Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Special Interest > Hot Rodders

Hot Rodders All discussion topics related to hot rods and custom cars. 2 wheel drive only, but does not have to be technical in nature

Old 07-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
Maddening
Registered Member

Maddening is on a distinguished road
Default My '47 Chevy Sport Coupe, Bone Stock, For Now.

I "inherited" this car from my Dad a while ago... He's still alive and well, he just got sick of this car, it was a money pit! Well, since I showed some interest in possibly hot-rodding it he turned it over to me about five years ago. I've got other projects, so this one has just been parked on the gravel parking area next to the house ever since. We had to move it to do some dirt work over on that side and the rear brakes are locked solid, which tends to happen when someone leaves an e-brake set for five years (my pops set it), so it got drug out kicking and screaming. Someday this thing will be a cool basic old skool rod, small block with some sorta automatic, and a straight axle (not the type with a diff or gears!) up front of some kind... but for now I've just got to get it rolling again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me View Post
Dammit, it's cold here!
...caught the Jeep thing again. '17 JK Hypergreen Hard Rock!

Last edited by Maddening; 07-07-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Maddening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:44 AM   #2
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

ChevyMan0784 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: My '47 Chevy Sport Coupe, Bone Stock, For Now.

Sexy, look at that ***....
Old 07-08-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
kbeefy
Registered Member

kbeefy is on a distinguished road

That looks nice vic!

I made a 'blog'!!

'00 F350 7.3, Really big trailer
'86 VW Syncro Vanagon, 2.5l subbie transplant
I only own one of the below vehicles anymore.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Saw a 4 door sedan in about the same shape. Your coupe would look great with a tube front axle and Halibrand wheels. What rear axle will you use? The originall torque tube axle severely limits transmission choices. Keep us posted! Nice.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
Maddening
Registered Member

Thanks guys, it is indeed going to be a fun project. It burns me up that I can't get started on it right now, but I should have money and time this coming winter to start on it.

I've got a 300hp/325tq 350 going in. It's a proven dyno tested combo that I basically pulled part number by part number right out of a magazine article, it was how to build 300 horse under $2000 or some such article using the cheapie 250hp GM 4-bolt main crate engine (300hp with cam change and bolt-ons). Transmission will be whatever I can find, TH350, TH400, 700R4... And a 10 bolt out of an S-10 is supposed to be **** near a bolt-in, so I'm planning on that to start, until I break it! Gonna use a Speedway Motors straight axle kit: (http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Gasser...DisplayId=3338) as it has a good reputation.

Didn't get to work on it at all today, spent the whole day replacing a broken garage door.

Quote:
Dammit, it's cold here!

Last edited by Maddening; 07-08-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
Maddening
Registered Member

Here's the intended final result, though maybe an inch or two lower in front for a bit more stability, and I'll leave the red paint for a while. Gasser!

Quote:
Dammit, it's cold here!

Last edited by Maddening; 07-08-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
wasillashack
Registered Member

Exactly the look I was talking about, instead of the Cragar SS's I like the Halibrands or slotted mags like ET or Americans, more traditional look, just my opinion. Nice coupe,
Old 07-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
Nick_R_23
Registered Member

Nick_R_23 is on a distinguished road

A 200-4R would be a perfect transmission for that. Short, lightweight, and has overdrive.

Cool car, keep us posted!
1968 Chevelle Malibu
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
|AK|Chevelle
Registered Member

|AK|Chevelle is on a distinguished road

I may have some slotted mags Vic. Thaik they were 15x10 and 14x7. I'll have to dig around and look.
|AK|Chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
Maddening
Registered Member

Mebbe a 2004R, or possibly even a Power Glide. A PG would be the choice for the drag strip. It's gonna mostly matter on whatever I can find for cheap that will bolt to a small block, this is being built on a budget the first time.

Finally tackled those stuck brakes, man it was a b!tch, the e-brake is frozen in the on position, and three of the four adjusters to back them off were frozen up. Not that the adjusters would have backed it off anyway, it appears that the whole brake systems has fused together. I just blunt forced those **** drums off big screwdrivers, then moved up to big pry bars, and finally a big crowbar. Took about an hour to get the first one off, but only took ten minutes to get the second one off, I could probably do one in less than five minutes now I'd bet! Oh well, it's rolling again, without rear drums, so don't hit those brakes! Not that it'd matter, they're nearly completely seized, they won't move until I tear them apart.

I know you guys like pics, so here's a couple.

Drums off:

Back on all fours:

Once I get the brakes all working I might see what it'll take to get this thing running properly in the state it's in and see if it'd be worth taking to some shows this summer as it sits. just for giggles.

Quote:
Dammit, it's cold here!
Old 07-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #11
Maddening
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by |AK|Chevelle View Post
I may have some slotted mags Vic. Thaik they were 15x10 and 14x7. I'll have to dig around and look.
Ah wow, those would be the perfect sizes too, nice wide for the back and smaller skinnies! No rush at all but let me know if you find them.

Quote:
Dammit, it's cold here!
Old 07-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #12
Nick_R_23
Registered Member

Nick_R_23 is on a distinguished road

I have a set of slotted mags also, they fit a 6 lug Chevy. I was going to use them under my 1950, but I'm going with a 5 lug frame. They are 15x7's I think, might be 8's. Wouldn't quite give it the gasser look though.
1968 Chevelle Malibu
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
wasillashack
Registered Member

Are you talking about getting the engine in it running? Is it the original style 216? Do you know how to time it? I can help you with it if you don't.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #14
HeavyMetal
Registered Member

HeavyMetal is on a distinguished road

Man...That is a sweet looking ride Vic...Looks really clean.

It's just gotta have the Gasser look...

Keep the color with some hand painted name on it...

Oh...And it is just begging to have some moon stickers on the lower front fenders...

A Republic is two wolves and a well armed lamb discussing what they are having for lunch...

If at first you don't succeed...

It's best you don't go Sky Diving...
HeavyMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #15
Maddening
Registered Member

Shack, yeah, original 216, I think the engine was running pretty well when we put it away, but it's not run in five years, and I seem to remember it'd developed a nasty oil leak from somewhere in the front. I'm sure it'll take some doing to get it running, if it needs too much I'm not going to mess with it. I'm unfortunately intimately familiar with the timing, we replaced the timing gears the very first day of owning this car, they stripped on the drive home. Upgraded to metal ones instead of stock plastic timing gears, they're loud but they should be more durable then the originals.

Not sure if it's numbers matching 216 though, I don't even know how to tell on a car this old, but I'll figure it out. I'm not going to make any changes that can't be reverted with a little bit of effort in case someone wants a stocker, I'll keep all the original pieces in the shed.

The good thing about these cars is that they aren't worth big bucks in stock condition, and mine's a little rough, flaking paint, dirty interior, so I don't feel too bad modifying a bone stock car into a fun, unique ride. You don't see too many gassers out here in the Valley, I think I've seen one, a '55 Chevy, and that's it. I think I saw a couple over the course of maybe the last ten years between Valley and Anchorage shows. I wanted something unique and it will definitely be that for this area!

I may just spray the whole thing satin black, even though I know it's been done 1000 times, it's cheap and easy, and makes it look mean. Lettering is already figured out, it's going to be "John's Machine Shop" in memory of my grandfather, that was his shop in Chugiak for years.

Quote:
Dammit, it's cold here!
Old 07-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #16
wasillashack
Registered Member

Maddening,
Then you knpw about the timing porthole in the face of the bellhousing.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #17
Maddening
Registered Member

It's been ten years and many beers ago now but I don't recall doing anything at the bellhousing when we timed it. We might have, I dunno anymore.

Quote:
Dammit, it's cold here!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #18
wasillashack
Registered Member

Looking at the engine from the front, on the front side of the bell housing on the passenger side should have a silver dollar size hole in it, when the engine is running, when the timing is correct you will see a dot on the flywheel in hole. If your engine does not have this hole it is not the original type (216 cubic inches, poured babbit bearings, and splash oiling system) Good luck, Shack
Old 07-17-2011, 09:10 PM   #19
Dipstick
Registered Member

Dipstick has disabled reputation

Consider - they are only stock once.
Pretty clean rig to modify IMO. Properly tuned you can get 20 mpg with these. Additionally, 3:55 gear set is available from Patrick's - cruise at 65. Period correct overdrive units and engine performance parts can be found, too.
A 235 w/high pressure oiling looks just like your 216.

Last edited by Dipstick; 07-17-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Dipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #20
Maddening
Registered Member

If this car was worth much in stock configuration I'd leave it that way, but it's not, they sell regularly in better condition for $5000 or less on Ebay. Also this car stock is pretty boring in all respects. I know I'd walk right by it at a car show at least in stock config. That's not what I want, I want to snap necks when people try to see what just the heck that beast was that just cruised by them!

Quote:
Dammit, it's cold here!

Last edited by Maddening; 07-18-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #21
Dipstick
Registered Member

Dipstick has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddening View Post
If this car was worth much in stock configuration I'd leave it that way, but it's not, they sell regularly in better condition for $5000 or less on Ebay. Also this car stock is pretty boring in all respects. I know I'd walk right by it at a car show at least in stock config. That's not what I want, I want to snap necks when people try to see what just the heck that beast was that just cruised by them!
To each his own. At my age, 'snapping necks' is passe.
No disrespect meant at all, in the long run ego and instant gratification loose value. Most folks could give an eff what 'just cruised by them' unless you are being a hazard.
These cars were good smooth fairly economical cruisers - nice for long comfortable drives - sensible transportation even for today - a piece of cake to economically maintain. You can toss thousands at it, feed it fuel and command the wows (maybe) or enjoy driving it and pass it on to your grandkids - stock will gain value for certain over time and hot rodded will most likely depreciate.
You would not believe how many folks walk up at a car show and commend a stock vehicle - history, etc. Just sayin' this looks too complete and finding a beater/incomplete unit to hotrod is an option that many would choose instead.
My father would roll over in in his grave.
That being said, this is the Hot Rodders Forum and I am just tossing out my opinion on what I see regarding this vehicle. You did mention leaving it so it could be returned to original - but that rarely pans out.

Last edited by Dipstick; 07-21-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Dipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #22
ryanman
Registered Member

ryanman is on a distinguished road

Looks like a nice ride!
'11 Rzr S LE, '11 Rzr 170 for the kids, couple other atv's & dirtbikes
ryanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #23
Maddening
Registered Member

I hate not having money to spare right now... This poor car sat in the garage until a few weeks ago with nothing getting done on it, then got put back out to pasture for the winter. I am ordering a nice car cover though, so it'll be protected. Hope it makes it here before snow flies!

Quote:
Dammit, it's cold here!