Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:40 PM   #26
ponyracer
Registered Member

ponyracer has disabled reputation
Default Re: Project Nasty

Live and learn. Since I swapped the 14b hubs onto the d70 and welded the brake bracket in place the dually wheel will no longer fit. Uggggg I guess the search continues for some decent hummer tires in an mtr or baja ta pattern.
ponyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:37 PM   #27
ponyracer
Registered Member

I spent some quality time with a welder tonight, made up some 1.25" black pipe nerf bars so I don't have to listen to short people ***** anymore. Prob going to start on the front bumper this weekend. Pics to follow.

Now that I've put some mileage on it I've developed an odd problem. I'm running a psc box, crossover steering, no swaybars. The front was aligned by ak spring, the fronts good and the rear is perfect within 1/16 of an inch. They were amazed and said that was better than most factory setups. Anyway, on to the issue. When driving and you hit a hole esspecially on the right front, the truck gets very "loose". Almost feels like the front axle is shifting side to side under the truck. The steering wheel doesn't jump or move at all. I've had multiple trucks with no sway bars, leaf and coil sprung and I've never had an issue like this. I washered the kingpins, the shocks are new, the tires are decent, air pressure balanced, and everything was looked over by ak spring but they never drove it. The other thing is the truck has SUPER light steering as in it feels like full hydro. No resistance in the wheel what so ever. My sons k5 was the exact same setup with a stock 2wd box and it didn't steer like this. I can only asume that the psc box has been beefed up somehow?

The only thing I haven't checked is how good the aftermarket steering stabilizer is. Since the wheel doesn't move I doubt that's it. My next solution will be having ak spring drive it and then possibly building a hiem joint track bar. I don't believe I should have to on a leaf sprung truck so that will be a last resort.

Last edited by ponyracer; 03-19-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:17 PM   #28
joe231
Registered Member

joe231 is on a distinguished road

pics to follow? When? I need pics!!

Did you get the box from PSC?
I'd give them a call and see what they say.
How many turns of the steering wheel lock to lock?

Chevy Only

Last edited by joe231; 03-19-2015 at 09:19 PM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:59 AM   #29
Rdrash
Registered Member

Rdrash is on a distinguished road

I bought Jonny Wich's crew cab from Rocky it has the PSC box and ram on it and it turns easier than factory with 43" unbalanced Michelins.

Could it just be the perception that the steering should be heavy and slow? I'd ditch the stabilizer also should not need one with the assist.

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

“A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment”
Rdrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:51 AM   #30
ponyracer
Registered Member

Lol sorry joe my comp has been at work. Ill bring it home this weekend and get some pics up.

Rdrash, no assist just the steering box.

I also checked the front end by having my son rock the wheel while the truck is running, no obvious signs of play in any joints. Spring bushings are in great shape. This weekend I'm going to check the stabilizer to eliminate that. I might start shopping for a go pro since I want one anyway. Mount that on the front bumper looking at the axle and go hit some bumps.

Last edited by ponyracer; 03-20-2015 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:14 AM   #31
84Shortbed
Registered Member

84Shortbed has disabled reputation

What upper shackle hangers are you using? Stock? The stock shackle hangers are famous for allowing the rear of the springs to shift side to side.. when ak spring checked the front what were the measurements? Toe in? Caster? Sometimes when someone says it's all good that just means in spec whether that's the lower end or high end. I'd make sure your toe is set 1/8" in. Make sure you have a minimum of 4 or 5* positive caster for a DD rig.. shimming the king pins shouldn't matter with a 37" tire. I ran 42's on the hwy with no shims... is your crossover steering link tight?
Old 03-20-2015, 10:37 AM   #32
ponyracer
Registered Member

Here's the info.

Camber Lf -0.6 rf -0.3
Caster lf 9.1 degrees rf 8.3 degrees
Toe lf 0.10 degrees rf 0.06 degrees

So looking at these #s vs what your saying I've got too much caster? I've got some 4 degree steel wedges to put in if needed.

Stock upper hangers front and rear. Homeade 3/8" shackles. Ill have to measure them, they are pretty long, prob 7" or so. Wonder if they are "leveraging" the stock bushings and causing it. I do have some different upper mounts with a larger bolt hole but they are also larger in diameter and won't fit through the stock frame hole. Maybe akpetey can chime in on what they are from since I got them with the springs I bought from him.

Last edited by ponyracer; 03-20-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:21 PM   #33
joe231
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure those are the Larger aftermarket upgraded FUSH's (front upper shackle hanger). You have to open the hole in the frame to use them or relocate them.

Chevy Only
Old 03-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #34
ponyracer
Registered Member

I'm not sure, they are basically identical to stock just a touch larger. Chasing a more immediate issue currently. Driving back from getting lunch I noticed the speedo wasn't working and the tranny won't shift, yay for limp mode! Uggggggg blowing the gauge and tranny fuse as soon as u turn on the key. Replaced the vss and both input sensors. No change. Pulled the pan and checked the wires. All look good. Unplugged all the connectors and pulled the harness down, still blows the fuse. Has to be in the wiring between the tranny and the dash. Once I get the tranny back together I'm moving up the line to the dash. I ****ing hate wiring.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:38 PM   #35
AKPrice
Registered Member

AKPrice is on a distinguished road

Yeah I feel you in the wiring department. Screw that stuff. And 9* caster is pretty high. I'd try and knock that down about 3*. Lower you gothe better steering. The higher the steering wheel should react better that's what IV heard and have been living by. Think my jeep is at about 2*
AKPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:32 AM   #36
joe231
Registered Member

I had a similar wiring issue a few years back, I Don't remember exactly, but the gauge fuse was popping. Seems like it was a hot wire under the hood had shorted out. I'll try to look a a schematic and jog my memory.

Chevy Only
Old 03-21-2015, 10:30 AM   #37
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

5-7 degrees of caster is pretty common. Caster is what makes front wheels return to center after a turn. Some IHC Scouts had 0 degrees caster, and driving them reminded me of a rabbit looking for a hole, constantly back and forth. If I understand correctly, you feel like the front axle is moving side to side? If so, and you mentioned death wobble also, I'd look at 1. shackles and mounting hardware 2. track bar, bushings and hardware if present 3. wheel bearing preload, 4.spring bushings and hardware. Of course check all bolt holes for elongation too.

Our F350's at work used leaf springs and track bars, I think manufacturers use softer durometer bushings to reduce noise and improve ride quality, which then requires the bandaid of a track bar to reduce any play due to wear. When the track bar bushings wear out, lost motion occurs resulting in death wobble, and vague steering. Steering stailizers or dampers are really bandaids too.

HTH, Good luck!

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.

Last edited by wasillashack; 03-21-2015 at 10:36 AM.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:51 PM   #38
ponyracer
Registered Member

Thanks joe. Well now the tranny is all back together and the tranny fuse and the gauge fuse is holding. Oh but now the pos is in limp mode. Grrrrrrrr

Wasillashack I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the rear spring bushings. They are those crap push in 2 piece mushroom ones. I'm going to replace them for starters. Yes the cator is 9 degrees. Supposedly that's "perfect". I'm going to stick the 4 degree shims in it to see what it feels like. Figure that will get me about 5 degrees.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:48 PM   #39
84Shortbed
Registered Member

84Shortbed has disabled reputation

4-10* positive caster. Which is where the top king pin is tipped towards rear of vehicle. Negative caster (bad on a DD rig) is where the caster is tipped forward. What this does is cause the tires to hunt and not have a natural drop back to center symptom. Your death wobble Is most definitely bigger/longer shackles matched with stock upper shackle hangers. That's the first thing I would change. If you have a FUSH. Kit that you got from pete then take a die grinder and bore the hole out and get that in there.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:26 AM   #40
ponyracer
Registered Member

Huh. Thanks for that explanation 84shortbed. So apparently due to the springs and shackles I'm running my king pins are are leaned to the rear 8-9 degrees. So if I shorten the front spring shackles (I looked today and they are too long) that will raise the rear of the spring effectively rolling my king pins forward and removing some caster. Ill do that along with getting the fush kit mounted. Still need to sort out some better spring bushings but this will be a start.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #41
ponyracer
Registered Member

Well since I promised some pics, heres a few. Haven't done much noteworthy since I've been chasing this tranny issue. I took a break and worked on the trailer instead. Did get some nerf bars welded up Friday night.

Poser shot before the "*****" bars were installed. (nerf bars to keep my short wife from having to climb in and the *****ing that followed.)

Fuel pics

Old 03-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #42
ponyracer
Registered Member

Well I spent last night working on the front end. Got the pass side FUSH in and new rear bushings with larger bolts. Also redrilled the lower shackle holes 2" higher so the spring sits higher. Drilled it to high so under compression the eye hits the frame. Going to pull it back apart and redrill again 1" lower. As I was sliding around under the truck I happened to look at the spring plates and noticed that one of the lock washers under the nut on the studs wasn't compressed. Turns out all the ubolts were loose as well. So I was spot on, the axles WAS moving side to side under the truck. I'm not sure why they came loose as I impacted them on then hit them with a breaker bar. So I cranked them down and most of the twitchiness is gone. I'm going to replace the nuts on the ubolts as they are used locknuts, not sure how the nuts/lock washers loosened. The studs are B7 spec and are recommended on pirate etc.

Last edited by ponyracer; 03-25-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:50 PM   #43
ponyracer
Registered Member

I love cl. Just picked up a new fab fours winch bumper for 100 $. Its about a foot too narrow and the winch plate is wrong for my application so I'm going to do some custmization to the center section. Apparently it got damaged in shipping, one of the grill gaurd bars had a dent in it.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:43 PM   #44
joe231
Registered Member

Any new progress?

Chevy Only
Old 03-31-2015, 05:32 AM   #45
ponyracer
Registered Member

Na I've been busy painting a schoolbus white. Trying to get the hauler legal this week. This weekend I'm going to finish up the front suspension and start on the bumper.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:01 AM   #46
joe231
Registered Member

Cool
Are you planning on using the engine in the bus for your swap down the road?

Chevy Only
Old 03-31-2015, 08:19 PM   #47
ponyracer
Registered Member

Sure am! Already straight piped her and turned the pump up. Also have full phantom autometer gauges that ill be transfering over, boost, pyro, op, water temp.

Started on my bumper tonight. Cut a foot or so out of the center and added a larger chunk back in. I got it bolted together as the sun went down. Gotta sort out the mounts tom.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:26 PM   #48
joe231
Registered Member

That's awesome!

Chevy Only
Old 04-25-2015, 03:28 PM   #49
joe231
Registered Member

Where are the new pictures man?

Chevy Only
Old 04-25-2015, 09:30 PM   #50
ponyracer
Registered Member

LOL sorry, been working on the mustang. I swapped the crossover out for the stock setup, Works SOOOOOOO much better. Got a set of airbags and a rear swaybar, just need to get them installed. Also have the front swaybar to put on yet. Prob not much more going to go on with her once that stuff is done. Will be shipping her to my next assignment. Going to Comifornia!