Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #26
AKPrice
Registered Member

AKPrice is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Soggy bottom the build thread

Gotta little somethin somethin new tonight also

AKPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:04 PM   #27
Full83size
Registered Member

Full83size is on a distinguished road

nice!

*A Tree huggin, Boondockin adict...

-Babe the BLUE OX, 83' Chevrolet, tons and 45" AG's
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=55894
Full83size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #28
ak_petey
Registered Member

ak_petey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPrice View Post
And the tires backwards because IV only mounted two beadlocks so far and they just happened to be both rightys
If both are facing backwards just swap the right tire to the left side and vice versa.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #29
AKPrice
Registered Member

Only one was facing backwards in that picture... I had only mounted two of the beadlocks at that point and it was just for mock up
Old 04-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #30
AKPrice
Registered Member

Little picture up date. Been working on it here and there. Really need to get into overdrive.
Fabbing the bump stop pads

Shock hoops on

Got the axle pulled back out for finish welding. Will all be done tomorrow

Last edited by AKPrice; 04-28-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #31
AKPrice
Registered Member

Ended up making a double shear tab last min. Really glad I did.*

All the cast welding is done. I mig'd it. Pre heat/High heat and wire. Focused more on the cast and walked the puddle up or down to the mild steel depending on bracket. Now it's wrapped up tight to keep the heat in as long as possible.*
Old 04-28-2014, 09:20 PM   #32
AKPrice
Registered Member

The tops and bottoms of those lowers mounts will get a gusset also. And a web style gusset for the shock hoop.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:37 PM   #33
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

I'd be interested in it's weight, once finished. What are your plans for an engine?

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:13 AM   #34
AKPrice
Registered Member

It will be pretty heavy for a cherrokee. But I don't think much heavier than a jeep that's built with a frame from the factory. I only plated and added weight to known problem areas. And for the motor.... I'd like to get a 6.0... But I think a 5.3 might be a little cheaper and put out plenty with a cam and tune.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #35
AKPrice
Registered Member

And to add, i'v decided to not put the air shocks in the rear for now. IM running out of time and to be honest its nice being able to sleep in the hatch when me and my girl dont feel like popping a tent. Doing the air shocks would take me some time because I would want to trim the body nice and then the hatch would be impossible to sleep in till I make a false floor or something.

My buddy is also about to be building a Cherokee and he really wants 14" coil overs but hes waiting for a good deal. SO we can start his build with my 14" air shocks and he can even wheel it till he gets coil overs. Once he does it will only take a few mins to swap over. We will create everthing so it will transfer over. Maybe next winter ill put them in my jeep with a cage. Who knows. For now ill be doing my xj coils in the rear with a tri four link. I will still be doing a comp cut in the rear i think it wont be hard to make new sheet metal for it.

I stole this picture off line but its just to give me an idea. I really like it.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:54 AM   #36
AKPrice
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasillashack View Post
I'd be interested in it's weight, once finished. What are your plans for an engine?
All the uni body plating is 3/16's besides the front about 10" and a few fish plates I added and also where my upper three link bracket is welded. The truss is constructed of 3/16's also with vertical up rights that are 3/16's that are welded in and also has some tube tying it all together. I really don't think I added to much weight. the crossmember is made of 2x4x.25 rect tube with some 3/8's plate for the outside portion that ties it into the uni body. almost all my brackets I added are 1/4" plate besides a couple that I thought would be a high stress area and those are 3/8's also.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #37
Polack
Registered Member

Polack is on a distinguished road

That's one of my favorite XJs running around the internet. I've got a video of it in on my favorites list.

http://youtu.be/I4jHOkcJn4c
Old 05-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #38
AKPrice
Registered Member

Well might be back to running the air shocks. I don't know to be honest but hopefully I'll have either them or the coils mocked up this weekend. Got the hoops I'm for good and the crossbar made

Here's a picture of the shocks a and axle using all 16" of the coilover

And here's a picture of it on it's own weight and my buddy. The springs are just mock up springs and adjusted almost all the way up. Still waiting for my king springs to come in. Still has 2.5" till it's at full bump. Fronts all done besides the bungs being fully welded in the links. I'm going to wait till I have all my links done and do them all at once. On to the rear

Last edited by AKPrice; 05-02-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #39
AKPrice
Registered Member

Double post
Old 05-03-2014, 11:37 PM   #40
AKPrice
Registered Member

Didn't get any pictures but got all the stock rear parts out tonight and the unibody all wire wheeled. Also got the rear bridge all welded for the 10.25 and the big plate pieces for the uni stiffening. Tomorrow, if everything works out (rarely does) and a little help I should get a rear crossmember done and all the 4 link brackets tacked up and start cutting arms. I have a lot of body to cut back there also but It all depends on if my buddy is available to help with the rest of the work. Wish me luck.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:44 PM   #41
AKPrice
Registered Member

I cut some more brackets out last week that should make the 4 link in the rear go pretty smooth. Made some at a 22.5* angle so they can go flat against the uni body on the inside and go to the bridge. For the lowers they will come off my rear crossmember and go to the outsides of my axle. I'll be using the same style tabs I used on my front crossmember. I'm pretty set on using my air shocks. It will be a little more work but if I don't I will always wonder and wish I tried them out. I will try and remember to get some pictures tomorrow. Just got a lot on my plate and am getting a little over whelmed. I have another project I want to start on that's a classic and will be able to fit a jeep on the deck and won't need a car hauler. Just need to get the jeep done first.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #42
AKPrice
Registered Member

Well got the axle under it, rear crossmember done and in and the tabs tacked to it for the Tri four. Tomorrow night I'll get the brackets tacked to the axle and arms under it and start flexing it around. Then on to the sheet metal diet. And air shock buckets. The days after that. Then the little tendius stuff like relocating the battery and fuse box and figuring out a coolant overflow bottle and brake lines. Closing in on the finish but still feel like I have miles to go.
The other project I was talking about is a 1964 f600 that iv been looking at. Real cool truck just needs a lot of work. Needs all new tires and the rims are widow makers I believe. Other than that just the normal rust and some oil leaks. Has a large a frame and pto winch I think I'd sell just to recoup some money on the truck and parts needed.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:16 AM   #43
AKPrice
Registered Member

Well I dont have many pictures of all the progress but I did finally get the jeep started last night. Just have a few loose ends to tie up. like exhaust, intake and brakes. I will hopefullu get most of that done tonight. I still have to patch up some panels on the rear kinda comp cut. But at least I will be able to wheel this weekend I think. Right now the jeep is sitting about 3-4" higher than I want but until I get limiter straps the keep the coilover coils happy It will stay that way. I ended up pulling most of the ac out so I could get the battery to fit under the hood and keep some room in the back. Really happy about that. Got the air shocks all on and charged, pcm back in fuse box relocated, and a temp spot for a coolant overflow. A stop at Alaska rubber and the parts store for exhaust and intake parts today will help with the other loose ends.
dont mind the mess

Ill try and get some under the hood pictures tonight and maybe get it out in the yard and take some more pictures. Still also need to finish my trailer before this weekend too.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #44
yellowk20
Registered Member

yellowk20 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPrice View Post
Well got the axle under it, rear crossmember done and in and the tabs tacked to it for the Tri four. Tomorrow night I'll get the brackets tacked to the axle and arms under it and start flexing it around. Then on to the sheet metal diet. And air shock buckets. The days after that. Then the little tendius stuff like relocating the battery and fuse box and figuring out a coolant overflow bottle and brake lines. Closing in on the finish but still feel like I have miles to go.
The other project I was talking about is a 1964 f600 that iv been looking at. Real cool truck just needs a lot of work. Needs all new tires and the rims are widow makers I believe. Other than that just the normal rust and some oil leaks. Has a large a frame and pto winch I think I'd sell just to recoup some money on the truck and parts needed.

needs rockwells and 46" michelins
yellowk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #45
|AK|Chevelle
Registered Member

|AK|Chevelle is on a distinguished road

looks good bud!
|AK|Chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #46
Toy4Fun
Registered Member

Toy4Fun is on a distinguished road

Was that you pulling it on a trailer heading towards anchorage tonight? It looked good!

"Real life is interesting, unlike when I was in school, first you get the test and then the lesson.....!"
Toy4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:17 AM   #47
AKPrice
Registered Member

yeah I was taking it back to my house finally.

still have a few more odds and ends to tie up but I took it down the side of bogard last night
Old 05-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #48
Full83size
Registered Member

Full83size is on a distinguished road

What were your initial impressions? Looks pretty sweet, nice job James.

Edit: that trailer of yours is looking pretty good too! Where's the fat girl bead locks!?!?

*A Tree huggin, Boondockin adict...

-Babe the BLUE OX, 83' Chevrolet, tons and 45" AG's
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=55894

Last edited by Full83size; 05-21-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Full83size is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #49
AKPrice
Registered Member

first impression is i got a death wobble at about 35 on pavement. haha sketcky. Rides better than it did before on the 3" lift I want to soften it up some more and i want to get theres air shocks dialed in. Know one I hang out with has used them on a rig.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:06 AM   #50
AKPrice
Registered Member

Well got rid of the death wobbles by going thru all the links again and adjusting it all. I took it out yesterday all was going really great and the jeep was doing fantastic. Found one hole
That there wasn't a bottom to so I winched out. Little later on I broke down. I deal with metal for a living and do not know how it happened but I ripped my frame side pan hard mount in half. None of my welds failed it left about 3/4" of the bracket all the way around the welds. Took a long time and every strap we had to try and keep the axle under the jeep but I finally got out around 1am. On to the pictures