Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #301
RWC
Registered Member

RWC will become famous soon enough
Default Re: And thus, it begins

Then a trip to Homer happened, and a baby shower (that was actually a house party with a keg) and dipnetting, and I had to move all the furniture from our carpeted areas (including three bedrooms) so they could get sanitized, then we had to paint all three of those rooms, then move all the furniture back and reorganize/purge, etc.

So last Saturday I finally got another day to pull the spindle back off, yank the shaft, grease the upper joint, and install the plug. But as I was putting the caliper on, I immediately discovered that the caliper, right at the banjo-bolt, hit the back of the steering arm and the top of the knuckle. Out came the grinder. Finally got it done, and went for a short drive (still using the Scout tie-rod) just because I need to drive it. MAJOR DEATH WOBBLE! OMG. I couldn't safely go over 35 mph. At 45 it was guaranteed, and at 40 if I hit a bump. Slowly went to Home Depot to get a longer power cord for the new/used compressor and some curtain rings, and then across town to 00TJ's Shell to dump waste oil, and very slowly back home. Got the compressor set up that night.

On Sunday I reorganized and reclaimed my bench, swapped out a sketchy electrical box for one of my garage lights (above the bench), and fired up the compressor. I had no idea what's I'd been missing with a 60 gallon compressor in my garage! Yanked the right side knuckle off, and this time immediately dealt with the caliper interference issue so I could take a big chunk off at the bench with a cut-off wheel rather than bent over under the fender. End result:

This is just a mock-up to check clearance (hence the loose and old top nut).

Proof that it'll work! Progress is progress, even if messy. Also got the pitman arm swapped out for a TJ arm, yanked the Scout tie-rod, and mocked up the DOM.

Got a few more minutes in last night:

Torqued down the ball-joint nuts, and mocked-up the steering linkage to check for clearance. So far it all looks good, but that might change at full compression. Also will need to trim the leading edge of my spring plates, but I needed to pull them off to revise the bump-stop pad anyway.

Made sure to get the upper ball joint greased this time before I put in the axle shaft, greased up the u-joint, got fresh grease in the spindle bearing (the right side looked good), and called it a night. I need to go through the hub and make sure that the bearings are good before I throw it back on. The grease looked a little dirtier than I would have liked.

One last pic. I'm simply NOT used to seeing my steering linkage tucked up like this! I love it!
Electromatic Tamper. I want one of those. Does it smash stuff? I don't even care. It can just sit there and menace at other tools that are near it. . . . I've now decided that alot more of the powered devices in my house should be titled 'Electromatic'.

- Show trucks are like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt: great to look at, but you can't do a d@mn thing with 'em.
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:53 AM   #302
RWC
Registered Member

Wheels checked for clearance.

Mounted with Airsoft beads.

1-ton steering finished and installed.

Drove 6.5 miles and took these pictures while helping out a friend with tires.

Drove 2.6 miles and had the left rear tire come off. Apparently 85 ft-lbs of torque is not sufficient for 39.5" tires. Who knew? I've been torquing to 85 ft-lbs since my dad taught me to use a torque wrench when I was 13. This picture was snapped by a random person who decided I qualified as one of Alaska's worst drivers. To my credit, I was able to steer out of the roadway and get up so the back end was hanging over in a bus-stop area, so I didn't block traffic at all. Thanks to my rescue team. Reinstalled the tire, torqued everything to 100 ft-lbs, and drove home.

Drove home without incident. Casualty: one fender flare and some lug nuts. The rotor is a little flat, and the dust shield bent.

Parting shot from that evening since it doesn't fit in the garage anymore. I'm actually picking up some roller tires tonight simply for the in-and-out.
Electromatic Tamper. I want one of those. Does it smash stuff? I don't even care. It can just sit there and menace at other tools that are near it. . . . I've now decided that alot more of the powered devices in my house should be titled 'Electromatic'.

- Show trucks are like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt: great to look at, but you can't do a d@mn thing with 'em.

Last edited by RWC; 09-14-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:34 PM   #303
F150
Registered Member

F150 has disabled reputation

Looks pretty **** good
Old 09-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #304
RWC
Registered Member

With the wheel incident, I took a closer look at thread engagement all the way around, and realized that aside from the rear falling off, my front studs were all too short for these wheels. Plus the high-steer drag-link end was rubbing on the tire, so I needed to move it out another 1/4". Dorman to the rescue: after some research, I found a 2-1/4" stud for the right side, and a stud just shy of 2" for the left, along with a 5/16" spacer. I pulled the hubs off and replaced the studs on Saturday, and also checked for damage on the left rear rotor. It was seized on from rust and I didn't feel like fighting with it, but aside from some grinding-lips from being drug on the asphalt, it was fine. I grabbed a file and made the edges flat and called it good.

So I then spent yesterday essentially driving around town all day looking for errands, excuses, etc., just to put some drive time on it. For the first half of the day, nearly everywhere I stopped I'd check the torque (115 ft-lbs). The rears began holding it after the second stop, but the fronts took a few more checks (possibly just a factor of the new studs seating). By the end of the day, they were all holding steady though. Success!

No pics worth posting, but if you're interested, look at my thread on CJ-8.com for the stud details.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:03 PM   #305
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

The devil is in the details, good thing you caught the lug issue when you did, could've been much worse.

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote