Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:07 PM   #101
sledneck

sledneck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: And thus, it begins

at this rate its going to be a 2015 Jeep CJ 8
sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:28 PM   #102
Noah
Registered Member

Noah is on a distinguished road

What Nate said, criminal prosecution should take the back burner to jeep building.
Noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #103
Little Giant
Bitter Member

Little Giant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
....and how is it coming along????
Last night it was this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Giant View Post
RWC buys lots of parts and does gun shopping. And works on his other jeeps.
Although it does make sense, he was trying to repair the motor in his orange -7 which is going into the -8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledneck View Post
at this rate its going to be a 2015 Jeep CJ 8
Yeah, the good news is, I still have a chance at finishing my jeep before he finishes his.

My name is Cactus.
Little Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #104
Noah
Registered Member

Noah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Giant View Post
Last night it was this:
Although it does make sense, he was trying to repair the motor in his orange -7 which is going into the -8.
Yeah, the good news is, I still have a chance at finishing my jeep before he finishes his.
Are there any avatar web cam updates in the near future?
Noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:33 PM   #105
Little Giant
Bitter Member

Little Giant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post
Are there any avatar web cam updates in the near future?
I'll try to remember this week. I believe one bearing got pressed since the last picture.

****, I really should start my own (non)build thread, so I can could be given a hard time in my own thread.

My name is Cactus.
Little Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:09 PM   #106
gwilliamson
Registered Member

gwilliamson is on a distinguished road

meanwhile back at the ranch.....

08 Puma Unleashed 23fbu Toy hauler
04 Chevrolet Silverado 4'' tb exhaust, egr delete, Edge Juice, sb intake, pcv reroute
86 MJCRZY isuzu 2.2l diesel, 4" on 33" boggers, nates offroad fab bumper, 8274, 10 bolt fnt, 4.10's
86 XJCRZY - teraflex steering, 37x13 boggers on centerlines, custom bumpers, m8000, locked front and welded rear 4.56
gwilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:03 AM   #107
Kodiak Dodge
FIREFIGHTER

Kodiak Dodge will become famous soon enough

"And thus it has stalled"....What going on?

FBXtreme4X4FABRICATION
FAIRBANKS, ALASKA

Kodiak Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:30 AM   #108
RWC
Registered Member

RWC will become famous soon enough

Frame is in place where it will be assembled with the body cribbed above it. Springs are bolted on the back and will be bolted on the front as soon as I clean the threads and buy hardware for the shackle-hangers (but they are assembled and bolted to the spring hangers). The donor-Jeep is parked essentially where it will remain through disassembly. Brake lines arrived two weeks ago, but I was gone last week. Still need to buy fuel lines.

I need a couple hours to chase all the threads out from the galvanizing and POR-15 and to buy hardware! Hopefully this weekend, but I've been a busy boy this summer and have barely been around Anchorage for my weekends. There will be a build-party to swap the engine/tranny/x-fer case soon.
Electromatic Tamper. I want one of those. Does it smash stuff? I don't even care. It can just sit there and menace at other tools that are near it. . . . I've now decided that alot more of the powered devices in my house should be titled 'Electromatic'.

- Show trucks are like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt: great to look at, but you can't do a d@mn thing with 'em.
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:41 PM   #109
gwilliamson
Registered Member

gwilliamson is on a distinguished road

where are we on this
gwilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #110
RWC
Registered Member

Threads are chased, hardware is bought, and brake lines are ready to go on with clamps and fasteners, but then I got a girlfriend and had to buy guns and ammunition in preparation of our new President. Most weekends since I posted last, I've been either gone or working. (For example, I had to work on Thanksgiving and all weekend.)
Electromatic Tamper. I want one of those. Does it smash stuff? I don't even care. It can just sit there and menace at other tools that are near it. . . . I've now decided that alot more of the powered devices in my house should be titled 'Electromatic'.

- Show trucks are like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt: great to look at, but you can't do a d@mn thing with 'em.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:14 PM   #111
Tomahawk3C
Registered Member

Tomahawk3C has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWC View Post
Threads are chased, hardware is bought, and brake lines are ready to go on with clamps and fasteners, but then I got a girlfriend and had to buy guns and ammunition in preparation of our new President. Most weekends since I posted last, I've been either gone or working. (For example, I had to work on Thanksgiving and all weekend.)
No excuses Rob....... get moving..... I'm willing to place a bet now that Scott finishes his jeep before you do!!!! You got plenty of people willing to help you two with your projects now get on it..... hell I'll even come over AND bring beer..... I can't be any slower than you at wrenching and i'm pretty slow!!!

"Sua Sponte" - Army Rangers (If you gotta ask you just don't understand)

*****Vice President, Alaska Extreme Four Wheelers*****

98' Ranger
EB D44 SAS w/4.88 & ARB
EB 9" w/4.88 & Detroit
Onboard Air
3.0L Bored
Auto w/Shift Kit
Misc. Tree Induced Body Mods.
Tomahawk3C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:37 PM   #112
RTCUL8
Registered Member

RTCUL8 is on a distinguished road

I will have PCS'd into Alaska as a 19 year old, stayed there three years, left it, been stationed at two more bases afterwards, and possibly have PCS'd back into Alaska as a 27 year old, all before any new progress has been made on Little Giant's YJ.

My money is on Rob, indefinitely.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:56 PM   #113
Gazer
Semper Paratus

Gazer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTCUL8 View Post
I will have PCS'd into Alaska as a 19 year old, stayed there three years, left it, been stationed at two more bases afterwards, and possibly have PCS'd back into Alaska as a 27 year old, all before any new progress has been made on Little Giant's YJ.

My money is on Rob, indefinitely.
I remember seeing Scott's rig on more trails than yours!
Old 12-08-2008, 05:02 PM   #114
RTCUL8
Registered Member

RTCUL8 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazer View Post
I remember seeing Scott's rig on more trails than yours!
That would be funny, if it were true.

And while you had summer months to wheel, I didnt know anyone the first year, was in Baghdad the second year, and had a 4 month -summer long- axle swap the third.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:08 PM   #115
RWC
Registered Member

Girlfriend was here over the weekend. Went to a hockey game yesterday, then played hockey last night. Tonight I'm going to the gym. Tomorrow I will work on brake lines.

For Little Giant's Jeep, we need to rape Badco's T-176, and most importantly, get the transfercase reassembled. Christmas build party anyone? Somebody needs to come do the x-fer case first though. I won't have any problem slamming the tranny in if we can grab it from the shop.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:18 PM   #116
RWC
Registered Member

For the record, it was psychologically very difficult for me to start drilling holes in my perfect, new, galvanized frame. Once that first hole went in, things got easier.

I need to clean the inside of the fuel tank this week before it can go in. The varnish is nasty, and I don't want to put my happy new sending unit in there. I also had to cut and weld the 15-gallon tank-strap since they don't offer one for the 20 gallon tank. I used a rubber "Welcome" mat between the tank and Kilby skidplate.

Front of the frame with brake lines. I also made new little brackets to mount the soft-lines to the hard-lines. I didn't want to put a nasty rusted-out bracket from my old frame on this new clean one.

Shot of the fuel pump and filters. I decided to mount them on the additional crossmember that Throttle-Down Customs includes in their frame. In the 7, I found problems with my fuel-pump overheating and wanted to keep it as far away from the exhaust (and hence the frame rails) as I could. In the 7, I only had it zip-tied to the brake line that runs along the crossmember to the left in the photo, which in the shorter wheelbase is still fairly close to the Flowmasters. There's a nice little shelf there, but no practical way to mount it without zip-ties again. This additional crossmember mounting keeps it up and out of the way, away from heat, and allows nice by-passing of where the shocks would hit.

Another shot of the fuel-pump mounting looking forward.

Also please note that absolutely nothing has changed on Little Giant's Jeep.

Last edited by RWC; 12-14-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #117
Kodiak Dodge
FIREFIGHTER

Finally some progress! Looks good! I would hire you anyday to run all my brake lines. My lines are embarrassing next to yours.

FBXtreme4X4FABRICATION
FAIRBANKS, ALASKA

Old 12-16-2008, 01:27 AM   #118
jpsfri

jpsfri is on a distinguished road

Yea, but if you spent 6 months putting them in, yours would look perfect too. RWC, your rig is going to look so pretty, it will never go offroad.

Last edited by jpsfri; 12-16-2008 at 01:28 AM.
jpsfri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:16 AM   #119
Kodiak Dodge
FIREFIGHTER

Very true!

FBXtreme4X4FABRICATION
FAIRBANKS, ALASKA

Old 12-17-2008, 08:14 AM   #120
Bronco85
Registered Member

Bronco85 is on a distinguished road

Why didn't you use an intake pump if you had over heating problems.? Seems the way to go. Looks like you have some pretty good progress going.

Course the question everyone has to ask come winter time.. Will it be ready for M&G?
Bronco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #121
B-uno
Banned

B-uno is on a distinguished road

hope you get it done before you kids put you in a old folks home and sell it.
B-uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:43 PM   #122
RWC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsfri View Post
Yea, but if you spent 6 months putting them in, yours would look perfect too. RWC, your rig is going to look so pretty, it will never go offroad.
Believe it or not, but the orange Jeep was pretty when I first did the body and paint! It eventually got ugly. We build things, and nature takes them back. Just the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco85 View Post
Why didn't you use an intake pump if you had over heating problems.? Seems the way to go. Looks like you have some pretty good progress going.

Course the question everyone has to ask come winter time.. Will it be ready for M&G?
The CJ fuel sending unit isn't designed to take an in-tank pump, and I didn't feel like making it work with one. The Holley Pro-Jection is designed with an external pump, and Federal Mogul makes the same pump which is available at NAPA for replacement. I like that the external pumps are easily changed on the trail, and the spare doesn't take up much room.

The tank is clean, new roll-over valves are ordered, and Summit just shipped 1/4 stainless tubing for the charcoal canister line. The tank should be in on or before Christmas.

I plan on ordering U-bolts on Monday or Tuesday from Six-States. Spring perches and new front plates came Tuesday night. The axles could go under as soon as the weekend after Christmas.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:50 PM   #123
AKBearMoose
JK WK F350 F150

AKBearMoose is on a distinguished road

Nice attention to detail on this project Rob...very nice!

Help me...I caught the Jeep thing!

( ||||||| )
o _________ o
\__o__o__/

AKBearMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:43 PM   #124
RWC
Registered Member

Proof of progress:

Auxiliary fuel tank, courtesy Fat******* and the boys at BSI. The angles on the final tank were opposite my spec. so it didn't mount as cleanly as I wanted, but I couldn't complain so I just modified the front to make it work, and cut a couple pieces of angle to make brackets for the rear. I figure this will hold 5-7 extra gallons. It sits in the otherwise wasted space between the last two cross-members of the CJ-8 frame. I'm going to mount a low-pressure transfer pump and plumb it into the filler line on the stock tank. I've set it up so the breather Ts into the main tank (for the charcoal canister). The round pipe you see at the top will accept a factory CJ sending unit, so I'll still be able to buy new sending units easy and see how much is in the auxiliary tank with the flip of a switch for my factory fuel gauge.

Still need to paint the brackets and buy a couple more bolts. It obviously needs to come out again anyway for the sending unit and all the lines. Lots of room next to the frame rails to install the transfer pump, and if I need to bolt through for frame-mounted fender protection. The tank does not change the departure angle at all, and is nicely tucked up and out of the way.

Tera 60 mocked up. I still need to clean it up and weld on the tabs where the disc soft-lines intersect with the hard-lines. I had to move them since they interfered with the new perch location. Also need to clean and repaint the spring plates.

Big Dan has the front housing, helping me with welding the right perch to the cast differential. Pulling it apart was good since it was time for new bearings, and one new hub (one race won't stay seated, even after multiple attempts and peaning the hub). I also found one of the outer shafts, which was already egged-out and required a tack-weld for the u-joint cap, had broken the welds and the cap was thinking about a vacation. Complete new Alloy USA shafts/u-joints will be in the mail tomorrow.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:57 PM   #125
RWC
Registered Member

Engine is in! AMC 401 with all aluminum top end and Holley ProJection 4Di. I found the right side frame mount to be cracked, so that's welded (thanks to BadCo) and they are all cleaned and painted with new hardware. The headers are just hanging on there to keep them out of the way for now. Unfortunately, I broke the dip-stick tube in moving the engine. I've cut a few holes in the firewall of things that I know I'll use (brakes, steering, fuse-box).

Front axle is in! It's now a rolling chassis! All new bearings and seals throughout, along with a full set of Alloy USA shafts and u-joints. I reused the old 4.10 and Detroit EZ-Locker. I picked up new hubs. Justin is cleaning my Warn Premiums in his parts washer later this week. I'm actually thinking that with a custom tie-rod, and may be able to get away with nearly a high-steer with the stock Scout knuckles.

Thanks for BigDan for welding the perches on!

WolfheartAK pointed out that I wasn't even going to get a full summer on the brake pads, so those got changed. My girlfriend decided I should have bling-bling colored calipers. Although not visible in this photo, I got a part number from a Scout board for a DOT approved 10" extension for the factory brakelines. Now I just need an adaptor for my 7/16 hardline to the 7/16" softline.

Fancy AN fittings.

T-18 and Dana 300. Re-used a factory cross-member.

Last edited by RWC; 04-12-2009 at 11:07 PM.