Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > General Chit-Chat

General Chit-Chat Please keep this CLEAN, and FAMILY ORIENTED.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:43 PM   #1
Niko

Niko is on a distinguished road
Default Long atv trails

Starting to plan some of our summer weekend trips and want to hit some long trails. I’m looking for trail suggestions that are fairly remote and long. Some 75+ Mile round trips would be great. We usually go for 2-4 days at a time.

I’ve been all over Petersville, Hatcher’s, Eska, Boulder, Pinochle, Permanente, King River, Klutina Area, Valdez Creek & Windy Creek off Denali Hwy. I’m tired of the same places.

I would like to hit some new areas this year. So far I’m looking at Goober Lake Trail which supposedly goes pretty far into the mountains next to Nelchina Glacier. And maybe the trails back to Yacko Creek. I’ve spent zero time in Eureka.

Also looking at Butte Creek & Swede Lakes, and trails to Big Lake/Deadman Lake. Any other good ones off the Denali Hwy?

Are there any good trails up past Paxton towards where Arctic Man is held?

I’m in a pretty well equipped s x s. My only limiting factor would be water depth & speed. Can’t be crossing fast 3-4 ft rivers with the wife and kiddo.

Last edited by Niko; 02-01-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:47 PM   #2
Niko

Default Re: Long atv trails

Been reading some more and talking to people. Sounds like in Eureka, you can get all the way to the Black River but only big buggies can cross and go further. That’s still a long ways in, 50+ miles one way.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #3
broncoformudv
Registered Member

broncoformudv is on a distinguished road

Goober lake trail goes a long ways if you can cross the Nelchina. From what I understand it was a buggy trail till the moose population took a dive and guides and hunters stopped accessing that area. I have been there on sleds numerous times and only seen a fraction of it.

Swede lake trail covers some ground but you will have a hard time making a loop unless you come out or start at Haggard creek or Meirs lake.

Nothing around Summit lake that goes any distance due to rivers and mountains.

There are trails at the southern end of Fort Greely that go a ways and make loops or can be connected. Coal mine road and 12 mile crossing/33 mile loop.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:31 AM   #4
Niko

Bumping this back up. Went to Eureka this weekend for the first time and covered 118 miles in 2.5 days. Went up Little Nel, through Horsepasture, up Little O, through Gold Creek to Big O, down Big O to Little O, back up Little O to camp, then came out on Red Fox trail.

Would like to go back on another 3 day weekend and cross the Big O and explore trails between Big O and Black River. Could see a lot of trails on the other side of Big O when I was glassing up high above Gold Creek.

Looked like a trail up into a Twin Hills and also saw what looked like trails way further up the Big O. Awesome area. When does it start getting congested with hunters? We didnít hardly see anyone back there.

Next year I will try the Goober Lake trail.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
grizz660
Registered Member

grizz660 has disabled reputation

You could go in there and ride till it's snowed in and never go down all the trails. You just made the popular loop. Nice ride that one is though. Get the topo maps of the area in Eureka- a lot of trails are marked. Big Bones which is east of the O is a nice ride if you can make it. Best moose hunting is that direction where trees meet the tundra like Daisy Cr. Nice trail into and lot of riding in there. Asking where to go in is hard because like I said you ain't never going to ride all the trails in there. I've been going in there for over 20 years and still have trails I want to check out. You would be better off checking the topos- pick a area then ask back as to how doable that ride is. Never seen it congested with hunters. Sure you are going to see a few people where ever you plan to hunt but never saw congestion. Too much country, too few people willing to travel 40 miles in. I guess to some hunters even having one other group in the valley is congestion. You were in the best area in the state to ride atvs IMO and you ain't never going to make it down all them trails. Have fun trying though, that's what it's about.
grizz660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:36 PM   #6
Niko

Thanks for the info. I’m not interested in hunting there, I have a different place I hunt moose that’s not a zoo. I just like getting out and exploring with the wife and kid. We usually get out for 3-5 days at a time.

I’ve actually been searching old threads on here and the outdoor forum about doing Eureka to Pinochle via headwaters of Little Nel to Billy Creek or Cardioceras Creek to Mazuma Creek but most of the info is all from 2008-2010. I want to go back to Euereka and push towards Billy/Mazuma as far as possible then spend another weekend doing the same thing from the Pinochle side. Info from years ago suggested Mazuma was blocked by a rock slide and Billy Creek gets narrow up top.

There was a trail at the end of the Little O that kept going straight. We ran it to the falls then turned around to run Gold Creek. Does that trail connect to the headwaters of the Big O?

Last edited by Niko; 07-25-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:51 AM   #7
Hawthorn
Registered Member

Hawthorn has disabled reputation

Excellent trails by the sounds of it. Hopefully I'll have a chance to experience some of them when I visit the area in a couple of months. Will any of you guys be riding at that time?
Hawthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:24 PM   #8
Niko

Went into Pinochle Saturday and made it up Mazuma to the landslide and thereís a trail that drops down to the creek. Went to the creek and turned around, winched up the hill and camped at the base of the mountain.

Talked to some sheep hunters on four wheelers and they said you can get into Eureka if you have enough gas. Trail was in pretty good shape, made it to the base of Mazum in about 3.5 hours from the parking lot.

Anyway, going back August 25,26,27 if weather is decent. Will camp at the base of Mazuma Friday with the intention of getting as far up Mazuma as possible on Saturday and then coming out Sunday. Awesome terrain up there.

Last edited by Niko; 08-12-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:06 AM   #9
murphyslaw
Registered Member

murphyslaw is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a fun trip. I would love to get out and explore that area more. Have only done the 3 main trails out at Eureka. Going back out there at the end of the month actually.

We carry guns here, act accordingly.
when in doubt, part it out.

murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote