Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #126
RWC
Registered Member

RWC will become famous soon enough
Default Re: And thus, it begins

I posted updates last night but there was an error, and apparently the thread didn't bump. So, bump.
Electromatic Tamper. I want one of those. Does it smash stuff? I don't even care. It can just sit there and menace at other tools that are near it. . . . I've now decided that alot more of the powered devices in my house should be titled 'Electromatic'.

- Show trucks are like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt: great to look at, but you can't do a d@mn thing with 'em.
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:55 AM   #127
Kodiak Dodge
FIREFIGHTER

Kodiak Dodge will become famous soon enough

Almost looks like you'll be wheeling by July with this progress. Keep it up!

FBXtreme4X4FABRICATION
FAIRBANKS, ALASKA

Kodiak Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:47 AM   #128
RWC
Registered Member

Buying a condo caused a major stall. Other than getting it moved, not much has happened. Here is what it looks like in the sun:

Electromatic Tamper. I want one of those. Does it smash stuff? I don't even care. It can just sit there and menace at other tools that are near it. . . . I've now decided that alot more of the powered devices in my house should be titled 'Electromatic'.

- Show trucks are like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt: great to look at, but you can't do a d@mn thing with 'em.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:00 AM   #129
00TJ
Hermann The German

00TJ is on a distinguished road

Alright Rob!!!
It's rolling on 4 wheels
very cool keep at it
Set the example in everything you do in your sport."Post Responsibly" "Ride Responsibly" "Camp Responsibly" "Drink Responsibly". Behave like EVERYONE in the world is watching and evaluating your actions. Have fun, yes. But realize we are threatened like never before. I've never seen so many closures and potential closures on the horizon. Please take heed and act now

By Del Albright,
00TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #130
RWC
Registered Member

Finally have the firewall stripped from the orange carcass. I'm rebuilding and properly sealing the heat/air boxes and POR-15ing all the metal parts, as well as the swing-pedal assembly. The steering column I rebuilt when I installed it in 2000, so I'm not going to mess with it again. I do need a new u-joint for my Borgeson shaft. I'll post before and after pics soon.

Also have the auxilliary fuel tank and pump installed.

EDIT: pics added

Firewall stripped from the carcass.

Air/heater boxes out.

I removed all the metal components, including the internal flappers, and drilled out the rivets for the brackets, to POR-15 everything and add a top-coat of Hammerite for effect. All the rivets that I removed were replaced with aluminum, but the rivets that hold the actual boxes together were left since they seemed fine. The two halves of the defroster duct (not the accordian part) were held together with steel staples, which were replaced with aluminum rivets. All the plastic seams were sealed with a thin bead of black RTV.

I replaced the heater core about six years ago, and I upgraded the blower motor to the Chevy C/K style in 1999 or 2000. All the flappers were POR-15'd, and I replaced all the "sponge" seals with a rubberized foam. The plastic housing was sealed to the steel backing-plate by some dry putty garbage, which I stripped off and replaced with a new self-adhesive rubberized weather seal.

Completely reassembled housing ready for install with all new hardware, most of which is stainless. I love POR-15! I also had to drill and tap a replacement stud into the backing-plate.

I didn't take a good "before" shot of the swing-pedal assembly, but I can assure you it was completely rusted. Only the pedals themselves still had some paint. I actually think that AMC didn't bother to paint the brackets. Everything was POR-15'd and painted with Hammerite except for the pedals themselves which looked good, so they were prepped and painted with Hammerite only.

Auxilliary fuel tank with Jeep sending-unit and Jeep check-valve installed. Fat******* hooked me up with the custom tank, and Sleddy helped with the odd-sized hole needed for the check-valve.

Fuel tank installed. I haven't cut the hoses yet since we're still working on where/how the filler will mount.

Last edited by RWC; 09-09-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:03 PM   #131
RWC
Registered Member

Transfer-pump.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #132
RocDoc21
Registered Member

RocDoc21 is on a distinguished road

Lookin' good Rob- hook up the throttle cable and the steering wheel and let's see that jem in action!!

-----------------------------------
06' TJ Long-Arm Ruby

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need...roads."
RocDoc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:14 PM   #133
|AK|Chevelle
Registered Member

|AK|Chevelle is on a distinguished road

Looks good Rob.
|AK|Chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:46 AM   #134
RWC
Registered Member

Productive weekend: mounted the windshield frame, doors, tailgate, dash (only), e-brake peddle, and bolted the brake-booster on just to get it out of the way. A few pics from Friday night (does not include work done last night.)

Old 09-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #135
Tomahawk3C
Registered Member

Tomahawk3C has disabled reputation

lookin' good Rob, keep meaning to run out to your place and take a look at the progress, i'm free this weekend for the most part I'll lend a hand and beer if your working on it again! Great job man!

"Sua Sponte" - Army Rangers (If you gotta ask you just don't understand)

*****Vice President, Alaska Extreme Four Wheelers*****

98' Ranger
EB D44 SAS w/4.88 & ARB
EB 9" w/4.88 & Detroit
Onboard Air
3.0L Bored
Auto w/Shift Kit
Misc. Tree Induced Body Mods.
Tomahawk3C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #136
sledneck

sledneck is on a distinguished road

Rob is wroking on the heep while i sit at watch with beer in hand. Im about to solve his steering problems though so I am being kinda productive
Old 09-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #137
Tomahawk3C
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledneck View Post
Rob is wroking on the heep while i sit at watch with beer in hand. Im about to solve his steering problems though so I am being kinda productive
LMAO...... oh this should be good

98' Ranger
EB D44 SAS w/4.88 & ARB
EB 9" w/4.88 & Detroit
Onboard Air
3.0L Bored
Auto w/Shift Kit
Old 09-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #138
jpsfri

jpsfri is on a distinguished road

I was going to make a funny comment, but nice progress Rob. As I am sure you know better than anyone, don't let John anywhere near it or your beer.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:56 PM   #139
Tomahawk3C
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsfri View Post
I was going to make a funny comment, but nice progress Rob. As I am sure you know better than anyone, don't let John anywhere near it or your beer.
Bite me Ben..... Speaking of not letting people near rigs is your junk even running you a$$hat?!?!

Rob, more pics buddy!

98' Ranger
EB D44 SAS w/4.88 & ARB
EB 9" w/4.88 & Detroit
Onboard Air
3.0L Bored
Auto w/Shift Kit
Old 09-29-2010, 02:12 AM   #140
RWC
Registered Member

All peddles are installed. I used a plate for a fiberglass tub installation to mount the throttle cable backing. I also cut the holes for the defroster duct. I was going to wait to get the air/heater boxes installed (hopefully this week) before posting the next round of pics, but I suppose peddles are exciting?

Poison Spyder Ricochet Rockers arrived today too. I may put them on ASAP just to have a step. Climbing in and out of that tub is a PIA given that it's cribbed up three inches taller than it will actually sit.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #141
sledneck

sledneck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWC View Post
All peddles are installed. I used a plate for a fiberglass tub installation to mount the throttle cable backing. I also cut the holes for the defroster duct. I was going to wait to get the air/heater boxes installed (hopefully this week) before posting the next round of pics, but I suppose peddles are exciting?

Poison Spyder Ricochet Rockers arrived today too. I may put them on ASAP just to have a step. Climbing in and out of that tub is a PIA given that it's cribbed up three inches taller than it will actually sit.
you were making a fawk load of noise last night.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #142
Bronco85
Registered Member

Bronco85 is on a distinguished road

Man I had totally fogotten about this build

It's going almost a slow as my build..
Bronco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:39 PM   #143
RWC
Registered Member

I think I just bought a full hardtop. It's in California. Road trip? I guess I have a deadline since I can't store it down there for eternity.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #144
Kodiak Dodge
FIREFIGHTER

Kodiak Dodge will become famous soon enough

More pictures! Its looking good Rob! That thing is going to be a show rig when your done. I love the detail to all the small stuff. I don't have the patience.

FBXtreme4X4FABRICATION
FAIRBANKS, ALASKA

Kodiak Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:10 AM   #145
RWC
Registered Member

I finished my wood storage area instead of working on the Jeep. Here are pics, by demand only. Although I suppose I haven't seen anybody else with a build thread using an Aqualu tub, and some of these pics would have made my decision to go this route easier. Nevertheless, I think these are boring:

All pedals installed. The factory tubs had a tab for a bolt to secure the release-handle end of the e-brake assembly to the side. While not critical (the tab on my YJ tub broke), it allows the assembly to flop a little, which I'm worried will weaken the firewall where it primarily bolts to. I bent up a little pice of aluminum angle (which Sledneck is getting welded for me), and will bolt it to the back side of the lower hinge bolts.

For the square hole where the throttle cable comes through, I drilled a hole large enough to pass the entire able through, and then mounted a bracket sold for fiberglass tub conversions on the inside. The bracket has the correct square hole for the cable to properly clip in, and from the firewall side, it causes the large round plastic backing to recess into and become flush with the firewall. This looks much more trick than I expected.

ODDBALL sold me some half doors a couple years ago. They'll need a little body work, but they are functional. I want to add the fiberglass uppers if I can locate any.

Poison Spyder Ricochet Rockers arrived. These are NICE pieces, and quite heavy. So much for weight-saving aluminum.

I also think I have a deadline of this spring so I can drive to CA and pick up my hardtop. Maybe that'll be a good trip to buy new rims/tires, and run the Rubicon!

Last edited by RWC; 03-15-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:41 PM   #146
RWC
Registered Member

Poison Spyder Ricochet Rockers installed.

Angled trim-rings installed for the gauges, and the sissy-bar. For the final assembly, I have a stainless bar and glove-box, and I'm planning on wrapping the bar in leather. I'm debating about moving the glove-box door to the left so it won't interfere with a front cage, but I want to get the heat/air boxes installed to see what my clearance behind the dash is like. And of course I need to cut speaker holes.

This was a nerve-wracking cut: it is the largest hole in the tub, and the most visible, and the rest of the heater/air system is set off of it. I measured 8 times, and then still did the first cut only half-way in case I needed to slide the hole closer to the firewall. My fiance decided I was making too much noise at 11:00 pm and stopped me here for the night.

The cut was perfect.

Airbox installed. A 2-1/8" hole-saw, centered on where the plastic drain hits the firewall, worked perfect to cut the hole for the drain.

Using the bottom of the air-box as my guide, and with a cardboard template from the YJ/CJ firewall, I cut the right-side holes for the heater box. Some of them became egg-shaped to make it work.

No matter how hard I tried and kept opening the holes, I could NOT get the heater box to fit up flush. Then I found my first and thus-far only "problem" with the Aqualu tub:

Where the factory YJ/CJ firewall has a smooth curve to make space for the engine, the NASCAR-style firewall comes to a point, which sticks back too far to accomodate the heater-box smoothly, causing it to ride on that hump. I think the solution will be to see if Lowes has threaded 10-24 sleeves and studs to space the box out 1/2".

Last edited by RWC; 10-22-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #147
RWC
Registered Member

YJ squirters. Since I am using my CJ-7 with a YJ tub conversion for my odds-and-ends parts, I decided to move the YJ squirters instead of finding CJ squirters. Plus, I like the YJ ones more anyway. Cutting the square holes was a PIA.

Dual battery tray from Tomken, minus one battery.

Charcoal canister mounted. Sadly, I, in my negligent youth, removed this canister shortly after I bought the '84 CJ-7 and immediately swapped in a 304. I knew it was emissions, which I didn't need to worry about, but also recalled that we kept this mysterious black canister when my dad and I did my SBC swap in my '85 CJ-7, so I didn't throw it away. Instead, I've been hauling it around for 13 years, from Boston, to DC, to Vermont, to Juneau, and finally to Anchorage. Somewhere along the way I found out what it was and why it would have prevented my Jeep from always smelling like gasoline, but never got around to putting it in until now. And as I was installing it, one of the nipples cracked off, flush with the canister housing. D@mn. I'm hoping some epoxy will fix it.

I trimmed the four body-mounts that sit underneath the Ricochet Rockers, and removed the cribbing that was holding the body up off the frame. This is the final ride-height, minus most of the interior, fuel in the tanks, bumpers, winch, fenders, etc. I also expect the SOA to sag the springs out a bit. It's currently sitting on 35x12.5 MTRs, but I'm confident that I'll clear 37"-38"s without rear trimming, and with the tube-fenders in the front combined with opening the rear wheel wells a tad, I may be able to squeak into 40"s. My gears are only 4.10 though.

Dual fuel-fillers, with covers.

These are aftermarket lines for the factory 15-gallon tank, attached to an OEM 20-gallon tank. I've got them sneaking by the body mount, with the fill line clamped to . . .

this "T" that I made from Lowes parts. The main piece is a copper T, with a 1" OD main line, and I think a 1/2" T. That is soldered to a threaded copper fitting, which accepted a brass adapter to reduce for the 3/8" nipple. I painted it all with Hammerite for consistency.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #148
RWC
Registered Member

Here is the splice, connecting the aftermarket line to the T and then to a generic fuel-rated 1" ID hose. Next to it is just a regular brass pipe-fitting that is 3/4" ID to serve solely as a splice for the vent line. Out of the top of the T, there is a braided-stainless fuel line that runs through a low-pressure in-line transfer pump. If I ever get REALLY motivated, I may put another splice in there with a valve that would let me transfer fuel from the auxiliary tank to a third line, allowing me to put fuel into somebody else's vehicle. (But I'm not motivated right now to do that.)

And finally, up to the filler.

Left-side lines to the filler for the auxiliary tank.

Ready for fuel! OK, not really, since I didn't put the final hose clamps on since it all has to come apart for paint/polish.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #149
|AK|Chevelle
Registered Member

Once again. Looks good!

BTW, We should have another charcoal canister if you need another one.
If so, shoot me some dimensions and I'll see what's out here.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #150
|AK|Chevelle
Registered Member

What size tires are you gonna run? Sorry if you already listed it, but didn't see it..

Last edited by |AK|Chevelle; 12-07-2010 at 06:56 PM.