Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Glow Plug

Glow Plug Diesel performance, modifications, tuning, and repairs.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
alaskangiles
Registered Member

alaskangiles is on a distinguished road
Default No crank!

Every time I go to do EFI Live on this truck, something happens. Did an e-fan install, replaced my cab lights, new trans cooler, fixed my oil leak, and now it sits in my garage for 5 days because it won't crank.

Did the work fired it up and went for a drive. During the drive the cluster would stop and start working, along with the overhead council. I had a 92' Chev that did the same thing. Shut it off an retire it and it'd be good to go. Turns out to not be a smart thing to do @0300 in this one horse town…at the only light! FML, there I sat with a dead truck @0300. 3 miles from home, windchill of -20-25*, in a hoodie. Cop was nice enough to roll his window down and ask if I needed anything. I asked for a couple road flares and he started to give them to me until I told him to wait to call the FD.

Both batteries are tested and charged. EVERY ground is new, all 4 battery post connectors are new. Turn key to on position and everything cycles as it should, except the gauge cluster, it does nothing. No lights, no full sweep of gauges, NOTHING. Push forward to start position and nothing changes. Radio never shuts down, heater still blowing, as if I never changed the key position.

I know I've been gone a while and haven't kept my tabs, but it's life. And it just keeps happening…

Thanks!

And EFI Live was ordered anyways…Along with my fuel system. It's gonna be what I want or catch fire trying! -4* here in SW Ohio right now...

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

"Go ahead skin that smoke wagon and see what happen's"

My butt itches and my finger stinks.
alaskangiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
AK_Ford
Registered Member

AK_Ford is on a distinguished road
Default Re: No crank!

Did you get a canned tune? My guess is that there's a corrupted line or something weird in the file. It's happened to me in the race car before, everything just goes to **** for no reason. Rewrite the tune based off a fresh file and no more problems.
AK_Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

Was 53* here today... Freakin crazy! My lawn is actually starting to turn green!

I hope the Efan works out. I've heard they are not near enough CFM for towing.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
yellowk20
Registered Member

yellowk20 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
I hope the Efan works out. I've heard they are not near enough CFM for towing.
yep they won't cool worth a crap while towing even says it in instructions
yellowk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:32 AM   #5
alaskangiles
Registered Member

NO tune on it at the moment.

I'll let you guys know more this summer about the fans. Never gonna need them if I can't get it to start!

-9* right now 10:30 am, haven't seen grass in a couple months. Folks around here are blaming us for bringing this crap with us, lol. Kids are going to be in school till July, yippie! There's a huge propane shortage going on though...

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 01-31-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
alaskangiles
Registered Member

Finally gave in and towed it to a shop…2 full days later and he "thinks" he has it tracked down to the ECM being smoked. My reply was "does that mean if it isn't I can THINK about paying you?". He had no answer, said he'll get back to me in the morning. I'll be there to pick it up and take it to the dealer though. I ain't spending that kind of money because of a hunch, what a joke… YES, I'm bitter right now! Might bring it home and let the kids play with road flares!

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 01-31-2014, 10:36 PM   #7
89' BURBAN
Registered Member

89' BURBAN is on a distinguished road

I'm fighting the exact same thing on a 06' Ram Hemi. Everything from the key to the starter test out fine except the TIPM which seems to be dropping the "Hey its time to crank over" signal. No good way to test the infamous black box though Let me know what ya come up with and I'll do the same.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #8
alaskangiles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89' BURBAN View Post
I'm fighting the exact same thing on a 06' Ram Hemi. Everything from the key to the starter test out fine except the TIPM which seems to be dropping the "Hey its time to crank over" signal. No good way to test the infamous black box though Let me know what ya come up with and I'll do the same.
You nailed it! I'm gonna pick up a part in the morning and see if I can "rig" something up. Because this TIPM is only 6 months old!!! I really don't want to buy another one… I'll keep you posted. Do you have a CompuStar on yours too? Starts 95% of the time, the other 5% it starts and shuts right back off.

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 02-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
alaskangiles
Registered Member

I finally got this figured out… I was taking it back to 100% STOCK and checking it every time I changed something back. Don't ask me how headlights have anything to do with starting, but when I took off the HID's and installed a standard bulb, the thing fired up like I just shut it off. I threw tons of money at this thing, and it was elfin headlights! Has acted like nothing was wrong since I swapped them out a few days ago and over 1,100 miles. I'm happy and really angry about this...

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 02-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #10
scout
Registered Member

scout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskangiles View Post
I finally got this figured out… I was taking it back to 100% STOCK and checking it every time I changed something back. Don't ask me how headlights have anything to do with starting, but when I took off the HID's and installed a standard bulb, the thing fired up like I just shut it off. I threw tons of money at this thing, and it was elfin headlights! Has acted like nothing was wrong since I swapped them out a few days ago and over 1,100 miles. I'm happy and really angry about this...
Some of the cheaper HID kits back feed power in weird ways. My super duty would back feed the HID's through the ABS system and every time I turned the lights on it would kit and ABS code and the light would flash. I went back to stock lights and the problem went away. Goes to show you get what you pay for.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #11
nate
Registered Member

I'm not even going to guess on that one! Some of the HID kits are real crap. Rode with someone the other day and turning the HID lights on caused the radio to go to static.

Maybe it's just me, but the sensors, electronics and other doo dads that they are sticking on pickups are getting a bit stupid. Between needing a degree in rocket surgery to fix the things and the price the dealers want for them it's enough to give a guy an ulcer. $50-60k for a pickup is just stupid!

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington

Last edited by nate; 02-21-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #12
alaskangiles
Registered Member

Closed loop systems can like my….!!!! It's by far my most hated thing about Dodge, followed closely by there front ends.

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 02-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #13
alaskangiles
Registered Member

Third would be there junk blower doors! They want close to $2,000 to fix the blower doors. I found a kit online (don't remember the name off hand) that I need to research when I get a chance. Was closer to $400 if I remember correctly.

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 02-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #14
nate
Registered Member

Does your truck have all the readouts that let you know if a bulb is burned out and all that jazz? I know those are a real PITA.

(Yeah I know I fired more than a few farts in the driver's seat, just I was more worried about dying while pulling a million pound trailer at the time)

Old 02-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #15
alaskangiles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
Does your truck have all the readouts that let you know if a bulb is burned out and all that jazz? I know those are a real PITA.

(Yeah I know I fired more than a few farts in the driver's seat, just I was more worried about dying while pulling a million pound trailer at the time)
Honestly, not sure what all it has. I know it has started just fine for a year, the way it was… I can also promise that the next time this truck gives me any troubles, the motor and trans is going in a CC, long bed, mid 80's, GM truck! I'll part out the rest to make my money back on it. There's a reason someone left it in a mud puddle, it's cursed!

WILL WORK FOR SANITY