Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:09 PM   #76
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Suburban Expo build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeder57 View Post
My father Robert says its looking good! He said he knows you from school, Are you going to cross plate the tranny mount plates? For shear?
Thanx, from school? pm me a name! (I figured it out I need to drop by the shop more often)

Yeah, I'll box it full across the top, extend down the back an inch or so and something on the bottom that will give the flex/stresses a place to go.

Last edited by snowbear; 10-18-2015 at 11:23 AM.
snowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #77
snowbear

My second attempt at motor mounts. I didn't like the first ones, the engine was too high and I wanted a cross member tied in. Wish I had more to show for all the hours of work. The plan is to tie this to a pan that connects the engine cross member to the tranny cross menber. I keep thinking that I'll cross some point where things will start clicking.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:36 AM   #78
AKPrice
Registered Member

AKPrice is on a distinguished road

You want to dimple die those holes? I have some in my garage and my press.
1994 2wd f-150 soon to get a healthy bbf swap
1986 foxbody that I doubt ill get to
AKPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:16 AM   #79
snowbear

Thanx James. I've never done them mostly cause I don't have a set. I like the way they look and that they add strength while reducing weight. What I don't like is the way everyone turns them up. Seems like it just creates a cup to hold dirt. The only reason I put those holes was for draining/cleaning. I should have done that square one different but had already welded it when I figured out what would have worked and looked decent.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:07 PM   #80
snowbear

Plodding along

I wanted to do the main skid using 1/8" but didn't have enough so it's 3/16. Still needs runners down the sides and gusseting

t-case skid. This ones out of 1/8

Last edited by snowbear; 11-27-2015 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:27 PM   #81
snowbear

Built not bought

from the top

engine cross member
frame cross member, under t-case
tranny cross member
engine/tranny skid pan
t-case skid pan

Now waiting on parts to finish rear end. Then I can figure ride height. That will give me what I need to build coilover brackets for the front.

Not sure if I'll build brackets to make use of the factory F-350 overloads or not

Old 12-29-2015, 08:16 AM   #82
DRussell
Registered Member

DRussell has disabled reputation

Looking very nice! How long you suppose until it's ready for a test run?
DRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:43 PM   #83
snowbear

thanx. I gave up on setting deadlines. The original goal was to be done for this years vacation and take it on a very long road trip. That didn't work out and I am home for the vacation, which is ok, and working on it. I've reversed the goal, when it's done we will go for a drive

Where it stands now most of the drive train and suspension fab is done. Still have a big job for the coil overs and shocks. Also anti-wrap in the rear, sway bar in the front and steering, bumpers, ...

There is a ton of mechanical, electrical and interior that is barely started. The T-case is back together, need to do some seals in the tranny then service the engine, gaskets, KDP fix, etc. finish the axles. Then once they are all installed or ready to install there is a big job to do in the engine compartment; heat, AC, intercooler, radiator, wiring (mostly strip the original harness)... I'd like to keep the anti-lock brakes and that may take some figuring.

Once all that is moving along I'll go to work on the interior, outfitting it for 'overlanding'.

All this is just to get me motivated and go start on that dang floor panel today
Old 12-29-2015, 07:42 PM   #84
scout
Registered Member

scout is on a distinguished road

Is it going to be ready for the New Years run?
Old 12-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #85
snowbear

Replaced the drivers side floor pan

Build an engine 'stand' so I don't have to bend over all day to prep the mill. I may need some scaffolding to work on the top end tho...

Old 01-09-2016, 05:57 PM   #86
snowbear

Still plodding along. Started on some stuff that wasn't suppose to be hard, just takes time

never seems to work out that way

radiator outlet and intercooler outlet interference...

intercooler is up as far as it can go

these are times I fire up the shop vac and do something else for a little while

Old 01-09-2016, 06:01 PM   #87
snowbear

So after a bit of staring at it I thot what if I turn the radiator upside down?

would be unconventional for sure. Have to figure out what to do with the fill and overflow tubes...

I can turn one into the drain line. Need to figure out if I can cut in a fill tube or cap in the top. Otherwise it will have a couple inches of air at the top

Old 01-09-2016, 06:04 PM   #88
snowbear

Didn't see where anyone else has posted a problem with this. I've seen several builds where guys adapted the 6b to the stock 4l80 transmission and they never mentioned problems with this part. Guess I'll spend some time pouring thru the pages of builds to see if I missed something.

I still have the 6b radiator. It's 2.5" wider that the chevy. Maybe tomorrow I'll see if I can make it fit.

Last edited by snowbear; 01-09-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:36 PM   #89
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Scott, What material are the radiator tanks made of? Metal or composite?
I am assuming the larger diameter tube is the intercooler, is it possible to dimple the IC tube to clear the radiator hose? From the photo it doesn't look like it would take much. Good luck!

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.

Last edited by wasillashack; 01-09-2016 at 06:49 PM.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:13 PM   #90
snowbear

Well I couldn't stand it and rather than surf build threads I went and pulled the original dodge radiator. As I said it is wider at the top but does fit, barely, between the structural uprights of the chevy core support. I cut the upper mounts off the dodge rad then shaved it as tight to the radiator body as I was comfortable. Then trimmed the slot in the top of the core support and got it to fit. The whole mess was too high so I cut more out of the bottom of the core support, stripped the welded ac brackets off, and lowered the intercooler and the radiator. I think it'll be close.

Couple benefits of the dodge radiator is that it has a fill cap and the outlet to the engine comes out above the intercooler outlet. That will make the plumbing much cleaner so I am motivated to make it fit. A down side is the fill cap is a lot taller than the radiator body.

I'll have to put it all together to see if the hood will close. I still have to figure out how to fit and fab in the hood latch, ac condenser mounts and power steering cooler. Everybody says all this stuff fits behind the grill. I sure hope so. More pics tomorrow.

Last edited by snowbear; 01-09-2016 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #91
AKPrice
Registered Member

What about an aftermarket radiator? griffen has just about every size possible with outlets and inlets in different spots.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:18 PM   #92
snowbear

I've seen others use them. And others that modify the intercooler. Another option is 1st gen radiator and intercooler. On that combo you have to cut the lower core support out and lower the radiator to clear the hood.

We put the hood and core support in and after trimming the hood insulation the fill cap clears. I thot we had it licked until Pati suggested we fit the head lights. Well they don't fit... at all. The intercooler is so wide that it uses space needed by the bracket behind the bright light and the side to side adjuster. Since one broken we started cutting it up. I think I can make it fit but I have to relocate the intercooler mount. Then design some other kind of adjuster.

I have seen other builds with this intercooler radiator combo. I know they had to cut out the inner running light housing. Noone ever mentioned having to rework the head lights.

I didn't realize there was such a big difference between the 1st and 2nd gen radiator/intercooler package. Just wasn't paying attention I guess. The second gen package is probably close to a foot wider.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:28 PM   #93
snowbear

Here is how one guy solved the intercooler - headlight interference. He cut down the intercooler.

Mine, unmodified

Last edited by snowbear; 01-10-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:01 PM   #94
snowbear

Here's the 1st stuff

Last edited by snowbear; 01-10-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:24 PM   #95
snowbear

I decided to shave off the intercooler mounts and trim the lights. Not sure yet how I'll redo the light adjusters. The adjusters were froze up anyway. The intercooler has some little ears that can be used for mounting. Not as stout as the ones I removed but I think they will work. I remember seeing some grommets at the big box store. I'll try using some of those so it isn't mounted too tight.

Cutting the lights

mounted

test fit the grill

Next is mounting the ac condenser. Seems like most builds skimp on these brackets. I'll try and build little boxes to hold the stock rubber feet and then trim the inside of the grill.

Last edited by snowbear; 01-10-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:42 PM   #96
snowbear

Intercooler to inner fender clearance. Just going to require some trimming

Last edited by snowbear; 01-10-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #97
snowbear

I continue to work on the radiator/intercooler/ac condenser package

Here is some trimming needed to the hood latch assembly

Then it requires some straightening and still might require some spacers at the top of the core support.

Poor photography doesn't show the intercooler lower mount pockets that were frenched into the core support. I made some functional condenser mounts but they are not anywhere as nice looking as I'd like. Trouble is I haven't thot of anything better yet.

It took several attempts to get things this tightly packed. Even then it will require shaving an inch or more off the inside of the grill. I'm not too happy about that and am looking for other grills that allow the whole center section to be removed. If I can find the right stuff I'll switch and use something like expanded metal for the center section.

I've found the single headlight, open center grills on Cheyene's and GMC versions of the gmt400 bodys. If you happen to have one you want to part with let me know.

Something like this I'd cut the center out of

this dual headlight grill would work too

Last edited by snowbear; 01-11-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:50 PM   #98
AKPrice
Registered Member

im not a gm guy, but im pretty sure the later 90's up to 98 gmc trucks all had a one piece center grille. The chevys had the 2 piece the whole time. You can get those steet scene mesh grills for pretty cheap. I dont know what grille shell you have but i bet you can make a one piece center grille pretty easy.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #99
AKPrice
Registered Member

I made all of those out oem ford grilles. just took my time with an air saw or dia grinder and plastic welded where I needed to, or fuzer that you can get at hi tech in anchorage. The mesh is just standard steel mesh you can get at ak steel. I made one for an 03 chevy duramax also and made it be a solid center mesh grille. I had to add the same size channel section in the middle to get rid of the two bars. Worked out very good though and hasnt cracked the plastic or the paint for 3 or 4 years.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:47 PM   #100
snowbear

Thanx James. Can you tell me more about how to fastened the mesh? Are those fasteners rivets? Holding a trim ring?

I could work with this grill and cut out just the upper and lower black sections. I'll probably just start there then I can get on to fitting the other stuff behind it.

I'd like to remove the center cross bar but I can't figure a way dress the connections to the uprights next to the lights so they are nice an clean. I'm hung up on the fact that the center cross bar sticks out past everything else.

I will 'de-chrome' it eventually

Last edited by snowbear; 01-11-2016 at 08:48 PM.