Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:34 AM   #1
ericcris10sn
Registered Member

ericcris10sn has disabled reputation
Default 2001 Xterra Build - Eric

Hey, so this is my build, it's a very simple/basic build right now, but I'm hoping to be able to purchase some new mods a little later in the season when I save more money. I know it's not much but so far it has done what I've needed it to do.

Year: 2001
Color: Silver
Model: Xterra 4x4
Trans: Auto

Mods:
1.5 PML
Safari TSR tires P265/70R15
2 LED light bars
Calmini Rock Sliders
Removed rear sway bar
Removed step rails
RLCweldfab front bumper
Tuff Stuff 12,500 lb recovery winch

Extras:
Ultragauge
Firestick antenna
Uniden Pro505XL CB radio
Shovel mount
Hi-lift jack mount (not on currently)
D ring hitch mount (I guess that's what you call it lol)
New transmission

Hopefully more mods:
Bilstein shocks
(Volant) Air Intake
Snorkel
2-4 Long distant fog lights

I'm mechanically inclined for the most part so whenever I want to mod something, if it's easy enough I'll look up some DIY and attempt it, otherwise I just take it to a shop that will install it for me.

I'd really like to run with people out here because of a couple of reasons. I don't know what dirt road is for off roading, and which ones go to someones house because not all dirt roads have mailboxes out front and not all say private areas and I have yet to see a dirt road that has any kind of FS post or BLM sign or anything (lol). Alaska trails can be unforgiving and I'd rather not get stuck out in the middle of nowhere and NOT be able to get myself out without the help of someone (I have my own recovery gear so if it's not wedged really deep in mud/snow or something like that, I can use my winch, straps, shovel or wood planks to get myself unstuck). And it's always safe to go off roading with someone.

I work/live about 11 miles south of Healy and I'm hoping someone here would run with me. Most of my co-workers either don't have any 4x4 rigs or they do but don't want to off road because they're afraid of it getting damaged/dinged (or they don't have off road tires). I see some REALLY incredible looking trucks on here.

One problem I would see reoccurring on these trails is mud/water damage under the hood. I've seen some of these rigs completely covered in mud and that's awesome. Before I came up here, I went off roading and went through a REALLY nasty deep mud patch that was filled with water. When I started driving home, my truck started dying and later found out the sensors were clogged and a lot of other tubes/hoses under the hood was REALLY clogged with mud. The mechanic told me that's the worse he has ever seen it a truck clogged with mud before. So other than just NOT going through things like that, how do you combat that? Air intake w/ a snorkel? These jeeps/trucks that I see in the trail section that is COVERED in mud MUST have had some kind of problem after that right? Just wondering what you suggest.

Anyways, I'll post some pictures of my xterra. I have some older pics but I'd like to post the most updated ones. Thanks for reading!
ericcris10sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
AKIQPilot
Registered Member

AKIQPilot has disabled reputation
Default Re: 2001 Xterra Build - Eric

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your Xterra.

Not to sure about wheeling around Healy but I'm sure you can find a few good places. Just be careful and stay out of the park.

AKIQPilots YouTube Channel
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
ericcris10sn
Registered Member

[x] 1.5 PML [x] Calmini rock sliders [x] Removed rear sway bar [x] Removed mud flaps [x]Removed step rails [x]Basic RLCweldfab front bumper [x] Tuff Stuff Classic 12,500 lb electric recovery winch [ ]Bilstein shocks [x]Fog lights installed [ ]KC hi-lites [x]Shovel/Hi-lift jack mount [x]CB radio w/ antenna [x]D ring hitch mount [x]hitch spare tire carrier [x]LED fog lights

Last edited by ericcris10sn; 06-17-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
ericcris10sn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your Xterra.

Not to sure about wheeling around Healy but I'm sure you can find a few good places. Just be careful and stay out of the park.

Oh thank you! Totally forgot about it And actually just found my camera yesterday So this is my Xterra. I actually just bought some new tires because uhhhh....

Yea, they're a little worn out. The two in the back are like brand new, but the ones in front are pretty worn down. Getting larger tires 31" so I'm happy to see how they work!
[x] 1.5 PML [x] Calmini rock sliders [x] Removed rear sway bar [x] Removed mud flaps [x]Removed step rails [x]Basic RLCweldfab front bumper [x] Tuff Stuff Classic 12,500 lb electric recovery winch [ ]Bilstein shocks [x]Fog lights installed [ ]KC hi-lites [x]Shovel/Hi-lift jack mount [x]CB radio w/ antenna [x]D ring hitch mount [x]hitch spare tire carrier [x]LED fog lights
Old 06-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #5
AKIQPilot
Registered Member

AKIQPilot has disabled reputation

Not bad Eric. I like the spacers on the shackles. Keeps them from clanging around going down the trail. Good idea.

AKIQPilots YouTube Channel
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
ericcris10sn
Registered Member

Right now I'm looking for some long distance lights to put up top for the winter, and then maybe some reverse LED lights to put up.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #7
ericcris10sn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Not bad Eric. I like the spacers on the shackles. Keeps them from clanging around going down the trail. Good idea.
Thank you! Someone mentioned it on a Xterra forum and so I thought I'd try it out.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
murphyslaw
Registered Member

murphyslaw is on a distinguished road

Front tires look like you need an alignment and ball joints.

We carry guns here, act accordingly.
when in doubt, part it out.

murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #9
ericcris10sn
Registered Member

Yea, that was stupid on my part for not getting an alignment after driving 3k miles from the lower 48. Spaced out on that. As for the ball joints, I never really thought about that. I'm going in next monday to get the new tires put on and then to get some work done on it, I'll add that to my list. Thank you for that!
Old 06-25-2014, 07:58 PM   #10
ericcris10sn
Registered Member

http://s319.photobucket.com/user/Ger...09902.mp4.html

I'm having this clicking noise under my hood and then it seems to idle high for a couple seconds then it ill go back to normal then will do it over and over again. I'm just wondering if anyone would have any idea on what this could be just from the sound. I'm planning on trying to take it to a mechanic but it may be a week before I can. But the MAIN reason I'm taking my truck in to the mechanic is because of this:

Old 08-28-2015, 07:41 AM   #11
ak_petey
Registered Member

ak_petey is on a distinguished road

Your photos disappeared!
Old 09-04-2015, 10:29 PM   #12
NissanSAS
Registered Member

NissanSAS has disabled reputation

The ticking is probably a busted exhaust manifold.