Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #101
AKPrice
Registered Member

AKPrice is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Soggy bottom the build thread

IV already plated the whole outside and most of the bottom of the uni body. I'm going to plate the inside where the box goes. Make my own steel steering box spacers and also add a selector shaft support.
AKPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:46 AM   #102
ak_petey
Registered Member

ak_petey is on a distinguished road

when I added hydro assist to my ram it made a world of difference.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #103
bigtex
Registered Member

bigtex is on a distinguished road

^ same here
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...lack-81-a.html
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...bler-tech.html
bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #104
AKPrice
Registered Member

Well I went out wheeling again today. Went up baldy. Got to the last big hill and my steering started acting up. Went from being perfect to no hydraulic steering at all. Couldn't hardly turn the wheel, I had to muscle it. Isn't leaking anywhere checked the fluid it was good. I had my girlfriend turn the steering wheel while I watched out front and it looked like the hydro ram was trying to move when she really cranked on it. I got back in and started heading back down and bam all power steering and assit started working great. Was steering with one finger again. Then about a half mile before the parking lot it stopped working again. Brought it home and got it off the trailer and still nothing. This is my second trip out with the assit and first time getting problems with it. Any ideas? I have never changed the pump on the jeep and didn't tap it out for higher flow since it was so easy to steer before. Think the pump went bad?
Old 09-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #105
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Have a cooler on your PS system?

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #106
|AK|Chevelle
Registered Member

|AK|Chevelle is on a distinguished road

Yea, What Shack said...,

My black jeep loses some steering after it gets hot and better when it cools down again. I just haven't had time to mess with it.
|AK|Chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:58 PM   #107
AKPrice
Registered Member

No I don't. And I was going to put one on... But when
I called redneck rams they said they never run them and it wasn't needed. And I read a lot of reviews of people liking there redneck kits. And I thought the same thing that maybe it was over heating. But I left baldy went to locals had dinner then drove to eagle river. And it still didn't work when I took it off the trailer.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:53 PM   #108
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Sounds like some air trapped in the system somewhere. If you have an connection at the highest point in the system, that is where you should bleed it.

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.

Last edited by wasillashack; 09-22-2014 at 11:54 PM.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:47 AM   #109
AKPrice
Registered Member

Ok, I just went over how Howe recommends bleeding the system and I did not do it that good. Im going to try it tonight. Weird part is when I got off work last night, I looked under the jeep and there was a lot of fluid. I didnt get to mess with it to much, working 12's only leaves me a little time to hang out with the lady. When I parked it the day before it wasnt leaking from anywhere. I hope I didnt mess anything up by driving it to the trailer with it not working correct. The fluid looked to be coming from the reservoir.

Last edited by AKPrice; 09-23-2014 at 05:49 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #110
|AK|Chevelle
Registered Member

|AK|Chevelle is on a distinguished road

yep, sounds like an air pocket
|AK|Chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #111
AKPrice
Registered Member

Yep it was air locked. Got it bleed pretty good I believe. Then I started to pull my tape around. I got a little help with this install and just went with it in a hurry since I had no experience in steering or rams back when I did it in July. Full lock to the right (turning to passenger side) I have 7/8's shaft showing. If I hold the wheel to full lock right i can see the front of my unibody push to the right. Full lock to the left I have 5.5" of shaft showing. Same here if i hold the wheel to lock the uni flexes to the left. This tells me my ram is forcing the steering further than my steering is wanting. It's an 8" ram and I heard that 8" is perfect for ford d60's. What is wrong? I'm thinking my drag link isn't the right length for one and might need a travel limiter in the ram. Anyone in the eagle river area good with steering? I'm sure we could work something out.

Last edited by AKPrice; 09-24-2014 at 05:35 AM. Reason: fixed my terminology and added more detail
Old 09-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #112
AKPrice
Registered Member

I'm not asking anyone to do the work for me. I'm just asking for some advice. I have a bunch of brackets and tabs around In my garage if someone can come over and point out or explain what is wrong. Thanks gyys
Old 09-24-2014, 05:39 AM   #113
AKPrice
Registered Member

I fixed some of my comment two posts up. I was in a hurry last night and said track bar on accident instead of drag link. I think my drag link is the wrong length. I know im suppose to keep both bars about the same length and angle. Right now im not getting any bump steer. And I like that, but id really like to get some better turning radius if possible and if it risks a little bump steer ill change my panhard later. From the looks of it, It is possible to get some more steering out of her.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:30 AM   #114
84Shortbed
Registered Member

84Shortbed has disabled reputation

When the steering bottoms is it hitting the stops? With an 8" ram you should have more than 5.5" ext. Should be right at 8". Need to cycle it back and forth. Find what is stopping the travel.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #115
AKPrice
Registered Member

No It wasn't hitting the stops at all. Im positive it's my drag link. I pulled the drag link off last night and it went all the way no problem. I just forgot to take measurements with it off. I'll go pull it again.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:47 AM   #116
AKPrice
Registered Member

I didnt get a chance to work on it last night. I think I need to shorten my drag link though. Hopefully tonight ill get some time.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:39 PM   #117
AKPrice
Registered Member

Went out there tonight. From my measurements my drag link is 1/4" to long. Even with the joints threaded in all the way. And I had them threaded in all the way always. I can cut one side off about 1 1/4" and weld a new bung on so I have some adjustment each way. But I don't think a 1/4 to long is doing this all to me. Could it be my pitman arm? I'm pretty sure it's stock. I never bought a new one at least.

I disconnected the drag link then steered it with just the ram and it worked perfect. The ram went right to the stops on each side when turned into them.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:49 PM   #118
AKPrice
Registered Member

Old 09-26-2014, 09:19 PM   #119
AKPrice
Registered Member

Well seems like everything's pointing to the pitman arm being to short. Now I'm trying to figure out how much longer to make it.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:20 AM   #120
84Shortbed
Registered Member

84Shortbed has disabled reputation

How can the drag link be too long and the pitman arm too short.... how did you setup the steering initially? Sounds like your missing something. If it was too long you would have lock one way and not the other. What is the stroke on the box? Lock to lock 8"? When I setup steering I always stroke the ram out to left and steer the axle to left set it up. Then back and forth. Check center. Set toe from there. You want to make sure your stroking the ram out. Otherwise you will break some ****. Sounds like the box won't stroke with the ram. Probably need stops in ram
Old 09-27-2014, 06:39 AM   #121
plyr2k
Registered Member

plyr2k is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the pitman arm is to short in relation to the crossover arm. It might be a custom thing to do with the radius of the jeep box, and the dana 60.

Chris, the drag link is the right size. With the pitman arm hooked up, he isnt getting the full steering movement on the axle because the box completes its stroke before the knuckles can even come close to their stops. Once the draglink is disconected from the pitman, he then gets full ram stroke, and full steering movement, including the knuckles contacting their stops.

Right?

Like you already stated James, i think your pitman arm is to short and is stroking out the box without throwing the draglink enough.
"Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag .We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language .and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

T. Roosevelt-1907
plyr2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:15 AM   #122
AKPrice
Registered Member

Exactly. The drag link is only a quarter inch to long. That's not going to cause all of this. The pitman arm is o short. The kingpin to knuckle mount is 7.5" so from what I see my pitman should be the same
Old 10-15-2014, 09:46 PM   #123
AKPrice
Registered Member

Well somehow it still isn't right. I cut the pitman arm apart and tacked a spacer in place to mock it all up. Shortend the drag link so I have adjustment also. Seemed to all work right. I took that first spacer out made a new final one and plated the sides and top and bottom and some rosset welds on all sides. It's solid and beef on the 27th of last month.

Since then I got really busy at work and had a Vegas vacation. Got back yesterday went out there tonight to start to finish the steering up. Now please don't mind this but I took notes on my phone and some pictures and I'm copying and pasting now.

The ram is 8" and not limited
88 ford Dana 60

7.75 shaft showing full lock to driver side on hydro ram

.75 shaft showing full lock to passenger side on ram

.25 to FACTORY bump stop bolts setting on the axle itself. These are the factory settings on the bolts off the factory 1988 f350 I got it out of. I know he didn't change them

Pitman arm is ruffly 6.375 center to center bolts.

Believe the pitman arm and drag link are correct length to the 1/8" my crude way to figure out again tonight to check my last work was to steer all the way driver and passenger and at each full bump pulled the drag link bolt to pitman arm then went back in the jeep and turned the wheel a little more that same way to make sure the pitman arm didnt want to go farther and the bolt went back in each way with no adjustments.

I can limit the ram and move the tabs on the drag link for the ram either way and also move the factory bump bolts on axle but I'm thinking I can make something better and these measurements arnt adding up.

Can someone give me some pointers? I pulled It in the garage and have it on the lift now up and down in seconds. If someone thinks it would be easier to show than explain I'm all for it. I'm sure I can make it worth there time. I'm trying but IV read so much on this subject and tried a lot. I think it's something stupid simple I'm looking over or over thinking it. I can do the fab work but IV honestly never messed with steering till the ton swap. Just need some pointers one way or another.

Last edited by AKPrice; 10-15-2014 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Added ram specs
Old 10-15-2014, 10:05 PM   #124
AKPrice
Registered Member

Stock pitman arm

Finished new pitman arm

Full lock passenger after pitman arm mods .75 ram assist shaft showing

Full driver lock 7.75 ram assist shaft showing.

Little closer picture on driver lock

This is to show how well the drag link still bolts up both left and right lock looked the same.

All this makes me want to go full hydro to be honest but I think I just need to learn about steering before I give up on this. It should work great. And until I got the air bubble and started looking into it I thought it did. But now I know it's no where near what I could have with what I have

Last edited by AKPrice; 10-15-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:35 AM   #125
AKPrice
Registered Member

Iv been wanting new tires for a little while. I found an ag that I really want, but I cant find them anywhere anymore diversified use to have them. They are RT 765's 380-70r20's Thats about a 43x15 it has about a 1.625 lug. They are R1's. Well my buddy bought a set of 13.6r24's last year and never got around to using them so I went to his house last night and borrowed them just to see what it would look like and what it would take to run them. On to the pictures

Last edited by AKPrice; 10-30-2014 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Had the same picture on twice