Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #201
HeavyMetal
Registered Member

HeavyMetal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: And thus, it begins

Looking nice Rob...Glad to hear you got that mean 401 fired off...

Love the AMX on the grill...(Makes me wish I still had mine... )

I know you have a bizzilion hrs in it...but it looks like those hrs payed off as it sure looks sweet...

What tires and rims are you planning on running...?

A Republic is two wolves and a well armed lamb discussing what they are having for lunch...

If at first you don't succeed...

It's best you don't go Sky Diving...
HeavyMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #202
RWC
Registered Member

RWC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
Looking nice Rob...Glad to hear you got that mean 401 fired off...

Love the AMX on the grill...(Makes me wish I still had mine... )

I know you have a bizzilion hrs in it...but it looks like those hrs payed off as it sure looks sweet...

What tires and rims are you planning on running...?
Thanks!

I'm debating between the new kevlar Goodyear MTRs and IROKs. I was also really impressed with the BFG Krawlers that I saw at the Rausch Creek Qualifier. As for rims, I have no idea. I think they should probably be shiney to match the tub, and I want a beadlock. But I haven't made any decisions.
Electromatic Tamper. I want one of those. Does it smash stuff? I don't even care. It can just sit there and menace at other tools that are near it. . . . I've now decided that alot more of the powered devices in my house should be titled 'Electromatic'.

- Show trucks are like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt: great to look at, but you can't do a d@mn thing with 'em.
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #203
RWC
Registered Member

AND THEN I DROVE IT AROUND TOWN!

I picked it up after work today and DROVE IT TO NAPA AND THEN HOME! Then I loaded the dog and we went to the dog park, then I went to the beer store and ordered a pizza while Sledneck welded shock-mounts on the Skinny Dodge. I learned that I didn't actually destroy the capillary tube for the temp gauge, and without shocks it rides like a covered wagon. Combine that with misaligned steering and no stabilizer with the 401, and it's like a covered wagon being pulled by blined pissed-off oxen. Since it doesn't have seat belts and the seat is barely attached, I drove very gingerly, especially around corners.

No work tonight beer and pizza only. And pics:

Electromatic Tamper. I want one of those. Does it smash stuff? I don't even care. It can just sit there and menace at other tools that are near it. . . . I've now decided that alot more of the powered devices in my house should be titled 'Electromatic'.

- Show trucks are like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt: great to look at, but you can't do a d@mn thing with 'em.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #204
RWC
Registered Member

Yesterday was my birthday; great reason to take another day off work and spend time on the Jeep. I made an appointment for noon to get the front end aligned, and in the meantime figured out which RS5000 from O'Reily's to use as a steering stabilizer. I had to do more fitting work, but got the driver's seat bolted all the way down and temporarily installed a seat-belt (I needed to pick up new/different hardware later). American Tire was impressed with my castor (screen-name "ziggy," from Fairbanks, worked on it for me), which even with the SOA and longer shackles is EXACTLY the same for a stock CJ, and got my toe-in set up. That, with the steering stabilizer, tempted me to the highway: 75 mph with no vibrations and dead-straight steering. Suddenly the pissed-off oxen pulling the covered-wagon regained their vision.

I made an appointment to get tailpipes made up for later in the afternoon, and took the time to flex the suspension to measure for shocks, then headed back to O'Reily's to spend some quality time with the Rancho book. The front flexed out at 16.5" compressed and 27.5 extended, which led me to RS5286, but I had to punch-out the upper steel sleeve. The rears, which I didn't flex as much, measured 19" compressed and 24 extended, so I added/subtracted two inches from each side and went with an RS5126.

I decided to have the tailpipes exit in the back behind the tires so they wouldn't get near the auxilliary transfer pump or interfere with whatever bumper/tire-carrier combo I get.

When I got home from doing the tailpipes, Sledneck was out welding on the Skinny-D, so I quickly cut some shock-tabs for my rear axle from some 3/16 bar stock that I had and got the rear housing prepped for welding. He put them on for me, and after painting, punching out the upper steel sleeve for the front, and bolting everything on, we went for a ride.

PHENOMENAL! The ride with these springs is fantastic; it's at least as good as my fiance's ZJ, and definitely better than my CJ-7 with a 2.5" Softride.

Just spending the day driving this thing was one of the best birthday presents I've ever given myself. It's suddenly become my Jeep instead of "my project" or "my pile of parts." Everywhere I went people were stopping me to ask questions, compliment it, or just give me a thumb's up. No less than three employees at Fire & Fastener came out to ogle, and then they gave me the 1/2-20 bolts I needed for the seat belt anchors for free! The kid who helped me by fetching shocks at O'Reily's said he'd seen the Aqualu tubs in magazines but never expected to see one in real life. I had exactly ONE Scrambler owner come ask how hard it was to put on the body since he was thinking about doing something else with his. I told him it came with no holes and a NASCAR firewall, and required a LOT of drilling. While at the exhaust shop I had a guy in a Mercedes almost drive over me because he was staring at the Jeep. Even one girl at the coffee stand asked, "Aren't Jeeps fun"? ("it's a love-hate relationship") and the other asked, "What kind of paint is that? It's so shiney!"

I'm finally a Scrambler owner!!! AND ON MY BIRTHDAY EVEN!!!!!!!

On the way to work this morning I ran the transfer pump for several minutes. It was fun to see that I had more gas in the tank when I got to work than when I left home!

Still things to finish up:
-Install the rest of the seatbelts and switch to the new hardware on the driver's seatbelt
-bolt down the rollcage and tighten everything up
-run power/antenna wires for the VHF
-install the Ricochet Rockers
-fit up the half-doors
-install fender flares
-wire up center console

Even if this stuff doesn't get done, it's making its debut at the M&G. Bottom line: I built a whole new Jeep before Little Giant fixed his transfer case.

Last edited by RWC; 06-16-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #205
Kodiak Dodge
FIREFIGHTER

Kodiak Dodge will become famous soon enough

Have you gotten it appraised yet? You should get that done for insurance. Just in case.

FBXtreme4X4FABRICATION
FAIRBANKS, ALASKA

Kodiak Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #206
RWC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak Dodge View Post
Have you gotten it appraised yet? You should get that done for insurance. Just in case.
No, I still need to. I talked to my insurance company about it, but they said something about wanting to classify it as a collector vehicle so I wouldn't be allowed to do anything with it.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:40 AM   #207
Overdriven
Registered Member

Overdriven is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWC View Post
Bottom line: I built a whole new Jeep before Little Giant fixed his transfer case.
HAHAHHAHAHAHA.... wait... that was mean... shame on you Rob.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #208
Alaska ZJ
I Can Break Anything

Alaska ZJ will become famous soon enough

Looks good Rob! Now some Action Shots!
Old 06-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #209
RWC
Registered Member

I was up until 6:00 am putting in the roll cage, polishing, installing the Ricochet Rockers and fender flares, bolting the tub down, and packing for the M&G. After a quick nap and a shower, I made it to the Muldoon exit and BOOM! Backfiring and then a dead engine. I lost yet another cam gear near the 95-mile mark.

Epic fail on a number of levels, not the least of which was that I was supposed to be co-chairing the M&G with Sledneck (and I wanted to be out there on Friday night). I owe an apology to the 4x4 community and AKX.

So now I think my California trip is cancelled. I need to sleep and re-evaluate my next move.

I have a great pic of it in the sun (with a strap hanging off the front end) that I'll post tomorrow.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #210
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

Raven will become famous soon enoughRaven will become famous soon enough

Holy Smokes! That sucks! What is it with Cam issues here lately? I've got an '86 GMC shortbed with a fresh 454 and 1 tons that's eating cam lobes on #7 cylinder like they're a bowl of Coacoa Puffs. 600 miles on an engine and it's looking like I'm going to be installing the third cam here very soon!

Emerald Isle Offroad- The few, the proud, the completely isolated.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #211
goul6891
Registered Member

goul6891 has disabled reputation

That sucks! Are you running a brass distributor gear? How was your oil pressure?

Last edited by goul6891; 06-19-2011 at 10:20 PM.
goul6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:00 AM   #212
RWC
Registered Member

I'm already VERY familiar with the AMC cam/distributor gear issues, and I have the internal valley oil-line for the rear-main. The oiling issue with the cam gear is relatively minor, and if you've got "the problem" more oil won't fix it. When I first built the 401 I spent a LOT of time on the AMC Forum learning from the drag-racing guys how to build a 401. The oiling issue is due to flashing left on a slot in the timing gear; if you file out the flashing you'll solve that minor issue. The external oil line is a waste of time; the AMC forum had a guy that kept going through gears so he added the external line, only to pull out oil-soaked and very broken cam gears.

The issue is cam walk. When I first did the 401, my builder machined a Delron cam-button for me, and I went with a bronze distributor gear in addition to a new Crown timing-chain cover. That got me home and the engine seemed fine, until I had a lifter die on my Summit cam. So when the new cam went in, 90+ miles later, it ate the distributor gear.

I mostly order parts from Randy Guynn at Performance American Style. I called him up for advice, and he said that when Crown first started making the replacement covers, about 50% of them had incorrect specs for the positioning of the distributor. He discussed the issue with Crown and they tightened up their tolerance, and he said he's seen no others come through with the same problems. He said it's possible that I got a bad one (I think I ordered it through 4WDH), and he recommended replacing it.

He also said that the sacraficial distributor gear, while it might save bearings, isn't a long-term solution, and told me about just getting the matched new set of hardened gears each time this happens. He's also heard of guys going through two or three sets of gears before a fresh set finally breaks-in together.

So I ordered a new cam gear and distributor gear, and a new timing chain cover. I ran that for another 90 miles and had another lifter fail. After two lifter bits and a distributor gear went through the engine, I thought it would be worth pulling the rear main cap to look at the bearing. Bad.

So the 401 had a rebuild with a new cam. That set-up lasted for several years, and then suddenly a cam gear went out. 90 miles later, it went out again. This time I added a thrust-plate that sits underneath a specially-machined timing gear to go along with my cam-buttom. 95 miles later, I was sitting on the side of the highway at 9:20 yesterday (Saturday) morning.

I think this time I'm going to tear out the cam and stab a new one in there, in addition to checking out the bottom-end (again) and the journals on the cam. I'm thinking that maybe the lifters have worn with the cam in the wrong spot, and there's only so much anti-thrusting that will keep the cam from walking.

In the meantime, I'm going to evaluate my options for the California fiance & top trip.

Here are some pretty pics of my dead 8:

Other dumb things to get done:
- fit up the full hard and half doors
- install glove-box door
- put on new steering wheel
- wire and install center console
- wire VHF
- run antenna wires
- diagnose horn

Tonight I'm not doing any of them though. And even if I cancel my trip, I'm taking tomorrow (Monday) off.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #213
goul6891
Registered Member

goul6891 has disabled reputation

wow. Guess my dad and I just lucked out by having good original timing cover and gears for our 401 build. Only hiccup we had was having the spring seat for the oil pump in backwards and eating the cam/lifters in about 10 minutes lol. I wonder if the Mopar steel distributor gears are better than the Crown? This Jeep is WAY too nice be out of commission.

Last edited by goul6891; 06-20-2011 at 06:55 PM.
goul6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #214
RWC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goul6891 View Post
wow. Guess my dad and I just lucked out by having good original timing cover and gears for our 401 build. Only hiccup we had was having the spring seat for the oil pump in backwards and eating the cam/lifters in about 10 minutes lol. I wonder if the Mopar steel distributor gears are better than the Crown? This Jeep is WAY too nice be out of commission.
Original timing chain covers aren't necessarily good either. Depending on mileage and maintenance, the original covers, since they house the oil pump, more-often-than-not are too worn and produce low oil pressure.

I believe the MOPAR gears are produced by Crown, so you're only paying more to get a MOPAR sticker.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #215
Kodiak Dodge
FIREFIGHTER

Sad to hear this. It will only make you build it stronger and hopefully on 44's.

FBXtreme4X4FABRICATION
FAIRBANKS, ALASKA

Old 07-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #216
RWC
Registered Member

401 came out a couple weekends ago:

BigDan took it down the shortblock and did a full inspection. The upper rod bearings are all bad, and the crank has twice as much endplay as allowed. This COULD explain my cam-gear issue too, if the crank was thrusting forward and dragging the cam-gear forward with it via the timing chain. Apparently all the cam lobes and lifters look great. I'm taking it to ADB tomorrow since they did the original machine work, but all of this is just reinforcing the slack rebuild I got from Mike Hatch Jeep when I lived in Juneau.

In the meantime, the full hard-top came in:

I still need to attach it to the Jeep. It fit into the garage after I let air out of the tires. My fiance is going to be gone for almost two weeks so I think I'll get some garage time to work on my BamBar, console wiring, and get the top/doors on/adjusted.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #217
Bronco85
Registered Member

Bronco85 is on a distinguished road

Hey my 351W is avalible I'll even give you a good package deal on a motor, tranny and Tcase
Bronco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #218
RWC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco85 View Post
Hey my 351W is avalible I'll even give you a good package deal on a motor, tranny and Tcase
Uh, no. Not even close. Thanks for the offer.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #219
Polack
Registered Member

Polack is on a distinguished road

If you're set on the 401 but want to cut your losses on that hashed motor, maybe check out Tuff Dawg Engines. Good prices on a turnkey 401 with a few trick oiling upgrades...

http://www.tuffdawgengines.com/amc_401_408hp_turn.htm
Polack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #220
RWC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polack View Post
If you're set on the 401 but want to cut your losses on that hashed motor, maybe check out Tuff Dawg Engines. Good prices on a turnkey 401 with a few trick oiling upgrades...

http://www.tuffdawgengines.com/amc_401_408hp_turn.htm
I've got more into my engine than they have:

401 bored .020 (one cylinder sleeved)
crank cut .020
stock forged rods, shot-peened
9.5:1 Venolia forged pistons
Indy 401-SR aluminum heads
Crane aluminum roller-rockers
Performance American Style internal oil line
Comp Cams XE262H: 262/270, 218/224 @ 050", .493/.500, 110 LSA
Edelbrock Performer intake
360 flywheel rebalanced for 401
(the original build had the entire thing balanced and blue-printed)
custom 6-quart oil pan
ARP fasteners throughout
FlowKooler water pump
Aluminum finned valve-covers
Performance Distributors DUI ignition with GM 7-pin ignition module . . .
. . . that interfaces with my Holley 700 cfm ProJection 4Di
Doug Thorley tri-Y ceramic-coated headers
True-dual Flowmaster 50s
Prothane motor mounts

Old 07-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #221
Polack
Registered Member

Polack is on a distinguished road

Awesome, I hope it holds together for a minute next time. it'd be cool to see that thing on a trail...with Bigger tires
Polack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #222
RWC
Registered Member

Minor update: I've had a few calls with Steve at ADB once they got everything completely inspected. The bearings are all trash, along with the cam. They measured my valve spring pressure and found out that's what's been causing me to wipe out lifters. He tried to talk me into a smaller cam, but I liked the performance I was getting with what I had (aside from all the non-cam problems), so talked him back up to my last grind.

The crank looks good and will just get polished. The bores are all on center and will be just fine with a hone. He prefers chrome-moly rings instead of the TotalSeals that I had been running.

ADB has dealt with AMCs in the past (including a recent 401 for a drag car), but hadn't ever heard of the cam-gear problem! They had me bring in my extra Crown and OEM timing chain covers to see which one will be the best. So far they like the OEM, but since that will be the last thing to go on, they're going to spend a little more time going through it to make sure that the oil pressure will be up to snuff.

$3550 will get my engine back to me, completely disassembled, cleaned, spec'd out, and reassembled into a long-block. It's about $1500 more than I was hoping for at the bottom end, but $450 less than my OMG-I'm-going-to-die-and-$h!t-a-brick price.

Best part: they're going to work on it next week, and I should have the engine back around the week of 9/12/11.

Which means: I need to get back in the garage to finish my electrical, build my traction device, and get the top mounted.

Last edited by RWC; 08-25-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #223
RWC
Registered Member

It's home now, but I don't have the engine hoist yet so it's still sitting in the trailer strapped to a pallet.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #224
Kodiak Dodge
FIREFIGHTER

That is purty!

FBXtreme4X4FABRICATION
FAIRBANKS, ALASKA

Old 10-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #225
yellowk20