Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #276
RWC
Registered Member

RWC will become famous soon enough
Default Re: And thus, it begins

$h!t, I haven't updated this in a while.

Great day at the cleanup in May. RoverX and I went all the way to the glacier. Ended up dragging the back seat from something like a 12 passenger van back from the beaver ponds all the way through to that overflow where the Toyota just went down, where we ran into a flatbed Unimog and happily deposited the cargo. AND major props to Jason for going back and grabbing my Spiderco at the ponds (it was a gift from my wife).

Then my other-buddy-Dusty forgot to latch my hood (and my safety catch no longer has sheetmetal to catch on), and had me take a chick that he was mackin' on for a spin around the block, resulting in this:

Acquired a new hood on CL:

But I don't have the $400 I need to get it painted.

Since the rear spring were trash, I ordered a set of RE1430s for the rear, expecting to add a couple leaves to the pack from the dead OME springs. Got the OME packs out in the middle of July.

Finally got a garage day today. Pounded the hood straight, and assembled the custom rear leaf packs.

Electromatic Tamper. I want one of those. Does it smash stuff? I don't even care. It can just sit there and menace at other tools that are near it. . . . I've now decided that alot more of the powered devices in my house should be titled 'Electromatic'.

- Show trucks are like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt: great to look at, but you can't do a d@mn thing with 'em.

Last edited by RWC; 08-03-2014 at 06:53 PM.
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:38 PM   #277
scumby
Registered Member

scumby is on a distinguished road

nice postal in the background, how goes it's build?
Old 08-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #278
RWC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumby View Post
nice postal in the background, how goes it's build?
I'll get around to it! I just built a 5.9L Grand Cherokee in the last 9 months!

My goal before the snow flies is to get Scumby I stripped and scrapped so I can get the running postal in the garage.
Electromatic Tamper. I want one of those. Does it smash stuff? I don't even care. It can just sit there and menace at other tools that are near it. . . . I've now decided that alot more of the powered devices in my house should be titled 'Electromatic'.

- Show trucks are like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt: great to look at, but you can't do a d@mn thing with 'em.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:49 PM   #279
RWC
Registered Member

In prepping for the rescue, as I was airing up my tires that Saturday night, I realized that my left front shackle was no longer connected to the frame. It turns out the hangers had loosened up on both sides, with the left having one bolt backed out entirely and the other sheared off; the spring was riding directly on the frame. Whoops. I have no idea how long it had been like that, but I haven't driven it much lately, and I have a pic from August showing the shackle in place. Either way, I re-coated that side since all the POR-15 was gone.

Shackle hangers re-attached with blue Lock-Tite last night, and torqued to 75 ft-lbs. I'll keep a better eye on them from here on out.

On another note, while working on the shackles, I got a brilliant idea for mounting my bump-stops. And since my wife just started a new job with field work, she's gone for a week which means I got almost an entire undisturbed day in the garage!

I couldn't find any clean-looking extended CJ bump stops in the aftermarket. I liked the old Rancho ones, but they aren't in production anymore. What's worse is that at least for the front stops, the TDK frame has a bend RIGHT AT THE STOP that you have to deal with.

Circa 2011, I'd ordered some DayStar bump stops. I don't recall if they were generic or fit a particular full-size application, but I liked them because they were longer. They arrived and I figured I'd fab up some kind of adapter...eventually. They don't bolt up to the CJ frame at all because the spacing for the bolt holes is over an inch off.

Then it hit me: there is more steel embedded in the center of the stop. By drilling through it, and using a stud, I could bolt them directly to the frame! Eureka!

As you can see, I did have to bend the plate at the back edge to get it to match the frame contour. Clamping it in the vice and smacking it with the hammer worked surprisingly well.

Same technique for the rears. Since I re-used my SUA skid-plate-style spring plates, it gave me a nice flat spot for the stops to contact after I trimmed the u-bolts. I didn't bother with the fronts because I don't thing it'll hit them due to the rear offset of the stop. I'll trim later if it's an issue.

Now, what to do with the pesky fronts? No simple solution. Welding was in order.

I'll get them installed tomorrow after the final coats are dry. And hopefully get some time on the traction bar before the game.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:38 AM   #280
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough

"Now, what to do with the pesky fronts? No simple solution. Welding was in order."

The raised pad seems a little narrow. Does it still hit that when you flex?
Old 02-01-2015, 09:25 AM   #281
RWC
Registered Member

We'll find out!

Old 02-01-2015, 01:03 PM   #282
RWC
Registered Member

I finished the paint, bolted the plates back on, and trimmed the u-bolt ends. Then I took it to grab a coffee and flexed on a snowbank to see if I got the contact pad spaced correctly:

I felt a tire lift and didn't want to go any further than this. None of the stops touched, but they're at least in the correct spots:

So I still need to come up with some kind of additional spacer, or taller stops.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:34 PM   #283
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

ChevyMan0784 will become famous soon enough

I made spacers to drop the bump down. The spacers are welded to the frame with a place to bolt the bumps on from there. If you're handy, you can even make them adjustable.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:44 PM   #284
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Rob, obviously you got the distributor gear issue sorted out?

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #285
RWC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasillashack View Post
Rob, obviously you got the distributor gear issue sorted out?
Long time ago. I went back to an OEM cover, with a stainless end-plate for the oil pump gears, and bought a set of brand-name MSD distributor/cam gears (twice the cost of Crown). I pulled the distributor at just over 100 miles to take a look and the wear-pattern was fine.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #286
RWC
Registered Member

Went wheeling on Sunday to test out the traction bar. It worked flawlessly! Not sure how/if it impacted articulation, but the Jeep definitely "feels" tighter in the rear end, and it launches absolutely straight:

I still need to get it in a more controlled situation to test flex, but so far I'm happy; it didn't seem to handle any differently on the trail, except that the rear-end absolutely hooked-up when I stood on the gas. I'd dumped the clutch at Knik last year for the clean-up with the old springs, and we could hear the u-joint binding up from the axle-wrap. No more funny noises this time! And the traction-bar didn't seem to hit anything either. I think this is a mission-accomplished. Watch for the patent after a little more testing.

And then further down the trail, this happened:

That tire had a slow leak from the bead to begin with, and I think I must have just hit something right and caused it to burp a little more air, and then it lost the bead. I was trying to get it a little more out of the muck, but was at least happy to get that rim up and out onto the grass to change the tire. Speaking of which, I'd just picked my spare back up from my buddy the night before this trip! Thank God I had it with me!

When I was changing the tire I noticed this. After I got the tire sorted, I wanted to reposition to a better spot to try to straighten it, but that was a miserable failure and just bent the draglink worse. Best part: I didn't have my Hi-Lift with me since I'd rebuilt it and painted it to match my wife's 5.9L ZJ, so it was on her roof-rack. (Plus I wanted to buy myself a taller Hi-Lift for the Scrambler anyway.)

Wishbone. Who would've guessed? Oh, and I also had a hub that had rusted itself into 2WD, which took two hours to get sorted before we even got the lake.

Thankfully Jared offered to sacrifice his jack handle. We had to drill a series of holes to shorten it since nobody had a saw, but we made it work, and I drove all the way home like this, including on the highway at 85 mph. Straight as an arrow on the road!

What's better is that I have the RuffStuff 1.5" DOM sitting in the garage, so I'm not even the least bit upset about the steering! But I do owe Jared a new handle.

Safely back home.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:40 PM   #287
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough

Nice trail fix. Love it when things finally come together.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:09 PM   #288
RWC
Registered Member

Forgot to mention: I have four GM 1-ton TREs (two left, two right), with two sticks of 1.5" x .25" DOM, complete with weld-in bungs and jam nuts, all waiting quietly in the garage for me to get the flat-top knuckles machined and set up with high-steer arms.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:39 PM   #289
MOBB1N
Registered Member

MOBB1N has disabled reputation

Saw you going to the valley as I was heading into town and coming back to town as I was heading home Sunday. Looks like you had a great time!
MOBB1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:45 PM   #290
bigtex
Registered Member

bigtex is on a distinguished road

Felt nice to ride with someone this time and really enjoy the scenery. Havent done that in a while.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...lack-81-a.html
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...bler-tech.html
bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:07 PM   #291
RWC
Registered Member

Wait; what's happening?

Old 05-06-2015, 11:02 PM   #292
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

" 85MPH" sounds like you have the gear issue resolved. LOL!

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:43 AM   #293
scumby
Registered Member

scumby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWC View Post

Wait; what's happening?
Hmm, those rims don't look like they'll fit the current axles
Old 05-07-2015, 09:10 AM   #294
RWC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasillashack View Post
" 85MPH" sounds like you have the gear issue resolved. LOL!
The distributor drive gear issue wasn't speed dependent. I lost one going 70 or 75 on my way to Girdwood. I also lost one while not doing much more than an idle. Either way, I pulled the gear out at 100 miles to inspect it and all looked good. I stabbed it back in and haven't looked back!

And yes, it's easy for me to max out my speedo. Stupid 1980s vehicle regulations.

Last edited by RWC; 05-07-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:11 AM   #295
RWC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumby View Post
Hmm, those rims don't look like they'll fit the current axles
Nope. Which is why I posted a WTB thread looking for rims.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:13 AM   #296
RWC
Registered Member

I will FINALLY have real steering! I'm so excited!

Old 06-13-2015, 08:56 AM   #297
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

ChevyMan0784 will become famous soon enough

So get them on already!
Old 06-29-2015, 08:42 PM   #298
bigtex
Registered Member

bigtex is on a distinguished road

Bout time
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...lack-81-a.html
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...bler-tech.html
bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:31 AM   #299
RWC
Registered Member

Got started on Sunday. Wasted two hours running around trying to find a spanner, and then argued with it for 45 minutes on torque specs. Spindle bearing was shot, and then had to clean up the surface on the stub, and on the back of the spindle for the dust seal. At least the bearing grease looked good, but after getting all the u-joint grease fittings reinstalled I realized I forgot to install the new dust seal, so I had to pull the shaft out again. The lockouts needed to be disassembled so I could clean them. Got it all torqued, and realized I forgot to grease the upper ball joint, so I have to pull the whole thing back apart.

But last night I needed to work on the ZJ, and I'll be doing more ZJ work tonight as well.

Last edited by RWC; 06-30-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:02 PM   #300
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

Raven will become famous soon enoughRaven will become famous soon enough

OK, so, I know practice makes perfect, but you're taking this a bit far. Stop playing the Eric impersonation game and get this done already.

Emerald Isle Offroad- The few, the proud, the completely isolated.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote