Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #26
ak_petey
Registered Member

ak_petey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: tragdor

going to call ports about the cam tomorrow,
got everything pretty much pulled on the motor to swap the cam out except the damper and pulley, chain gears, chain and cam.. and whatever is behind the crank case cover.

i did some suspension work/tweaking today.. winter is coming and I didnt feel like doing this job in the snow. At first I moved the hole up 1.25 inches. the shackle angle shifted forward when it set on its weight... which netted me about 10-12 inches of lift in the front. I moved the front mount forward 5/8" and up about 1/2" from where i had it and I think the front lifted itself 1-2 inches. which sucks because I Might need a longer front drive shaft. but...my shackle angle is better. i forsee some front driveline issues. I may sell this one, it is fairly new and still in good shape. or for the time being I could try to find long travel/high angle slip yokes for a front driveline.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #27
ak_petey
Registered Member

pulled my cam shaft today, going to take it, the push rods and lifters to ports machine shop tomorrow and have em inspect it and order/exchange it for a stage 1 cam.
so 2 years after the rebuild on the motor I finally get the truck to fire up. I pre oiled it, and spent a lot of time trying to trouble shoot wtf was wrong. I call ports up with my buddy and get to talking what is going on with it. From what I understand PORTS rebuilt a motor, over looked selling/installing a part and told me it would work just fine.

After driving to anchorage to pick up a truck, gut the motor, ordering parts, paying PORTS $2500 for a motor rebuild, doing some research, I received a motor that had incorrect push rods (length), non adjustable rockers (bolts not studs), and possibly springs that should have been upgraded.
now that 2 years have passed they are trying to wash their hands of this mistake and offering to replace the cam, rods, and lifters. no labor
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The current cam:
The lobes look fine visually, no scuffs, scratches/gouges or anything... The more I talk with my buddy about it, the more I am thinking Ports installed a performance cam without recommending or offering the correct engine components to compliment it so that I could get a decent idling motor, even after I specifically told them what I was needing and using it for. Not a race truck, a trail truck.
I told them I was not much of an engine guy but I would like to have a slight upgrade that did not involve purchasing expensive engine parts, they told me this cam shaft I have should work just fine, and they put the motor together and took my money.

so the wrong parts resulted in having a poor fuel / air mixture and ran like a big fat sloppy dog turd. I heard PORTS was a reputable shop and was recommended to them. Im pissed the more I think about it because I expected these guys to tell me if I needed additional parts. If I was going to spend the money then I would have to get it right the first time.. makes sense right?

after the cam gets in I plan on getting my exhaust and front driveline ordered out. This is going to seep into a cold winter build. lets hope I can get my silicone gaskets in before it gets too cold.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #28
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

ChevyMan0784 will become famous soon enough

From everything I've heard, ADB is the end all be all here in AK
Old 09-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #29
ak_petey
Registered Member

A D B ?

Last edited by ak_petey; 09-25-2012 at 11:27 PM.
ak_petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #30
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

Alaska Drag Bike. Machine shop. They build motors.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #31
ak_petey
Registered Member

Brought the cam, lifters, and rods in this morning to PORTS. They said everything looked fine. They are claiming it is a timing /tuning issue.

One thing I noticed when I pulled the timing case off was that the crank/cog mark wasnt set at the 12 o'clock position.The crank/ cog groove mark was was at the 2'oclock position. when I pulled the crank case showed that the motor was @ the 0' timing mark /top dead center. talking with a few motor heads up here and they say it was supposed to be set at 12 o'clock. I am going to start reassembling it todayafter I get off work, reseal everything and check adn double check timing chain/cog positions, rods, and just be really sure of getting everything set correctly. If I cant, ill be taking it to a tuning shop in town after.
I want to wheel this thing.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #32
Full83size
Registered Member

Full83size is on a distinguished road

You are one of the most aweful picture takers ever

Looks good though. Good luck on the timing issue, hope it works out so you can do some wheeling before the snow flies!

*A Tree huggin, Boondockin adict...

-Babe the BLUE OX, 83' Chevrolet, tons and 45" AG's
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=55894
Full83size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #33
ak_petey
Registered Member

on trail runs I have my girlfriend take all the pictures. I like to wheel
you can definitely tell which ones I am taking from the lot of pictures taken !
Old 09-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #34
HeavyMetal
Registered Member

HeavyMetal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_petey View Post
One thing I noticed when I pulled the timing case off was that the crank/cog mark wasnt set at the 12 o'clock position.The crank/ cog groove mark was was at the 2'oclock position. when I pulled the crank case showed that the motor was @ the 0' timing mark /top dead center. talking with a few motor heads up here and they say it was supposed to be set at 12 o'clock. I am going to start reassembling it todayafter I get off work, reseal everything and check adn double check timing chain/cog positions, rods, and just be really sure of getting everything set correctly. If I cant, ill be taking it to a tuning shop in town after.
I want to wheel this thing.
Just to make sure we are on the same page...

When you say the "crank/ cog groove mark" are you talking about the mark (most of the time it is a triangle or * mark) on the lower timing gear that should be in line with the mark on the cam gear...

Or are you talking about the keyway on the crank/lower timing gear...? (Which is usually at the 2 o'clock position when the upper/lower gear marks are lined up...Unless it is a multiple keyway lower gear that has three keyway slots that allow you to advance or retard the cam timing)

The "stage 3 cam" you had is not really that big of a cam that it should have given you any real bad tuning issues...(And with the "excessive lash" it would make it act like a smaller cam)

That being said... for what you are wanting to do the MC 2004 would be a lot better choice.

The non-adjustable rockers on the late model Rats sucks...

It makes proper push rod length vital...Since it is the only way to get the right lifter preload.

How much excessive lash do you have...?

The problem you can run into, is the not all cams are ground on the same base circle...If the base circle is smaller than what was stock you will have excessive lash.

Another thing to check is the length of the lifter from its base to where the pushrod sits...I have seen ones that are both shorter and longer than what came stock.

Excessive lash should not give you the "back fire" problem at 1500 rpm that you were having...And that cam does not have that much overlap to be giving you any kind of problem like that.

When you say it was backfiring...Was it backfiring through the carb or exh. ? (Backfire is thru the carb, afterfire is thru the exh.)

Was the problem only at 1500 rpm or was it doing it at higher rpm also ? (3000 or higher)

A Republic is two wolves and a well armed lamb discussing what they are having for lunch...

If at first you don't succeed...

It's best you don't go Sky Diving...
HeavyMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #35
ak_petey
Registered Member

i was talking about the keyway. The crank timing mark was set pointing up, and the cam timing mark was set to point downward. When in this position I read and was explained to by a friend that this was the complimentary #6 position. (180 degrees out) I turned the cam with the chain hooked up 180 degrees to get top dead center.

after talking with a tech that specializes with the mc1737 cams, he stated I was having carb issues or a vacuum leak. Im in the middle of putting it back together and will take special care to ensure there is no vacuum leaks on the manifold.

I am also getting a new harmonic balancer.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #36
AK2AZ
Registered Member

AK2AZ is on a distinguished road

Next time you get it idling try to shoot some brake clean or the like around the edges of the intake manifold and on vacuum line connections...if it revs it has a leak.

If the crank and cam gears line up and the distributor is in correctly you should have a good start point to adjust timing...after that it`s all carb...IF your valve train is working correctly.

Are you sure of your firing order? These things are overlooked sometimes...one wire swapped will cause some headaches.
AK2AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #37
ak_petey
Registered Member

we used carb cleaner and mapp gas around the edges of the manifold. didnt find anything. The wires were in correctly.

As I was putting the crank chain/cam chain cog on, I rotated it 180 degrees to get top dead center, i think it is top dead center but the balancer shows about 5 degrees retarded. when I rotated it to top dead center i may have not gone far enough, but wanted to make a note here that I was pretty sure it was straight up and down so that when I start timing it with the distributor in it, I will know to retard it a little if it isnt firing correctly. I got a buddy coming over to help me do a compression test on tuesday.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #38
ak_petey
Registered Member

compression test went good. i hit 120-150 lbs on the 8cylinders depending on the battery charge. Everything went back together almost perfectly. When I set the rockers with the bolts, there was hardly any lash this time.

so how come there was lash ? well my memory isnt too terrible, but I remember talking with ports about advancing the timing chain a little for a little extra horse, They offered to do it, they said it would run decently. i said ok because it was a free extra "said to be" 10 ish more horse power. i set the timing to specifications listed in the Chilton manual. everything seems to be in good order.

I started assembling the motor back together and got as far as finding TDC, dropping the distributor in, and running plugs and wires. Just need to plumb all the hoses, radiator, tranny lines and everything else back up.

crossing my fingers.......................

edit: i said studs before. meant to say bolts.

Last edited by ak_petey; 10-08-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #39
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

So, what has all this taught you? Lol
Old 10-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #40
ak_petey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyMan0784 View Post
So, what has all this taught you? Lol
that there is a heckler in the midst.

I am not out of the water yet. still need to fire this thing up again. if it runs well I will know that something was not set to specification. What did I learn so far?? do it by the book or go to school for this stuff, leave the engineering to the .... engineers.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #41
ak_petey
Registered Member

Default Y pipe

Welded up my Y pipe for the 454. it was surprisingly simple and straight forward. the exhaust ports are 2.5 inches. they neck up to a 3 inch.
second weld job with the new welder. it ran great! still using flux core but heck. it works and I just don't have the means or desire to haul or store the gas everytime I need to use it. flux core is ready to go. simple. I ran out of flux core cause I was using a small 1 pound roll. I had about 1 more inch to go to finish it all up. dangit.
Ill finish it up tomorrow and install it
Old 10-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #42
Kodiak Dodge
FIREFIGHTER

Kodiak Dodge will become famous soon enough

Finally you got a mig welder. Night and day.

FBXtreme4X4FABRICATION
FAIRBANKS, ALASKA

Kodiak Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #43
Kodiak Dodge
FIREFIGHTER

Kodiak Dodge will become famous soon enough

A very dark night in a black hole. LOL!

FBXtreme4X4FABRICATION
FAIRBANKS, ALASKA

Kodiak Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #44
ak_petey
Registered Member

I remember reading your post a long time ago when you got your (and much better) mig. night and day. for sure.
I also got an auto hood! night and day with a flash. Im giving up on stick until I can get a shop/garage with an electrical source that has a reliable supply of amperage and a decent machine. but I am happy with my little mig for now
Old 10-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #45
ak_petey
Registered Member

So I ran into some carb issues. something was clogging up the carb. or it was the ACC pump being not adjusted correctly. I am getting fuel to the bowl now, but I havent been able to fire it up. I think I am going to have to move the distributor a tooth or two. im not too happy where the distributor is clocked at the moment.

I am pretty happy to get the carb working again and not have to buy a new one. I learned a ton about carbs. Pretty good for my first trouble shoot.. with some help from ak4x4, pirate4x4, and ArcticOffroad.

edit: and YOUTUBE

Last edited by ak_petey; 10-25-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #46
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

Nothing little about the 180C. You'll never need to do 1/2 inch in a single pass. Lol. I love mine. Puts down awesome welds, and has been reliable.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #47
ak_petey
Registered Member

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!

again.

tuning and temperatures agree to make fire. make petey happy. cannot wait till summer.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #48
ak_petey
Registered Member

I picked up the rest of the main part of the exhaust a while ago from Chevyman. I cant remember the guy who brought it up!! ugh.. well thanks man! I gave your wife a brownie cookie.. sorry I am terrible with names. .
I basically got a muffler and pipe. Should be much easier to hear the tuning issues when I get it welded up into place those fumes were terrible!

It has been a long winter, I was getting pretty close this last summer and I am happy to see it warming up again.

I picked up a CUCV from Gus and I am planning on robbing a few parts off of it. I will most likely take the front shackle hangars and swap em to my blazer.
I am also planning on swapping my front driveshaft with the CUCV front driveshaft.

gotta repair the radiator again because I broke the overflow nipple because my fat A$$ sat on it with the tube hooked up

While the radiator is out I might as well pull the front core support and build a radiator mount instead of the Jimmy rig setup I have.

With all said and done above I should be able to take it around the block.
might have to add a helper leaf in the rear as it squats a little.
also will probably need a traction bar.. which is on the way from ruff stuff.
There is a bit of body work left to be done as I plan on bobbing the rear up a little. This will be one funny looking blazer when done! my goal is to haul it to Meet and Greet .
Old 04-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #49
ak_petey
Registered Member

having wiring problems.. ugh.
going to do a complete dash/makeover
going to keep it simple with stock stuff. had a hack of a job putting it together in a rush to get it out of the garage a few years ago.. makes me want to barf

probably will modify the harness to use:
HEI /distributor.
basic heat control (floor and windshield)
signal lights
brake lights
starter
headlights
horn
accessory lights
radio

more to come when I start digging into this. still kinda want to keep it DOT friendly incase I decide to drive it to the trails.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #50
Full83size
Registered Member

Full83size is on a distinguished road

45" AG's ripping down the road ought to go over real smooth with AST

*A Tree huggin, Boondockin adict...

-Babe the BLUE OX, 83' Chevrolet, tons and 45" AG's
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=55894

Last edited by Full83size; 04-02-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Full83size is offline   Reply With Quote