Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > General Chit-Chat

General Chit-Chat Please keep this CLEAN, and FAMILY ORIENTED.

Old 10-22-2003, 09:32 AM   #1
Taz
Gruff

Taz is on a distinguished road

I don't know when these were written

About our trails

More

01 TJ, 7" RELA, Onboard air compressor, 36 IROK radials, Dual batteries, Warn 9000 winch/in cab remote, ARB front and rear.

Alaska Extreme Fourwheelers
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 10:34 AM   #2
Yourkidding
Registered Member

Yourkidding Default Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (aktazz @ Oct. 22 2003,10:32)]
FWIW, The document that you linked to is from the folks who are behind the so called "Chickaloon Nation". In their minds they hold ownership of all the land from Fairbanks to Homer (specifically claimed this to the Anchorage Daily News a few years ago). We are all just invaders who have usurped their rights.
With that in mind read anything they put out with a grain of salt. Especially claims of abuse and overuse.

It looks like some of the information contained intheir description is lifted straight from the state's DNR RS2477 project. And some has been twisted a little (claiming that the stretch of Permenete Road beyond the washout is not clearly defined for example and insinuating that the right of way only extends to or shortof that point for example). Look to the state's documents for the accurate information without the editorials and slanting. Most of that info was compiled during the early-mid '90s. It is based on input from that period as well as historical reords dating back to the 1800s. Little of it has been hands on verified by the state, so there are a lot of inaccuracies in the details, but overall it is a good source for leads about potential trails.
Yourkidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 10:58 AM   #3
Taz
Gruff

Taz is on a distinguished road

I hadn't heard of that group, thanks for providing the info on them. I thought the part about the trails connecting was interesting.

01 TJ, 7" RELA, Onboard air compressor, 36 IROK radials, Dual batteries, Warn 9000 winch/in cab remote, ARB front and rear.

Alaska Extreme Fourwheelers
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 11:57 AM   #4
Yourkidding
Registered Member

Yourkidding Default Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (aktazz @ Oct. 22 2003,11:58)]I hadn't heard of that group, thanks for providing the info on them. I thought the part about the trails connecting was interesting.
That is just my term for them. Basically they are a handful of rather rabid "activists" who combine working within the sytem for as much control over their community as they can get (nothing wrong with that), and more fringe stuff like making their own license plate for their vehicles, hiring a "Tribal Police Officer" who in fact has no law enforcement authroity at all, harrassing outsiders who they find on land that they consider their own (they really did claim that everything between Fairbanks and Homer was theirs, even ignoring the other aboriginal people who lived in the areas) and other stupid **** like that.

The local governments (Bourough and state) treat them with kid gloves and pretend that if they ignore them they will go away. Under the previous president and his administration these elementa around the state and the country gained a lot of unearned credibilty and encouragement in their quest for "Independedent Nation" status.

I had a run in with one of these idiots this year (not a Chickaloony, but the same type of guy from another area. He tried to succker punch me as we ate lunch at a road house near the trailhead that we came out at. We had been out for about a week on state land, far from where we were at when we met him. The BLM trail that we used for acess is one of the few around that the BLM has actually had to go to pains to clearly post and make sure that it is known to be a legitimate access route. And repeatedly replace the signs and clear blockages. This is because of the problems that these "activists" cause. It is a legal road belonging to the state and crossing BLM lands to acess gold mining sites that, like the road, have been active for over 100 years. This fool was ranting and raving about how we were 'F**king up HIS land. When we ignored him he started in with the "F**king whiteman" **** and ranted some more about how we were stealing Alaska from him. We had our wives and kids with us and tried to just carry on and hope that he would leave. Instead he took a swing at me as I sat with my back to him. Wasn't much of a punch, and as I jumped up and turned to face him he also got to watch the wives of a cop, an FBI agent and a couple of grunts trying to hold them back as they tried to get around the table to him. I simply shoved him back into some chairs and fortunately realized that since our lunch had just arrived a bar fight wasn't what we wanted. Instead I hollered to the bartender to get the fool out of there before I had to hurt him. He was very happy to do so and the moron suddenly got a little smarter as he looked at all the pissed off guys staring at him.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with your original post. Kinda back to thagt subject... Has anyone here ever found the access point in Chickaloon and traveled up the Chickaloon River Trail?
Yourkidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 10:29 PM   #5
imported_ODDBALL
Registered Member

imported_ODDBALL Default Reputation

I did a solo run around that place this past spring and found a few nice cabins but no trail. All is most likely over grown or foot and horse travle. I had a talk with a guy that lives out of state and he owns property in that Chickaloon spot just befor the bridge. He says the people are very protective of the land they live on and are not hesitant to start some friction! So many off-road/land troubles I could tell you all about!