Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #1
broncoformudv
Registered Member

broncoformudv is on a distinguished road
Default 1992 Ford Ranger Mud Racer Build

I know there are not many on here that are into mud racing but I figured I would go ahead and throw this on here for something different to look at.

My kids ran my Bronco in the mud races in 2014 and had a blast despite it being setup for hunting and trail running and it also being the first time they had driven a stick. So being the little kid that I am I told them we would build a race truck.

Managed to find a non rusted 1992 2wd extended cab Ranger on Fairbanks for basically nothing. It had the 2.3 but no transmission, which was fine by me since it was all getting chucked anyways.

The build plan was a mild 302, C6 with high stall convertor, NP205, full width dana 44 and Ford 9", move the front axle forward, put the radiator, fuel cell and battery in the bed.

First order of business was stripping the entire and engine compartment.

Last edited by broncoformudv; 01-04-2017 at 11:39 AM.
broncoformudv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
broncoformudv
Registered Member

Default Re: 1992 Ford Ranger Mud Racer Build

Next we pulled the engine.

Then it was time to clean the interior and engine compartment.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
broncoformudv
Registered Member

Started working on the engine. I had some old pistons leftover from my racing days so we built around those. Then picked up a used roller cam, set of GT40 heads, Stealth intake, larger oil pan and truck pull style headers.

Did some oil passage cleanup to help improve the oil feed and return on the block.

Last edited by broncoformudv; 01-04-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
broncoformudv
Registered Member

Did a little fender trimming so we could keep it as low as possible.

Started working on the front axle. Had a full width dana 44 high pinion and stripped it down. Installed new seals, bearings, 4.88 gears, set of Yukon shafts and u-joints and drive slugs. The outer shafts were for a F250 dana 44 with external hubs so they had to be cut down. Took a bit to cut through them but they came out good. Then I cut a new snap ring groove and painted them and the axle housing with POR15.

Last edited by broncoformudv; 01-04-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:06 AM   #5
broncoformudv
Registered Member

Started the solid axle swap. I wanted to push the front axle forward to help with weight distribution but was limited by the steering box since it wasn't in the budget to go full hydro or rack and pinion.

While it was on the rack we took the air chisel and torch to everything extra and unwanted. Made quick work of that crap. Fuel tank, spare tire carrier, heat shields, exhaust and whatever else we could find for thrown in the scrap bin.

Steering box mount moved forward.

Last edited by broncoformudv; 01-04-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #6
broncoformudv
Registered Member

Started working on the rear axle. Full width Ford 9" stripped it down, installed new bearings and seals, 5.13 gears and an auburn l/s. Yeah yeah yeah that was all I had and I didn't have a spare diff to weld up at that point.

The rear axle install was a direct bolt in once I moved the spring perches. I also swapped the leafs out for a set from an Explorer.

Last edited by broncoformudv; 01-04-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:26 AM   #7
broncoformudv
Registered Member

Built a C6, added clutches, servo, custom convertor, shift kit, locking dipstick and larger pan.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
broncoformudv
Registered Member

Next we installed the engine, then trans then Tcase. I used motor mounts from a mustang convertible with a 5.0.

A manual fuel pump even clears the steering box since we moved that forward.

Managed to use the factory transmission mount with a custom crossmember. The front driveshaft is very close to everything but it clears.

On the tcase I used a factory Ford mount and it fit well. We were also able to use the factory tcase shifter and it liked right up in the tunnel opening.

Last edited by broncoformudv; 01-04-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:37 AM   #9
broncoformudv
Registered Member

In between things I was working on building the electrical system and misc stuff. Seats, blocking off any holes, bumpers, fender lips etc.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #10
broncoformudv
Registered Member

Had to make driveshafts. That rear one is way long!
Old 01-04-2017, 12:17 PM   #11
broncoformudv
Registered Member

Blocked the motor off from mud and water.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #12
broncoformudv
Registered Member

We were trying to have it finished in time for the last race of 2015 but at 0400 the morning of the race we were still working on it. We loaded it on the trailer and took it for a test run and blew the remote oil cooler hose. At that point we threw the towel in and just went to Delta and watched everyone else race.

Once we got back and had new oil lines made we took it out for a test run and then let the kids do burnouts till a tire blew.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #13
broncoformudv
Registered Member

It sat over the winter then we pulled it out come summer 2016 and put on some 38x11x15 Boggers up front and a worn out set of 38x15x16 Boggers in the rear. We had it running good so headed to the races. Got there and when I went to unload it it ofcourse didn't run right. Couldn't pin point the issue but it wasn't revving up. Seemed like a fuel issue. Madison raced it anyways and despite it running like crap placed in the middle of her class.

Came home and found a bunch of water in the fuel so swapped that out and upgraded carbs while we were at it. Went from an edelbrock 625 to a Holley 650 dp.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #14
broncoformudv
Registered Member

Did some minor tweaking to it and then went to the last race in Delta. It was running good once again so Madison drove it in the parade. It died at the end of the parade then fired back up 😐

When she went to start it to take it into the pits it wouldn't start. It had lost spark. After some diagnosis it was discovered that the ignition module had gone out. Go figure it was a Mallory and nobody in Delta had a spare and I didn't bring one either. So people started making phone calls and Bobby found one in North Pole and said he would grab it for me since he had to go get another carb for his truck anyways. While he was gone Adam dug up a points distributor and brought that to me so we installed that and got it running again. It was midnight or so at that point so we went to sleep. Bobby ended up showing up with the module and it was the correct style but I decided to leave the points in there since it was running.

So Madison missed the first day of racing but was set to go for the final day. They do 4 passes each day and combine all 8 passes for the lowest total time.

She kicked butt on day two!

Old 01-04-2017, 03:21 PM   #15
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Nice job on the Ranger. Nice working on a clean rust free truck, isn't it?
After years of diesel Fords on the slope, we received some gas Fords, they tended to short out the front mounted distributors after busting through snow drifts, they would lose power and sometimes die, but usually started again. We made a horseshoe shaped sheet metal shield that was riveted to the air cleaner, it shielded the distributor from any moisture drawn in by the fan, seemed to work. A large tin can would probably work as well.

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:47 PM   #16
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough

where's the LIKE button???

Looks like a lotta fun!
Old 01-04-2017, 07:55 PM   #17
broncoformudv
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasillashack View Post
Nice job on the Ranger. Nice working on a clean rust free truck, isn't it?
After years of diesel Fords on the slope, we received some gas Fords, they tended to short out the front mounted distributors after busting through snow drifts, they would lose power and sometimes die, but usually started again. We made a horseshoe shaped sheet metal shield that was riveted to the air cleaner, it shielded the distributor from any moisture drawn in by the fan, seemed to work. A large tin can would probably work as well.
Yeah I don't like working on rusted vehicles. I know a lot of people don't understand starting a off-road build with a clean truck but to me it's so worth it.

That's a good idea with the water shield. The 1980's-1990's Fox body Mustangs came with a rubber boot around the distributor cap to keep the water out. Never understood why Ford didn't put them on the F series trucks?
Old 01-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #18
broncoformudv
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbear View Post
where's the LIKE button???

Looks like a lotta fun!
Thanks Scott! Hopefully next season involves more racing and less problems.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:44 AM   #19
AKPrice
Registered Member

AKPrice is on a distinguished road

Man thats pretty cool. Never went to the races but now I wish I would have. How do the classes work? This might be right up my jeeps ally.
1994 2wd f-150 soon to get a healthy bbf swap
1986 foxbody that I doubt ill get to
AKPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:28 PM   #20
broncoformudv
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPrice View Post
Man thats pretty cool. Never went to the races but now I wish I would have. How do the classes work? This might be right up my jeeps ally.
These are the rules in Delta Junction as ran by Interior Racing Association at the Delta Fairgrounds, North Poles rules are very similar if not exactly like these. The races in North Pole are at the North Pole Speedway and ran by Tubbys Alaskan Mud Bogs.

Classes are by engine size and power adders.
Classes 1-3 must be single carburetor, naturally aspirated, DOT non cut tires only.

Class 1 is 4-6 cylinder engines
Class 2 is V8's up to 370 CI
Class 3 is V8's 371 CI and larger
Class 4 any engine with any modifcation or power adder, cut tires, paddles, tractor tires etc allowed. Only thing not allowed is Nitro Methane.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:46 AM   #21
AKPrice
Registered Member

AKPrice is on a distinguished road

Is there any videos showing it? Is the class 4 have many trucks? I could do the class 2 I think but Id have to find some different tires. Is the willow rules basically the same as well?
1994 2wd f-150 soon to get a healthy bbf swap
1986 foxbody that I doubt ill get to
AKPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:34 PM   #22
broncoformudv
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPrice View Post
Is there any videos showing it? Is the class 4 have many trucks? I could do the class 2 I think but Id have to find some different tires. Is the willow rules basically the same as well?
Sorry I didn't see your post before now. Class 2 has the most competitors. Class 4 has a good number some races. Class 3 has the least number of competitors and would be the easiest to build a truck that would place in the top 3.

https://youtu.be/rc7-5PnAOEk

https://youtu.be/wPNjIYzOcAI

Here are a couple of the class 4 trucks

https://youtu.be/f_NjD01RQUQ