Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:04 PM   #26
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Suburban Expo build

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasillashack View Post
The longer the better, a larger radius means less caster change as the suspension flexes. Muy bueno!
I hope some of those references helped. From what I've read, oil pan to front pumpkin clearance can be an issue, maybe shifting the front axle forward a couple of inches will help that? Good luck!
Clearance is a major prob on IFS diffs. It pretty much goes away w/SAS
Old 04-25-2014, 06:32 AM   #27
ak_petey
Registered Member

ak_petey is on a distinguished road

I would get some 1/4 or 3/8 wall DOM and make your own with Johny joints, Rubicon joints or Duroflex joints. I have used the dodge 4 parallel design and I am very happy with it. I get tons of flex and my pinion angles stay "put". the only downfall is clearance. My control arms are VERY long, but they do scrape rocks and did bend with 1/4 wall DOM. I fixed that by sleeving them with 1/2 wall tube. and yes they are heavy.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #28
snowbear

I am looking at options for a different frame. Anyone got a '05 or newer SD frame laying around?
Old 04-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #29
yellowk20
Registered Member

yellowk20 is on a distinguished road

Build a frame, no compromises you can build it exactly the way you want then
yellowk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #30
snowbear

I think I have the radius arm / frame clearance problem figured out. The idea is to offset the arms from the attachment at the axle. A sketch of what I'm thinking. Need to do some mockup of materials to see if it will clear the frame. Sorry I don't have pics. A couple of you have seen the problem. You think this would be strong enough. Yeah it depends on materials... the lower bar is 3x2x? tube and the upper 2x2. I am thinking I'll inboard the frame end and build the connection into the cross member.
Attached Images

Last edited by snowbear; 11-21-2014 at 11:02 PM.
snowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:06 PM   #31
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Given any thought to cutting the "Burb" frame off at the firewall, and building a new frame to suit your D60 and engine? This would alleviate the space issues with exhaust/turbo/intercooler/steering /spring mounts etc. 2 cents!

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.

Last edited by wasillashack; 11-22-2014 at 10:07 PM.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #32
AKPrice
Registered Member

AKPrice is on a distinguished road

Is there a reason a three link is out of the question? Fitment isn't hard at all they are very forgiving with the calculator and fitting a panhard is easy. I see you havnt said anything about it and have been designing a radius arm style but a three link will more than likely bind less and can fit in the same area.
AKPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:33 PM   #33
snowbear

There is no room for a full upper link. There are some pics on the first page. It's hard to see the conflict cause the axle is just laying there under the rig.

The axle is a '05 SD. It has the big cast mounts for radius arms. Some folks are cutting these off for buggies. That's not really necessary for this project. I may design one arm so that the upper leg can be disconnected so it articulates better. The trouble with these designs is getting the pin back in.

Yeah I have thot about building a new frame. If I did it I go the whole way and not mess with tying into the existing frame. Both are more than what I am ready to tackle. It would take me months.

Folks are fitting 6Bs with radiator, AC, intercooler and oil cooler in these burbs using after market motor mounts from autoworld. It takes some trimming but it all fits. I am not keen on autoworlds mount, the stock dodge transmits less vibs. Autoworlds are spendy too. But folks seem to like them and I may use it just to save time.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #34
snowbear

WOW this cross member for 350! Side plates and cross member. Seem like a smoking deal. I think Autoworlds in 500+ and is just engine mount plates and chevy motor mounts.

Guy builds some nice stuff

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...light=suburban
Old 11-24-2014, 10:00 PM   #35
snowbear

Rear leaf spring choice. The rig has 2.5" springs. Thinking I might upsize to 3.0" any thots?
Old 11-27-2014, 10:22 PM   #36
bigtex
Registered Member

bigtex is on a distinguished road

Super duty or dodge if you want 3" wide springs. SD springs ride waaaaaaaay nice too
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...lack-81-a.html
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...bler-tech.html
bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:00 AM   #37
Purdy1105
Registered Member

Purdy1105 has disabled reputation

Certain f150s 04ish+ have 3inch leafs. I havnt looked that hard to figure out exact sub models...
Purdy1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #38
yellowk20
Registered Member

no advantage to 3" wide springs, ford springs are 57" eye to eye and are offset pin unless your talking about the NEW superdutys .your stock springs are 63" eye to eye and are centered pin. 63"springs are a very popular swap on tons of different rigs why go to a shorter spring that will require a ton of fab ???
Old 11-28-2014, 09:45 AM   #39
snowbear

The springs on the burb are shorter than 63". Closer to 59, maybe 57. 63s are pretty light duty, thinner leafs and would require building up for the heavy burb. Nothing wrong with doing that but I'd rather save my 63" spares for a lighter rig.

I like the newer SD springs especially the big bushings but they are shorter than what is on the burb now. I can't remember exactly how much. I had a nice new pair that I ruined by redrilling... live, make mistakes and learn, someday I will get over that one.

I ordered a pair of dorman/ford front hangers, #722013. I am pretty sure they are 3". I like them because they hang the spring below the frame and I can't fab anything for the cost, 67/pair shipped. How redneck will it be to use 2.5" springs w/bushings in 3" hangers? I'll spend time fabbing rear hangers. I'm pretty sure I can build the rear so that I don't have to move the perches on the SD axle.

Last edited by snowbear; 11-28-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #40
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

I found another piece of tube, 10ft long if you still need it.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #41
snowbear

Nate, do you know if it is 5/16" wall? I was told it wasn't very common, special order, so I moved on to designing something like those sketchup drawings. I haven't started to mock anything up yet
Old 11-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #42
snowbear

From Ford SD. What do ya think. Can I adapt these to fit in the suburban?

Old 11-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #43
yellowk20
Registered Member

Burb springs are the same as the truck springs, IIRC I just measured the two burbs I have here and they are 60" eye to eye if you measure directly across , the 63" is eye to eye following the spring curve.

If your needing more rate you could get springs from a 1-ton pickup, our build a basterd pack

I'm not following your goal here , to me it would be much easier to move the perches on the axle then to completely re-engineer a suspension setup thats already pretty decent
Old 11-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #44
snowbear

Can't explain the differences. I was holding both ends of the tape so can't blame anyone for mis-reading it. I rebuilt a suburban pack a few years ago, they were 57".

Re-engineering is fun! Didn't you suggest building a whole new frame? I'm not doing all this just to keep from moving the spring perches. I may be stubborn but not that stubborn!!!

I'll flip rear hanger then set front hanger to match. Since I am flipping the rear hanger I can attempt to hit the SD perches. SD perches are only 2" narrower than the original axle so it should be close. I looked at several shackle flip kits. They are made for narrower truck frames and would push the springs out too far.

Why lift the rear at all? Partly because the front has to go up for the radius arms to clear the frame. The front will drive the final ride height. I'm just collecting pieces and parts for the rear so that I have enough options when I get back there.

I will probably do some kind of combo pack if I can find the right materials.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #45
snowbear

ok, you got me questioning, the springs are 59 ete.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #46
snowbear

searching for radius arm designs and found this work of art. The only problem with building them is precision. I don't have the tools or skills to get them exactly the same.

So I was thinking I'd make the frame end adjustable. Then the question is how big a joint to use? How much force will a 8000# rig bombing down nasty rough dirt roads at 60mph generate?

The biggest joint available is the Frankenheim!!! 2" shank, 5" diameter head and 14# of 4140 chromoly beauty

Last edited by snowbear; 12-16-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:06 PM   #47
plyr2k
Registered Member

plyr2k is on a distinguished road

If you look at my burb thread, you'll notice that the shackle flip I used didn't have the holed in the correct place. I completely re drilled then using one factory hole as a guide. You can call Kert at diy4x and tell him you want gmt 400 shackle flip that is set in 1" on each side and he'll build them for you. He'll probably build you some motor mounts if you can get him a file with all the measurements. He's a top notch dude. Last time I called him I talked to him over a hour about Alaska. He's down to fabricate anything at a very affordable cost.
"Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag .We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language .and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

T. Roosevelt-1907
plyr2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #48
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

ChevyMan0784 will become famous soon enough

Scott, can you maybe just have the plates CNC'd for you? That way the precision part is taken care of? There are plenty of people with plasmacams and then there is TriJet. Im sure Dusty would take an order to have them made for you? Just a thought.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #49
snowbear

Yeah I've been thinking along that line. Maybe have someone cut the 'ear plates'. The place in L48 that built the ones in the pic above and can do what ever I want, for $$$

The trouble with anything that is not adjustable is everything has to be dead on or the rig wont track straight.

I've got an idea in my head and need to start cutting some cardboard.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:21 PM   #50
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

ChevyMan0784 will become famous soon enough

Another issue with non adjustable components is that if you ever bend anything or shift something while wheeling, you can adjust the difference out.