Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Glow Plug

Glow Plug Diesel performance, modifications, tuning, and repairs.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #1
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough
Default 6B Suburban clutch

One overriding agreement that had to made before going manual tranny, Pati needs to be able to drive it comfortably. Stuff like ceramics are off the table.

I talked to South Bend for a while this morning and they are recommending a 13" single disk organic, HD clutch kit. I was really expecting them to recommend the street dual disk setup.

the rig, 96 burb, 6BT, NV5600, crawlbox, NP205, '05 F350 SD axles w/3.73, 37-39" tires. Est wt 8000# empty. I am not going to turn the pump up much. I will upgrade injectors. No plans for towing heavy loads.

I've read a bunch and there is a group that says stay away from single disks at all costs. Others that are more resonable, don't run'm if you are going to tow. And others that have no problems with them. Anyone here got experience and want to weigh in?
Old 12-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
85toyflatbed
Registered Member

85toyflatbed is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 6B Suburban clutch

stock clutch would more than likely be just fine the nv5600 will be more of a work out shifting than the clutch.. I put a southbend single in my dads truck and it took along time to get smooth and is nice now. I have a dual disk in mine and it is great if the truck is loaded pulling 20k but empty and hooking up trailers sucks. it it a great clutch I have a lot of miles on mine all towing.
85toyflatbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:36 PM   #3
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Curious why ceramics are not an option?

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #4
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough

Ceramics are like on / off switches. No easing into it.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Very true, had a 14" ceramic in the Babe Magnet, great thing about ceramic is you can overheat them and when they cool off the regain their grip. Never noticed the difference until I went back with a conventional clutch.

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:16 AM   #6
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

It depends on the material. Ceramic Clutches are common on start/stop with heavy load stuff like garbage trucks, dump trucks, etc.

As for the best clutch to use, keep it local... talk to Alaska Clutch. The owner (Rich??) has probably forgotten more about clutches than everyone on this board but together knows.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
84Shortbed
Registered Member

84Shortbed has disabled reputation

I would disagree with you on ceramic being on off switch. I would stick with a single disc definitely. You can get hybrid conventional/ceramic if your really worried about it. The cummins doesn't put out a lot of power. With some upgrades your looking at maybe 250 hp. Thst power is what most stock cummins put out now. As far as needing an upgrade you don't.. ceramic is the way to go IMO.

Next question. Why upgrade Injectors? Stock are good for 300 hp. You can get away with free mods to pump and notice a night / day difference with just 50-75 hp and still maintain good egts and fuel mileage.