Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:36 PM   #51
yellowk20
Registered Member

yellowk20 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 73-79'ish Ford F100/F250 build

Nice ! she is really coming togeher!
yellowk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:50 PM   #52
AKCCF350
Registered Member

AKCCF350 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowk20 View Post
Nice ! she is really coming togeher!
Thanks man. Being unemployed has given me a little bit more time lately...

Currently, my truck is under the knife....
AKCCF350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:02 PM   #53
AKCCF350
Registered Member

So, I started a new job a few months ago. A little more cash flow again (I was able to get the bills caught back up after being out of work for 3 months), but a little less free time to wrench.

My oil pressure adapter contraption would not stop leaking, I tried a few different times with no luck.

I asked about it on another forum and a member had an idea for another design that solved the problem. I like the way it turned out.

Plus I found a time delay relay that I am going to install in the fuel system that will turn the fuel pump on for 5-7 seconds with the key in the run position before I set the choke and fire the truck up. It will work much like an EFI rig has the fuel pump turn on for a few seconds when you hit the run position.

Progress is slow, but always in the right direction...

Old 08-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #54
frankenstien
Registered Member

frankenstien is on a distinguished road

just saw this thread, its looking good, my favorite body style of ford trucks

2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax Diesel- 452hp/962tq on P3's dyno

2015 Ford Expedition EL - Wife's rig
frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:01 AM   #55
AKCCF350
Registered Member

Thank you.

Looks like most of my pictures are gone due to a change in the policy at Imageshack... F'ing great!!!

A fair amount of small stuff done since my last update. Re-did the intake manifold due to a leak at the back side of the manifold. Purely my fault as I didn't get enough sealant on it the first time. I decided to dimple the mating surface in the manifold as well as the china wall, that should help it hold a little better.

The work on the intake:

I had been driving the truck around the neighborhood working out some adjustment issues with the carb and it was running pretty good. Cold start, choke setting, vacuum, plugs, man it all was looking pretty good and running good. Two hitches ago when we had a cold spell, I couldn't get the **** thing to run worth a crap. In getting pissed off, I started searching for a "affordable" EFI swap option. Well, as most of you know, that stuff's pretty outlandish as far as pricing. That is until I stumbled upon the Holley Sniper EFI system, not available till spring... crap, not going to work. A little more research and I came up with a system by FiTech and it looks a lot like the Holley system. More research, reading reviews and questions back and forth with the MFG and I decided to pull the trigger.

I was able to start on the install last R&R, but due to some of my "supporting" parts not showing up till right when I was heading back out to the job site and working from home during my week off, I did not get it completed.

I have the throttle body mounted, started running the new fuel line to the high pressure pump, installed the O2 sensor, installed the coolant temp sensor, identified all my wiring connections and started the fuel tank modifications (I still have a bit of work to do on this).

Due to the fact that the high pressure pump on the frame rail being higher than the bottom of the fuel tank, I had the hair-brain idea to install a low pressure in-tank pusher pump. I sourced a Delphi low pressure pump for an 88 Bronco and have modified the stock sending unit to accept the electric fuel pump. It might not be necessary, but I thought it would be a good idea to install a pusher pump. I am waiting on some wire that is rated to be submerged in gasoline to arrive to wire the in-tank pump. I need to modify the fuel tank a little more for the fuel pump and wiring, but I have that laid out in my mind already.

If I decided to just install the system without adding "other" stuff, I might have been able to finish. I get home in a couple weeks, I should be able to finish up.

I added a return line connection to the tank using a bulkhead compression fitting, this was pretty straightforward. For now, I am going to use the factory fuel supply line as my return line. Eventually, I will run a new line parallel to the new supply line I am currently installing.

I also added a vent line connection to help out with the fuel not backing up in the filler neck when fueling up the truck.

Still much to do, but it's a start.

I am pretty stoked about the EFI swap and am ready to get back home and finish it up.

EDIT -

I received real good customer service from the company I found to supply the wiring for my in-tank fuel pump. I sent them a question on Saturday inquiring if their wire was rated for being submerged in gasoline and received a response on Sunday stating, "Thank you for your email. The answer is yes – Tefzel is rated to be able to be completely submerged in gasoline, so any wire you find on our site will meet that criteria. Just let us know if you have any other questions!"

SWEET!!! I placed the order yesterday and received the shipping confirmation yesterday as well. Great customer service!!!

Here is the site - http://www.corsa-technic.com

Last edited by AKCCF350; 12-08-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:48 PM   #56
AKCCF350
Registered Member

The tank is modified with a LP Pusher Fuel Pump to feed the HP Fuel Pump, a larger vent connection and a return fuel inlet.

Forgive the rusty frame

Lots of progress, but nothing real picture worthy...

Tank w/ LP Fuel Pump, HP Fuel Pump all installed. The wiring is 99% complete.

I just need to finish the two fuel lines and I'll be ready to put fuel back in the ol'girl.

Last edited by AKCCF350; 01-06-2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:01 PM   #57
AKCCF350
Registered Member

Ok, got it to fire up and found no leaks so far.

I let it idle for a couple hours total, varying the throttle to help the ECU learn a few things. Overall, I am pretty impressed and pleased with the results.

One common issue that a few people had was the idle not coming down properly, I am having the same issue. It wants to idle between 1000-1100 RPM's. for everyone else it was an easy fix once they contacted FiTech. I will contact them tomorrow and get it sorted out. I could probably fix it myself, but I want it recorded with the MFG that I am having the issue as well.

I took it for a short drive around the neighborhood and it drove better that when I thought I had the carb dialed in pretty good.

I'll post more tomorrow when I do a cold start. Now that it has done a little bit of learning, it should fire up with no issue.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:37 PM   #58
AKCCF350
Registered Member

On the 18th...

Well, this morning when I tried the first cold start, needless to say it didn't go well. It fired like it was going to start and only ran for a second and then nothing. I got ahold of FiTech and the tech I spoke with was certain it sounded like a low voltage issue for the "key on" signal wire. I did some testing and he was correct. My battery was only showing 11.7 volts and when the starter slung over, my signal wire was down around the 8-9 volt mark.

It was trying to start because it was firing off the primer shot that is given for start-up, kind of like dumping gas in the barrels of a carb...

I did some more digging and testing of wires and found almost all the circuits I tested dropped way down when I was cranking the starter.

The starter cranks like the dickens, so I did not think I had any kind of voltage issue. I guess I need to break down and build the battery cables I was going to a while back and see if that helps. (I really think this could be a major part of the issue)

I was able to get it to fire up this evening though. I connected two batteries in parallel and it fired right up. Let it run for a bit and it would start with just one battery, but let it sit a couple hours and it needed the second battery to fire up.

Luckily, FiTech has a pretty good staff. They are going to look into some programing that will allow mine to fire with less than optimal voltage. I will still push forward getting my electrical stuff sorted out, but I am pleased that they are going to see what they can do to help.

Tomorrows another day, I'll post back how it goes.

Today...

I spent some time on the phone and the computer with a FiTech tech and we worked through some issues. Mostly it was my truck, but partially due to the fact they didn't count on an old dirty electrical system when they designed the EFI System.

They created a program and emailed it to me to load onto the handheld monitor, then upload to the ECM. That was a bit of a process, but only because I am computer illiterate... It really wasn't all that bad once I figured it out. Still some issues, but non their fault.

I got the Carquest Platinum AGM battery later today, made some new 2 GA cables and installed everything. She fired right up.

I got some more instructions from him regarding the adjusting the idle. Followed the instructions, she is purring like a kitten, ok well a kitten learning to purr...

Took her for a little drive and smiled

I'll post back tomorrow how the cold start goes.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:40 AM   #59
AKCCF350
Registered Member

Great News!!!

She fired up this morning and idled, very rough and at a super low idle, but still started and ran.

All I need to do now is find the way to control the cold start idle and warm up idle. It was trying to idle down around 350-400 RPM's.

Another baby step...

Old 01-24-2016, 09:54 PM   #60
AKCCF350
Registered Member

Well, I spent the 22nd trying some different settings, letting it cool down and then trying other settings. Man, these things take forever to cool down enough to work on cold start issues.

I worked with a FiTech tech in Washington and I think we're on the right track. It started much better than any other time before. I had to head back to work on the 23rd, so no more working on the truck for a while. This will give FiTech and myself time to figure this out. They supposedly have sold a few units to Canadians, so I know I will be able to overcome this issue. So far, while it has not been quite as "Plug & Play" as I'd hoped, I can see the potential and their tech support has been fantastic.

I'll post more once I get back home, whenever that is...