Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Trails/Locations/Land > Land Use

Land Use Trail Legislation, Land Closures, and general Trail Concerns will be posted in here.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
Overdriven
Registered Member

Overdriven is on a distinguished road
Default Denali State Park Trail Management Plan

Denali State Park Trail Management Plan Website:
http://www.dnr.alaska.gov/parks/plan...enalitrail.htm

Greetings,

The Alaska Department of Natural Resources (DNR), Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation (DPOR), has initiated a planning process to create Denali State Park’s first Trail Management Plan.

The Alaska State Legislature created Denali State Park in 1970. The park encompasses about 324,270 acres, the majority of which is undeveloped. The most recent management plan for the park was finalized in 2006 and provides overall guidance for management of park lands and development of recreational facilities, consistent with the park’s Mission Statement and applicable state laws and regulations.

The Denali State Park Trail Management Plan will set forth trail management guidelines and make recommendations for trail development in the park consistent with the park’s management plan and the Division of Parks’ Trail Management Policy. Developing a trail management plan for Denali State Park will be challenging because not all desired trail opportunities are compatible in the same place at the same time. The planning process will seek alternatives with the greatest benefits for all Alaskans. Your ideas are essential to insure that future actions present a shared vision for the Denali State Park trail system.

You are invited to become part of this planning effort by assisting us now in identifying the range of issues that should be addressed in the Denali State Park Trail Management Plan. Later we will ask for your help in reviewing and commenting on draft documents. Open houses will be held from 7-9 PM on the dates and at the locations listed below.

Talkeetna/Trapper Creek area November 3 Su Valley Jr/Sr High School
Wasilla November 4 Public Safety Building 61
Corner of Lucille St. and Swanson Ave.
Anchorage November 5 Campbell Creek Science Center

At these open houses, state park staff will be available to listen to your thoughts and ideas, answer questions and discuss issues. There will be no formal presentation; you may attend the open house anytime between 7PM and 9PM.

In addition to these open houses we will be conferring with involved groups and individuals via phone call, teleconference or in-person meetings. If you know of an individual, group or community organization who would be interested in arranging a meeting about the plan, please contact us.

Your written ideas and comments are encouraged during this initial scoping stage and should be submitted no later than December 15, 2009 by mail, email or fax. Although there will be several “official” periods when public comments are sought, please feel free to contact us at anytime regarding this planning process.

Contact can be made in several ways:
Phone (907) 269-8696
Fax (907) 269-8907
Email claire.leclair@alaska.gov
Mail Denali State Park Trail Management Plan
550 West 7th Ave, Suite 1380
Anchorage, Alaska 99501-3561

We will provide periodic updates via the following internet address as the plan process continues:

http://www.dnr.alaska.gov/parks/plan...enalitrail.htm
If you prefer to be taken off the mailing list for this project, please let us know.
Sincerely,
Claire Holland LeClair
Project Leader
Denali State Park Trail Management Plan
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
Overdriven
Registered Member

Default Re: Denali State Park Trail Management Plan

Dave sent this to me and I thought I'd post it up. If anyone could make to any of these "Open House" events and let us know what the intentions are. I'm hoping against hope that some type of OHV trails are being considered for Denali State Park. I may go to the Meeting in Anchorage if I can work it with that nights plans.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
Fartknocker
Registered Member

Fartknocker is on a distinguished road

I hope to try and make the valley one, if I can get the kids out of the pool in time. Be interesting to hear what their plans are for trails. The way it reads is hiking and snow machines only.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
chris112lee
Registered Member

chris112lee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fartknocker View Post
I hope to try and make the valley one, if I can get the kids out of the pool in time. Be interesting to hear what their plans are for trails. The way it reads is hiking and snow machines only.
I'll go to that one too if you think you can make it.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
deepmud

deepmud is on a distinguished road

http://www.travelalaska.com/regions/...aspx?ParkID=17
Snowmobiles and other off-road vehicles are permitted in the park only when the snow is deep enough to protect vegetation, usually above 16 inches.

Maybe if you put tracks on.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #6
ODDBALL
GRIND MASTER!

ODDBALL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepmud View Post
http://www.travelalaska.com/regions/...aspx?ParkID=17
Snowmobiles and other off-road vehicles are permitted in the park only when the snow is deep enough to protect vegetation, usually above 16 inches.

Maybe if you put tracks on.
I think some parts of the park are open to off-road rigs "by permit" only. IIRC a guy who has a cabin just within the park gets a permit to bring his truck in on some trail. I will need to make a call to get more info. Will try to do that today & post up. Also there is a outfit that is doing tours by jeep up that way. I think a member here worked summers as a driver for them.

Last edited by ODDBALL; 11-04-2009 at 10:42 AM.
ODDBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
Overdriven
Registered Member

If anyone makes it to the meeting tonight, post up what you find. I may go tomorrow instead of our club meeting if it's worth the time.