Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc)

Old 11-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
AMC4ME
Registered Member

AMC4ME has disabled reputation
Default '81 Jeep Cherokee

Hey gang! I just scored a *FREE* FSJ '81 Jeep Cherokee a few weeks ago! I even got the title to boot !

The body is decent but needs mechanical work. I'm currently just trying to get her road worthy without spending so much money to see what I have.

A 360 V8 5.9L engine is under the hood. I've replaced a bad coil, distibuter cap, rotor, spark plugs, cables, steering pump hoses, battery, and battery cables. The Jeep has been sitting for a few years and I was quite suprised that she cranked over. However, I have to pour a few shots of gas into the carb for initial start. It might be a bad fuel pump and or clogged fuel filter. Perhaps I have a vacuum leak? I can only reach about 25mph .

I live in Palmer and hope to get this thing moving soon. Any FSJ owners out there?

Last edited by AMC4ME; 11-08-2008 at 10:31 AM.
AMC4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
AMC4ME
Registered Member

Default Re: '81 Jeep Cherokee

Bump...............
Old 11-10-2008, 12:43 AM   #3
RWC
Registered Member

RWC will become famous soon enough

Accelerator pump? Make sure you trace through that rats next of vacuum lines too.
Electromatic Tamper. I want one of those. Does it smash stuff? I don't even care. It can just sit there and menace at other tools that are near it. . . . I've now decided that alot more of the powered devices in my house should be titled 'Electromatic'.

- Show trucks are like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt: great to look at, but you can't do a d@mn thing with 'em.
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:08 AM   #4
ODDBALL
GRIND MASTER!

ODDBALL is on a distinguished road

The carb sounds to be the prob for you. Ummm, I stared with a full size just like that.. Good rig as long as you take care of it.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
AMC4ME
Registered Member

I'm missing driver side exhaust down pipe from manifold. Would this cause a lag from no back pressure ? And yes, I would agree upon either rebuilding and or replacing my existing carb.. I did replace the fuel pump and filter this last weekend that seems to help on the initial starting. Idles fine too.