Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough
Default Suburban Expo build

From the instructions:
Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

At this stage it's more like rolling piles of parts. A Suburban and an engine donor. I can't remember the year of the Burb. It's a 3/4T w/a 6.5. I really didn't want to deal w/electronics. I hope to do away with all of it but it will depend on what I end up w/for a tranny. The bomb hauler has a 12 valve w/P-pump and a set of axles with really tall gears, no tranny or t-case. I've got a set of chevy axles in another pile.

Well I was going to post some pics but photobucket and firefox are not cooperating I'll have to switch computers. Check back to see the new junk.

Last edited by snowbear; 01-24-2014 at 06:59 PM.
snowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
snowbear

Default Re: Suburban Expo build

ok, got it figured out...

Old 05-31-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Scott,
Tons of swap info on Cummins diesel swap forums. Also there are stand alone controllers for electronic transmissions. When you start reading about Cummins swaps in Chevies, you will see sources for them.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
wasillashack
Registered Member

Scott,
"4btswaps.com" has a 96 Suburban/Cummins/4L80E swap. Very detailed, should answer your questions, many similar threads on that site. Good luck!
Old 01-05-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
snowbear

pulled/pushed the dodge into the shop today. Found a spindle is broken so I had to run in in backwards. I'm gonna need to make a dolly to turn it around so I can reach the engine with the hoist.

I was thinking I'd try to get it started while still in the truck. Lots of non-essential stuff in the way is distracting me and there is something screwy with the starter wiring. It doesn't go roundy round w/the key but does when I use my master key (jumper wire). I also need to rig up a fuel tank as the original from behind the cab is gone.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
snowbear

Fairly boring videos but they sure made me smile!

first run

after up to temp

watching the tach (don't know why the oil pressure reads zero, but it ran for 30-45 mins and didn't bomb)

Last edited by snowbear; 01-16-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #7
snowbear

Donor removal

Old 01-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
scumby
Registered Member

scumby is on a distinguished road

Key issue could have been neutral safety switch
Old 01-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #9
snowbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumby View Post
Key issue could have been neutral safety switch
that makes sense. I probably could have jumpered it and made the key work. thanx!

Last edited by snowbear; 01-24-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #10
snowbear

scraps

takes way too much grinding... Why do they make the shape of the frame so complicated. I'll probably fill all that in to make mounting coilover hoops easier.

fortunately I can keep the mess outside

Old 04-21-2014, 07:37 PM   #11
AKPrice
Registered Member

AKPrice is on a distinguished road

I'm sure you have it all planned out, but I made c/o hoops for the front of mine a month or so ago and am just getting around to mounting them, then today I get some new shocks for the rear. Well In my reading in the last month I think I'm going to make buckets for the rear instead of hoops. Something to think about. Should be a lot tighter packaging yet still be strong. Figure I'll try them both out, hoops front buckets rear and see what works best. Looks great. I really want to do a cummins swap in my super duty one day.
AKPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #12
snowbear

I'm gonna leave the rear leaf sprung for now. Got enough fab work on the front to fill my plate. I'll be watching your build thread!
Old 04-21-2014, 07:45 PM   #13
AKPrice
Registered Member

Well you said your going to fill that completely In to make a coilover hoop easier. If you just fab a coil bucket you can make it fit anything....no need to fill in just make your bucket correct.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:47 PM   #14
AKPrice
Registered Member

Like this https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com.../STOWER12.html but build your own for your contours
Old 04-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #15
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

ChevyMan0784 will become famous soon enough

I think it is normally recommended to plate the frame as snowbear is talking about. More for strength though. I think it's a good idea. Can't go wrong by strengthening things.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:14 PM   #16
snowbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPrice View Post
Like this https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com.../STOWER12.html but build your own for your contours
That looks like it'd be ok for a light engine/rig. I gotta have a cross bar over the engine or it'll just tear the frame apart.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #17
AKPrice
Registered Member

Yes sir. I'll have a 1.75x.120 dom connecting the front hoops across the motor and the rear buckets will also have crossmember
Old 04-24-2014, 08:53 PM   #18
snowbear

Rolled the front axle under to get a feel for how it fits. Short answer, it's gonna be a challenge. The frame widths are way different between the SD and Burb. The SD is narrow and the Burb wide, about 8" difference. Tht'll be fine for the frame end of the radius arm, I'll just mount it toward the inside. It is clearing the part where it pinches in and up. I want to keep the rig as low as the suspension will allow but it's looking like it won't be a low rider

It looks like the Burb sway bar lines up with the SD sway bar mounts. Need to jockey it around a little more to be sure. If the steering box/arm has enough swing it comes pretty close to the stock SD steering arm.

Looking straight down on the passenger side. You can just see the upper axle mount behind the motor mount pad

Looking along the frame forward. You can see the axle mounts just to the left of the jack

Up closer. You can kinda see how the frame pinches in as it goes up and is right over top of the axle mounts

Old 04-24-2014, 09:00 PM   #19
snowbear

The rolling frame the axle is on was built for the buggy and rockwells. The width of the jack stand mounts doesn't fit this axle and it's too tall I may take the time to modify it so I can move this axle around easier. It really helps cause you can nudge it into the right spot and lock the casters. Then it doesn't move around when fabbing links and such.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:02 PM   #20
AKPrice
Registered Member

I posted it in the other thread but it looks like a piece of tube will fit in there then you can put your tabs at an angle to go to your axle and still clear your frame. I havnt spent anytime under a burb to know if it works but I bet something could be fabbed.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:05 PM   #21
AKPrice
Registered Member

The cummins might drop down to far so my idea more than likely won't work. Maybe Just make some mounts off the frame towards the motor with major gussets so you can do the same thing just the won't connect in the middle.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:10 PM   #22
snowbear

The design of the Carli arm might be the perfect thing to clear the frame. The only thing is there is no adjustment so the fab and fit of the frame end has to be dead nuts on.

Last edited by snowbear; 04-24-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:29 PM   #23
snowbear

I'm not sure I'm seeing what your saying. The mounts at the frame end will be inside and below the frame rails. Ideally they will be tied into the skid plate somehow.

The Carli design might fit in there. Or run a solid lower with the wrist on top. It is fitting that wrist to go under the frame that will be hard. I can gain a little room by pushing the axle forward.

I just need to get some scrap, preferably something light like .095 wall, and mockup some arms.

One thing about the Carli's I don't like is they are stock length, ~34". I'd like to shoot for 40". I think I read that their Dodge version is 40+

Last edited by snowbear; 04-24-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #24
snowbear

I like that basic idea. The frame end can be pretty simple. I'll probably make it harder by tying into a skid pan of some kind. Gotta work around the drive line tho. If I make the arms long then everything might be behind the DL but I doubt it. The 47rh is long, then add the crawl box and the arms would need to be about 5'

That reminds me I gotta order that crawl box...
Old 04-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #25
wasillashack
Registered Member

The longer the better, a larger radius means less caster change as the suspension flexes. Muy bueno!
I hope some of those references helped. From what I've read, oil pan to front pumpkin clearance can be an issue, maybe shifting the front axle forward a couple of inches will help that? Good luck!

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.