Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Glow Plug

Glow Plug Diesel performance, modifications, tuning, and repairs.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough
Default Cummins wave ring alternatives

I've been looking for a way to run a 4l80e behind a 6B w/o buying one of those stupidly expensive adapters, custom flex plate and 6.0 psd starter. This is a major hurdle in moving the 6B suburban project forward.

The stock solution is called a wave ring. It was built for 4B to chevy but as far as I can tell never used in 6B applications. Some folks have done it. Both 4Bs & 6Bs have broken the wave ring. IMO it is a really poor design and I wouldn't trust it behind a 6B and would be really cautious of running it on a 4B.

It is really nothing more than a spacer to put the torque converter in the right place. People have made a variety of custom spacers. Most require tooling that I don't have.

I have finally found one that looks like it can be made by a competent shop and a good welder.

Any auto tranny guys want to weigh in? See any issues w/using this for adapting the dodge flexplate to the chev torque converter? Do you think it will take out too much flex from the flex plate?

I will probably search for an upgraded dodge flexplate. I don't like the spoked design that came on my 6B.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:44 AM   #2
turk
Registered Member

turk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cummins wave ring alternatives

my uncle has a food truck that has a 6b in front of a 4l80e. it had a wave ring that broke, so we had an aluminum spacer made by a machinist uncle of mine to install in it's place. this way it was a solid piece of metal.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
snowbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk View Post
my uncle has a food truck that has a 6b in front of a 4l80e. it had a wave ring that broke, so we had an aluminum spacer made by a machinist uncle of mine to install in it's place. this way it was a solid piece of metal.
local?
Old 01-19-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
turk
Registered Member

new mexico. greatland welding has the tooling to make one if you give him specs.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Scott,
If you get a ring made of aluminum, I would seriously consider a steel tube insert in the aluminum ring any place a bolt goes through, this will give a greater bearing area to transmit the Cummins torque without wallowing the bolt holes out, just a thought, I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy.
Otherwise I don't see a reason it wouldn't work, may be difficult to find a chunk of aluminum 16"x16"x2", or whatever, in state. Do you have a wave ring to use as an example?

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

If you keep the engine power close to stock, I think the stock flexplate and converter would be ok.

The stock flexplate isn't too bad even though it seems like it wouldn't hold much power.

Might be a good idea to talk to my buddy Chris. He owns Bowman Transmission and Off Road in Idaho. 208-599-1050. He really knows his stuff and is into building rigs using "junkyarded" stuff no one ever thought could work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbear View Post

Any auto tranny guys want to weigh in? See any issues w/using this for adapting the dodge flexplate to the chev torque converter? Do you think it will take out too much flex from the flex plate?

I will probably search for an upgraded dodge flexplate. I don't like the spoked design that came on my 6B.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:39 PM   #7
turk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasillashack View Post
Scott,
If you get a ring made of aluminum, I would seriously consider a steel tube insert in the aluminum ring any place a bolt goes through, this will give a greater bearing area to transmit the Cummins torque without wallowing the bolt holes out, just a thought, I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy.
Otherwise I don't see a reason it wouldn't work, may be difficult to find a chunk of aluminum 16"x16"x2", or whatever, in state. Do you have a wave ring to use as an example?
It went in years ago, and is still running strong. having the experience I have now, I would have done the same.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:04 PM   #8
snowbear

I doubt I'd use aluminum. I've looked at several 'homemade' designs and like the one pictured above the best.

No I don't have a stock wave ring to work from. From what I've read about them I wouldn't rely on one for a pattern. I'm not even sure that it would provide the right standoff for the 4l80

I'm still deciding what tranny to run and this is one of the keys to making the decision. If I find a spacer design I like then I'll find a chevy adapter to buy
Old 01-19-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
turk
Registered Member

if you don't have a tranny yet, then why not get one intended to run behind a 6b so parts are readily available in the future, and fit it to your rig?
Old 01-20-2014, 06:37 AM   #10
snowbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk View Post
if you don't have a tranny yet, then why not get one intended to run behind a 6b so parts are readily available in the future, and fit it to your rig?
I have a 4l80e, hence the discussion

The dodge trannys have their challenges too and controllers for the re's are more expensive than the chevy models. I have thot about having a 47rh built and am weighing that against the 4l80e alternative.

Last edited by snowbear; 01-20-2014 at 11:59 AM.
snowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:24 AM   #11
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

I'm sure you have thought of this, if you build a spacer as pictured above, I would have it surfaced on both sides to ensure the mounting surfaces are parallel and flat. This can be done in a lathe or a Blanchard grinder. The construction seems to be two flat metal fins with tubular spacers welded in between. I would think this job would be a natural for Tri-Jet.

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:03 PM   #12
snowbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasillashack View Post
I'm sure you have thought of this, if you build a spacer as pictured above, I would have it surfaced on both sides to ensure the mounting surfaces are parallel and flat. This can be done in a lathe or a Blanchard grinder. The construction seems to be two flat metal fins with tubular spacers welded in between. I would think this job would be a natural for Tri-Jet.
water jet is the ticket for cutting the rings. Probably a lathe for the spacers. The assembly, bolted to the flex plate, could be surfaced on a flywheel surfacing machine too.

The one pictured was w/in 1/2 oz of balance and .002 flatness. Built by a better welder than I'll ever be!
Old 01-20-2014, 07:20 PM   #13
yellowk20
Registered Member

yellowk20 is on a distinguished road

a built 47RH will handle more power and abuse then the 4L80E and not have any troublesome electronics to deal with. i would think simpler would be better try to avoid to much custom stuff so that it can be fixed easier in far off places.
yellowk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:30 PM   #14
84Shortbed
Registered Member

84Shortbed has disabled reputation

47rh is getting harder to find parts for.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #15
snowbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Shortbed View Post
47rh is getting harder to find parts for.
That is what I have been reading. Is it really a cause for concern? Are there aftermarket parts coming to market?
Old 01-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #16
snowbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowk20 View Post
a built 47RH will handle more power and abuse then the 4L80E and not have any troublesome electronics to deal with. i would think simpler would be better try to avoid to much custom stuff so that it can be fixed easier in far off places.
Have you got a 47rh to part with? I tried several junk yards and no joy.