Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #1
907_Chevy
Registered Member

907_Chevy has disabled reputation
Default 85 Crew Cab Chevy Build (Slow!!!)

85 Crew Cab Chevy Build (Slow)

I have been lurking around here and Pirate 4x4 for a long time now and figure itís time to make build thread to help give me some motivation. Right now stuck Iím on standby till equipment arrives and make some progress on the slope so lots of time. I picked up a 85 crew cab Chevy and a Chevy dually trailer few years ago and have made very little progress on it because money, time, and space but been driving me nuts that I havenít gotten much done. I have done lots of wheeling with my four-wheeler and stock truck but fill the addiction. Anyway Iím going to start dumping some money and time into it this project as I can.

Start:
85 crew cab Chevy 1-ton long bed: 350-th400-NP205
Some plugs and wires had around she started and drove but smoky.

I have already cut 22 inches out of the frame but still need bracing. I will do the bracing when I make new front spring mounts for the rear lift. The front lift consists of tube welded under frame with spring mounts attached. I currently have 56-inch springs with longer shackle (need all new bushings). Once I get the motor, tranny and doubler I will fine-tune the shackle angle. I also picked up some 38.5X15R15 Gumbo Monster Mudders. To run the 15-inch rims I had to grind the front calipers down. I read several threads on this and no one has had an issue with it. I also acquired some studded dual wheel semi truck chains. I split them apart and made adjustments to fit my tires, they run a little high on sidewall right now but will see how they do.

From sitting for so long the tires are pretty shot, would like to run about 44-inch tires. Debating on AGS but do not trailer at the moment, anyway this is long time away as lots of other stuff to build before worry about tires.

My garage has been taken over by a passed family memberís belongings so I started to work on stuff for my doubler. I pulled the gear reduction off a GM NP203 I have picked up. I when through it and looked great so threw new seals in it. I tore down the GM NP205, which was also in great shape. I ground the shifters to make it a twin stick threw all new seals in it. As I was putting the last piece on (the detent switch for the 4wd light), it snapped off with barley any pressure. Used easy out to get out with no issues and have ordered an adjustable detent kit for both shifters.

So first order of business when I get home is to box my frame by the steering box. I have NWF cross over, high steer arms with a 3.5-inch drop pitman arm and 2wd steering box. The kit came with weld in bungs. I bought Sch 80 pipe as every place I talked to said DOM tubing isnít feasible unless order large quantities. In my down time up here I stumbled on thread saying Green Tree Fab sells DOM and when I called it was about $12/ft so will pick up some when get back.

With steering back, I plan to drop the heavy drums and install some disc brakes. I already have the brackets, extended brake lines, proportioning valve, and calipers (Cadillac Eldorado calipers so can have e-brake) just need the rotor and pads. With the axle tore apart I plan to weld the spider gears while axles are out and make a U-joint guard. New seal and bearing if needed.

With the extra weight off I will work on the rear lift. I have a DIY4X shackle flip kit and plan to make a new from spring mount while doing this plate up the frame splice. I plan to keep the 63-inch rears springs.

While scouring craiglist, I found a 6.0 L from a 2000 Chevy 2500 Silverado that was wrecked. He is holding for me till I get back to town or at least said he would. Will be picking it up also start stripping wiring harness and plan to send ECM to Jesse with wait4mepreformace. I have heard good things and does free updates with any additional mods in the future.

When the engine is finished up plan to rebuild th400 with a 1-2 manual conversion. Not sure what kit is best bang for buck and what converter stall should be. I have read a lot of people run stock stall and do good with it. I plan to investigate more when closer so donít forget it all when comes time to work on it but any input is welcome.

Onto the doubler, the plan is to run a NWF doubler as it will give me several clocking options, as I have no clue what I want right now. When making new cross members I plan on incorporating a full skid plate. Then add some rock sliders, bumpers with mount for my 12,000 lb winch, flat bed, drivelines and tires to get it out to play .

I also plan on a front locker, hydro assist, and OBA but will be after get her running. Wow that was a long list. Will be a slower build but any input is welcome and thank you in advance.
907_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
907_Chevy
Registered Member

Default Re: 85 Crew Cab Chevy Build (Slow!!!)

There are some pictures of what I have done so far.
Attached Images

Last edited by 907_Chevy; 03-20-2015 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Huge pics
Old 03-20-2015, 05:27 PM   #3
Purdy1105
Registered Member

Purdy1105 has disabled reputation

welcome aboard neighbor?
Purdy1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:18 PM   #4
907_Chevy
Registered Member

Yup thats me. I'm finally going to get that yard ornament going!
Old 03-20-2015, 07:37 PM   #5
ponyracer
Registered Member

ponyracer has disabled reputation

Digging the jack stands!
ponyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:04 PM   #6
907_Chevy
Registered Member

They work great. Trim to perfect height lol
Old 03-20-2015, 10:28 PM   #7
AKPrice
Registered Member

AKPrice is on a distinguished road

Idk if you bought the 2wd box or hydro assist but I have a complete set up for sale already. You motor swap is close to the same as mine. A lot of things add up. FYI knock sensors are abut $60 each. Just little things like that turn an $800 build to $1500 in no time. I can order Dom for a good price just need to get a decent order. Gtf buys it from us. They are the best option and fair pricing for rush jobs. I can get sticks in 10-14 days on PAF. Nice build man should be a lifetime of fun.

Last edited by AKPrice; 03-20-2015 at 10:29 PM.
AKPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:30 AM   #8
907_Chevy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPrice View Post
Idk if you bought the 2wd box or hydro assist but I have a complete set up for sale already. You motor swap is close to the same as mine. A lot of things add up. FYI knock sensors are abut $60 each. Just little things like that turn an $800 build to $1500 in no time. I can order Dom for a good price just need to get a decent order. Gtf buys it from us. They are the best option and fair pricing for rush jobs. I can get sticks in 10-14 days on PAF. Nice build man should be a lifetime of fun.
I picked up the 2wd box for cheap a while back. I might be interested in your hydro assist but will be a little before have the cash as spending my extra on this 6.0L.

I'm hoping that I won't need to buy very much (fingers crossed) as I'm getting everything from the radiator to the exhaust and he said during the swap if need anything extra for the swap, I can come grab off the truck free.

Did you send out your wiring harness or did you rework it yourself? Who did you send computer to?

When do you think your next order will be? Do you just order DOM or you get good prices on square tubing also? I need 7/8" ID for the weld in bungs.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:46 AM   #9
907_Chevy
Registered Member

Made some progress last few weeks. I picked up the rest of the 2000 Chevy 2500 Silverado for the 6.0L motor and got it pulled. Moved the buggy into a place to work on it and installed shackle flip on it. Not much but more than nothing.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2015, 10:47 AM   #10
joe231
Registered Member

joe231 is on a distinguished road

Awesome!
I'm building a similar truck.
I have a '99 6.0 I'm gonna run.
How much does Jesse charge for the computer re-programming?
I'm thinking of using the guy from LT1swap.com on mine.

Chevy Only
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:06 PM   #11
907_Chevy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
Awesome!
I'm building a similar truck.
I have a '99 6.0 I'm gonna run.
How much does Jesse charge for the computer re-programming?
I'm thinking of using the guy from LT1swap.com on mine.
When I talked to him it was $88 and also provides free reflash for any changes/upgrades in the future.
Does the guy from LT1swap do that? I have just heard lots of good stuff about Jesse.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:54 PM   #12
joe231
Registered Member

I'm not sure about that, I'll look into it...

Chevy Only
Old 04-27-2015, 08:52 PM   #13
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

907 Chevy,
Is the square tubing transverse shackle mount attached to the frame anywhere but the angle iron, hard to tell from the pix.

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:23 PM   #14
AKPrice
Registered Member

Sorry I never replied. I planned on doing my own harness but I had a few broken plugs and wires so I decided to send it out. Sent it the the 12Vguy. I think it was $225 including return shipping. It's a nice harness.
1994 2wd f-150 soon to get a healthy bbf swap
1986 foxbody that I doubt ill get to
Old 04-28-2015, 05:42 AM   #15
AKPrice
Registered Member

And I havnt sent out my computer yet. I really wanted to get someone in town to do it. I talked to two differnt guys one wants to live tune it and that was pretty expensive, the other was about half the price at $200 at underground but that is just unlocking and a base tune without the vehicle. Iv heard some scary stories about his tunes though but iv never personaly seen anything bad though and its not like hes trying to get mass power out of it.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:44 AM   #16
907_Chevy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasillashack View Post
907 Chevy,
Is the square tubing transverse shackle mount attached to the frame anywhere but the angle iron, hard to tell from the pix.
The square tube is under the frame. I cut the bottom of flange and bent it down so the tubing would be flat instead of an incline that the front of the frame is normally. The angle is there to brace that cut and is welded around the entire angle can the frame cut. I attached pic that shows the cut to the bottom flange.

AKPrice,
I also wanted to get it flashed in town but I had not looked into it too much. Let me know what route you go and if your happy with it.
I think Jesse was $360 for work harness and flash computer with return shipping. I was debating if it was worth it. I'm wanting to put the computer in the cab (behind glove box like and 1987 TBI ECM) to help keep it protected.
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #17
907_Chevy
Registered Member

Figured I should update this since been while.
I have completed:
Crossover steering (Raised NWF arms)
Rebuild steering box
Reinforcing frame
Rear lift
Replaced all spring bushings
3 inch body lift
Finished doubler (had to replace 205 input as it was worn out)
Extracted 4 broken exhaust bolts in heads
Welded rear differential (did not get picture when finished, only start)
Wiring harness rewired by waitforperformance.
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2015, 08:02 PM   #18
joe231
Registered Member

Looks good!
I didn't realize who you were when I met you at Greg's lol

Chevy Only
Old 08-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #19
907_Chevy
Registered Member

Thanks.
Lol no problem. It was good to meet some more guys from here.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:50 PM   #20
AKPrice
Registered Member

I ended up Buying hp tuners pro. Havnt used it yet but I figured it was the best option for for the future. I can tune it anywhere with a laptop and I can also data log without a laptop. Just a lot of reading to do to teach myself.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:22 AM   #21
907_Chevy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPrice View Post
I ended up Buying hp tuners pro. Havnt used it yet but I figured it was the best option for for the future. I can tune it anywhere with a laptop and I can also data log without a laptop. Just a lot of reading to do to teach myself.
When you do get to using it let me know how you like it. My main drawback to sending out was if make changes would have to send out and would be down for few weeks. So would be nice to be able to change yourself but lots a learning with it.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:50 PM   #22
907_Chevy
Registered Member

I have not made very much progress. My wife broke her foot so have been dealing with that. I installed fuel tanks and fuel tank selector valve. I plan to use the stock fuel level sensors. However they use 40ohm empty and 250ohm full resistance and the only fuel gauge I can find that will work with these are a programable autometer that is $140 which sucks. The tanks were a very tight fit. I also made a steering box brace.
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2015, 07:44 AM   #23
ak_petey
Registered Member

ak_petey is on a distinguished road

Holy cow. Im building the mini-me version of this!
Looks good!
Old 11-29-2015, 07:53 AM   #24
907_Chevy
Registered Member

I have been doing a little bit here and little bit there. I stuffed it back in the garage. I have a short garage door so had to put it on rims, flatten rear tires and ratchet strap rear suspension down some then push in with plow. It was really tight fit (rubbing tight).

Once in, I installed the engine and built a new engine cross member. Then worked on building the transfer case shifters. I had to modify the mount after installed tranny. The angle iron on side of the NP205 hit the frame so I cut off about an inch on the top angle.

Installing the tranny was super easy. I installed the tranny and doubler together using an engine lift to pick it up. I pulled the tranny tunnel cover inside the cab and dropped a strap around the back of the tranny. It balanced almost perfect with the torque converter installed.

Now onto building more cross members.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2015, 01:35 PM   #25
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough

I like it, keep it up!