Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:58 PM   #51
bigsub
Been there, done that.

bigsub is on a distinguished road
Default Re: And thus, it begins

Nice!!
Old 12-21-2007, 09:17 PM   #52
gwilliamson
Registered Member

gwilliamson is on a distinguished road

nice man

08 Puma Unleashed 23fbu Toy hauler
04 Chevrolet Silverado 4'' tb exhaust, egr delete, Edge Juice, sb intake, pcv reroute
86 MJCRZY isuzu 2.2l diesel, 4" on 33" boggers, nates offroad fab bumper, 8274, 10 bolt fnt, 4.10's
86 XJCRZY - teraflex steering, 37x13 boggers on centerlines, custom bumpers, m8000, locked front and welded rear 4.56
gwilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:18 PM   #53
dman357
Let it SNOW!

dman357 is on a distinguished road

Old 12-22-2007, 10:34 AM   #54
Noah
Registered Member

Noah is on a distinguished road

Stop taking pictures and pull the crate apart.
Noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:26 PM   #55
Logjam
Superchic

Logjam has disabled reputation

Did they make it out of galvanized steel or did they galvanize it afterwards? The welds look galvanized too.
After seeing these tires I think that the 30 splines would get scared and go limp and not go in the housing! I think these tires have rockwells writen all over them!

www.brokenyoke.com
Logjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:47 PM   #56
RWC
Registered Member

RWC will become famous soon enough

It was hot-dip galvanized in Spokane after being assembled in Montana. Little Giant and I will be prepping it at 5-Star tonight, and painting it with POR-15 tomorrow.

In the meantime, pics from unloading earlier today:

Electromatic Tamper. I want one of those. Does it smash stuff? I don't even care. It can just sit there and menace at other tools that are near it. . . . I've now decided that alot more of the powered devices in my house should be titled 'Electromatic'.

- Show trucks are like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt: great to look at, but you can't do a d@mn thing with 'em.
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:32 PM   #57
RWC
Registered Member

LG backed out and is instead drinking beer at home. The frame has been cleaned and has the metal-etching on it now, so I have to keep that damp for 20 minutes, hose it down, and then we'll POR-15 tomorrow.
Electromatic Tamper. I want one of those. Does it smash stuff? I don't even care. It can just sit there and menace at other tools that are near it. . . . I've now decided that alot more of the powered devices in my house should be titled 'Electromatic'.

- Show trucks are like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt: great to look at, but you can't do a d@mn thing with 'em.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:25 PM   #58
Noah
Registered Member

Before you paint it you might want to check all the bolt holes. Sometimes the hot dipping process can either make holes smaller than they are supposed to be or block them all together. At least that has been my experience.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:34 PM   #59
RWC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post
Before you paint it you might want to check all the bolt holes. Sometimes the hot dipping process can either make holes smaller than they are supposed to be or block them all together. At least that has been my experience.
All of the threaded holes at least, along with the rear shackle-hanger and the bolts welded in to hang the gas tank, were filled/coated with RTV before the galvanizing. There was still some flashing that I de-burred tonight, and I'm expecting to have to run a tap/die through everything. Since those locations will have hardware against them, I'm not as concerned about rust developing there. If I have to drill out a hole a little bigger later, I'm not going to sweat it. I'm being as anal as I can with the frame prep, but nothing is 100%. I found a few locations tonight where the galvanizing didn't take too, so I'm definitely glad I'm doing the POR-15.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:49 PM   #60
dman357
Let it SNOW!

dman357 is on a distinguished road

You guys still at the shop??????
Old 12-23-2007, 12:16 AM   #61
RWC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman357 View Post
You guys still at the shop??????
I left shortly after posting that last message. We'll be there tomorrow!

Old 12-23-2007, 01:46 PM   #62
anubis
Registered Member

anubis is on a distinguished road

looks like alot of fun
anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 02:10 PM   #63
gwilliamson
Registered Member

gwilliamson is on a distinguished road

Rob, my buddy down here works at rhino linings of Kenai peninsula, heres a link to his myspace pic.... lined inside and out. May be something to think abouthttp://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=25958263

08 Puma Unleashed 23fbu Toy hauler
04 Chevrolet Silverado 4'' tb exhaust, egr delete, Edge Juice, sb intake, pcv reroute
86 MJCRZY isuzu 2.2l diesel, 4" on 33" boggers, nates offroad fab bumper, 8274, 10 bolt fnt, 4.10's
86 XJCRZY - teraflex steering, 37x13 boggers on centerlines, custom bumpers, m8000, locked front and welded rear 4.56
gwilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:24 PM   #64
RWC
Registered Member

The makings of my dream (and probably LG's nightmare since it's in his garage).

Old 12-29-2007, 04:26 AM   #65
ODDBALL
GRIND MASTER!

ODDBALL is on a distinguished road

What was the price on the frame? The work your doing is well worth the time & money. My CJ-5 had been torn down to the frame 3 times as long as I have had it. Fun each time!
Old 12-29-2007, 07:27 AM   #66
RWC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODDBALL View Post
What was the price on the frame? The work your doing is well worth the time & money. My CJ-5 had been torn down to the frame 3 times as long as I have had it. Fun each time!
CJ-8 frame: $1895
spring outboard: $185
galvanizing: $400
shipping: $410

I wanted him to do the outboarding at his shop so that it could be galvanized as well. He did a NICE job on the outboarding, and set it up so that zinc could pour into the middle of the outboard boxes too. I haven't seen an outboard done as nicely as he did this. I also asked him to set up the front end for YJ spring-length. All the welds looks top notch. All the materials looked thicker than factory, especially the rear crossmember. The nutserts don't look like they'll rust-out like they do on the factory CJ frames, plus they're galvanized.

I ordered the frame from Throttledown Kustoms, http://www.throttledownkustoms.com . The owner is Jeremy Pulse, and he was a pleasure to deal with. The frame came out exceeding all expectations and was totally worth the investment. I also ordered my tub through him since he's a dealer for Aqualu Industries.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:03 AM   #67
UstabeBob
Registered Member

UstabeBob is on a distinguished road

Aluminum body and galvy frame? If you wanted a Land Rover, you should've just bought one.

I seriously considered building a CJ-7 this way, but the cost and the fact I couldn't find aluminum fenders and hoods at the time kinda put the kibosh on it. If all of the other systems are as well thought out as those two, the Jeep should last forever.

How are you planning on cutting down the corrosion where aluminum and steel meet? Are you going to rely on the paint, or are you going to add some kind of buffer? I'm still working that out on my Rover.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:24 PM   #68
RWC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UstabeBob View Post
Aluminum body and galvy frame? If you wanted a Land Rover, you should've just bought one.

I seriously considered building a CJ-7 this way, but the cost and the fact I couldn't find aluminum fenders and hoods at the time kinda put the kibosh on it. If all of the other systems are as well thought out as those two, the Jeep should last forever.

How are you planning on cutting down the corrosion where aluminum and steel meet? Are you going to rely on the paint, or are you going to add some kind of buffer? I'm still working that out on my Rover.
I'm still using lots of steel on this project. My solution to galvanic corrosion: Herculiner and stainless. If I can find suitable zinc-coated fasteners, I'll use those.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:36 PM   #69
AKBroncoII
Registered Member

AKBroncoII is on a distinguished road

Make sure to use anti seize on all stainless fasteners. If you don't, chances are they will freeze putting them on or taking them off.

"Everyone on the scene was covered with small particles of whale"

"double breasted mattress thatcher"
AKBroncoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #70
Noah
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBroncoII View Post
Make sure to use anti seize on all stainless fasteners. If you don't, chances are they will freeze putting them on or taking them off.
x2

I hate stainless fasteners.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:55 PM   #71
AKBroncoII
Registered Member

AKBroncoII is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post
x2

I hate stainless fasteners.
as do I, and I use them every day. Don't use an impact or air ratchet on them. The speed will heat them up and they will also freeze. By hand only.

"Everyone on the scene was covered with small particles of whale"

"double breasted mattress thatcher"
AKBroncoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:22 PM   #72
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

Raven will become famous soon enoughRaven will become famous soon enough

Dude, if you use stainless, you will hate yourself at some point.

Quote:
Don't use an impact or air ratchet on them. The speed will heat them up and they will also freeze. By hand only.
And even by hand, they will still lock up and snap like twigs. Stainless is hard. That also means it is brittle. AND, if you're looking for a material that will be better for the aluminum......

When you put two dis-similar metals together, a process called "electrolisys" eats away at the softer of the two metals. This process is most prevalent in boats operated in a salt water environment (I have a little experience in this field). However, it will happen, to an extent, in any circumstance where two dis-similar metals are connected. Any electrical current that goes through the metal structure, (and it will), will flow from the softer material to the harder. When this happens, a small "explosion" will occur, blowing chunks of the softer material away as the current flows to the harder material. Microscopic as it may be, over time this equates to the complete and utter destruction of your aluminum pieces and parts (your tub).

Good quality Grade 8 hardware is far stronger, will last longer, and is not as hard a metal as stainless, causing less destructive "electrolisys" between it and the aluminum. And chances are, when you need to get things apart later, the grade 8 hardware will probably come apart instead of snapping like twigs.

Emerald Isle Offroad- The few, the proud, the completely isolated.

Last edited by Raven; 01-09-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:38 PM   #73
UstabeBob
Registered Member

UstabeBob is on a distinguished road

I know a lot of Rover guys that rely on a combination of the paint and plastic/rubber seals where aluminum and steel meet. As for hardware, I'm going with Grade 8 and thin nylon washers where I can't avoid contact with a aluminum panel. There's still going to be that corrosion thing happening, but hopefully I can make it more manageable. My Rover's aluminum tub body parts are 35 years old and still are in good shape. Hopefully I can extend that trend.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:32 PM   #74
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

Raven will become famous soon enoughRaven will become famous soon enough

Quote:
plastic/rubber seals......... Grade 8 and thin nylon washers........
Sounds like good planning. Do it once and do it right. Keeps that high dollar aluminum lasting a lifetime.

Emerald Isle Offroad- The few, the proud, the completely isolated.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #75
RWC
Registered Member

What I like about the stainless is I can buy a complete stainless kit. How 'bout stainless bolts with grade 8 nuts?