Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #251
RWC
Registered Member

RWC will become famous soon enough
Default Re: And thus, it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbear View Post
I like that webbing layout. Looks stout
Thanks!

One thing I just learned as Dusty has been trying to burn it all in with a 220 mig: apparently Lincoln flux-core has higher nickel content and isn't compatible with other wires. Doh!
Electromatic Tamper. I want one of those. Does it smash stuff? I don't even care. It can just sit there and menace at other tools that are near it. . . . I've now decided that alot more of the powered devices in my house should be titled 'Electromatic'.

- Show trucks are like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt: great to look at, but you can't do a d@mn thing with 'em.
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #252
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

Oh, ok , didn't notice the date. Think it's the first time I've looked at this thread in a while.

Welding properly over fluxcore will be near impossible unless it's all ground out.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #253
RWC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
Oh, ok , didn't notice the date. Think it's the first time I've looked at this thread in a while.

Welding properly over fluxcore will be near impossible unless it's all ground out.
According to Dusty, who's currently taking a class at UAA and is the star student, and according to his professors, it's not normally a big deal to weld over flux core so long as the spatter and smoke cr@p gets cleaned out, which can normally be accomplished easily with a wire brush. The problem is that the wire I used isn't compatible with other wire; flux core or otherwise.
Electromatic Tamper. I want one of those. Does it smash stuff? I don't even care. It can just sit there and menace at other tools that are near it. . . . I've now decided that alot more of the powered devices in my house should be titled 'Electromatic'.

- Show trucks are like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt: great to look at, but you can't do a d@mn thing with 'em.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #254
turk
Registered Member

turk is on a distinguished road

I would have burned it in with stick. some tough access in that bumper, and not much disagrees with 7018
Old 04-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #255
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

Now that I think about it, everytime I've had to MIG weld over flux core it was someone's "welding" job that looked like a flock of birds had Taco Bell the night before

Probably a combo of poor welding procedure and the flux.

Probably could grab some 6011 or 7018 rod and weld up that bumper, no real reason it NEEDS to be MIG welded.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington

Last edited by nate; 04-10-2013 at 10:54 AM.
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #256
RWC
Registered Member

I've got a 220v and an arc welder at home, but Dusty was excited to take it to class and offered several times to weld it up for me. I think he TIGd everything on the front that will show.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #257
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Sold my Scrambler to the guy who runs a recycle business in Homer, can't remember his name or business name. It was blue metallic, chrome spoke wheels, half cab.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #258
Polack
Registered Member

Polack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasillashack View Post
Sold my Scrambler to the guy who runs a recycle business in Homer, can't remember his name or business name. It was blue metallic, chrome spoke wheels, half cab.
airbrushed "SCRAMBLER" on the hood? Brat seats in the back..?
Old 05-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #259
RWC
Registered Member

Welded.

Ready for powder coating. (Next paycheck.)

Old 05-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #260
sledheadak

sledheadak is on a distinguished road

looks good

"When the red river is flowing, always take the dirt road home"

This truck could be more politically incorrect only if it ran on whale oil and panda tears

OMFG!!! Midget Lesbians?? Only thing that could make it better is if one were an amputee!!!

I am running the new Italian tire, Deygo's
Deygo on snow, deygo on ice, when deygo go flat, deygo wap wap wap
sledheadak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #261
chadcmb
Registered Member

chadcmb has disabled reputation

get a winch saver.
chadcmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #262
RWC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcmb View Post
get a winch saver.
Ah, my young grasshopper. You have much history to learn before telling me about a winch saver.

Please take note of the two hand savers attached to the winch line (permanently from the factory) and to the hook base.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #263
Polack
Registered Member

Polack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWC View Post
Ah, my young grasshopper. You have much history to learn before telling me about a winch saver.

Please take note of the two hand savers attached to the winch line (permanently from the factory) and to the hook base.
Ya I thought that was kind of a strange comment.

Chad, was that supposed to be funny, or just a funny coincidence
Old 06-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #264
RWC
Registered Member

A friend came over tonight and we banged out a lot of work in three hours. Got the old springs out, pulled a leaf from each, opened up the hole for a larger pin, put each leaf into each new RE pack, opened up corresponding holes for the larger pins in the perches and plates, installed the new packs, and did final installation of the bumper (which I picked up from powder coating today).

It settled very slightly just driving around the neighborhood, but it still has a noticeable rake. My plan is to use the other three leaves from each former front pack and insert them into the rear, but I think I may need a new set of rear springs now.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #265
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

ChevyMan0784 will become famous soon enough

Looks good Rob! Wish I was making as much progress on mine... Lol.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #266
RWC
Registered Member

What's most significant is getting the front springs in. That should have cleared up my steering issue. Still not a permanent solution, but nothing is making contact for the moment. Still need new ball joints (and high steer).

Old 10-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #267
RWC
Registered Member

Scrambler is at Underground. That is all.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #268
Sean76
Sick of Idiots!

Sean76 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWC View Post
Scrambler is at Underground. That is all.
For?
Sean76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #269
RWC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean76 View Post
For?
What Nick does best: working magic on the dyno.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #270
RWC
Registered Member

Long time no update. End of October's dyno attempt brought about the discovery that my ECU wasn't sending the advance signal to the distributor. October led to November, which involved two trips to the L48, time at our other place, and then December, which was full of holiday-related weekends, and then caribou hunting.

Since I had MLK Day off, it was a three-day weekend that we spent at home, and I was granted some garage time. Garage time was predicated on me 1) solving the grinding noise from the front of her 5.9L ZJ (solved: idler pulley), 2) fixing her driver's side seat heater (done), and 3) trying to make the ZJ put out more heat (failed). I also cleaned up some wiring from installing her light bar with a proper fuse holder, and generally just cleaned and vacuumed it out.

THEN I got to move on to . . . my Subaru. It's had a CEL on since the last time I got it back from the shop circa September for some head work. I found a loose wire on the front O2 sensor (changed the sensor), and they'd incorrectly routed the vacuum lines after pulling the engine.

AND FINALLY I got to work on the Scrambler! Woot!

Back in October, in doing some research on what was going on with the advance signal for a 7-pin HEI ignition module, I was reminded of what I had to do to make it all work to begin with: install relay to interrupt the advance signal during the start. This was per a Holley tech circa 2002. I did it, but it was kind of a hack-job with a cheap relay that I just left sitting on the intake manifold. When I went pull the 401 from the CJ-7, I found that the relay had melted anyway; I have no idea how long ago it failed. I just pulled it out completely and have been running it in the 8 this entire time with no advance signal, not realizing that I didn't have an advance signal!

Here are the instructions that I found from MegaSquirt which jogged my memory, and pointed out that the relay actually had a function:

I have the 7-pin, which is the top-right. It's a transition era module, from when the HEI went from the 4-pin with vacuum advance, to the external-coil ignition (the external-coil module is the lower-left). I wanted to keep the coil-in-cap style to keep the engine compartment a little cleaner, plus the ProJection harness plugged directly into the OEM GM 7-pin harness. The melted relay, which I didn't throw away from some reason, is the paper-weight.

Rest of the MegaSquirt instructions.

So I hacked my harness apart and started splicing/soldering. The plastic connector sticking out of the OEM CJ loom (laying across the valve cover) was where I spliced/soldered/shrink-tubed a T to the solenoid activation wire (the blue wire that gets a signal when you turn the key to the "start" position). That leads up to the relay to kill the timing advance signal only while the key is in the "start" position.

Cleaned up a looking slightly prettier. If I get motivated, I may move the relay to under the A/C bracket.

And I've confirmed the advance signal is now getting to the distributor. It runs nice and happy with 5 degrees of base timing, and roughly 7-10 degrees of electronic advance from the ECU, around idle. When I bump the electronic advance up to 35 or 40 degrees, it'll start, but it runs like a$$ and wants to die. Woot! Advance signal is working!

It still needs lots of tuning, but I'm making progress. I'm hoping I'll be able to come up with some cash next month and get back on the dyno.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:26 PM   #271
bigtex
Registered Member

bigtex is on a distinguished road

Whatcha doin this weekend? I want to see this thing in person.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...lack-81-a.html
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...bler-tech.html
bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:02 PM   #272
RWC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex View Post
Whatcha doin this weekend? I want to see this thing in person.
My wife will be gone, so there's an excellent chance I'll be in the garage! I need to do some deep-cleaning and re-organizing. And gun cleaning. If I get all that done, I may start cutting on her 5.9L or designing my traction bar.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #273
bigtex
Registered Member

bigtex is on a distinguished road

See ya then
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...lack-81-a.html
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...bler-tech.html
bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #274
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Rob,
Didn't realize you are using MS to control your EFI. I'm considering MS for my odd fire v6 CJ6, I was really surprised to see the MS pages in your build thread. When I started doing research on MS, it was the only ECU that would control an odd fire, now there are alternatives.

Polack,
I apologize for not answering sooner, just started reading this thread again. Yes, our old Scrambler is the one you described, it had a 400 SBC/TH400/205? in it. Do you know anything about this CJ8?

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:48 AM   #275
RWC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasillashack View Post
Rob,
Didn't realize you are using MS to control your EFI. I'm considering MS for my odd fire v6 CJ6, I was really surprised to see the MS pages in your build thread. When I started doing research on MS, it was the only ECU that would control an odd fire, now there are alternatives.
I'm not using MegaSquirt. My system is a Holley Pro-Jection 4Di. I found those MegaSquirt instructions when I was using Google to search for details on how the GM 7-pin HEI ignition module worked. The instructions describe the functioning of the system in relatively generic terms, so they applied to what I was doing. I don't know jack about MegaSquirt, but I'm still a believer in the Holley Pro-Jection 4Di.