Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:33 PM   #451
sledneck

sledneck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Should have never used pipe.... My cage fell off!

It may look good if you cut it off at the line...i dont know just my .02
Attached Images

sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:56 PM   #452
bgreen776
I'm on Team People

bgreen776 will become famous soon enoughbgreen776 will become famous soon enough

If I did that, i'll loose a lot of the "Truck" look, know what I mean? I will probably cut it off about an inch above the blinker.
bgreen776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:01 PM   #453
sledneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgreen
If I did that, i'll loose a lot of the "Truck" look, know what I mean? I will probably cut it off about an inch above the blinker.
Yeah true. looking at it from the front i like the fender! Arent you going to crush it at full flex?

BTW how come the pic you posted here doesnt look as the one you posted on pirate?
Old 01-09-2006, 11:42 PM   #454
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

Raven will become famous soon enoughRaven will become famous soon enough

Cool. I'd start right at the top of the blinker opening and see how much tire clearance you have. Leaves a little more "factory" look there, and makes for an easy cut to start with. Sleddy makes a good point. From the pics it looks like the tire will eat it at full stuff. Thinking bump stops?

Emerald Isle Offroad- The few, the proud, the completely isolated.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:24 PM   #455
bgreen776
I'm on Team People

bgreen776 will become famous soon enoughbgreen776 will become famous soon enough

It might eat the fender, but I can always trim. The front should be ok since its tapered in so far, and the back can be trimmed without loosing the factory look.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2006, 05:47 PM   #456
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

I thought you had some fenders on there not long ago?? Maybe I'm thinking of another buggy though.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:30 PM   #457
bgreen776
I'm on Team People

Little ones... look at post 430 in this thread.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:25 PM   #458
OneTonCJ

OneTonCJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It might eat the fender, but I can always trim. The front should be ok since its tapered in so far, and the back can be trimmed without loosing the factory look.

I like the fenders Brook. But this look here is just cool
OneTonCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:37 AM   #459
e-dogg
Registered Member

e-dogg is on a distinguished road

Are there going to be any new additions to the newer dana 60 infront? Like larger size knuckles, or whatever else you can beaf up to handle those massive tires? A Hybrid 14 bolt would be a really interesting build up not to mention the absolute strength. Just curious about the plans for your rebuild.
e-dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:12 PM   #460
bgreen776
I'm on Team People

No major mods are planned due to budget constraints. I would love to use after market C's and Knuckles, alloy axles and u-joints, and an ARB or the like, but its not in the cards this year. Maybe 4-5 years from now, but if I was to spend that much coin I would probably get rockwells or mogs.

My plans are as follows:
  • Shave the diff housing lightly
  • Cut and Turn the inner C's
  • Gusset the C's
  • Re-Install the 35 spline inners and outers with welded and bushed Spicer Life series u-joints
  • Rebuild the king pins and lube with Royal Purple grease
  • Rebuild the wheel hubs with new timken bearings and pack tightly with Royal purple grease
  • Install jack bolts for the diff cover
  • Beef diff cover
  • Re-install / fabricate new link and hydro mounts
  • Repair Steering arms (tie rod bolts came loose and egged the holes)
  • Turn the rotors and replace the brake pads
Should be a 20-30 min job
Old 01-18-2006, 11:25 PM   #461
e-dogg
Registered Member

Parts cost so much now days unless your making them yourself you basically get raped. I assume your going to lock the frontend up just wondering what way you are going. Are you going to stick with a powerlock, or go with a detroit locker? Sounds like you have a little bit of work ahead of you. Can't wait to see the finished product up and running again.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:25 AM   #462
bgreen776
I'm on Team People

lol, forgot all about the diff. I'm going to run a Lincoln locker. Maybe an esab locker. havent quite decided yet.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:15 AM   #463
scoutdiesel80
Registered Member

scoutdiesel80 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
lol, forgot all about the diff. I'm going to run a Lincoln locker. Maybe an esab locker. havent quite decided yet.

Those fenders do look good.

I know the $$$ thing too.

Carey
scoutdiesel80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:13 AM   #464
e-dogg
Registered Member

We have been running 40 inch tires with a Aussie Locker for a couple of years in our dana 44 frontend. As advertised it allows a smooth differential action resulting in uncompromised steering, uphill or down, soft or hard surfaces. I really don't know why they don't offer it for a dana 60 kind of a waste of a excellent product. Lincoln locker sounds like a good choice for getting everything locked up like you wanted.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:21 PM   #465
AlaskaToy
AO Disavowed

AlaskaToy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I can't imagine those Ujoints lasting many runs on a spooled/welded diff, even with your relatively light foot.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:26 PM   #466
AKBroncoII
Registered Member

AKBroncoII is on a distinguished road

I don't think he had many problems with the joints before. I think he was breaking shafts more often.

"Everyone on the scene was covered with small particles of whale"

"double breasted mattress thatcher"
AKBroncoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:37 PM   #467
sledneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBroncoII
I don't think he had many problems with the joints before. I think he was breaking shafts more often.
he was spitting caps out. now i think he tig welded them in...

light foot? HA!!!
Old 01-19-2006, 02:52 PM   #468
AKBroncoII
Registered Member

AKBroncoII is on a distinguished road

I can't remember from the original build if he was running full circle clips or not. Since he has welded them in I don't think he has had any problems.

"Everyone on the scene was covered with small particles of whale"

"double breasted mattress thatcher"
AKBroncoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 03:14 PM   #469
BigDan
Just me.

BigDan is on a distinguished road

The u-joints will see less shock loads with the diff. being welded. Sometimes it is these "spikes" that do-in anything in their path. Being solid will lessen these shock loads, and if he's carefull with the tire placement, ie binding durring turning, under a ledge, etc. he'll be fine.

I ran a disco 30 that was welded solid. Used vacuum switches to switch the front axle from one wheel to two wheel drive. Never had an issue with breaking anything.

http://www.alaska4x4network.com/show...113#post373113

Boys become kings, girls will be queens. Wrapped in Your majesty. When we love, when we love the least of these.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 03:16 PM   #470
AlaskaToy
AO Disavowed

Able to "snap them like match sticks" is roughly what I recall Brook mentioning in some long lost thread. The LS is what allowed them to survive IMO. Spooling it up, I think, will put an end to that lucky streak.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:19 PM   #471
AlaskaToy
AO Disavowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan
The u-joints will see less shock loads with the diff. being welded. Sometimes it is these "spikes" that do-in anything in their path. Being solid will lessen these shock loads, and if he's carefull with the tire placement, ie binding durring turning, under a ledge, etc. he'll be fine.

I ran a disco 30 that was welded solid. Used vacuum switches to switch the front axle from one wheel to two wheel drive. Never had an issue with breaking anything.
Seems to me a tight LS is the same deal. It acts as a spool when there is no GREAT difference in traction left to right, but slips when bind or traction over comes the clutches. Very little shock load.

Plus, spooled/welded, a 46" tall flo grip ag tire is gonna cause a shock when it goes from spinning to a bite on something firm.

Plus I think detecting binding while turning with full hydro and those tires must be quite a trick.

Last edited by AlaskaToy; 01-19-2006 at 03:40 PM.
AlaskaToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 03:21 PM   #472
sledneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaToy
Able to "snap them like match sticks" is roughly what I recall Brook mentioning in some long lost thread. The LS is what allowed them to survive IMO. Spooling it up, I think, will put an end to that lucky streak.
indeed he could, but i think it was when backing up...
Old 01-19-2006, 03:25 PM   #473
AlaskaToy
AO Disavowed

Maybe. We'll see I guess. I'd be interested to see how well it all goes welded up.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:30 PM   #474
BigDan
Just me.

BigDan is on a distinguished road

No real trick. You just don't get on it with the wheels turned.

http://www.alaska4x4network.com/show...113#post373113

Boys become kings, girls will be queens. Wrapped in Your majesty. When we love, when we love the least of these.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:42 PM   #475
bgreen776
I'm on Team People

Im sure I'll break an axle or two, but at least then I'll have something to talk about I havent had a mechanical failure of any kind since I went to drive flanges and welded u-joints, so its about time to change something. (other than the powerloc) I carry a full set of axles and joints so if I do break, i'll still be good to go. another 3 sets back at the shop. Plus Wichman carries some axles I gave him a few years ago.

My thoughts are this: While I may break more axles and u-joints, I will save the rest of the truck by not having to thrash so hard. I like to drive the rig at or near its limits because its fun, so hopefully more traction will equal less punishment to the suspension and chassis. Hopefully this will be a temporary setup *the welded diff* until I can afford to purchase an ARB, or build a different buggy all together.

Alaskatoy: Because of our terrain, there will be few times where I ever spin, then get tons of traction. Most of the time its either there or its not. IMO. What I have to watch out for is jamming the tire into the side of a whashout, but since I wont be in three wheel peel anymore, I dont think it should be too much of an issue. Definately something to keep in mind while pushing the limits though!

Like you said, it will be interesting. This is prolly the single largest reason I want to weld the diff... I want to see what its like! I love trying new things, and fortunately this one happens to be very cheap. First time I have been excited about the truck in quite a while... since the engine update I think!

Sleddy: Ya, backing up a hill, I can break axles with a blip of the throttle if I have the right kind of traction. That was a lesson I only needed to learn once, lol.

Here are some pics of the welded joints, and some stuff about the u-joint bushings...
Quote:
Written in 2003
Over the 4th of July long weekend, I broke another u-joint in my Dana 60. Not really a big deal, until I consider how easy it was. It tore two opposing trunions off the cross, cracked one cap, and egged out both yokes on the inner and outer shafts. I was not running full circle clips. I am not sure what brand the joint was. Both shafts were less than a season old, and had no more than 5 runs on them. I was running Warn Premium Hubs, and 35 spline Stub shafts. I was backing up a hill, towing another rig, with the tires pointing straight ahead. No twisted splines, just a broken joint and distorted ears.

The ears pushed apart from each other far enough that the c-clips would no longer seat flat, and were enlarged enough that when I installed the new Spicer SPL55-3X u-joint, I could nearly push the caps in by hand.

A few minutes with a 4" angle grinder, and a die grinder, I had the inside of the yokes flat enough that I could get the caps in them, with a full circle C-Clip. The Clips still didn't seat flat, but at least there is a clip around 98% of the cap, rather than the 60 percent the stock c-clips provide.

Normally I think this is enough to greatly increase the life of these u-joints, but since my shafts were already well abused, I decided to weld the caps to the yoke. This should not only prevent the caps from spinning in the yoke, and keep them from popping out, but should greatly increase the strength of the yoke itself.

I ground 3/4" long notches in 4 places around the hole in the yoke. Approximately 1/16" deep, on a 45* angle. Then had my favorite welder TIG weld the cap to the yoke with 316SS rod, (Edit: I recommend 309 SS) making one full weld, and rotating to the next cap and making another full 3/4" long weld. Once we got two tacks on each cap, the joint was too hot to hold, so we let it sit until it was room temp. Then completed the remaining welds, being carefull to not melt the seals out of the u-joint.
Attached Images