Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:58 PM   #26
907_Chevy
Registered Member

907_Chevy has disabled reputation
Default Re: 85 Crew Cab Chevy Build (Slow!!!)

Thanks Snowbear.

I finished the transmission/doubler cross member. I made the bottom ridged to the frame with bushings mounted near the transfer case. Then at the back made a brace to support the top of the frame. After the cross member was in, I tried to mount the shifters but my bracket sits too high and hits the floor board. I'm going to modify to bring it down a few inches to fit.

I also finished up connecting the fuel lines and bolted on the exhaust manifolds. I had to do a little grinding on the exhaust manifolds and the frame to make them fit.
Attached Images

907_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:04 PM   #27
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

I pulled the SM465 out of the dump truck the same you installed your trans/tcase, unfortunately I'll be doing it again due to the new clutch failure in about 3K mile.

Very nice job on the trans/tcase cradle.

Let me know how you like the TunerPro, after two more "No Shows" for my CJ6 this weekend, I may change my mind about selling. Was going to use MegaSquirt but reconsidered after a lot of research (steep learning curve) and the fact that parts are "not locally available"

Nice build, Good luck!

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:18 AM   #28
907_Chevy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasillashack View Post
I pulled the SM465 out of the dump truck the same you installed your trans/tcase, unfortunately I'll be doing it again due to the new clutch failure in about 3K mile.

Very nice job on the trans/tcase cradle.

Let me know how you like the TunerPro, after two more "No Shows" for my CJ6 this weekend, I may change my mind about selling. Was going to use MegaSquirt but reconsidered after a lot of research (steep learning curve) and the fact that parts are "not locally available"

Nice build, Good luck!
That was first time I have every done it that way. Normally I sit it on my chest and basically bench press it up (tranny then t case) and slide it in with friend guiding. I have tried strapping to jacks but seems really hard to get aligned and never had a tranny jack.
No Shows suck, such a waist of time.
I didn't get the TunerPro, I just had the stock computer reflashed. AKPrice was the one that bought the TunerPro. I would also like to know how he likes it.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:26 PM   #29
Weeder57
Registered Member

Weeder57 has disabled reputation

Where did you get the 205 rear case plate mount? When I go to do my doubler I was going to make a full cradle like yours and mount the tranny crossmember to it too. Want it to be one solid unit.
1997 F250 extended cab
1978 F350 Super cab
1936 Buick
Weeder57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:49 AM   #30
907_Chevy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeder57 View Post
Where did you get the 205 rear case plate mount? When I go to do my doubler I was going to make a full cradle like yours and mount the tranny crossmember to it too. Want it to be one solid unit.
I got mine from DIY4X. There are a few places other places that you can save $10-15 but I was already ordering some stuff from them. There is only one way that the plates bolt up otherwise a few holes are about a half hole off. For some reason it took me forever to find the right orientation for the plate to the t-case.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:07 PM   #31
907_Chevy
Registered Member

I have made some good progress on the truck. I got the rock sliders welded in place. I hate the bench seat that was in the truck so wanted to use the seats from the 2000. The hump made the seat sit too high so I took it out and used tube tied to the rock sliders and floor braces. I got the exhaust welded up and hangers installed. The made a new dash with gauges but still need a fuel gauge that works with my sending units. I used the radiator from the 2000 Chevy so could directly hook up oil cooler lines. I installed dual electric fans from a 2006 Chevy so they fit perfectly to the radiator. They are controlled by the ecm but put in a master kill switch. I made made new lines to the tranny cooler. I used some radiator hose to extend the top of the power steering pump reservoir. I made the mount for the hydro assist and its installed. Fenders installed. New brackets were formed to mount the radiator overflow and ecm on the passenger fender. I make a cable shifter using a push pull cable and made some brackets to use the stock column shifter.

I tried to start it my heart dropped as she just cranked but didn't her fuel pump so after some wire tracing and testing I jumped the wires on the tank selector and she fired right up. Sounded amazing and can't wait to get it outside.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2016, 10:31 PM   #32
wasillashack
Registered Member

Looks like you have you have done your research and a lot of work!

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:16 PM   #33
907_Chevy
Registered Member

Yea, every spare second in college I was reading build threads. For while I wasn't getting much done due to budget and time. I finally decided to push it to front of project list and make it work. I would say lot of my time is just laying under it trying to come up with best placement and building seems to go fast once started.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:41 PM   #34
DRussell
Registered Member

DRussell has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907_Chevy View Post
I would say lot of my time is just laying under it trying to come up with best placement and building seems to go fast once started.
this never changes. 2 hours and a 6 pack later and you will have a good solid plan. then the easy part....build the idea looks good
DRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:15 AM   #35
joe231
Registered Member

joe231 is on a distinguished road

How's this beast coming?

Are you happy with the service and results from wait for me performance?

Chevy Only
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:16 AM   #36
907_Chevy
Registered Member

It was going good put lots of time into it to be ready for the meet and great. I built flatbed, got tool box on, bumpers, winch, tail lights, seats, drive lines, bled the brakes. I have it running was going for short ride on the side of road. I got stuck in hole and had to get a pull. Had family member pull me out, he was on the pavement with long rope. He skipped trying it easy and took off hard, in the process it separated my front driveline and cammed over my shackle bending my front leaf spring. Pulled driveline and drove it back home. After several days of searching I found the same 56" springs in junk yard, pulled them and threw them on the buggy. They looked good and had nice arch on the Suburban I pulled them from but when I put them on the buggy the springs were nearly flat. Now I'm brainstorming what route to go.

The front drive line separated because my quick temporary limiter strap snapped when being pulled so hard. When came out it messed up end of the splines but with a little filing, the yoke slipped back on. I was using stock slip and spline which limited the travel so I decided to build square tube driveline. Made some new limiter straps few other odds and ends. I had planned to make bump stops so did not negative bend the spings but since they were almost flat and going to change anyway didn't waste my time. Took to the meet and great.

I was pretty happy how it ran the course. I ran it pretty hard, thinking it was good place to break something if I was going to. I was bouncing pretty good to get up the concert step hill so springs are a little flater lol. Then Sunday went for ride out zero lake and first mud hole lost my power steering. Changed the power steering pump as the shaft was snapped and the great guys I was with had a spare. Put it in and still no power steering or brake boost, I'm thinking the hydro boost is bad. Hopefully will mess with it tonight. So we finished hanging out and left with arm strong steering. Was short trip and didn't expect that to go but was fun.

I will get some pictures up later.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:00 PM   #37
DRussell
Registered Member

Please do post up some pics. I didn't take a single one all day. A little busy getting stuck myself I suppose we had fun. I'll wheel with ya any day but don't count on me to have extra Chevy parts, that's Lee's department
Old 06-20-2016, 07:08 PM   #38
907_Chevy
Registered Member

I only got one of you stuck lol.
Lots of pictures and few links to videos.
https://youtu.be/hQzZdAl9-vE
https://youtu.be/Nnd8EIXtNA4
https://youtu.be/0oTqFyCkw8w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHg7e-RIRB0
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2016, 01:21 AM   #39
wasillashack
Registered Member

I missed M&G this year, first time in 6 years. I would like to have seen your truck. Nice work on the dash, BTW. I plan on something similar in my CJ6, have 6 SW 2-5/8" gauges plus a speedo and tach. I'll bet you like that LS engine.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:11 AM   #40
907_Chevy
Registered Member

This was the first time I got to run it and was blast! I still have few gauges would like to get and fill in the space. I'm loving the 6.0 has been running great and has good power *knock on wood*.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:19 AM   #41
907_Chevy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
How's this beast coming?

Are you happy with the service and results from wait for me performance?
Yes I am happy. I told them to tune for the most hp out of stock motor and seems to run great. The deleted all the emission crap, cats, second O2 sensors, and set up for dual electric fans. I originally was going to rewire harness myself but decided to have them do it as I was trying to get it done and did not want to spend days sorting wires. They send it back all wired up and labeled was basically a plug and play deal.

They said will re-tune for free with any upgrades so will have to wait to see how that goes.... Only thing I don't like about that is the truck will be down while computer is in mail.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:49 PM   #42
907_Chevy
Registered Member

Figured I should update this.
I picked up some studded semi truck tire chains so I split them and put a new side chain on the second half making a full set. I loaded it up with wife and dog to head out to Zero Lake. Was just going to take it nice and easy. I made it past the first few holes with no problem and could tell chains made huge difference. I got to point where should have turned around but ignored by better judgement went for it. I buried it, like I expected, then started to winch with snatch block. I was stopping and giving it breaks but never cleaned the mud from around winch so after it died I dug to it and as super hot. At this point I was screwed so called friend he came out and tried to pull me out backwards. We burnt his winch up and broke a snatch block when using two. So we called another Friend. We first tried His pto winch with the other buggy as an anchor. It pulled both them two feet and I didn't budge. We snatched the A-frame boom with 12k winch and pull back up till stalled. Then I was able to dig down to axle to hooked an 8k winch snatched blocked. After working both winches, digging and tugging with other buggy it finally came out.

When pulling up on the frame the suction held the axle down so much that my rear u joint started to bind. It held all way out and I didn't even notice till I washed it. Also coming out I was on it pretty hard with no bump stops the front driveline put dent in the exhaust pipe. The extra side chain broke loose and broke a brake line. Mud was packed everywhere!! Overall I think my quick trip turned into an 15 hour event. opps

I did not like how the 56" springs set so flat so I got some stock 47" 6" lift springs for the moment. I plan to go up to some 52" lift springs. So I redid the crossmember and the front spring hanger in the front. I used square tube and cut one side off so I had channel. I thought this way I can run anything from 47" to 56" springs. I do not like the shackle angle but I have already pushed the front mount back past the stock.

The best part of being stuck that long with wife is she said to get the tires you need to not let this happen lol... I got good deal on some new 14.9X24 ~~about 49" tall ags. I picked up the blanks, centers, and make some valve stem protectors and got everything welded together. I started to clean one wheel up and gave up. I think I'm going to see if I can rent a sand blaster or see how much will be to have them done by advanced powder coating. I talked to them about doing powder coating but was trying to save some money after dropping the coin on everything else.

Here some pictures!!
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2016, 11:18 PM   #43
JRNWasilla
Registered Member

JRNWasilla is on a distinguished road

Nice job on the wheels! I was in the same boat and ended up having advanced blast and powder coat my wheels. If I remember right it was just over $400 for my 24x16's. They did an awesome job and had them done in a few days.
JRNWasilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:51 AM   #44
907_Chevy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRNWasilla View Post
Nice job on the wheels! I was in the same boat and ended up having advanced blast and powder coat my wheels. If I remember right it was just over $400 for my 24x16's. They did an awesome job and had them done in a few days.
I talked to them and they said $115 per wheel unless they become difficult then looking at $140 each. Which is not that bad.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:06 PM   #45
DRussell
Registered Member

Something I have been told a few times when building wheels, you want some holes in the center if you can. Allows water to pass through and doesn't act like a wall when crossing rivers. I have a nice plasma cutter if you want to cut some stuff out by hand. Figured I would throw it out there
Old 09-05-2016, 01:55 PM   #46
907_Chevy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRussell View Post
Something I have been told a few times when building wheels, you want some holes in the center if you can. Allows water to pass through and doesn't act like a wall when crossing rivers. I have a nice plasma cutter if you want to cut some stuff out by hand. Figured I would throw it out there
That makes sense I was thinking about cutting a pattern before welded them but was only considering looks. If you wouldn't mind me using your plasma cutting that would make it way easier. Let me know when you might have some time. Thanks! You should have my number in a pm.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:54 AM   #47
joe231
Registered Member

Did you get your wheels blasted yet?
I recently picked up a small blast cabinet, those might fit in it...

Are you keeping your chains? I need to find some for my rig...

Chevy Only
Old 09-29-2016, 07:29 PM   #48
907_Chevy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
Did you get your wheels blasted yet?
I recently picked up a small blast cabinet, those might fit in it...

Are you keeping your chains? I need to find some for my rig...
Yea, I dropped them off earlier this week to get blasted and coated. Thanks for the offer. I will probably keep the chains, but will let you know if I decide to sell.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:52 PM   #49
joe231
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907_Chevy View Post
Yea, I dropped them off earlier this week to get blasted and coated. Thanks for the offer. I will probably keep the chains, but will let you know if I decide to sell.
Ok
Thanks!

Chevy Only
Old 10-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #50
907_Chevy
Registered Member

Cut the holes in the rims. Not the best but have holes now and back from powder coating. They suggested a hammered black. They look great but only complaint is I cannot thread on the caps to the valve stem protectors, seem to want to cross thread. They did not paint the threads but maybe the sand blaster messed up.
The picture shows the difference in tire size (the 38 in back is pretty low pressure tho)
Need some fender trimming but better than I thought would be.
Attached Images