Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc)

Old 09-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
spnknu
Registered Member

spnknu has disabled reputation
Default 04 Ranger Needs to be leveled

So I got around to spending some money on my ranger and noticed my truck sits raked, back end up in the air. I read about cranking my torsion bars a little bit to get 1"-2" out of the front end. The difference between the back end and front end is about 3" inches.

I just want it to sit level and maybe put some larger tires on it to give the truck more of a stable stance and cleaner look.

So will cranking my torsion bars help lift the front of my ranger? I know I'll need an alignment after I crack the bars, but I have access to an aligner to get that taken care of.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
LIMA BEAN
Registered Member

LIMA BEAN is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 04 Ranger Needs to be leveled

Go here http://www.therangerstation.com/ there is loads of Ranger info there and people are glad to help. Should be able to find a step by step in the tech library and if I remember you should be able to get about 2"-3".

~I wouldnt give much for our chances, us running around in the middle of the night looking for something that if we found it, it might kill us~

Last edited by LIMA BEAN; 09-23-2010 at 07:54 PM.
LIMA BEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
gavin
Registered Member

gavin is on a distinguished road

you can't get any more than ~2" lift out of cranking the bars, otherwise it puts the half-shafts' CV's at too high of an angle and will cause premature wear.

you would also need to get a set of camber adjustment bolts to replace the OEM bolts for the upper control arms, since the OEM bolts don't allow for much adjustment.

Temporarily retired: 1986 Bronco 2, getting an SAS. Finally getting some progress.
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
Red_Ak_Ranger
Registered Member

Red_Ak_Ranger is on a distinguished road

You can also replace your tbars.

Quote:
1 code torsion bars:

F67Z-5B326-FB Drivers side bar
F67Z-5B326-FA Pass side bar

B code torsion bars:

F57Z-5B327-A Drivers side bar
F57Z-5B326-A Pass side bar
#1 bars are the strongest. B is the second strongest. Depending on what type of ranger you have, you probably have weaker bars. Oh, and in this case, "strong = more lift, less sag, kind of rougher ride". And I cranked my tbars, really easy to do and I never got an alignment and was fine, BUT i still recommend getting an alignment.

Check out www.ranger-forums.com for more info. TheRangerStation tends to be a lot more about older rangers.
Red_Ak_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
spnknu
Registered Member

spnknu has disabled reputation

Planning on cranking the keys on Thursday and will be doing the alignment the same day. So I'll see how bad I'm out of spec on my camber and order adjustment kits according as Moog only allows -1.250 & +1.250 where the Ingalls allows -2.500 & +2.500.

Will also be ordering my muffler and gauges at the same time so I will have something to do in class after we take our mid-term.

I'll keep ya posted.