Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:03 PM   #151
RWC
Registered Member

RWC will become famous soon enough
Default Re: And thus, it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by |AK|Chevelle View Post
What size tires are you gonna run? Sorry if you already listed it, but didn't see it..
I'll run my 35"s for a bit longer and start looking for 37"-38"s. I think I'll be able to clear 40"s, but I don't have the gearing.

Tail lights.
Electromatic Tamper. I want one of those. Does it smash stuff? I don't even care. It can just sit there and menace at other tools that are near it. . . . I've now decided that alot more of the powered devices in my house should be titled 'Electromatic'.

- Show trucks are like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt: great to look at, but you can't do a d@mn thing with 'em.
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #152
bigsub
Been there, done that.

bigsub is on a distinguished road

Nice!
Old 03-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #153
RWC
Registered Member

So here's what happened: when I ordered my dash, Aqualu didn't offer custom work. Apparently they do now. I wanted my glovebox and right speaker switched, so I ordered their dash that had all the factory instrument holes cut along with the steering column. I also wanted three additional holes where the factory radio went.

I don't have a mill, or even a drill press, so I ordered some custom speaker grills with the intent of cutting a rectangular hole and bending these things in to fit. Once they came and I started looking at the dash, I decided a better use for them was as a template, so I started drilling holes for the speakers.

Each speaker = 430 1/8" holes.

Then I went desert racing. A buddy of mine had called me up in January and invited me to come be part of his KOH team. He was pre-qualified.

Pre-running Wednesday night. This was the first time driving his new buggy. We found out the tranny was smoked. We had it out by 1:00 am, a guy we just met there that night got up at 4:00 am to take it up to his transmission shop in Bakersfield, and he had it rebuilt with a rebuilt torque converter and back in Hammertown at 1:30 on Wednesday.

With seven guys working, we had it buttoned back up and made it to continengcy with literally seven seconds to spare. Thursday night. Friday morning we made it five miles before the front seal went out. It was an amazing experience, and I'm going to be helping him pre-qualify in May so we can do it next year.

While I was down there, I stopped by the PSC booth, and they happened to have a new gearbox for me. (TSA wasn't super-excited that I thought it would make a good carry-on.) It's bolted on with a Big Daddy steering box brace. I really really really am loving the Hammerite paints. I had to donate the MORE cross-frame brace to my CJ-7 which was having problems, so I have to order a new cross-brace for the Scrambler. I also got my steering figured out for now. It's only temporary (and 100% perfectly safe with all factory CJ and Scout parts and tie-rod ends), but not very exciting so I didn't take any pics of it. High-steer will be coming down the road.

Door striker pins. While at KOH, I looked at a bobbed Aqualu tub where the guy just drilled and tapped directly into the tub. I wanted the adjustability afforded by the capture-nut, so I drilled out the rivets that held the factory cage and inserted them into the Aqualu tub. The cage did need to be ground down very slightly, maybe 1/16", for it to sit close enough to the outside edge. But now the capture nut is riveted in, allowing some adjustment when I switch between full and half doors. The aluminum here is so thick that I still needed a longer striker pin.

Back to the dash: I carefully cut the hole for the glovebox, incorporating "tabs" to be bent back so I could affix the glovebox. Per my friend's recommendation, I heated and bent the side tabs without any problem. The top tab, however, cracked, and warped the dash.

I stopped when that happened, so the bottom tab is still straight.

Back side, where you can see the part of the upper tab that fell off.

(sigh)

I sent Aqualu an email about ordering a custom dash.
Electromatic Tamper. I want one of those. Does it smash stuff? I don't even care. It can just sit there and menace at other tools that are near it. . . . I've now decided that alot more of the powered devices in my house should be titled 'Electromatic'.

- Show trucks are like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt: great to look at, but you can't do a d@mn thing with 'em.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #154
RWC
Registered Member

Friday night I cried in my Cheerios since I was out of beer: I pulled the pan to install a new dipstick tube since I broke the old one pulling the engine, and thought about doing the rear-main seal while I was in there. I almost didn't bother, but thought it would be good to check the bearings after having gone through several sets of distributor/cam gears in 2007 before I pulled the motor. I found #5 was scored badly and didn't feel like working anymore that night. Saturday I got back to work.

All the connecting rod bearings were good. Only the #4 and #5 main bearings were scored, with the #5 getting the brunt of it. New bearings (along with an oil-pump priming tool) are on the way from Randy at Performance American Style. I've dealt with Randy many times over the years when I first got into the AMC drag stuff exploring for my Indy 401SR heads, and then with the 401 build in 2002/03. I've continued to purchase from him when I've had distributor/cam gear issues.

Manufactured custom-length striker pin. This is a 10.9 bolt with the head ground down, and I put the spacers, sleeve, and rubber isolator from the factory pin onto this one. (I didn't even know that could be done until I got into it!) Painted with my favorite Hammerite. I know it will flake off where the door hits it, but it looks pretty for the moment. I have at least 1" of threads PASSED the cage nut and am very happy with this set-up.

I needed to drill a hole in the floor for the e-brake cable (not shown). The first way I routed the cable prevented me from re-installing the rockers and also caused the cable to be about 1/2" too short, so I drilled a hole up through the triangle shaped piece of body on the bottom. This provided perfect routing, and avoided the rocker conflict. I've heard of other people having problems routing e-brake cables with certain rocker configurations, and this seems like the easiest solution.

After reinstalling the rocker, I realized I had to pull it back off to access the back of the firewall where the clutch bell-crank bracket installs. With my 1" body lift, I have to give thanks to a CJ-8 forum guy for the idea to lower the bracket by drilling an additional hole in the bracket. While I could measure for the bellcrank bracket from equivalent holes in my YJ firewall, I didn't have a good measurement for the hole that allows the rod to come through the firewall. When I did my YJ tub conversion, I cut the hole hastily and made it over-sized, preventing the grommet-thingy from sealing, and always allowing water/mud/cold into the tub there. My sister just got me a reconditioned iPad, so using another spankrjs photo from the CJ-8 forum build and staring at my old firewall, I rough-cut a small piece of cardboard to what I figured was the hole size and clamped it to my old firewall, then used the center of that to measure from. I literally sat in front of the carcass with the photo in one hand and cardboard in the other until I got it.

I drilled into the Aqualu tub and was pretty close, so after an hour or so of trial-and-error in enlarging that first 1/2" hole into approximately 3"x2" (don't quote me since I never measured), I had a working clutch, and put the cover/grommet on. I still need to order new plastic bushings and rubber grease boots for the bellcrank for it to be complete, and paint everything.

This also has the shot of the new shiney AMC V8 dipstick tube, which is a MOPAR part. Apparently, the MOPAR dipstick tubes DON'T FIT!!! Bulltear sells the tubes with the correct diameter for the press-fit. Per a recommendation from the IFSJA forum, I used a pair of Vice Grips to slowly and carefully collapse the press-fit area so that it could actually be installed. I straightened the tube so I could hammer the end with a dead-blow, and put a little RTV around the lip as it slipped in. The paint is especially fresh at the bottom to coat an area that got scratched right at the base, which is prone to rusting and causing them to break again. (I think I've installed five of these things over the years in various engines.)

Then I had to pull both rockers off again because the leading edge of the rockers contact the rear edge of the fender flares. Those got trimmed flush with the front edge of the tub and reinstalled. I set the tube-fenders up and immediately realized that the rockers had to come off again to access the lower two bolts. (I got really good at pulling the rockers.) First time really seeing my Scrambler! I also bolted on the stainless strut-rods since I needed to slide the whole body around and wanted more support for the front grill.

My companion for the weekend. I don't think I'll have any problems clearing 37"s to 38.5"s, and may even be safe with 40"s. I don't think my 4.10s will handle 40"s, and that will be pushing the Dana 44 even with Alloy USA shafts/u-joints.

Next dilemma: these two photos show the front body mount and the left rear mount. If I slide the tub forward to line up the front (about another 1/2"), the rear won't even be close, nor will any of the other mounts on the tub. If I slide it back, the front is at least 1" off. I think the solution is to build a bracket for the front, and trim the mount correspondingly. Since the only part in these photos that came from Jeep is the hood, I'm not sure where the problem is. The rest of the TDK mounts line up perfectly to the Aqualu mount areas, but the tube-fenders place the grill such that it seems to line up perfectly with the AMC-produced hood. I'm thinking the front cross-member was welded in about 1/2-3/4" too far forward.

Aqualu emailed me back and today I confirmed the order for a custom dash. They price custom dashes by looking at a dash with a similar number of cuts, and adding another $20 or $30 for a set-up fee. I previously emailed them a print-out of a base dash that I sketched modifications to, and their engineer took my scratchings to make exactly what I needed. I wish I'd known this was possible in 2007!

Now that I'm getting ready to move into the interior, I'm looking at a Rock Hard front cage. I made a couple phone calls today and hope to have an order in by the end of the week. In the meantime, I'll be working to bolt-down the tub and get my inner-fenders on.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #155
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

Raven will become famous soon enoughRaven will become famous soon enough

Nice. Keep it up Rob!

Quote:
I literally sat in front of the carcass with the photo in one hand and cardboard in the other until I got it.
Good. Patience. Keeps you from F*^king up. I've said screw it and cut, hacked and drilled my way into another grand worth of parts. Those were younger, dumber days. Now-a-days, I'll sit there and look at that photo/cardboard for two days until I "GET IT" if that's what it takes.

Funny. Now that I can afford the waste, I'm more careful to prevent it.

Does that mean I'm officially getting old?

BTW, There's a CJ steering box brace in the garage in my old house. New in the box. Need one? PM or give me a ring. I'll mail it to you if you need it.

Emerald Isle Offroad- The few, the proud, the completely isolated.

Last edited by Raven; 03-16-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #156
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

How many miles on that motor? Those bearings don't look bad if it's got some miles on it. Throw a set of new ones in there and carry on.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #157
RWC
Registered Member

Raven: PM sent!
nate: My original build with this 401 when I came back from grad school was amazing; it ran like a sewing machine. I had it balanced and blue-printed, and it was a phenomenal motor. Once I got it to Juneau, I went to adjust the valves since it had a couple thousand miles on it, and the following morning lost a lifter. I had a local Jeep dealership (which still had an AMC sign out front) put in a new cam and lifters for me. That also only lasted a couple months. I went with another manufacturer, and started blowing out distributor gears. I had the whole thing torn down for a complete rebuild at that point. I doubt I had 1000 miles on it when I came up to Anchorage. I put a couple thousand more on it, and started going through distributor gears again. There can't be more than 4000 since the last complete rebuild, but these bearings have seen bits from at least two distributor gears. I plan on throwing new bearings in and carrying on anyway. BigDan turned me on to a thrust-plate that goes on underneath a custom machined set of timing gears. The engine hasn't run more than 30-45 minutes since that installation, then I took it out of my 7's frame. I hadn't even changed the oil since the last set of gears went out.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #158
RWC
Registered Member

A few more minor things from Monday night. Last couple evenings I haven't been able to get into the garage.

Thick factory Dana 44 diff cover with a Lube-Locker gasket.

I half considered tossing my old power steering lines for new ones, but these cleaned up nicely and look great with a coat of paint.

Hood hinges bolted down. Aqualu supplies these shims to level out the hinges, but at KOH I saw a Scrambler that hadn't bothered installing them. The shims were bolted into one of the two holes that the body comes with (for the lower front seatbelt mount).

I also got a Rock Hard front cage with floor-tie ordered yesterday. I plan on bolting the cage down through to the Ricochet Rockers and calling it a frame tie-in.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #159
RWC
Registered Member

I made great progress this weekend getting the whole body bolted together and down to the frame for the first time. First a pic showing the trimmed rocker:

The PSC Ricochet Rockers extend forward to bolt to the fender, but they had to be trimmed to accommodate the Sniper tube-fenders. Instead of trying to make them meet smoothly with the fender flare (complicated by the welds, and the fact that the bottom forward lip is already trimmed slightly for the bulge in the factory CJ fender), I decided trimming them flush with the tub was the way to go.

Inner stock CJ fenders installed into the Sniper tube fenders. I tried using the PSC installation instructions, but they simply didn't apply due to the slight differences in construction. Hacking eventually got it in. It's not smooth, and I'm sure it would have looked better if I took more time, but this is the only rusty CJ part on the whole thing. The rest of the CJ willl be pretty, so you shouldn't be looking at the hack-job on the inner fenders anyway.

I didn't like having the front/leading edge unsupported, so I left the lower front fender-to-grill hole/slat. This was rusted and in bad shape though, so it will need to be repaired by the body shop when I get everything painted. Much to my dismay, the bolts connecting the dual battery-tray to the fender lined up! I didn't do that on purpose or anything; I seriously just hacked until it fit. I already had all the holes along the top edge drilled when I realized that the fender-to-batter-tray holes lined up!

The other bolts holes for the front grill didn't line up quite right, requiring the application of a BFH. While hammering, I realized it was also changing the angle of the grill, bringing the geometry of the body mounts into alignment.

The #1 body mount is for the grill. This is a shot of #2, 3, and 4. I originally thought I could get away with just drilling and tapping where it sat. I drilled #2, right side, first, and got the angle completely off. So I switched to #2, left side, used a center punch, and tried drilling a 1/8" pilot hole. There's at least 1" of aluminum at the #2 location, and I broke off at least 3/4" of the drill bit flush with the tub. I lost six hours drilling a 5/16" hole next to it, using a triangle file to to create notches on either side of the broken bit, and finally a punch to knock it out. Then I drilled the slightly off-center 5/16" hole to 3/8", and jumped to a 7/16" bolt. I did the same on the passenger side for consistency.

To save future headaches, I started dropping out body mounts as I went along, center punching all of them first.

#2 location, as mentioned, has at least 1" of aluminum, so I'm comfortable with just tapping. #3 has maybe 3/8", but with the rocker installed there's no way to slide a nut on the back. #4 also has roughly 3/8", but the back is accessible for a nut should I decide to put one there in the future. #5 is the one above the gas tank, which get it's own photo:

I noticed that this mount was too short. I don't know if that's due to the Aqualu tub or the TDK frame, but I'm leaning toward the frame since there's another CJ-8 board member with a TDK frame having the same issue. Since I had to trim the mounts for #3 and #4, I had some extra "spacers." I combined the nicest of those with some extra nicely cut rubber that was leftover from a spacer needed for the sending unit in the auxilliary fuel tank. Since the steel sleeve insert was still a shorter diameter, I slipped in another washer between the spacers and the rest of the mount. I think this will work just fine, and even if it doesn't, the tub is really beefy.

The aluminum here is also quite thick; 3/4" of an inch maybe. I did drill all the way into the bed of the tub, so I can put in a nut if I decide I need to in the future. In the meantime, I'm going to make sure the bolt doesn't stick into the bed space, and the whole thing will be coated with a bedliner so you'll never know about the hole.

#6 is roughly 1/2" thick, but can't be access for a nut. #7 is also roughly 1/2", and can be access for a nut.

The Aqualu tub is flat in the front instead of stamped. They weld in some components to accommodate the factory AMC seat brackets, but when I initially set a seat in there and climbed in, I felt like I was sitting too low. I don't know if it's a factor of not having the footwell drop down, or that they don't put the seat up high enough to begin with. Either way, I bought a stick of 1"x2"x6' aluminum to cut out risers. I got two done before my fiance told me I was done running the jigsaw again.

Did I mention that I'm getting good at pulling the rockers? Because they have to come off again to access the bottom of the seat bolts. I was hoping the aluminum would be thick enough to tap, but it's just the thinner floor material on the outer sides. The inner rear will be thick enough, but if I'm using nuts and bolts, I'll stay consistent.

I stripped the rest of my old grill for a mockup and to keep track of the parts. I also set my old bumper and winch on the front, but neither of these are bolted down; poser pic only.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #160
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

I stopped at the old house today and looked for the brace. Wasn't where it had been for the last 6 years. I may have boxed it up when we moved into the new place in January. The new place had an unfinished shop I've been working on since and isn't quite done yet, so everything from the old garage is still packed up. Darned inconvenient! I'll go through the boxes and totes tomorrow afternoon.

I hope I didn't chuck it! I sure don't remember pulling it off the shelf at all, but, it wasn't there........

I'll let you know.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #161
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

HA! Found it!

Last freakin' place I had to look, of course.

I'll get it in the mail.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #162
bigsub
Been there, done that.

Looking great! Is there a goal for when you will be hittin' the trail?
Old 03-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #163
RWC
Registered Member

If you look further up in the thread you'll see where I've committed to purchasing a full hard-top in Anaheim. I need to drive down to pick it up at the end of June. My goal is to be driving it by May 30.

Both my new dash from Aqualu and the Rock Hard front cage shipped on Monday.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #164
bigsub
Been there, done that.

I do recall reading about the top. Good luck on reaching your goal. If you need any help and I am available, I'll come help.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #165
RWC
Registered Member

I finished cutting/drilling the spacers and bolted both seats in last night. On the driver's side, inner half, the factory had welded tabs sticking out that AMC used to bolt the brackets to the floor; I'm not sure why. I used them instead of just cutting them off. Since there's an extra set of holes in the bracket, I drilled and tapped a second hole in my spacer to bolt those two spacers to the bracket. I figure this will prevent a little excess torque. I also noticed that the inner-front sits up higher than the rest; when I do the final installation I may add a couple washers, but for the mock-up it works.

Obviously this photo is the passenger side. It sits really close to the door, but the way the floor is designed by Aqualu, you don't have much range to position either factory seat bracket. I measured for distance from the firewall and set it as close to the tranny tunnel as possible, but it's still a couple inches further right than I'd like. The edge of the seat makes contact with the door trim panel, but still closed smoothly. While I could sit, it wasn't super-comfortable. I'm more concerned about rear seat passengers having less room to get in and out.

Monday is a state holiday, so I have a 3-day weekend and a long list of little tasks.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #166
RWC
Registered Member

My bearings arrived on Saturday, so my original plans changed gears slightly for the weekend. I had a piece of brass rod that I got for changing a rear main seal (totally useless for changing the seal) that I ground down a little to make a tool for pushing out the old upper #4 and #5 main bearings. The uppers were also worn, but not as bad as the lowers.

I pulled the ARP studs for #5 to clean the surface before re-installing the rear main cap (with a new seal) and discovered that Mike Hatch Jeep, the dealership in Juneau I let rebuild my engine because they still had an AMC sign out front, used red Locktite !!!!!!!!! I was able to easily extract the stud, but then I started to get paranoid about the torque spec they used to assemble my bottom-end. I dug out my receipt and found they used ADB for the machine work. I realized I needed to call ARP and possibly ADB. I set the caps up on the engine without torque and moved on.

With the tub bolted down, I could safely cut out the tranny-tunnel cover. I made a cardboard template.

It worked out very well.

I decided to pull my old center console to see how tough it will be to mount it to the floor. I built this about 10 years ago, but I still like it, and I put a lot of time into it. I actually think I can cut a few aluminum spacers and have it done, but it's not mounted yet.

I got into a mood to strip some more from the carcass, so I yanked the wiring harness.

And then I decided to free up some room around my bench, so I torched the frame. I'm planning on re-using this VIN, and the back of the frame is dying anyway. The tub has a new home with Gaber, and I'm probably going to give him what's left of this frame so he'll have all the mounts/dimensions for his 6x6 project, so I wanted to ensure the frame never goes on the road again. FYI: metal **** melts epoxy garage coating. Whoops.

I picked these up on eBay a couple years ago and trimmed them up a bit to see how they could fit, but never finished the installation. You can see where the tub intereferes with the bracket. Since I'm not running the factory tire carrier, I decided to sacrifice the bracket for the general integrity of the tub, and cut a notch in the bracket for it to slide back. I also had to grind a little off the back edge where it hit the aluminum welds, and then ground flat the aluminum welds on the corner, and trimmed a little for the cable support.

Without the factory sheetmetal, there wasn't anything for the tailgate latches to attach to, so I drilled and tapped for a 10-24 stainless screw and used a nut to lock the screw into place.

It works perfectly to hold the latch. Since I'll be (hopefully) using a full hard-top and the only top I currently have is a full soft-top, I'm going to use a full tailgate seal from a CJ-7 instead of just the rubber bump-stops of a Scrambler. That will go on after paint.

I turned in relatively early to spend a couple hours sewing a leather wrap around the grab-bar. I just used one of those steering-wheel kits, but backed it with some thin foam-rubber I found at Home Depot that I also used on the heat/air box flappers.

Monday was a holiday, so I was able to call ARP and ADB to figure out what to do about my torque spec. on the bottom end of the engine. ARP said since thier spec is higher than factory, the studs were either not torqued enough or were done to spec. Their tech said I'm good to reuse these. ADB said they know better than to use Locktite on studs (I'd hope so), and they believe they only did the machine work. This makes sense; there was lots of other little things that Mike Hatch screwed up on and/or took shortcuts. Everyone agreed I wasn't completely SOL, and to just bolt everything back up with SAE-30 and used the proper ARP spec. I'm not going to plastiguage anything and I'll just pray. Also, the mailman came:

My list of potential projects for the day grew exponetially! But I wanted to tackle the back seat.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #167
RWC
Registered Member

LittleGiant and FatB@stard installed aircraft-style tracks in the backs of their Jeeps for cargo hold-downs. I wanted to take that a step further and mount the rear seat on them.

The cargo/seat track down. The track I picked up through Costco online, and came with several cargo points and some straps. This set-up allows me to slide the seat all the way back if I want to, or just pop it out and have the bed area completely open for cargo, with readily adjustable attachment points. However, I recognize that the seatbelts won't be sliding around, and I needed one single place to put the rear brackets for the fold-and-tumble seat. I basically picked a spot where I could sit in relative comfort (I'm 6'3"), and so that's the "permanent" spot for the seat. But if we're in a parade or something, I can slide the seat all the way to the back by the tailgate.

A couple years ago, when I was initlally thinking about this, Justin was able to get me some retired seat-mount brackets from a 737. I had to grind them a little to work in the non-aircraft track, but they eventually fit. I cut some 3/16" flat-bar to mount them to the seat.

The seat effectively folds up, and should I get a half-cab and bulkhead at some point, I think the seat will clear it (if it should ever need to).

The Aqualu tub doesn't have the footwell for the back seat passengers, so I mounted the seat far enough back that (like I just said) I can sit there relatively comfortably. With the driver seat all the way back I can't get my feet under the left side seat, but I can actually slide my size 13.5s under the passenger seat, at which point it's quite comfortable and I would haven't a problem sitting there for a long drive.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:12 AM   #168
Frosty
samurai guy

Frosty is on a distinguished road

does this mean youll be at the rcq in may?

If youre gonna be gay, you might as well go all out.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #169
RWC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
does this mean youll be at the rcq in may?
Yes. I just talked to Boring a couple days ago about where his race buggy is at. He might miss the first race in the series in April due to them shipping the wrong transmission to him last week, but he'll definitely be racing at the RCQ. I got my ticket almost immediately after I got home from KOH.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:15 AM   #170
Frosty
samurai guy

Frosty is on a distinguished road

were staying at the comfort inn. fri and sat. bunch of us will be there wheeling before/after the race.

If youre gonna be gay, you might as well go all out.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #171
RWC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
were staying at the comfort inn. fri and sat. bunch of us will be there wheeling before/after the race.
I think John has to work on Friday, and I don't know how much of his team will be there early, or where we're all staying. For that matter, I don't even know how I'm getting out there yet!

As for my weekend wrenching update, I spent Saturday wrestling with my engine. I decided to go ahead and replace all the main bearings since A) they were all apart and B) I had the rest of the bearings. By the time I got the bottom-end reassembled, I was tired. I worked a little bit on the new dash to egg-out the gauge holes for the angle-rings, drill and tap for my speaker/speedo mounting studs, and drill and tap for the bottom-edge accessories (interior lights, glovebox door, ash-tray, cigarette lighter). I managed to break-off the tabs Sleddy welded for my glovebox by grinding the welds down too far, so he's taking care of that again for me. (Thanks Sleddy! I owe you buddy!)

Sunday I put the engine cross-member back in and filed all the studs smooth with the front of the dash, then began work on mounting the center console. That should be finished tonight. The last major components for the tub are the soft-top, and the rollbar, but I need an additional set of brackets made for the bar.

My Rock Hard front cage should arrive this week too. I haven't decided whether to paint or powder the bars.

I've also called around for tub lining and paint work. Fastlane had by far the better estimate, but more importantly, the experience painting aluminum, and the ability to get everything painted sooner. Fastlane talked me into powder coating the rockers as well.

So, I'm going to start minor-disassembly this week. I can have the tailgate, doors, windshield frame, grill, and hood(s) dropped off on Friday at Fastlane, and take the inner fenders (for sandblasting) along with rockers and a couple miscellaneous parts to Precision for powder.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #172
Pointbock
Registered Member

Pointbock is on a distinguished road

http://alaska.halfoffdeals.com/index...tail&h=3946944

does this apply?
Old 04-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #173
RWC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointbock View Post
Wow! I hope so! I just bought it!

I totally owe you for that one! Even if he doesn't give me half-off (my estimate of the paint work based on what he told me over the phone already puts it a little higher), if he knocks off $500, that nearly pays for the bedliner.

Last edited by RWC; 04-04-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #174
RWC
Registered Member

Sleddy welded the tabs back on for the glove box, so I got that fitted. However, because I changed position between the passenger speaker and the box, I knew I would have clearance issues with some of the air/vent box controls. I duct-taped a round chunk of aluminum that I'd cut from the firewall over the the controls that I needed to clear with the plan to use a heat gun to soften the plastic replacement box and slowly push the dash into place.

It's not pretty, but it worked out perfectly! Besides, it's the back side of the glove box.

I finished changing around the brackets for my center console and got that mounted up. In the pics you can see the top of the CB and head unit, but that plate recesses into the front compartment and there's a removable lid that locks down when the main lid is closed. To access the front two bolts, the mounting plate has to come out. When it's finished for final assembly the stereo will recess back down.

I went ahead and put in everything for the dash as a mock-up to make sure it all fit correctly, and drilled and tapped more 10-24s for the dash pad.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #175
RWC
Registered Member

I installed the Supertop last night. No pics because A) I couldn't get a good position whilst in the garage, and B) it looks like every other CJ-8 Supertop. I think I got lucky and mine (ordered in late '07 or early '08) was produced before they went to Mexico, since everything seems top-notch for quality. The only "quality" issue I ran into was the snaps for the rear hoop didn't seem to line up, but that could also be a factor of being in the box for so many years and installed in garage temperatures instead of 70 degrees after laying in the sun. It fit REALLY tight, so after getting it all done, I went ahead and pulled all the edges to just let it sit and relax in position. It was so tight I may add a few more bolts/screws to secure the rails.

Aqualu specific installation notes: because the aluminum is so thick, I drilled and tapped for 10-24 screws for the rear corner pieces instead of using the sheetmetal screws, and did the same for the support-bow hinge. Even though I've installed a couple of these tops in my life, I've never done it on a Scrambler, so I was super-anal to measure out the 6X-7/16" for the forward hole of the forward rail. (I think it was 67-7/16", but I don't recall exactly.) That measurement actually puts the forward-most hole to be drilled 1/4" ahead of the flat edge of the tub. Thankfully there's enough aluminum that I felt comfortable drilling and tapping for that hole instead of using the supplied plate:

A picture is worth 1000 words.

That bracket for the door surround is also sitting a little too far forward on the passenger side to clear the door, so I may need to do a little further adjusting with a grinder.

Also, my Rock Hard front cage arrived. Tonight I'm going to start initial disassembly for paint/polish, and this weekend I'll get the cage mocked-up.

Question: anybody know of a non-yellowing aluminum clearcoat that doesn't have a satin finish?