Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Special Interest > Russian / Unique International

Old 01-14-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
sledneck

sledneck is on a distinguished road
Default Screw Drive

D*mn cool! I think there was on on CL a few years back up here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afJ18...eature=related
sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:08 AM   #2
chris112lee
Registered Member

chris112lee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Screw Drive

http://www.alaska4x4network.com/show...ht=screw+drive

Russians do build some cool stuff
Old 01-25-2008, 07:02 AM   #3
c4ck4
Registered Member

c4ck4 has disabled reputation

Have you guys seen this?

http://www.icechallenger.com/

They start with a Prinoth groomer (http://www.prinoth.com/) and then they custom made some screw drive pontoons that they lower hydraulically when they need to. Their goal is to drive from Alaska to Russia, across the ice floes which move at around 3km/h.

The screw drive pontoons hold enough air that the vehicle can "drive" on water and various grades of slush as well. The screw drives also allow them something rather unique, its one of the only ways a vehicle can practically climb the edge of ice shelves and drive from water onto a chunk of ice.

Also compare Archimedean Screw Tractors, made by Mitsui Engineering. (here is one for sale, http://www.transdat.com.au/machine13132.html) They are used for various things, among them, icebreaking. They are quite effective at breaking their way through ice on ocean up to 15in thick. They used one in a whale rescue near Point Barrow where three gray whales were trapped in an ice pocket.

Cool stuff.
c4ck4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:14 AM   #4
deepmud

deepmud is on a distinguished road

yeah, that unit was on ebay and bidalaska.com for awhile. I believe it got driven to those grey whales that were in the news back in the day It can't break thick ice, it turns out. It didn't help the whales, lol. Looks like at least a year ago they still couldn't sell it.

There was a little 15ft skiff with screws like that I used to see on trips to Homer - it looked like a perfect thin-ice rescue boat.

We have a thread on here somewhere about the Ice Challenger - kind of a bummer they got turned back by the Russians - they must want to do it first lol. The Ice Challenger did a good job dealing with the broken-ice-slush, that's is some tough terrain - you can't get out and shovel or anything
Old 12-18-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
samrawet
Registered Member

samrawet has disabled reputation

If you want to screw than read it

A screw is a shaft with a helical groove or thread formed on its surface and provision at one end to turn the screw. Its main uses are as a threaded fastener used to hold objects together, and as a simple machine used to translate torque into linear force. It can also be defined as an inclined plane wrapped around a shaft.
A screw used as a threaded fastener consists of a cylindrical shaft, which in many cases tapers to a point at one end, and with a helical ridge or thread formed on it, and a head at the other end which can be rotated by some means. The thread is essentially an inclined plane wrapped around the shaft. The thread mates with a complementary helix in the material. The material may be manufactured with the mating helix using a tap, or the screw may create it when first driven in (a self-tapping screw). The head is specially shaped to allow a screwdriver or wrench (British English: spanner) to rotate the screw, driving it in or releasing it. The head is of larger diameter than the body of the screw and has no thread so that the screw can not be driven deeper than the length of the shaft, and to provide compression.

Screws can normally be removed and reinserted without reducing their effectiveness. They have greater holding power than nails and permit disassembly and reuse of objects.

The vast majority of screws are tightened by clockwise rotation; we speak of a right-hand thread. Screws with left-hand threads are used in exceptional cases, when the screw is subject to anticlockwise forces that might undo a right-hand thread. Left-hand screws are used on rotating items such as the left-hand grinding wheel on a bench grinder or the left hand pedal on a bicycle (both looking towards the equipment) or hub nuts on the left side of some automobiles.

Threaded fasteners were made by a cutting action such as dies provide, but recent advances in tooling allow them to be made by rolling an unthreaded rod (the blank) between two specially machined dies which squeeze the blank into the shape of the required fastener, including the thread. This method has the advantages of work hardening the thread and saving material. A rolled thread can be distinguished from a thread formed by a die as the outside diameter of the thread is greater than the diameter of the unthreaded portion of the shaft. Bicycle spokes, which are just bolts with long thin unthreaded portions, always use rolled threads for strength.
samrawet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #6
chris112lee
Registered Member

and that has what to do with screw drive vehicles? Please be productive and not intentionally detract from the conversation.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
dtshooter
Registered Member

dtshooter has disabled reputation

Years ago this group- was trying to do the same thing.... only problem
they were using a Hummer H1 with outrigger alum. floats. We had the
thing in our shop for a few days at ACDC. That year it failed.
dtshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
Bronco7890
Registered Member

Bronco7890 is on a distinguished road

This is a 16mm demo film of the Armstead Snow Motors Company concept snow vehicle. It was filmed in 1924. The concept is applied to a Fordson tractor and a Chevrolet automobile. The original film is part of the collections of the Archives of Michigan.
http://vimeo.com/2638558

I almost want to say these were probably the first concepts built and man that chevy(7:51) is wicked and Im a ford guy. Wish I had a snowcat like that.

Per this site that posted previously, it states that the original screw propulsion vehicle was designed in 1944, during WWII, by Johannes Raedel, a member of the German Army and veteran of the Eastern Front with Russia.
http://fulgerica.com/en/2007/07/04/i...ars-screw-you/

90 Bronco
HPDana 44 SAS, 3/4ton 8 lug conversion,
Dana 70U, 4.56 gears, powerlok, disk brake conversion
6" lift
http://www.supermotors.net/users/Bronco7890
Bronco7890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
deepmud

deepmud is on a distinguished road

I've seen pics of Tucker working with screw drives around the 20's too. Ya - the Russians may have come up with it on their own in the 40's but it did exist and work much earlier. This might be the earliest. Very fun to watch I like the Chevy too - like Mattracks, a conversion kit sort of thing. I notice it's all pretty dense, heavy snow there, but heck, it was workin'
Old 01-28-2009, 09:23 PM   #10
chris112lee
Registered Member

The dozer pulling those logs was prety impressive. I wonder how much it can pull in the soft stuff.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
Rolling
Now you can have it.

Rolling is on a distinguished road

Saw this on another sight, thought it fit nicely
Old snowmachine screw drive vid

FZJ-80 Lexus on 35's....if you gotta ask whats a ZJ you can't afford it....
Rolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:49 PM   #12
jonepain
Registered Member

jonepain has disabled reputation
Default Screw Drive

I had the screw drive disabled when I was going back to firmware v1.1 on my k10d to fix back focus, and I don't know, but it kind of seemed faster. But maybe that's just because it makes all that noise. SDM always sems slow because you can't here it doing anything. I'm back on v1.3 now, but I kind of want to revert again and do some kind of test.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #13
sledneck

sledneck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonepain View Post
I had the screw drive disabled when I was going back to firmware v1.1 on my k10d to fix back focus, and I don't know, but it kind of seemed faster. But maybe that's just because it makes all that noise. SDM always sems slow because you can't here it doing anything. I'm back on v1.3 now, but I kind of want to revert again and do some kind of test.
WTF?