Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Special Interest > Grant-o-vations

Grant-o-vations Building something crazy? Trying something totally out of the box? Post it here. Lets see what all those wacky minds are doing out there. These posts should be somewhat technical in nature, but dont necessarily have to be 4x4 related.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #26
Rdrash
Registered Member

Rdrash is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Built your own tracked vehicle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWiXIoINcb0

Looking at a different one online, small kinda slow. The builder used a chain drive from the rear engine driving front sprockets. The chain from the rear drove another gear drive unit in the front center from this gear a shaft went to each side where a friction belt drive was placed on each side the out put of the belt drives drove each sprocket. When you would push forward on the steering / drive bars tension would be applied to the belts and the machine would move forward, lighten up on one side and that belt would slip causing the rig to turn lighten up enough and it would turn just like a zero degree lawnmower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrWx8...eature=related

bump up to the three minute mark, ITS WORTH IT make sure you watch it through the end

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

ďA liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the momentĒ

Last edited by Rdrash; 01-01-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Rdrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #27
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Sounds like a plan!
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #28
rednektanker
Registered Member

rednektanker is on a distinguished road

it does indeed, i even have the white out over parka and paints the Army uses up here. btw nice vids, that little go kart looking buggy with the space saver flats was what i had in mind for a basis
rednektanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:41 AM   #29
Dr. Destructo'
Bilge rat

Dr. Destructo' is on a distinguished road

I've got an old honda 250 2wd wheeler, runs real good, but the breaks are shot. I was thinking of using snowmachine track on each side, driven by stock drivers up front. I have a PUG transmission with differential I would use to drive the tracks and use the brake on either side to turn.

PUG tranny has 2.? gear reduction, forward/n/reverse, and 7in drum brakes on each side. Has 5x4.5 bolt pattern too, so I could fab disk brakes with jeep parts.

Wheeler is shaft drive with reverse, so I would run one chain from rear hub to up front where the transmission would be mounted.

I just need to find two identical tracks and some junk skids.

I have big swamp to cross to cabin, and lots of snow there in winter. I would think it could drag a sled good too.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #30
akzeeterman
Registered Member

akzeeterman is on a distinguished road

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z41An...eature=related big dodge on custom track lol
akzeeterman is offline   Reply With Quote