Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:25 AM   #26
ak_petey
Registered Member

ak_petey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DP rammit

Old 05-26-2012, 01:36 AM   #27
ak_petey
Registered Member

It finally hit the trail.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkTRr...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by ak_petey; 05-26-2012 at 01:38 AM.
ak_petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:49 AM   #28
ak_petey
Registered Member

dodge go LEFT - YouTube
Old 05-26-2012, 01:55 AM   #29
ak_petey
Registered Member

I hit the trail with my buddy Wayne, in his ford. I had lots of fun testing out my dodge for an evening, it was great! I took the opportunity to push through some gnarly mud out here in north pole. The trail was really narrow but my tires seemed to cut the trail wide enough, the ground was super soft. Wayne bent his drag link pretty bad so we didnt stay on the trail too long. after we got off the trail we hit some fun-puddles that were pretty deep, and gooey.

I went over a steep incline that the orange ford went over and bottomed out on the lower link. not much carnage for me, just scratches on the paint and a slightly bent lower link. I had some death wobble on the drive out, but after stopping to look at what was going on, I couldnt find the cause. Got in and drove it again... no death wobble. I have a ghost.

Last edited by ak_petey; 05-26-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #30
ak_petey
Registered Member

2" wheel spacers
fender trimming
and i tightened up a bolt on my gear box. The Don Thuren track bar rel-locator bracket loosened up. i may have to weld it to the frame as it was moving when i cycled the tires back and forth. .. and on another note my steering pump feels like it is lagging. might have to replace it soon. PSC motorsports has a steering pump i have in mind. I will be ordering up a reservoir and doing a hydro assist when the pump poops out or as soon as money comes available.

oh and there is terrible shot of the new rear bumper there below:

Old 06-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #31
HeavyMetal
Registered Member

HeavyMetal is on a distinguished road

Not sure if it's just the picture but the 2nd to last pic of your truck looks like you might have some bad ball joints...Pic makes it look like your tires are splayed out...

Might be where your "ghost death wobble" is coming from...

Nice looking truck... Looks like a fun trail also...

A Republic is two wolves and a well armed lamb discussing what they are having for lunch...

If at first you don't succeed...

It's best you don't go Sky Diving...
HeavyMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #32
ak_petey
Registered Member

you web wheelers have good eyes
I did a little shake down highway/ in town run with some friends today with arcticoffroad ...and
yes, the top ball joints are bad. had it in for an alignment check last winter to get some numbers as to where I was at and had them helped me adjust it with some computer readings. I do not plan on replacing the ball joints as I am putting money away for a ford dana 60 front detroit, and 14 bolt ff 5.13 gears. ( I already have the front 5.13 gears)

I plan on selling off some of the parts on the axle after the new axle is ready to be installed. I will be selling my ARB, CAD single shaft replacement, 4.10 ring and pinions (2nd gen dodge d60 and 14 bolt), and I think I may use my spyntech hubs on my tow rig (03 cummins) and ditch the unit bearings/stub shafts. I love those spyntech hubs. good investment, plus I have outter chromoly shafts. selling some items will be a nice reward at the end of the axle build too.

Anyway, about the death wobble. It goes away after driving it a little ways. I can cruise at about 40-50 mph with a noticeable shimmy, but no death wobble or hopping. more air pressure might be a slight fix.
-bad ball joints
-bias 42" tires that could probably use more balancing powder. I was overly optimistic/cheap when i bought the balancing beads
-track bar bracket (from Don Thuren) likes to come loose every now and then. still thinking about a couple 1-2 inch welds to hold it in place
Old 06-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #33
ak_petey
Registered Member

went wheeling, broke a shaft. (driver side) youngs gear and driveline had a used shaft they sold me for 75 with a decent u joint. still feels stiff. Ill take it.
yeah.. Im polishing the turd. not quite ready to jump on my ford 60 build yet. It is a cheap fix for now, I Just need some more time and money, and I want to wheel it some more. the swap will happen eventually. ill just have to wheel smarter for now :P

Last edited by ak_petey; 06-19-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:49 PM   #34
ak_petey
Registered Member

it is all back together. with a new security device. rumor has it there are thieves running around town in a white ford pickup trying to steal tires and valuable stuff laying outside.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #35
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

ChevyMan0784 will become famous soon enough

Honestly dude, those wheel locks don't protect as well as they should. If they are idiots (good possibility) you are ok. But if they are smart enough to use a socket and a sledge, they will have that lock off in no time flat. I've seen guys use red loctite (not sure if that works well either), and also just running a chain through the wheels if you have to leave it for awhile might be worth it.... Just some additional ideas. My figuring, is that if they really want it, they are going to get it. Security devices just keep honest people honest. Oh, don't forget that lock key in your house when you go wheeling. That ends up being a *****, ask me how I know. Also, that same trip taught me how easy it is to get a lock nut off with just a socket.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #36
ak_petey
Registered Member

good info.
the truck sits right outside my kitchen window. pretty much point blank range.
I do not have that many tools since my father's house burned down. All I have is a grinder, welding hood, a collection of sockets, silicone gun, hammers, burned wrenches etc. really basic. but enough to **** me off to have them taken, but also a disappointment for the thieves if they had their hopes up.

I have some crazy neighbors that gave me kudos on the truck so I got some acquaintances who I feel would get my back when I am not here. I helped return a runaway dog to one of them, some neighbor kids scream at the truck yelling "monster truck!!!" when their parents are with them.
gonna start socializing more around here. good neighbors are a bonus to have
it has been a crazy year.

Last edited by ak_petey; 07-01-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #37
ak_petey
Registered Member

here are the angles before I pulled it. I believe the binding is occuring at this point. I think the drop pitman arm is too much for DonThuren's drag link, I am going to try and get a stock pitman arm to smooth out the angles. hopefully the hydro assist will help take the pressure off my gear box.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #38
|AK|Chevelle
Registered Member

|AK|Chevelle is on a distinguished road

Is the sector shaft bent?
|AK|Chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #39
ak_petey
Registered Member

VERY bent. it has 2 fractures.
was trying to make a turn on the trail and the steering already cracked / bent. the steering binded and I was wedged in a rut. I am surprised it didnt sheer on me.

I sent it out to psc yesterday. $80 in shipping!!!! holy crap. the gear box would not fit in a flat rate
It would have been nice to just order a new one and then mail back my core... but..
News to me:
I spoke with a PSC motorsports salesman/tech. He said they do not make the PSC gear boxes for dodge anymore. I guess a lawsuit happened or something with Diamler Chrysler. They still own the rights to the box design. They can do repairs though. This makes me wonder about Borgeson boxes now.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #40
ak_petey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by |AK|Chevelle View Post
Is the sector shaft bent?
if you look closely, just above the pitman arm.. you can see one of the fractures.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #41
ak_petey
Registered Member

After the repaired box gets back, I will look at storing the truck for the winter unless I get a friend to let me use a shop.

in other news, I just sent my ford HP ball joint axle down to a buddy in delta where he is going to order and instal a grizzly locker, and 5.13 gears for me. when that is done I will pull the rear diff and have him set up the 5.13 gears in the rear...or maybe haul it down to delta and do the work in his shop/garage.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #42
ak_petey
Registered Member

just updating here.
I had my PSC gear box rebuilt due to sector shaft carnage. I am waiting for a sector shaft nut and bearing for my steering brace kit.

When I was putting the gear box in I decided to hack off the track bar mount on the frame and get busy installing my new track bar frame mount I bought from rough stuff. I had to trim it up a little to get it to fit where I wanted on the frame though. I flipped my DonThuren track bar 180 degrees as it fit better with my pitman arm. I am uncertain about the angle the track bar is on the mount on the front axle.. but I am not too worried about it. I will get pics sometime soonish. The plan is to fabricate one up (if needed) when the Ford axle goes in next summer.

Really makes me wish I could just swap Josh's front axle into mine and avoid the headache! I woudlnt mind the coils either

when the dodge is driveable again (steering) I plan on cleaning it up with a pressure washer at a buddy's shop. I am a bit torn from doing this but I do wish to wheel the dodge in the winter time. In order to do that I would need to get another axle shaft for the driver's side. These shafts snap very easily in stock form and I am hesitant on buying another stock axle shaft. I know I could have yukon or solid axle industries get me one made of 4130 steel, but I would be selling it anyway. wondering if there is any interest in someone buying it?
with that note ill post up a feeler in the automotive f/s section.

Last edited by ak_petey; 10-30-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #43
ak_petey
Registered Member

Default dodge steering

Old 11-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #44
ak_petey
Registered Member

so moving the axle forward required me to make some adjustments. And then some more adjustments after wheeling.

I flipped the DonThuren track bar upside down and welded a new bracket on. I am hoping this set up will hold until the axle swapping begins.

I reinstalled the Steering brace. Hard lesson learned.. . before installing it I packed the bearing from PSC with red grease. The bearing's housing in there pivots.. like a gyro .. I also replaced the bent sector shaft nut.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:51 AM   #45
Kodiak Dodge
FIREFIGHTER

Kodiak Dodge will become famous soon enough

Get rid of the 5" drop pitman arm and get a stock one instead of running it like that.

FBXtreme4X4FABRICATION
FAIRBANKS, ALASKA

Kodiak Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #46
ak_petey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak Dodge View Post
Get rid of the 5" drop pitman arm and get a stock one instead of running it like that.
yep! thought about that. been calling around the junk yards. .. still waiting.
this setup is temporary so I can drive it across town, get it cleaned up at a friends shop, swap out the pitman arm, change out an axle shaft, and clean/inspect the bearings.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #47
ak_petey
Registered Member

this thing is still around. It turns out I thought I had broken the axle shaft again last summer, but that proved to be a big fat lie when I pulled it out this last weekend. Me thinks it is something in the ARB. ugh. while i was at it I took the other side apart and it was dirtier than a toothless vegas meth hooker. before I pulled it I had a machinist make me a heavy duty inner axle shaft and got that put together. its a 4340 steel shaft. should hold up if I dont do anything stupid.

once I have it back together I will have to test out the ARB. things are going slow. thats what winter does i suppose!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #48
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

I went through the same thing with PSC this spring with my Dodge box. I bought one for the Jeep when they were JUST starting out and a few years later got one for the truck.
Was run by a husband and wife in Texas and had great customer service. I had talked to his wife for probably an hr, she was all thrilled about shipping parts to Alaska.

Getting the box taken care of this go around was a real PITA. The customer service has gone done hill significantly! The insurance wanted to just buy a brand new box for my truck and got the line that they don't have them anymore.
The story they told me was that they were having too much trouble getting rebuildable cores?!
In the end my box was shipped to them and they rebuilt it though it took several calls from me, the shop working on it and the insurance to get them to agree to even that. Don't know what it cost but I'm sure it wasn't cheap.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #49
ak_petey
Registered Member

they do not "build" boxes anymore, but they do drill, tap, and port them still. They can rebuild them like they used to make them.

on that note, anyone got a stock pitman arm?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #50
ak_petey
Registered Member

all back together again.
just need some cap screws to replace the rounded ones
cant find my "security lug nut socket" .. gotta look for that tomorrow amongst my mess or try to locate one in town. I have a feeling it wont be cheap.
other than that I believe I am ready to wheel. unless my ARB is shot.