Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Glow Plug

Glow Plug Diesel performance, modifications, tuning, and repairs.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
yellowk20
Registered Member

yellowk20 is on a distinguished road
Default fuel quality and related engine issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOneemen View Post
I've heard differently from the Conoco guys. They seem to hate the Fords no matter what year and praise Chevy's... minus balljoints. They buy a ton of balljoints
the D-maxes have been so much trouble that conoco is leasing gas chevys and cummins dodges . as of today there are 22 new d-maxes on our dead line with compromised fuel and emissions system , and complete engine failures .

Chevy corporate is spinning trying to figure out what to do with these boat anchors.
yellowk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation
Default Re: ANOTHER Craigslist GEM

Over the years there have been several complete reversals on trucks on the slope (ARCO/Kuparuk). In the late 70's it was Chevy and Ford gassers. In the early eighties most companies went with Ford diesels they were ran 24/7, which led to injector failures/glow plug issues. Then, for a short period -Trial? they went with gas Fords, had lots of difficulties with the wanting to stall in heavy snowfall, busting through drifts etc. With the distributor in front, any snow drawn through the radiator turned to watery mist which shorted out the distrbutor. We fabbed and installed a a "u" shaped shroud that was attached to the air cleaner, resolved that problem. So Arco promptly went back to Ford diesels, but stopped running them 24/7, What specfic issues are you seeng with the Dmax's?

Any multi user truck is a maintenance nightmare, IMO.

Managed a 60 plus truck fleet for AFSC/ASIG at the airport ,we had tons of problems starting around 2004/2005 mostly drivabilty issues. Mostly SD 450/550 with diesels/automatics, Ford couldn't, wouldn't, shouldn't find a fix. I'm told AFSC/ASIG is now going back to Ford gassers. Terrble environment for ANY vehicle.

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.

Last edited by wasillashack; 01-08-2014 at 10:59 PM.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:30 PM   #3
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

One of my friends works up north, was telling about DPFs plugging up/failing and issues with the urea injection systems... Mainly freezing or not working from the cold and the truck goes haywire.
Real fun to have to depend on junk like that when it could mean you freezing if the truck craps out. More computers and sensors in the exhaust systems on these things than in a WHOLE 10-15 yr old truck.

Starting to see this crap on off road diesels now too... Tier IV emissions.

The exhaust systems are having issues right out of the box in the cold. How do they expect it to last 20+ years?!

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington

Last edited by nate; 01-08-2014 at 11:41 PM.
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:06 AM   #4
murphyslaw
Registered Member

murphyslaw is on a distinguished road

The Chevys urea tanks freeze. Most of the newer truck I have driven ford and chevy that had DPF's had check engine lights. 90% of the trucks up there dont get driven enough at speed to maintenance the DPF. Seems like every time I'm up there I end up taking a trip out of town pointed south so I can run at 45-50mph for 20-30 miles so it can regen.

We carry guns here, act accordingly.
when in doubt, part it out.

murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:37 AM   #5
yellowk20
Registered Member

While the DPF and Urea are major issues for us, the biggest issue is the fuel systems GM is using s new bosch CP4 injection pump and they are failing and sending metal through the entire feul system. requiring all the injectors , lines ,pumps ect to be replaced and the tanks dropped and cleaned . its MAJOR job and requires pulling the cab.

Ford is also using the new CP4 pump without issues on the 6.7 powerstroke so something is going on there.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
Rolling
Now you can have it.

Rolling is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowk20 View Post
While the DPF and Urea are major issues for us, the biggest issue is the fuel systems GM is using s new bosch CP4 injection pump and they are failing and sending metal through the entire feul system. requiring all the injectors , lines ,pumps ect to be replaced and the tanks dropped and cleaned . its MAJOR job and requires pulling the cab.
But the metal flake it produces looks super cool!!!!!
Agreed, the urea and DPF are just hiccups, the injector pumps shut them down. If the slope would approve a section of road for highway speeds, and then require the trucks make laps each day they would eliminate almost all of the DPF regenerate problems, and let the urea tanks heat up properly too.

FZJ-80 Lexus on 35's....if you gotta ask whats a ZJ you can't afford it....
Rolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
wasillashack
Registered Member

Are you required to run Low Sulphur Diesel (LSD) or can you run the locally made "home heating fuel"?

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
yellowk20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasillashack View Post
Are you required to run Low Sulphur Diesel (LSD) or can you run the locally made "home heating fuel"?

we are saddled with crappy ULSD we are only allowed to run LEPD in the heaters
Old 01-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
murphyslaw
Registered Member

murphyslaw is on a distinguished road

at least on exxon pad you even have to run ulsd in small generators, refer units and the like.

We carry guns here, act accordingly.
when in doubt, part it out.

murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:21 PM   #10
wasillashack
Registered Member

Not a huge diesel guy, could ULSD be some of your problem? Is your ULSD "imported" or produced locally? Could it be that there is a missing component(additive/ingredient) that is causing those problems, or, is it environment, service, design, or other related? Can you network with other locations using DMax's and see if they are having the same problems, or how they fixed them?

Remember Shackletts' First Mechanical Law "There is no mechanical problem so great, that it cannot be evercome with brute force and ignorance" LOL

Last edited by wasillashack; 01-09-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #11
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

Home Heating Oil I'm told is the same exact thing as from the pump diesel?

I know someone that runs in it a DPF equipped truck and hasn't had any issues.

Mods... maybe we could put the fuel talk into a new thread? It's a good discussion, but kinda off topic.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #12
chris112lee
Registered Member

chris112lee is on a distinguished road

In Fairbanks heating oil is not ulsd. Not sure about down here
Old 01-09-2014, 05:44 PM   #13
wasillashack
Registered Member

Nate,
The "home heating oil" I referred to was a product made at Crude Oil Topping Plant (COTP)-Kuparuk, it was originally sold as diesel fuel until the tier system went into effect. I don't think there is a Tier classification it fits in. Definitely not the same as public pump fuels.

If I knew how to swap forums I would, we digress..

Last edited by wasillashack; 01-09-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:57 PM   #14
yellowk20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasillashack View Post
Not a huge diesel guy, could ULSD be some of your problem? Is your ULSD "imported" or produced locally? Could it be that there is a missing component(additive/ingredient) that is causing those problems, or, is it environment, service, design, or other related? Can you network with other locations using DMax's and see if they are having the same problems, or how they fixed them?

Remember Shackletts' First Mechanical Law "There is no mechanical problem so great, that it cannot be evercome with brute force and ignorance" LOL
We get our fuel from the same places as anyone else in AK ULSD # 1

Yes the new Dmaxes are failing in other places to it just seems that we are having even MORE failures then most . GM has asked that we test our fuel have not yet heard the results yet.

In the heavy shop about 25% of our work is now emissions related we have the Tier 4 offroad equipment and it sucks , UREA is nasty stuff and EGR and DPF's are major issues also .

All the new equipment is High pressure common rail injection and we rarely have fuel system issues ( running the exact same fuel as the GM's) so while possible I don't think its fuel.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #15
Raven
Work hard, play hard!

Raven will become famous soon enoughRaven will become famous soon enough
Default Re: fuel quality and related engine issues.

Quote:
Home Heating Oil I'm told is the same exact thing as from the pump diesel?
Here in Kodiak, there is NO difference, other than price, due to road excise taxes. If I buy #2 for the house in the summer, it's the same fuel, coming from the same tank as at the pump for my truck. Same goes for #1 in the winter. I don't know why it would be any different anyplace else in the state.

Emerald Isle Offroad- The few, the proud, the completely isolated.

Last edited by Raven; 01-10-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:41 AM   #16
Duallie
Registered Member

Duallie is on a distinguished road

I have no idea what additional fuel is imported in on barges, but the only Diesel Desulpherizing unit in Alaska is in Nikiski. The NorthPole refinery cannot make ULSD and made a deal to railcar road diesel back to the interior from Anchorage
on the same cars that haul gasoline from Fairbanks. NorthPole never invested the $125,000,000 to make ULSD and can only make gas and LSD. When the Feds decree that HHO and locomotive fuel has to be ULSD too, they might have to close.
I don't know what they make at the topping plant on the slope, but it ain't road ULSD. Maybe it's just downhole stuff and stove oil.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #17
joe231
Registered Member

joe231 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris112lee View Post
In Fairbanks heating oil is not ulsd. Not sure about down here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
Here in Kodiak, there is NO difference, other than price, due to road excise taxes. If I buy #2 for the house in the summer, it's the same fuel, coming from the same tank as at the pump for my truck. Same goes for #1 in the winter. I don't know why it would be any different anyplace else in the state.
I was in Fairbanks last Thursday, I stopped to fuel up my rental car and right on the diesel pump it said #1 heating oil. I'm not sure why you would buy road diesel for heating oil though, no need to pay the road tax for it.

Also, on a side note, I worked for a Chemical company in Anchorage years ago. We made a silicone/kerosene blend. The tanker of Kerosene came from the port and the description on the bill of lading said #1 diesel/kerosene/Jet-A. The truck driver confirmed that they all came from the same tank. Maybe road diesel gets extra additives after it is pumped from that tank?
I thought it was interesting....

Chevy Only

Last edited by joe231; 01-11-2014 at 12:54 PM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #18
snowbear

snowbear will become famous soon enough

I've been told by a longtime driver for Crowley that they have been importing ulsd diesel from S. Korea to meet our needs.

The decision not to upgrade the KOTP was not solely due to the ulsd upgrade itself. New regulations instituted after the Texas City Refinery explosion set minimum distances between facilities and living quarters. Upgrades to facilities that exceed a certain threshold bring on the requirement to meet these distance regulations. COP would have had to move the KOTP or the camp due to the upgrade and that killed the project.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #19
bigtex
Registered Member

bigtex is on a distinguished road

That was in West, Tx. I had some buddies who worked there but werent there when the plant went up thank God.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...lack-81-a.html
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...bler-tech.html
bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote