Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:51 PM   #101
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough
Default Re: TV Build

Cutting fender openings

Lesson learned, the guide plate will hang up on ****. Raise it up to avoid that

Making more door jambs

Old 04-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #102
snowbear

Then start fitting, the strong back is to flatten the warpage in the bed frame. The main stringers also warped and there is a 1/2" spacer under the middle and home made u-bolts pulling down on the front.

then fit and tack the fender well

Last edited by snowbear; 04-22-2017 at 08:25 PM.
snowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:14 AM   #103
broncoformudv
Registered Member

broncoformudv is on a distinguished road

That bed is looking real nice Scott! I like all of the details you have put into it.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:27 PM   #104
snowbear

Some days I wonder if it's ever gonna end. I've got other projects that I have get going

The under bed boxes are finally fit and welded. Can't forget I still need to make doors

Custom fit like this was not the plan and welding these out was a major pain. A great reminder that being a good welder means being able to weld off-hand in all kinds of cramped positions. I'm not that good of a welder.... These were going to be just simple boxes but I needed fender support and it didn't make sense to waste the 6" to the front.

On to the rear of the fender. The gusset angles downward so that it doesn't collect stuff and the speed holes save some weight

This little bit of trim was a no brainer

This was a pain. I tried a couple different ideas. This was the best. I'm not super excited about it but oh well.

I'll try to get the other side fit up tomorrow. Then maybe, just maybe weld out all the rest of the lower part. I still want to fit in at least one receiver tube into a side somewhere (there are four in the bed itself for tool holders). Unfortunately with the bigger side boxes that one's gonna be inside them. That means the box is no longer sealed and that sux. I'm thinking maybe a dummy plug with weatherstripping to keep from leaving the hole wide open.

Last edited by snowbear; 04-27-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:28 PM   #105
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Our dump truck has an under bed toolbox. In winter/dark times I wish I had put interior lights in it, it could easily be either manually switched or a door jam switch utilized to control the light. Just a thought. Good luck!

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:34 PM   #106
snowbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasillashack View Post
Our dump truck has an under bed toolbox. In winter/dark times I wish I had put interior lights in it, it could easily be either manually switched or a door jam switch utilized to control the light. Just a thought. Good luck!
thanx, I was planning lights for the front boxes but hadn't thot about putting them in the under bed boxes. Something else to add to the scope of work
Old 05-02-2017, 08:58 PM   #107
snowbear

hmmm, rub rails or no rub rails....

just partially tacked on

vs nice slick look

I guess they are not really rub rails but are stake pockets and tie down rail

Last edited by snowbear; 05-02-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:39 AM   #108
JRNWasilla
Registered Member

JRNWasilla is on a distinguished road

Looking great Scott! I would say keep the rub rails and extend them around onto the angled part of the bed front and back. Purely functional, you can never have enough tiedown options!
JRNWasilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:04 AM   #109
murphyslaw
Registered Member

murphyslaw is on a distinguished road

I agree with JR. Keep the pockets/rails and wrap them around the back. as long as they dont interfere with the receiver spots.

We carry guns here, act accordingly.
when in doubt, part it out.

murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:58 AM   #110
snowbear

thanx guys. I'm having a hard time with the look and you like more! It really disrupts the clean lines of the bed.

I've also got a box of 1/2" d-rings and plan to place a few or ten on there somewhere cause Kyle is right, you can't ever have enough tie downs!

I'll tack a piece of rail up on the rear angled section to see how it looks. I'm planning a mini headboard, a couple inches tall, for the front and wrap it around those corners. Like much of this I'm not sure how that'll turn out. I'd prefer about 6" tall but then It will require some trim, like 1" square tube, to keep it straight.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:23 PM   #111
murphyslaw
Registered Member

murphyslaw is on a distinguished road

Hows it going? I know you had to work on the other truck for a few days. But you gotta get this wrapped up and on the road.

We carry guns here, act accordingly.
when in doubt, part it out.

murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:34 AM   #112
snowbear

It's close. I am trying to strip the mill scale at home rather than take it to the sand blaster. I experimented with a mix to hold it on a vertical surface. It worked great on my test piece. When I tried the box yesterday the sun baked the acid off before it could do it's work.

I started on the backhoe while stripping the mill scale. The engine is mostly together and should be setting it back in the frame today.

Yeah I put a rearend in the f350. It's back on the road but I need to swap the parking brake cables. apparently they are different

I did put on a rub rail/stake pockets on the flatbed and see I didn't post a pic I still need to make doors for the bed boxes.

Last edited by snowbear; 05-11-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:31 PM   #113
snowbear

One step forward and fifty back. I got the bed and box back from blasting and painting. The quality of the work is mediocre at best. I figured I can live with it cause I just want this thing done!

I wired up the trailer connector and drove out to test it on the trailer. Wiring is fine. The engine is not. It is making a nasty noise in the passenger side that was not there last time I ran it. Also have oil leaking out the bottom rear somewhere. Figure oil pan or rear main. Given the noise it's making I am not very optimistic I can put it to work this year and that's bad is so many ways.

On the plus side I built a front bumper and side rails/steps. The fab work is done. Sadly it may never leave the yard. Can ya tell I'm bummed?

Last edited by snowbear; 06-11-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:40 PM   #114
scout
Registered Member

scout is on a distinguished road

If it wasn't run for long after you put it back together and than it sat again it might just need to build oil pressure. But without hearing the noise I couldn't tell you for sure.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:44 PM   #115
snowbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
If it wasn't run for long after you put it back together and than it sat again it might just need to build oil pressure. But without hearing the noise I couldn't tell you for sure.
Yeah, it hasn't been run long but it gets moved about once a week or so. Pull it out move things around and move it in. Last time was to bring the buggy in a couple weeks ago. Then when I started it to go test the lights sunday it was making the noise. I always let it get warm but never builds any real heat. I've done some google mechanican and wonder if it could be an injector knock? Could you swing by on the way home one day and listen?
Old 06-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #116
snowbear

Still plugging away....

yes those are OBS tow hooks

Last edited by snowbear; 06-19-2017 at 07:15 PM.