Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Special Interest > Hot Rodders

Hot Rodders All discussion topics related to hot rods and custom cars. 2 wheel drive only, but does not have to be technical in nature

Old 10-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
alaskangiles
Registered Member

alaskangiles is on a distinguished road
Default Vortec 4.3L?

Maybe not a true "hot rod", but hey, it's what I have to play with. It's a 95' S10, extended cab, 2wd, factory lowering kit 3-2, 4.3L (L35), vin-W, 99,120 miles, picked it up for $500. Needed a fuel pump. So I pulled the bed off it to replace the pump and stripped the frame. axle, and everything else under the bed. Then I repainted everything. Came out looking like a show frame, kinda cool. To bad it's so low to the ground, no one willl ever see it. It ran a bit rough so I did a full tune up. Plugs, wires, rotor, o2 sensor. WAAAAAAY better, but still had a little something. I researched a lot of issue's with the "spider injectors" and intake manafold gaskets. Replaced those along with the MAP sensor, throttle possition sensor, and a couple other inexpensive sensors. Took it out and drove it like a human for 200 miles. It still had a hesitation, so I let it eat. It's shifted at 5200 RPM's! Oops, hehe. Well the rear main seal didn't like it so much. I also think it may have a head gasket pissing by. Blows way more than "normal" exhaust steam. Doesn't smell like anything. Just make's me not feel good about it. So here's the deal. I don't know anything about building a 4.3 and all the site's I can find on these things are full of those guys that know everthing there is to know. I hate that crap! Is it worth it? Can I do it for less than $1,500? Cause I think I'm just gonna pull the motor and replace ALL the seals. Was thinking it would be nice to at least port and polish the heads and intake while they were off. I can't seem to find anyone around that does them. Any body know anyone reputable between Willow and Kenia? Or is this just a waste of time? Turbo? I really wanna make this thing cool without a small block. I did that on a 91' S10 years ago, first build haha. Tonight I started dtripping the rest of the frame. Wish I had a garage that could actually fit something in. Any help would be a big help. I'm really up in the air about this. Clean ride, low miles, ran the vin and there's only 3 of these ever made. Can't really afford to go crazy with it, just feel the need to tinker.

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

"Go ahead skin that smoke wagon and see what happen's"

My butt itches and my finger stinks.
alaskangiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
keathyde
Registered Member

keathyde has disabled reputation
Default Re: Vortec 4.3L?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskangiles View Post
It ran a bit rough so I did a full tune up. Plugs, wires, rotor, o2 sensor. WAAAAAAY better, but still had a little something. I researched a lot of issue's with the "spider injectors" and intake manafold gaskets. Replaced those along with the MAP sensor, throttle possition sensor, and a couple other inexpensive sensors.
My blazer had a phantom issue with the spider injectors.. I always had a hesitation with that thing.. I did everything you did and it still was not right.. It bugs me to this day that i could never figure out what it was.. I even replaced that cat on it too. But anyways it sounds like you have a pretty sweet little truck.. I really like the s10 anything really, there pretty sweet.
keathyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
yellowk20
Registered Member

yellowk20 is on a distinguished road

First off I don't beleive the 200 miles of driving like a human HAHAHAHA

as for the rest, theres really no power in porting and polishing Vortec heads you can actually hurt peformance.

I would just pull the motor put new seals and gaskets in it and check the rod an main bearings.

if you want more power there is a company called Wynjammer that makes an inexpensive supercarger kit for 4.3's I'll try to dig up there website
yellowk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
yellowk20
Registered Member

http://www.wynjammer.com/ALM1115/GM_S10_4_3__V6.html
Old 10-14-2011, 01:18 AM   #5
alaskangiles
Registered Member

This is a 95', that kit is for a 96'. First thing I noticed different was the AC is on the passenger side on my 95'. There are a few other difference's too. It's out of my price range today, but maybe I'll give them a call and ask. Thanks, Gus!

It's just a faint hesitation from 800 RPM's through 3000 RPM's. Kinda scared the scat out of me when I punched it. Thing took off! Then I tried to let out of it and it was stuck on the floor mat. HAHA! Those little breaks wouldn't of done anything. That one tire fire is about anoying too. Seems like I read somewhere that the ZR2 package came with a Eaton locker?

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 10-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
B1
Registered Member

B1 will become famous soon enough

That motor would be cooler in the chevy Luv on craigslist.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
yellowk20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskangiles View Post
This is a 95', that kit is for a 96'. First thing I noticed different was the AC is on the passenger side on my 95'. There are a few other difference's too. It's out of my price range today, but maybe I'll give them a call and ask. Thanks, Gus!

It's just a faint hesitation from 800 RPM's through 3000 RPM's. Kinda scared the scat out of me when I punched it. Thing took off! Then I tried to let out of it and it was stuck on the floor mat. HAHA! Those little breaks wouldn't of done anything. That one tire fire is about anoying too. Seems like I read somewhere that the ZR2 package came with a Eaton locker?
If you want to do it call the guy he makes multiple kits, We were gonna get a kit from him for Pattys 93 K1500 but we sold the truck, My sister is thinking about getting a kit for her ZR2

I don't think ZR2's came with an eaton pretty sure its just a gov-bomb , not to mention the ZR2 uses a wider axle housing that is a 8.5 ring gear ,your truck should have the 7.625" ring gear .

You could do the Junk yard crawl and find a truck with the G80 option on the glove box door, thats the option code for the Gov-lok

I'd get a Lock-rite,Aussie locker,Or Detroit Ez-locker there around 200-400.00 and super easy to put in.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
Maddening
Registered Member

Maddening is on a distinguished road

Very cool, the 4.3 is a great engine. Got pics?

Pull it, re-ring it, new bearings and gaskets and a new timing chain and reinstall it. That would be the best cost conscious option. You'd do good to mic each and every rod and main journal and order a custom set of bearings to match if you don't want to spend a lot on machine work. Same goes for rings, mic all the bores and get a custom set if needed.

Is it a ZQ8 suspension? I thought those were closer to 2"/2" on the drop. If it is a ZQ8 it'll say it in the glove box on that plastic sticker option sheet. How did you come to the figure of only three made? I'm not sure on that one, there were a lot of Xcab ZQ8 4.3 trucks made that year and in other years. 3000 SS's made that year, and a good number of them are 4.3 ZQ8 Xcabs themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me View Post
Dammit, it's cold here!
...caught the Jeep thing again. '17 JK Hypergreen Hard Rock!
Maddening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #9
nate
Registered Member

nate will become famous soon enough

Paperwork he ran said only 2 or 3 where made of same truck.

Not a reason to pull motor and do engine work, it's only got 99,000 miles.

I think hesitation is a fuel pressure or MAP issue, but I didn't have my scanner with me to check.

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
alaskangiles
Registered Member

There's a was a website that you could run the vin # and it told you every RPO that was on the truck and at the bottm of the report it gave you a rarety report. Said there was two other trucks with the same options with a 0.00% chance of finding another one. The whole truck is kind of a hodge podge of options. Everythting you look at just doesn't look right. I also ran a carfax on it. It came back clear with a listing of the same options.

As far as the pics go, never have been able to figure out how to post them. I can text someone pics if they wanna shot me a text. 350-1181 The wind kinda trashed about three feet of the passinger side. I had a EZ-up canopy over it because I've been tinkering around with it. My dumb arsc kept telling myself to stake it to the ground. I guess you get what you ask for putting it off? Oh well, as Gus would say "It'll buff out".

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 10-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #11
Maddening
Registered Member

Maddening is on a distinguished road

Ah, that makes sense, you're talking about every single doo-dad, color, style, everything. OK, I git it.

If you want you can email me at 71elcamino@gmail.com and I can put them up. Photobucket is what I use, try it out, it makes postin pics easy peasy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me View Post
Dammit, it's cold here!
...caught the Jeep thing again. '17 JK Hypergreen Hard Rock!
Maddening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
rentlman2k
Registered Member

rentlman2k is on a distinguished road

I have a G80 gov-loc rear axle out of a 98 Jimmy complete with disc brakes, lines, springs, the works you can have for $50

http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=53702
rentlman2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:16 AM   #13
alaskangiles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentlman2k View Post
I have a G80 gov-loc rear axle out of a 98 Jimmy complete with disc brakes, lines, springs, the works you can have for $50

http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=53702
I'll take it. I'll be in Eagle river in the morning, about 8-noon. If you wanna bring it that far. I can find a way to meet up in the valley another time. Or I can wait till next time you come to town. No matters to me, I'm in no hurry. Do you know what gears are in it?

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 10-20-2011, 05:23 AM   #14
rentlman2k
Registered Member

rentlman2k is on a distinguished road

3.73 gears
PM sent
rentlman2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #15
alaskangiles
Registered Member

NICE! Better than 3.42's

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 10-30-2011, 12:33 AM   #16
alaskangiles
Registered Member

Lets's see if this works........
http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...rent%3D151.jpg
http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent=150.jpg
http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...rent%3D152.jpg

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 10-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #17
nate
Registered Member

Who welded your seat bracket? It's a good thing that part is hidden

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments." - George Washington
Old 10-30-2011, 11:31 PM   #18
alaskangiles
Registered Member

Haha! Yup, that was about hour 34 of that day. Looks good from the outside, the speaker box covers the inside.

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 10-30-2011, 11:46 PM   #19
89' BURBAN
Registered Member

89' BURBAN is on a distinguished road

Wow! Good thing that's a 4.3 and not a 2.2, otherwise I would say you had my old truck. There fun little rigs. I had dreams of dropping a SBC in mine but never had the chance to. Good luck on the build

Last edited by 89' BURBAN; 10-30-2011 at 11:48 PM.
89' BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:48 PM   #20
plyr2k
Registered Member

plyr2k is on a distinguished road

On the right of all your pictures theres an [IMG] code. Just copy, and paste.
"Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag .We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language .and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

T. Roosevelt-1907
plyr2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:25 PM   #21
alaskangiles
Registered Member

Cool, thanks!

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 10-31-2011, 10:43 PM   #22
alaskangiles
Registered Member

Well, I don't know a thing about gears. I do know that I paid $50 for a complete one and burned $65 in fuel getting it. Then I found this......

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 10-31-2011, 10:48 PM   #23
alaskangiles
Registered Member

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0950.jpg

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...3DIMG_2610.jpg

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 10-31-2011, 10:58 PM   #24
alaskangiles
Registered Member

IMG_2610

IMG_0950

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg

I'm guessing the one your talking about is the one that I click on and it says copied. And when I right click it says global bla bla or adobie reader. Hang in there I'll finger this out.

WILL WORK FOR SANITY

Old 10-31-2011, 11:27 PM   #25
nate
Registered Member

That gov loc is pretty much a paperweight with the spiders in that shape and it's probably not worth the $$ to get new parts for it.
Unless that axle has the right gear ratio you need I'd send that thing right back to the person you bought it from.

If you want to build it right and not have that gov bomb your going to be into it $500-$600 in parts.

Oh... $65 of gas, where the hell did you go? I can drive almost 2 weeks on that in my car!

Last edited by nate; 10-31-2011 at 11:35 PM.