

I took a ground school course in Delta Junction from a CFI out of Eielson offered through UAF distance. He was good at teaching the material. He would fly his PA12 down from Eielson every week to teach.

There are opportunities to get reduced tuition on them too; my "center for distance education" offered one as an incentive. Lots of people in the class were vets and got to take it free.

Last edited by Xaylor; 05-05-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Xaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #17
JeffJ
Registered Member

JeffJ will become famous soon enough

Medical first. Make sure you can pass it before you go any further. Research "light sport". You don't need a private license or a medical. If you hold a driver's license, you are good to go. I think Land and Sea Aviation bought Take FLight. Not a bad bunch of folks. Didn't know your folks owned take Flight Jon!

Anyway, stupid expensive hobby. Aircraft are expensive, maint. is expensive, parts are expensive, avgas is expensive, a place to keep it is expensive... Then you have the recuring expenses like oil changes, annuals, medicals, biannual flight review... Then there is the fun with the FAA. Nice bunch of folks... Not.

That said, if you want to explore Alaska, there is really no other way to do it. An airplane will get you places you just can't go otherwise.

What do you want to do with your license? What type of flying do you want to do? My airplane is my offroad vehicle and is set up accordingly...

You should hit the aviation trade show this weekend. It is in the FedEx hanger at the airport. The MayDays Fly-in and STOL competition is in Valdez next weekend and Talkeetna is having an aviation gathering the weekend after that.

"Congress: The only hoe house in the country that is loosing money."
JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #18
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough

Some thots. Do not use your regular doctor for you flight medicals. There may come a time when there are things your regular doc knows that you dont want your flight doc to know. I don't recall flight school being a requirement. Alot of $ for pretty simple stuff if you are motivated. It's been ~30 years, all I recall doing was getting the study material, study it then take the test.