Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > Special Interest > Hot Rodders

Hot Rodders All discussion topics related to hot rods and custom cars. 2 wheel drive only, but does not have to be technical in nature

Old 08-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

ChevyMan0784 will become famous soon enough
Default Motorcycle freaks....

Of the not so ricey variety.

Looking at possibly getting a frame to start a bobber with. Ive looked at everything from metric frames to old school Paquett frames. I havent settled on anything, except my overall mental image of what it will look like. Low, mean, fat tires with white walls. This bike is going to match my car Lol. Fast is a must. Not that I plan on burning out and killing myself everywhere. I just want it there when I need it. Not looking to save pennies for years for any of it.

So, Ive looked at Yamaha XS650 motors, all the way to some used S&S's. Ive considered starting with a stock bike, and starting with a bare frame. I think it could be easier for me (since this is my first build) to just start with either a modified or stock bike in the neighborhood of what I want.

What are your thoughts on a good inexpensive starting point, and or do you have some things that could help me get started?

Old 08-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation
Default Re: Motorcycle freaks....

I like the minimalist, no frills look of both bikes. Trends today seem to be creating a work of art that is not practical, comfortable or easy to ride.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Rdrash
Registered Member

Rdrash is on a distinguished road

Seriously a $2500 rolling frame and a $2500-$3500 buell can make a torque monster for 5 or 6 grand and lets you make a lot of first time builder mistakes that could kill or put a bigger build on the back burner.

Go into Alaska leather and look through some of the parts books they all offer dozens of roller kits for cheap

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

“A liberal is a person whose interests aren't at stake at the moment”
Rdrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdrash View Post
Seriously a $2500 rolling frame and a $2500-$3500 buell can make a torque monster for 5 or 6 grand and lets you make a lot of first time builder mistakes that could kill or put a bigger build on the back burner.

Go into Alaska leather and look through some of the parts books they all offer dozens of roller kits for cheap
I had no idea Alaska Leather sold bike parts. If I am thinking of the same place. I like the Buells, I always thought they would make a badass bobber/cafe racer. Id even do something stupid like use a Ducati if I had one. I a pretty open to just about anything that isnt shaft driven (just not what I want). Metric, Euro, US, doesnt matter. I wont pay for a name for a build like this. Ill check it out Rdrash, thanks man.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
84Shortbed
Registered Member

84Shortbed has disabled reputation

Call my buddy craiger at dream catcher cycles in anch. Tell him Chris Turner sent you and pick hia brain. Not only will he know exactly what aves to go down but he will know where parts are too
Old 08-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
yellowk20
Registered Member

yellowk20 is on a distinguished road

Metric choppers are pretty cool and ALOT of fun to ride I had a yamaha powered one in NM similar to the pone posted above ( not as nice ) with a suicide shift and foot clutch , no front brakes , Honda ATC 250R front forks, and spoke wheels from a mid 70's kawasaki. it was a fun bike and got lots of looks and compliments ( both good and bad)
yellowk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
ponyracer
Registered Member

ponyracer has disabled reputation

I ran across a guy on base selling a sweeeet kz650. Its on cl for like 1300?? Kicker is he has a complete nos turbo kit for the bike also. I was thinking about it for my next toy but too many irons in the fire.
ponyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:37 AM   #8
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyracer View Post
I ran across a guy on base selling a sweeeet kz650. Its on cl for like 1300?? Kicker is he has a complete nos turbo kit for the bike also. I was thinking about it for my next toy but too many irons in the fire.
Roger that man, thank you.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #9
ak_petey
Registered Member

ak_petey is on a distinguished road

i had a buel cyclone (2000) for my first bike. it was a torque monster. I rode it everywhere. the 1201 sportster motor was sweet. But parts from Harley are pretty spendy. keep that in mind.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
samwe
Registered Member

samwe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyMan0784 View Post
Low, mean, fat tires with white walls. This bike is going to match my car Lol.
Please, not wide whitewalls. Choppers and bobbers don't have white walls (and should not have wide tires!) and performance bikes don't have white walls.

I have a Shovelhead in a rigid frame. Still changing stuff every year until I am happy with it. Building a rigid framed metric from a late 70's early '80's metric twin sounds pretty fun too, but I think my next bike will be ADV.
samwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
samwe
Registered Member

samwe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowk20 View Post
Metric choppers are pretty cool and ALOT of fun to ride I had a yamaha powered one in NM similar to the pone posted above ( not as nice ) with a suicide shift and foot clutch , no front brakes , Honda ATC 250R front forks, and spoke wheels from a mid 70's kawasaki. it was a fun bike and got lots of looks and compliments ( both good and bad)
Pics please?
samwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #12
yellowk20
Registered Member

yellowk20 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwe View Post
Pics please?
oh man , I don't know that i ever took any pictures I had it for only one summer and traded it for CR500 powered 250R 4-wheeler
yellowk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #13
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwe View Post
Please, not wide whitewalls. Choppers and bobbers don't have white walls (and should not have wide tires!) and performance bikes don't have white walls.

I have a Shovelhead in a rigid frame. Still changing stuff every year until I am happy with it. Building a rigid framed metric from a late 70's early '80's metric twin sounds pretty fun too, but I think my next bike will be ADV.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #14
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowk20 View Post
Metric bobbers are awesome. Preferably an XS650. I am all for it. If you're hung up on the Harley name, you're gonna get screwed for thousands more just for a badge. I'd love to get an older Indian. Lol. But again, a lot more money. If I can get an older Harley cheap enough, I'll spring for it. I'd love a Panhead.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #15
AirmanSkee
Registered Member

AirmanSkee has disabled reputation

I actually like the white walls. Its gotta be a certain style of bike to pull them off, but all those ^^^ definitely do.
AirmanSkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #16
B1
Registered Member

B1 will become famous soon enough

Yamabobs are kinda cool. And those parallel twins sound good. Just get the biggest motor you can find, and shoehorn it into the lightest frame you can get. It'll be fast, I promise.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #17
ChevyMan0784
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
Yamabobs are kinda cool. And those parallel twins sound good. Just get the biggest motor you can find, and shoehorn it into the lightest frame you can get. It'll be fast, I promise.
That last sentence should be a great quote of all time. Lol...