Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:41 PM   #1
ponyracer
Registered Member

ponyracer has disabled reputation
Default Project Nasty

She's a nasty old ***** so I figured that was as good a name as any. I guess I have a thing for crewcabs, 3 yrs ago I bought a dually 454 4x4, put a cummins in it, parted it out and sold it to Joe. Then I bought my 2nd one, 6.2 th400, SRW 4x4. I converted it to dually, 6" lift, flatbed, etc. Some guy wanted it more than I did so down the road she went. I decided I needed another one recently and decided to build a "pretty" truck. One that I can haul the family in, tow anything I need to tow and get decent fuel mileage. So I bought Joe's 1 yr model 1991, 6.2 4l80E/205. She's an old slope truck, still has the numbers on the roof. Pretty respectable shape, little to no rust. Here's the plan.

SWB conversion
6" lift, front springs, rear shackle flip, 2" blocks (for now, will upgrade to new springs down the road)
Rear mount blazer tank
2wd box with crossover/histeer
37" hummer tires on stock 24b wheels
Swap to dually width front, HD d70 dually rear with 14b srw outers.
Rear axle will get a lock right, front may get an arb or similar down the road.

Drivetrain will stay stock for now, I have a 1997 5.9 cummins that will go into it once I get moved this summer.

I've been collecting parts over last 3 weeks so I took this week off and I'm hard at it. Onto the pics:

This is the plan. Not sure how I'll like the stepside but I can always swap it out later.

Starting point

The first order of business was to swap axles. I swapped hubs in front with my neighbors truck (the old white/black 77 I had) and then I swapped the entire rear axle. Went from a 14b SRW to a HD D70. I swapped out the outers for disk brake SRW 14b hubs to align the track width with the front. The internet experts were right and all went well.

Bed came off first. Will be using the floor in my stepside. Saving the fuel doors, the rest is going to the scrapper. The fuel tanks, exhaust, and all unnecessary brackets followed soon after.

I leveled the truck to make the reattachment easier. Fun on a slopes driveway, she was up about 2' in the front.

I cut the section out and rolled the rear half forward. All went well and a squared it up and welded her back together. Still need to take it to the shop when its driveable and go over it with the mig as well as add the fish plate on the inside.

Since I was already working on the rear I went ahead and did my ruffstuff specialties shackle flip.

Then I started on mounting the new hitch, $75 off CL, came from a dodge 3500, would have been a bolt on except that I slid the hitch forward for the SWB swap and the angle wasn't right. I cut it and tacked it. Took it in to the shop to burn it in this evening.
ponyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:53 PM   #2
ponyracer
Registered Member

Default Re: Project Nasty

Also got the new 31 gallon blazer tank mounted. Came out pretty sharp if I do say so myself.
Front mounts. You can also see the new shock mounts. The tank hit the rear stocker so I figured this was the way to go.

Rear mount. Used the factory crossmember in the stock location.

Mounted plates like this on the front and rear, the straps suck the tank up against these. Will be putting a piece of rubber under them when I final mount the tank.

This one you can see the lower shock mounts. Not a fan of mounting them so close to the center but we'll see how they work. They are pretty close to vertical so that's a def plus.

More to come tomorrow. I pulled the tank and hitch tonight, got it welded and will permanently install tomorrow. Then I need to sort out the rear disc caliper mounts and run the brake lines and fuel lines. I'm having the driveshaft shortened at six states, should be done tomorrow. I'm staying 2 piece for strength. Hopefully tom afternoon I'll be putting in the front springs and steering. Fun times!
Old 03-03-2015, 07:39 PM   #3
joe231
Registered Member

joe231 is on a distinguished road

You have been busy!!
Looks good.
From the looks of the pics your gas tank isn't level front to rear?

Chevy Only
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:28 PM   #4
ponyracer
Registered Member

Ya its a little higher in the front. I'm going to reuse the sending unit out of the 40 gallon sub tank I have. I'll just extend the pickup to the rear some. I'll have to look, I don't think its as bad as that pic makes it seem.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:29 PM   #5
ak_petey
Registered Member

ak_petey is on a distinguished road

Don't make vertical welds on the frame bob job. Make sure the cuts and welds are at angles .
Old 03-03-2015, 08:33 PM   #6
AKPrice
Registered Member

AKPrice is on a distinguished road

That notch will be fine after fish plating it. I wouldn't even think twice about it. Are you using an astro van 2wd box? Forward facing pitman arm.
AKPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:35 PM   #7
AKPrice
Registered Member

AKPrice is on a distinguished road

If it was straight up and down I'd agree though. The way he's got it marked out is the same way I planned on doing It on a project.
AKPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #8
ponyracer
Registered Member

Its considered a "Z" cut and has 6" legs. You can see it in the frame pic with all the X's. That's the part that gets removed. I'm using a 2wd PSC box with crossover.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:28 AM   #9
joe231
Registered Member

Everyone has their "don't do it that way" on frame welding cause so and so said lol
I was planning on shortening one like you did, then I ended up buying my CCSB 2wd already shortened. They just cut the frame straight vertically and plated it, like so many say not to do. I was worried about it at first, so I watched the joint. No cracks or any problems and I towed some heavy stuff with it. I think the strength depends more on the welding than the way it's cut...

Chevy Only
Old 03-04-2015, 07:27 PM   #10
ponyracer
Registered Member

Made some progress today. Got the rear brakes sorted and all the lines run, installed the hitch and tank, lowered the front mount so it's a lot more level now. Pulled the drivers side front apart, got the spring in and the steering box swapped out. Picked up my driveshaft and bent up my shock hoops this evening so I'll get the front finished up tomorrow and get the shock mounts buttoned up. Next will be taking it into the shop for some welding and get after putting the bed on. Hoping to have her back on the road by the weekend.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:55 PM   #11
ponyracer
Registered Member

My 4 degree wedges showed up today so I was able to button the front up. Just need to sort out the rear brake line, bolt in the driveshaft crossmember and mount an exhaust hanger. Should have her back on the road tomorrow afternoon. Been a long week but its worth it, this thing is a monster!
Old 03-05-2015, 10:23 PM   #12
joe231
Registered Member

More pics, please?

Chevy Only
Old 03-06-2015, 01:10 PM   #13
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Very nice work! Your concerns about the short distance between the lower shock mounts is valid, I think. Shorter distances mean the shock has less leverage to prevent chassis roll, and control suspension movement.

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.

Last edited by wasillashack; 07-24-2016 at 03:36 AM.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:11 PM   #14
ponyracer
Registered Member

I think I'm going to angle the top brackets and move the lower mounts out as far as possible. Today was another long day. After prob 10 runs to the parts store I have the brakes buttoned up, the driveshaft in, the exhaust on, oil changed, and a bunch of other little things. Just need to finish up the tailights and I'm going to go into the shop for some welding and to mount the bed.

If you've never run a 6.2 straight piped you should! 3" to under the cab to 4" to the front spring hanget anda 90 degree out to the pass side. Sounds beastly. (Well as beastly as a 6.2 can lol)

Yes joe ill upload pics tomorrow, promise!
Old 03-07-2015, 05:47 PM   #15
ponyracer
Registered Member

Here you go Joe, a few teaser shots.

Took it to the shop today, welded the fish plates on, got the front shocks done and the bed somewhat mounted. Had installed 4 degree shims on the front, SUPER light steering and death wobble bad enough to pucker Chuck Norris's butthole. Never went over 25mph. Pulled the wedges, trying to get some decent tires on the front. More road testing tomorrow. Still need to finish mounting the bed, attach the rear lights permanently, and move the rear shock mounts. HOPEFULLY I can sort out the DW tomorrow.

Last edited by ponyracer; 03-07-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:57 PM   #16
joe231
Registered Member

Very cool!!
Did you go springless on the kingpins with the crossover steering?

Chevy Only
Old 03-07-2015, 07:31 PM   #17
ponyracer
Registered Member

Springless? Never heard of such a thing. Just pulled the stock pass cap ans installed the arp studs then the arm that is designed the same as the stock cap. The spring was in there.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:13 PM   #18
rideAK4fun
Registered Member

rideAK4fun has disabled reputation

Nice work Phil! Good looking progress on your stepper project.
rideAK4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #19
joe231
Registered Member

Yeah
Springless is the way to go. http://www.fourwheelsupply.net/produ...r-arm-hd-thick
Your kingpin springs are probably wore out. You can add a couple washers under the caps to tighten up.

Chevy Only

Last edited by joe231; 03-07-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:03 AM   #20
ponyracer
Registered Member

Thanks joe ill look into that. I forgot about the washer trick, ill add a few this morning..
Old 03-08-2015, 09:16 AM   #21
joe231
Registered Member

No problem

Chevy Only
Old 03-08-2015, 04:51 PM   #22
ponyracer
Registered Member

Well I washered the king pins today, fyi 3/8 fender washers work perfectly and you can put 2 on the top of the spring and still just get the nuts to start. Mounted the rear shocks, cleaned up the wiring and melted a rear brake line. Never seen it happen before. Used the ubolt as a ground, metal braided line was laying against the other u bolt. After a few minutes of welding on the lower shock mount I heard a pop, looked over and my brake line was on fire!?!? Apparently it got hot enough to melt the inner line. So that killed any possible test drives today.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:17 PM   #23
joe231
Registered Member

Well that sucks

Chevy Only
Old 03-09-2015, 06:22 PM   #24
ponyracer
Registered Member

Ok got her fixed up and test drove tonight. Still a little twitchy and needs tires but she goes down the road. Has anyone ever driven with a psc box? I'm wondering if they are somehow "overdriven" because this is the easiest steering truck I've ever seen. Even with 37's there is zero resistence in the wheel when turning. Feels like a full hydro setup.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #25
ponyracer
Registered Member

Well she made it to alaska spring for an alignment today. Decided to pull the h1's off and run the dually wheels with the 285s I have because the weight and size of the hummers are going to kill the 6.2 lol. The gearing calculator says it will be perfect with the cummins at 65 with the current 4.10s so I'm not regearing it. Will be doing the cummins swap when I get down south this summer, just have to deal with the 285s til then.