Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #176
RWC
Registered Member

RWC will become famous soon enough
Default Re: And thus, it begins

Although I haven't done an update, there has been progress. I need to go take more pics. I at least have one teaser.

Last Friday I got my hands on the Rock Hard cage, and got it initially mocked-up:

It went in really fast; I hadn't even planned on doing it and suddenly it was in.

I'm concerned that, based on CJ-8 member's experience, I'm going to have clearance issues with my doors. I'm going to try to further countersink the side bolts that go through the dash to the floor tie-in plate. My problem will be compounded by the thicker aluminum dash.

Speaking of problems, the floor tie-in is also an issue. Rock Hard (obviously) makes their cage for a stock CJ/YJ floor. I was worried that it wouldn't fit up in the cowl properly either. I was correct on both accounts. Aqualu puts a little tab in the inside corner during cowl construction that prevents the 3/4" bar from sitting flush against the dash-side of the cowl. So the question: grind the cowl or the tie-in? I went for the tie-in. I didn't want to unintentionally weaken the tub, and getting a grinder in to take that tab out would have been difficult at best. I had to grind out a section about 2" across and 1/8" deep. Photo coming.

Also, the floor differences in the Aqualu tub came to bear again: the plate itself was at totally the wrong angle, and the tubing was too long. Some quick work with the grinder and cutoff wheel freed the plate from the tubing and I further cut the tubing to fit. One good thing: the angle pre-bent into the floor plate itself is within a couple degrees of the angle in the Aqualu floor at that spot, so I'm going to re-use the plates; just welded differently.

Which led to my last problem (as also directly pointed out to my by Sledneck): I didn't want to take these out, have them welded, and then risk them not fitting back. So I need to tack the plates back to the tubing with the downrigger in place. That requires me welding. Welding requires a 220v. I haven't put in a 220v in the garage yet. (My welder feels neglected.)

So last night I started wiring in my 220v.

Since I'm in the cutting and welding mood, I'm going to cut out the overhead plate and weld it on top of the bars. My VHF is in the photo on the seat so I could see how the spacing will work: the bars are spaced perfectly. I really don't understand why Rock Hard doesn't put the plate up on top to begin with.

In the meantime, I got quotes for powder coating the inner and outer fenders and rockers from the place down on Ship Creek, and dropped off the grill, windshield frame, and tailgate at Fastlane for painting. FatB@stard is getting my hood sandblasted as we speak, and he's also welding up new rollbar support brackets for underneath. I also got the hole cut in the lower bulkhead area to run the wiring harness, and put in a holder/protector for the harness as it goes through the wheelwell. Thanks again to Sledneck for welding the protector up.

My old CJ-7 hard top, MORE front cage, carpet, a couple BFG All-Terrains, and a soundbar all said goodbye via Craigslist, and Gabe should be coming by any day now with his trailer to liberate the remnants of my CJ-7/YJ carcass.

The guy who bought the BFGs has an airplane and turned me on to Nuvite products for the aluminum polishing.
http://www.nuvitechemical.com/
I think I'm going to bite, and I've got an email in to their tech support asking for the best system to do the tub. Does anybody have any experience with this stuff? It's pricy, but I'm impressed.
Electromatic Tamper. I want one of those. Does it smash stuff? I don't even care. It can just sit there and menace at other tools that are near it. . . . I've now decided that alot more of the powered devices in my house should be titled 'Electromatic'.

- Show trucks are like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt: great to look at, but you can't do a d@mn thing with 'em.
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #177
RWC
Registered Member

Quick updates:

Old CJ-7 frame with YJ tub liberated. I've got mixed feelings; I have a LOT of good miles, but the frame was trash. The tub is going to a good home.

I then spent most of last weekend working on my fiance's ZJ:

Iceland Offroad front flares and winch bumper. I actually got the bumper done on Saturday, which was good since it made very short work of dragging the old tub up the ramps of the trailer.

As for actual Scrambler progress, I finished wiring my 220v and on Tuesday night I tacked the modified floor-tie-ins on the Rock Hard cage. Yesterday I ordered up some Nuvite products to polish the tub, and some special sandpaper for aluminum along with aluminum cutting oil.

I drilled a couple somewhat random holes (the diameters will need to be adjusted) through the firewall for the ECU wiring, gauges (mechanical oil, vacuum, ammeter, temperature), amp/center console power. Last night Tom came over to help with the disassemble. Also in this load is the main hoop for the Rock Hard cage and a factory roll bar, and the dash will go to Fastlane for paint on the back side.

It's been a while since I've need to move that tub around sitting completely empty; in fact, I think I've only moved it once before when we uncrated it and set it up on blocks above the frame. Any other time I've moved it, it's been full of parts. It's LIGHT. Four of us didn't even struggle, and I could easily tip it by myself. I think two strong guys could carry it.

Sleddy also did the final welding for the cage floor tie-in. I still need to cut off the plate from the overhead bar and weld it on top (and probably drill out the holes for my VHF mount). While the tub is gone my goals are:
- Finish exhaust hangers (it will still need a minor trip to a shop to finish the tailpipe, but the Flowmasters I cut out from my CJ-7)
- finish fuel line fittings to the engine
- cut the Rock-Hard overhead plate and weld on top
- preliminary wiring for the fuel tank transfer pump, main pump, and sending units
- upholstery and seat-heaters
- drop off rock rails, fenders, rear seat brackets, lower inner door hinge brackets, (and the ZJ rock rails) for powder coating
- POR-15 for the steering column bracket (where it goes through the firewall), clutch linkage, and charcoal canister bracket
- repair broken nub on the charcoal canister
- find something for back-up lights
- tighten steering linkage and fill front diff
- strip doors for paint
Electromatic Tamper. I want one of those. Does it smash stuff? I don't even care. It can just sit there and menace at other tools that are near it. . . . I've now decided that alot more of the powered devices in my house should be titled 'Electromatic'.

- Show trucks are like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt: great to look at, but you can't do a d@mn thing with 'em.

Last edited by RWC; 04-21-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #178
RWC
Registered Member

Aced out: the Fast Lane didn't have space for the tub today. "Come back next Friday." While I can still work on other things, this pushes my completion date back to the end of May.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #179
RWC
Registered Member

Yesterday I called the Rhino place, and he is taking the tub today. If he has it done by the middle of next week, I'll still be on track.

Last night I liberated the plate from the overheard t-bar on the Rock Hard cage so it can get welded on top, and got to work on the upholstery.

This is technically a YJ fold and tumble rear seat. I don't know if the side bolsters are different from a CJ seat, or if it's an issue with the aftermarket upholstery, but the sides need more foam. I may or may not worry about it later.

Passenger seat, with seat heaters installed. I forgot to put in the tape, but these don't give me the impression that they're going to move around at all underneath the upholstery. I now understand the love/hate relationship with hog-rings. I'd like it if the back piece came down a little more in the front because it did not completely cover the side bolsters at the very bottom, but you'd have to be parallel or looking up at the seat to notice.

Overall I'm very pleased with this upholstery kit!

Old 04-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #180
HeavyMetal
Registered Member

HeavyMetal is on a distinguished road

I'm impressed whith how much you have gotton done...It's come a long ways...And is looking good...

Red Bulls must be kicking in...

A Republic is two wolves and a well armed lamb discussing what they are having for lunch...

If at first you don't succeed...

It's best you don't go Sky Diving...
HeavyMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #181
RWC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
I'm impressed whith how much you have gotton done...It's come a long ways...And is looking good...

Red Bulls must be kicking in...
Thanks! What has me a little astonished is that two weeks ago, it was almost completely assembled and could have been started with another solid afternoon of work (minus shocks, rear lower shock-mounts, welding the rear perches, and driveshafts).

Old 05-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #182
RWC
Registered Member

Last Friday I picked up the tub from getting Rhino Liner:

Four problems: 1) I specifically asked them NOT to spray the firewall or up underneath the cowl. I'm dealing with some tight tolerances already due to the thickness of the aluminum tub, and didn't want to go any thicker than necessary where brackets and air boxes bolt up. 2) I specifically asked them not to spray the back where the tailgate seal (I'm using a CJ-7 seal instead of the 8's bumpers) contacts the tub. With a real seal, I wanted a smooth mating surface instead of the Rhino's texture. 3) I specifically asked them to spray the area where the tailgate support brackets mount VERY thin due to tight tolerances. Those areas got sprayed just like everything else. 4) Not all the holes got masked off, and I'm going to have to go through every single hole with a drill and a tap where applicable. I didn't flip the tub over to see how the bottom turned out.

Good things: I really like the texture. I got their more rubbery, grippier version, and I like how it feels. This will be a fantastic interior for when I'm not running carpet (which will come much later). They also knocked $100 off their price for the mistakes, and will spray the tailgate for free. I need to give the manager a call this week since he was out of state last Friday when I picked it up.

They also remembered to spray lines where the fenders mount up:

This is intended to help with the electrolysis issue, but will provide a durable surface for future fender removals.

While the tub is off, I got a few other things done too:

This is a Lokar e-brake cable. Instead of mounting their bracket, I just drilled through the exhaust hanger bracket on the frame. They might still be a little long, but I can adjust everything once the tub is back on and I know what my axle droop will look like.

I got the AN fittings on the fuel lines. I also rediscovered that the fittings interfere with the bottom of the aircleaner. (This photo also shows the top of the new vent-line. Since I have some extra shorter chunks of braided stainless, I thought this would look nice on the firewall.)

So I picked up a Mr. Gasket aircleaner adapter kit. I only need 1/8" or so more space and the shortest adapter/spacer worked great. It didn't, however, fit cleanly, so I squirted some RTV around the base. It's not pretty, but nobody will see it. It gives me maybe 1/16" clearance over the AN fuel fittings.

I also picked up some temporary back-up lights. I don't want to drill holes in the tub (or frame) since I ultimately want to put the lights in my bumper, but I have no idea what I'm doing for a rear bumper yet, and need something to keep me legal in the meantime. These are cheapo $33 LED Blazer-brand "accent" driving lights. They have plastic mounts stuck to the rear crossmember with double-sided tape. Perfect! They'll keep me legal, don't require a relay, I didn't have to drill any extra holes, and I don't care what happens to them. They fit perfectly in the space between the rear crossmember and the tub.

I bolted up the pipes and Flowmasters that I cut out from my CJ-7. I added the Flowmaster heat shields because the heat from them melted the floor plugs when I had these in the CJ-7. With the Scrambler's slight body lift and the differently-shaped Aqualu tub I think I'll get some more airflow, but these won't hurt. The pipes currently end pointing at my fuel lines and a filter, so I'll need to trim those back a little more prior to start-up. An exhaust shop will be one of my first stops after getting driveshafts made since I need to finish the tail-pipe end anyway.

But I'm also concerned about clearing the driveshaft. I had this EXACT set-up in the 7, so I KNOW the relationship between the Dana 300 and Flowmasters could not possibly have changed, but when I look at the yokes, it looks like the shaft will contact a muffler and/or shield. We shall see.

I think I'll have to trim the front crossmember too since it seems that everyone who does SOA has clearance issues.

Last edited by RWC; 05-02-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #183
RWC
Registered Member

Since the welder is now operational, I cut off the old exhaust hangers so I could figure out what to do. One of the hangers that was previously welded to the exhaust bolted perfectly to the frame bracket; I just had to cut it off and re-weld it in the new location. This side in particular feels solid, especially after Sledneck "tested" it and made me reweld it. I picked up some 90 degree bends to use temporarily; this will get me driving until I can get to an exhaust shop to have the tailpipes made up.

The passenger side didn't work out as cleanly as I wanted. To get the hanger location up high enough to clear the exhaust, I had to rotate the bracket. This is not the ideal structural angle, and gives the muffler more springiness than I'd like. I may modify this down the road, but again, it will work for now. If it fails/bends (or causes my headers to crack) I'll take a more serious look. The 90 degree elbow fit differently on this side since the mufflers aren't spaced identically. I had to turn it down a little more or else it would have pointed directly at the shock (which isn't installed yet).

All the rear/under wiring is done. I spliced out and replaced all three wires for the t-case indicator and back-up light. I also ran the rear harness, adjusting the wiring configuration for how I have my backup lights and tail lights set up, including the 12v lead for the transfer pump, main high-pressure pump, and auxilliary fuel sending unit. I tested the lights at the factory connector to verify.

Picked up the tub yesterday from Fastlane:

Went with a single-stage epoxy instead of a traditional three-stage, but he did etch the aluminum so we should be good. The paint work itself sucks though, but I did tell him that the firewall and back of the dash didn't have to be pretty since it's primarily a protective covering so I probably can only blame myself. There's orange peel, drips, and gunk in the firewall. He explained that he didn't paint any of it in the booth, and that the body components that will show he'll do in the booth where they can bake, followed by a wet-sand. The epoxy paint itself is a more expensive product, but he had a gallon of hardner from another project that he wanted to use up, so he kept the price the same. Honestly, he's probably right about everything else on the firewall: once it's all bolted up you won't be able to tell. And nobody will ever see the back side of the dash.

And bolted back to the frame, with all the body mounts bolted in loosely. As I expected, I had to run a tap through every single hole on the bottom. It went faster than I thought and was relatively painless. I am, however, very pleased with the Rhinolining on the underbody.

I also took a few minutes to swap to a FlowKooler water pump; since I'll be driving through Death Valley in the summer, I'm more than a little paranoid about cooling this beast. I had a FlowKooler when I first swapped to a 360 living in D.C., and with a mechanical fan clutch and no shroud it worked even in 100+ temps. For the 401 and trip back to AK, I went to a 4-core radiator and added a shroud. Even while pulling a trailer my temperature was rock-steady, but I don't think we hit temperatures greater than 85 or 90 on that trip. In 2007 (after approximately 50K or 60K miles, two engine blocks, and four timing chain covers), the FlowKooler finally gave up the ghost so I went back to a regular replacement pump. I was dumb and just used it as a core instead of pulling off the impeller cover that has the extra blades.

New heater and radiator hoses are in the future too.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #184
RWC
Registered Member

Lots has happened that I haven't updated. Mostly, I learned that I really really $uck at sanding and polishing aluminum. Maybe that'll be my reminder that it's a wheeler and not a show-truck. Here are some pics:

This is a marine-grade power-port. I figured mounting it inside the glovebox will be a good place to keep something out of the way that's recharging.

Top of the power-port. This is in a good spot where it won't hit anything, and minimize wire length. I'll probably just tie it directly to the factory cigarette lighter. With the power-inverter, I don't imagine we'll actually need to ever run both of the 12v sources at the same time.

The assembled dash, with the caveat that I did some reading and realized I'd been approaching my polishing all wrong, so I may take everything apart and do it again. <sigh>

I've been using the Nuvite F9 with the rotary buffer, then the C, and finishing with the S using the Cyclo. I should have been doing a second round of F9 with the Cyclo. I experimented with the transmission tunnel cover:

MUCH shinier. And it also makes all my sanding mistakes/scratches just that much more visible. Oh well. I'm not sanding any more this round since it needs to be running last weekend.

The top of the cowl compounded with F9 and the rotary buffer twice, followed by F9 using the Cyclo. My immediate plan is to finish the cowl area so I can get the hinges and air boxes installed. If I need to polish more when I get back from California, that's fine.

Last night I finished polishing the cowl area and installed a bunch of stuff: YJ squirters, air/heat boxes, new stainless vent grill, stainless hood hinges, stainless lower hinges (the backing plates and door holds were powdercoated), swing pedals (this was just to get it out of the way; the bolts have to come back out for the brake booster), EFI wire/grommet, YJ hood seal, stainless grill strut pieces, and battery tray.

My solution to the unobtanium rear wiring harness cover was to ask Sledneck to weld up two pieces of angle aluminum and make my own. It's painted with the same single-stage 2-part epoxy paint, but I may Herculiner over it to match the Rhino. I also need to notch it for the wiring that drops down for the fuel pump.

I also drilled the Rhino back out of the rear track holes and set the tracks in, but it was already 2:45 a.m. when I called it quits so they aren't bolted in.

Last edited by RWC; 06-02-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #185
|AK|Chevelle
Registered Member

|AK|Chevelle is on a distinguished road

|AK|Chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #186
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough

wow, that's gonna be nice! That shinny aluminum is gonna throw reflection from the sun and be seen from many miles away
Old 06-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #187
RWC
Registered Member

Friday was a regular day off, and I took Monday off work so I could have four days of uninterrupted work (except for a few errands and trips to NAPA and Lowes).

First, an old photo that I forgot to post last week:

After getting this in, I grabbed my nutmeg BesTop cover to put over it to protect the new vinyl from the dog, at least until I get back from California. So in later photos the seat looks like the wrong color.

I had a lot of random parts and pieces that needed coatings, so I did a round of POR-15 (with the Marine Clean and Metal Ready), and top-coated some with Hammerite and some with gloss black.

Here's the general state of craziness that my garage has been for the last five days:

Old 06-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #188
RWC
Registered Member

With so much work done, I'm not going to try to explain. I'll let these pics speak for themselves:

The aluminum may look a little dulled from all my greasy fingerprints. I also haven't done ANY of the polishing on the sides; just the cowl area to the edge of the door, and the rear. Again, polishing is really just showing my sanding mistakes, but that's just my reminder that it's not a show truck. My roommate helped me unload the hood and as we tried to avoid scratching it he joked we should just take it and rub it up against a tree before doing anything else.

The wiring is 80% done. I connected a battery last night to see what would happen and much to my delight I had dash lights and brake lights. Much to my dismay, the brake lights wouldn't turn off (I need to adjust that gawd-forsaken pedal switch) and one (only one) of the back-up lights turned on. I'm hoping that's because the tranny is in reverse, but I don't know for certain since I didn't line up the shifter when I set it back in temporarily. I was also reminded that I need to find an LED flasher. I have a few more grounds to run, I need to extend the fuel-pump wire (but I heard the relay cycle), and wire in the switches for the transfer pump/gauge.

I picked up the fenders from powder coating today. It's going to be another week of late nights!

Old 06-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #189
Tomahawk3C
Registered Member

Tomahawk3C has disabled reputation

Looks fantastic Rob!!!!! Great job man!

"Sua Sponte" - Army Rangers (If you gotta ask you just don't understand)

*****Vice President, Alaska Extreme Four Wheelers*****

98' Ranger
EB D44 SAS w/4.88 & ARB
EB 9" w/4.88 & Detroit
Onboard Air
3.0L Bored
Auto w/Shift Kit
Misc. Tree Induced Body Mods.
Tomahawk3C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #190
RWC
Registered Member

Herculiner drying on the underside of the fenders, underside of the rock rails, and on the rollbar supports.

I have an appointment with Young's Gear on Tuesday to get the pinion angle set and make driveshafts. I still need to get shocks done too. Tonight I want to finish the wiring and hopefully get the radiator mounted at the right height in the grill. Tonight is the last club meeting before the M&G, but I'm going to have to ditch out early to get home and work. More minor parts came today too, but my focus needs to be on wiring to get this beast started.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #191
Kodiak Dodge
FIREFIGHTER

Kodiak Dodge will become famous soon enough

That Jeep could be in a rap video all shined up. BLING!

FBXtreme4X4FABRICATION
FAIRBANKS, ALASKA

Kodiak Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #192
RWC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak Dodge View Post
That Jeep could be in a rap video all shined up. BLING!
So I should get 22" rims with 12" of backspacing and call it a donk?

Old 06-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #193
Kodiak Dodge
FIREFIGHTER

Kodiak Dodge will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWC View Post
So I should get 22" rims with 12" of backspacing and call it a donk?
I was thinking more along the lines of 24's, but yes! Rollin, Rollin, Rollin....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmz9zbfWGao

FBXtreme4X4FABRICATION
FAIRBANKS, ALASKA

Kodiak Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #194
RWC
Registered Member

I finished up the engine wiring last night with the one exception of the solenoid since I don't have the fenders on yet (I wanted them to have another 24 hours to cure). It was really, really nice to hear the EFI pump turn on when I turned the key. I also finished wiring the auxiliary tank transfer pump onto a switch and put that on the bottom edge of the dash, and ran the wiring for the fancy mirror (compass/temp/lights). So far, everything is working except for the lights on my clock and tach. I am waiting for the LED flasher to come via Amazon. I haven't tested the back-up lights or 4x4 indicator light since the shifters aren't installed; I'm going to paint them and get them in now that the shift boots are here. The last wiring projects are: stereo/console/seat-heaters, grill/headlight harness, VHF, make sure back-up lights work, temporary license plate light. I can't put in the VHF until the the cage is in, so that MIGHT have to be the other project tonight in addition to the fenders.

Tonight I'll get the fenders on, prime the oil pump, and on Saturday I'm going to ask Taz to tow me to a gas station to see exactly how much fuel goes in each tank and try to fire the engine. I'm down to the wire, but I think I'm going to make it!!!

Old 06-12-2011, 02:49 AM   #195
RWC
Registered Member

What day is it now?

Friday night I was exhausted from work and working the Jeep at night, so I got home and went to bed early. That got me up without an alarm at 5:30 on Saturday morning. I made coffee, and got to work, only taking one break to walk the dog around 10:00 am. Finally at 6:30 pm, I needed to run to get a hose for the radiator overflow tank, the dog needed another walk, and it occurred to me that I hadn't had any calories other than a Cliff bar for breakfast. I napped from 8:00 pm to 11:30 pm, and went back to the garage for a few more hours. Here are Saturday's results:

There is coolant in the radiator, power steering fluid in the reservoir, and the master cylinder is full (but the lines are empty). I still need to do the hard-lines on the rear axle before the brakes can be bled. The wiring for the rearview mirror's air-temp sensor is run to the fender, and I installed the amber marker lights in the tube fenders. All wiring in the engine compartment is done except the Hella horn and it's associated relay.

Because it has the heart of an AMX. I had to drill out the radiator to mount it lower to accommodate the body lift, but the fan is still contacting the lower edge of the fan shroud. I'm just going to trim that edge of the shroud. I added Water-Wetter, and am moving my license plate from my bug-grill to the bumper to try to improve air-flow for Death Valley. I also will not have the winch for the CA trip (it's just sitting on the frame to keep it out of the way at the moment).

Time for bigger tires?

I scratched the heck out of the cage while installing it. I used all-thread to make aligning the dash portion easier. I still need to drill out the bolt on the other side of the down-rigger to sandwich that part of the cage, and the rear portion hasn't been drilled at all. I also set up the VHF/HAM radio so that I'd have an idea about what I need for wiring. Since my "universal" firewall hole is so chocked full of wiring and mechanical instrumentation connections, I'm planning on just running the power to the center console since I have the DC/AC convertor and amp there, but I want to go ahead and run the antenna wire out with the rest of the rear harness.

Tomorrow (today? whenever I get up), I'm going to finish tightening my steering linkage, fill the front diff, weld on the tabs for my rear hard-to-soft line connection, install the rear brake lines, bleed the brakes, and drag it to a gas station to see how much fuel each tank will hold. Then it's time to prime oil pump and see if the engine will live!

Last edited by RWC; 06-12-2011 at 02:59 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #196
RWC
Registered Member

IT RUNS!!! Gawd it felt nice to hear my 401 catch.

My whole goal for this weekend was to get the thing running. since I stayed up so late last night, I didn't get onto this until just after noon today (Sunday, although it's technically Monday as I write this). I finished off tightening up the steering, filled the front diff, trimmed the bottom edge of the fan shroud by about 1/2 so the fan would clear, and then got everything ready for the rear brake lines. Sleddy put the tabs on the rear axle for the hard-to-soft line connection for the Ford 8.8 disc brakes, and stuck around to help me bleed them. Totally dummy moment: I thought you were supposed to start with the closest brake and move away from the MC. Whoops. An hour later we finally had the brakes bled and everything tight.

I pushed it out of the garage for a tow to the gas station:

I wanted to go this route so, A) I'd know how much a completely empty, clean, stock 20 gallon tank would hold, and B), so I'd know how much my auxiliary tank would hold. Sure, I could have filled up a 5 gallon can and ferried fuel home to get things running, but then I wouldn't have any idea how much fuel I will have burned, etc. Thankfully there's a gas station right around the corner so it was a short tow:

My 401 refuses to run on 87, and gets really pi$$y running on 89. I take out enough timing to run 90, but when I first had the engine built, I didn't realize that 92 and 93 octane was phasing out in Alaska. When I first got home, ONLY Chevron carried 92. A year later, not even they had the 92. So I took out timing and am normally fine running 90, but anything less requires octane boost. I snapped a few photos here anyway:

Then went to another, bigger station, which I knew would have 90. Here are the results:

Auxiliary tank, filled to when the pump clicked-off.

Primary tank, filled to when the pump clicked-off. Thus ending the age-old question of how much fuel does a stock 20 gallon tank hold: 19 gallons. That being said, I haven't the slightest idea how close the bottom of the pickup is to the bottom of the tank, so maybe we've still only got 15 usable gallons?

Back home I primed the oil pump (which I think was worth it given that the engine has sat for four years) and re-stabbed the distributor, but had the timing off and had to deal with a myriad of other possible issues related to my ECU. Right now the engine compartment is a mess and I've got a random wire running around the outside from the ECU under the dash to the negative side of the tach, but the thing finally started! With the DUI/HEI distributor, there's no way to rotate it a full 360 degrees; there's roughly 60 degrees of adjustment, and I'm right at the edge. Tomorrow night I'll need to pull it, find TDC, and start fresh with the timing, but I'm going to get the wiring set in stone first.

After that, I put on the license plates (it was registered and insured when we towed it, and I had the plates with me, just not on) and a Pro-Comp steering stabilizer bracket, and decided to call it a night. I also verified that the transfer fuel pump works, and found out that my blower motor STOPPED working!!! I really DON'T want to pull the heater box; I'm hoping it's just some silly electrical gremlin. The problem was that when I put 12v directly to my hot lead for the motor, nothing happened.

LOTS still left to do:
Polish the sides
re-install the top; figure out why it won't clear the doors
modify the YJ seat brackets to fit the holes I drilled in the tub for the seats
wire the center console/seat-heaters/inverter
install shifters and cover
bolt-in roll-bar
install seat-belts
run VHF and CB antenna wires

Old 06-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #197
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

Raven will become famous soon enoughRaven will become famous soon enough

You're a DIK! I stayed up until past midnight for no reason waiting for you to post up to see if you got it to run or not last night. Thought about calling but didn't want to slow you down and distract you.

Emerald Isle Offroad- The few, the proud, the completely isolated.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #198
RWC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
You're a DIK! I stayed up until past midnight for no reason waiting for you to post up to see if you got it to run or not last night. Thought about calling but didn't want to slow you down and distract you.
Uh; did you see the first two words of my last post? Yes, I fired the engine on Sunday night around 9:30. It's just that the timing was off and I didn't have enough adjustability where the distributor was stabbed to set it correctly, so I just let it run for about an hour the way it sat. More progress last night (in the next post):

Old 06-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #199
RWC
Registered Member

Last night I re-stabbed the distributor and set my timing, then put in a temporary stock CJ front driveshaft which just BARELY fit :fingerscrossed: , installed the shifters, and drove it around the neighborhood! :woot: :woot:

Went back to work cleaning up the wiring, fitted the grommet around EFI harness, and in the process of putting some tubing to protect the wires through my "universal" firewall hole, I pinched and broke the capillary tube for my temperature gauge. DOH! :banghead: To make it legal, I temporarily mounted up a light for my license plate on a temporary mount, and installed the mud-flaps. I'm not sure how much I like how they look, so I may switch to another set I have, and either way they need to slide in a couple inches.

The YJ passenger seat bracket matched the CJ bracket perfectly, so I went ahead and installed that seat permanently, and put the hardware back on for the soft-top. I didn't want to put on the rails until I finished polishing the sides, but with the showers forecast for today and this weekend, I didn't have a lot of choice. The sides may not even be polished in time for the California trip. When I rolled the Jeep out of the garage for the gas-station tow, the roll-bar just barely kissed (but definitely contacted) my garage entrance. With the added weight of the fuel it slid back in without contacting, but that experience was enough to tell me that I can't go in and out with the soft-top up, so I pushed it out around 3:00 a.m. to discover that it was raining. My garage has a couple feet of covered area outside of the door, so I was able to get the top on while keeping water out of the front part (and therefore off the front seats and center console). I grabbed a couple of ghetto-fabulous doors (that saw lots of abuse from my former orange CJ-7) since I didn't have time to fit-up the YJ half-doors that I have for it.

I crashed for a couple hours and Sleddy and I headed out at 7:30 to run the CJ over to Young's Gear since it's close. I hopped into the Jeep to find: no spark. :shrug: Since he needed to be at work ASAP, we just towed it. He dropped me off at home to walk the dog, clean up, and get ready for work myself when I had a brainstorm about my ignition system, and instead headed back to Young's with my commuter car. BAM! Engine started! I love the 401 through the Flowmasters. :evil: Strangely, it's been "Jeep week" at this place: there were two CJ-7s and a TJ all getting work done. One CJ was a Laredo in good shape with factory striping, the other CJ was painted in Herculiner and had ORO tail-lights with Bushwacker rear flares and Rock Hard bumpers. The red Laredo had a bikini/jammer/toneau sitting on 36"ish TSLs and an XD9000i. Anybody on the board? (The TJ was non-descript.)

They are fitting up driveshafts, and if they have time, they'll run it to their sub-contractor for steering alignment and to fit up a stabilizer. I still need to do something for rear shock-mounts and get shocks, but it's at least getting on the road finally.

Before I left I snapped a few photos:

Old 06-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #200
Bronco85
Registered Member

Bronco85 is on a distinguished road

Awsome... Congats on finally getting it up and running.. It's been a long time

You need to get bigger tires on it now.
Bronco85 is offline   Reply With Quote