Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Special Interest > Grant-o-vations

Grant-o-vations Building something crazy? Trying something totally out of the box? Post it here. Lets see what all those wacky minds are doing out there. These posts should be somewhat technical in nature, but dont necessarily have to be 4x4 related.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
B1
Registered Member

B1 will become famous soon enough
Default DIY Forge.

Built this with some bits and pieces laying around. Dollars spent with this endeavor have been under 50 bucks (fittings and such).

It heats the steel pretty well.

There's actually alot to learn about the different compositions of steel, and their heating characteristics. I think its kinda neat.

I plan on making a few knives, and maybe some ornamental stuff.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
Gvus
Registered Member

Gvus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DIY Forge.

Sweet
Old 01-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
NewbieFJ60
Registered Member

NewbieFJ60 is on a distinguished road

come on explain how you made it and what gave you the idea ?

I saw one where a guy used coals and and old truck rim welded up and put a small induction motor on the bottom .. reminds me of a certain M&G a few years ago with a fire , a foot pump and lots of flammables .... but good looking job on that for sure
NewbieFJ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
B1
Registered Member

Ok here's the gist.

Obviously, the outer shell is an old 10 gallon air tank I had lying around. I cut the end off, and tried to make a small doorway right in the middle. The doorway was cut out, (but not in the middle lol). On the inside, there is a 10" double wall stovepipe from a renovation earlier this year. On the inside of that is a product called KAO wool. Its an inch thick, and has a very high heat rating. Its basically the same stuff that furnaces are lined with.
To top it off, there are a couple fire bricks to put the steel on.
The real magic happened at the source of flame.
I wanted to use propane as the fuel, so I googled propane burners and found that a guy in the lower 48 had been making atmospheric burners for forges. I modeled my burner after his. (zoeller forge)
The tip is stainless steel, and to keep it centered, I drilled and tapped some holes in it for some 1/4 x 20 set screws. The burner bone is connected to the 1" pipe bone, which is threaded into a 'Wards' reducing tee. Dims on the tee are 1"x1 1/4" 1 1/4".
Inside the tee is a pipe cap which I threaded the same as the ss tip. The tricky part was getting the 1/8" sch80 nipple centered in the pipe plug. The nipple was threaded to accept a .30 welding tip. The welding tip is the 'jet' for the propane.
From there, I just did some plumbing, and shazaam! Got me a hot box! I have the propane regulated to a max of 12 psi, and hardly ever take it that high when running. Usually only on start up. For general forging, I usually pull 5 or so psi.

I havn't been able to get a good reading on the temp inside, but judging by the color of the steel, (bright yellow) I think it is between 17 and 1800 degrees.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:26 PM   #5
Gvus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieFJ60 View Post
.. reminds me of a certain M&G a few years ago with a fire , a foot pump and lots of flammables
Old 01-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #6
murphyslaw
Registered Member

murphyslaw is on a distinguished road

This little baby works good.

Jed and I made some cool nails, and stuff.

We carry guns here, act accordingly.
when in doubt, part it out.

murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:48 AM   #7
B1
Registered Member

On one 20lb tank, I can usually get about 12 hours worth of heat. I think I can make it more efficient and stretch that a little bit though. According to zoeller, one of his burners is perfect for about 350 sq in of interior forge space.

What I have is about four times that amount.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
billythedeadboy
Registered Member

billythedeadboy is on a distinguished road

What sort of temperature range can you get with this setup?
'91 3500 dually (For Sale)
'05 Astro (DD)

Looking for 60-63 chevy/gmc truck parts
billythedeadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
B1
Registered Member

If I had to guess, its roughly 17-1800.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
B1
Registered Member

Here are a couple knives I have made so far.

Splicing knife, made from an old file.

One for my dad. Made from a piece of coil spring, and handles are from an old pair of carharts impregnated with fiberglass resin.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:29 PM   #11
Gvus
Registered Member

Dude that turned out sweet.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
B1
Registered Member

Thanks! Once I get good enough, I may even start selling.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:37 PM   #13
ODDBALL
GRIND MASTER!

ODDBALL is on a distinguished road

Looks good!
Old 03-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #14
bgreen776
I'm on Team People

bgreen776 will become famous soon enoughbgreen776 will become famous soon enough

Thats awesome! Maybe thats what I'll do with my ammonia tank.

Edit: How did I miss this!?

Last edited by bgreen776; 03-04-2011 at 04:18 PM.
bgreen776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #15
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

B1
An excellent source of info is a book called Machinerys' Handbook, if you don't have it already. Lots of info about Heat treating/annealing metals and tons of other mechanical useful info. About $70 new, used copies a little cheaper, springs and files are both good sources for knife blade blanks, files usually need to be annealed first. Transformer oil is good for heat treating and quenching, it leaves very little scale. Transformers made before 1979 contain Poly Chlorinated Biphenyls (PCB's) known carcinogen, most of them are out of service now, A big electric motor repair shop (United or Hayden) may have transformer oil or be able to get it for you. I have a broken spring piece with eye, about 3/8" thick ~ 2" wide, 12-14" long, its' yours if you want it, I'd rather give it to someone rather than throw it away You probably know all this already, Just thought I'd share. Nice work on the forge and knives, by the way, Shack
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #16
murphyslaw
Registered Member

murphyslaw is on a distinguished road

A bucket of diesel/motor oil and hydro fluid "blue" metal nicely. Just gotta be careful it's not too hot.

We carry guns here, act accordingly.
when in doubt, part it out.

murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #17
B1
Registered Member

I've already singed my arm hairs off with the receiver. lol

Next time I'm out that way I'll give you a call Shack. I didn't know about the transformer oil. Good info. We just so happen to have a couple drums at work that are ready for disposal. I'll have to snag some here shortly.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:54 PM   #18
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Don't know if used oil, if thats what you have, will work. It may have contaminants, carbon or water in it, which could affect the outcome. If you have transformer oil, do you have a filter press? That should remove any thing.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:23 AM   #19
CopperTopToy
Registered Member

CopperTopToy is on a distinguished road

i have some old toyota springs if you want them.

Eric

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

80' Toyota Loonnggbed 80% stock and improving all the time
8274 Warn on CowCatcher bumper. New rear car smasher
CopperTopToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:15 AM   #20
stjjames
Registered Member

stjjames has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
One for my dad. Made from a piece of coil spring, and handles are from an old pair of carharts impregnated with fiberglass resin.

Haha!
Cool !
stjjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #21
c4ck4
Registered Member

c4ck4 has disabled reputation

@B1 - I know this thread is a bit old, but I thought I'd add here if others read this. It's a good idea to keep the Kao-wool "glued" down with some kind of refractory slurry for safety's sake. Kao-wool is basically like pink fiberglass insulation but made of ceramic material instead of glass. With the amount of airflow coming through some of these forges the particles can get airborn and are not good to breath at all. A simple slurry of clay of some kind or "Satanite" will help protect against that risk. At the very least be careful of scraping at the sides and back with the piece of metal that you are working with.
c4ck4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:11 AM   #22
B1
Registered Member

Thats good advice. I never knew! I have since changed the forge around a bit. The box is all brick, and the kaowool will be used in the foundry. I will definately be spreading some refractory on that stuff in the future.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:56 AM   #23
c4ck4
Registered Member

c4ck4 has disabled reputation

Satanite is much cheaper, but if you want to go all out or reach higher temperatures a surface coating of ITC 100 does a great job. It helps reflect radiant heat and will up the heat retention performance of kaowool. On the lower end (cheaper) some fire clay mixed up will do the job.

I don't know how professional you want to be about this foundry stuff or how much money you want to throw at it, but if you're not buying professional crucibles you can also use ITC 213 coating to coat a steel pipe crucible. It will help keep the steel from oxidizing too quickly and its designed for contact with molten metal. Melting in a steel crucible will dissolve some of the elements of the steel and your resulting alloy will be somewhat of a mystery.

I'm no pro at this but I've melted/oxidized/dissolved through at least one or two steel crucibles while melting aluminum.

I'm not associated with this website at all but here is a place you can read about what the various ITC products do. You may find it cheaper elsewhere.

http://www.budgetcastingsupply.com/ITC.php
c4ck4 is offline   Reply With Quote