Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:36 PM   #1
DRussell
Registered Member

DRussell has disabled reputation
Default Air Boat Project

So I have another project starting to pile up. Still in the parts collecting stages but here's the plan. I have a aluminum hull already sheeted with UHMW on the bottom, I have a gear reduction unit 2:1 model and just scored a LS 6.0. Plan on using a stump puller 3 blade prop. Still need fuel cell, radiator, painless harness ect. So I am a ford guy by heart and those no changing that. But I'm also not to hard headed to make a smart choice. It's pretty well known that a guy can build a Chevy motor cheaper than almost any other due to aftermarket support and availability of parts. But I haven't done a LS swap before so bring on the input. If you done it in a airboat I want to hear about it. If you have done it in a truck I want to know what you did and what you might try different. Where to send my Computer to get it reworked to not need a tranny and all those little things. What sensors can I delete to simplify things and what sensors must stay. What RPMs should a 6.0 run at to spin the prop at the right speed and still be in the "power band" Any and all input is greatly appreciated
DRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:14 AM   #2
Bronco85
Registered Member

Bronco85 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Air Boat Project

Should be able to get all that info on line. The LS swap is pretty popular.
Bronco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:08 PM   #3
wrangler

wrangler is on a distinguished road

I've had 3 air boats, but what you're doing is too deep for me. Go see Lenard at Alaska air boat. Up the parks on the right, just past the Holiday gas station.
I still have a radiator from my F-350 for sale.
wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:04 PM   #4
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Dan, An option would be to put a carb on it, probably cheaper than a wiring harness, reprogramming, etc and more remote location friendly to repair. That said, most EFI systems are pretty reliable. I think you will like the L series engines, tons of aftermarket support for them, and a very efficient design.

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:26 AM   #5
AKPrice
Registered Member

AKPrice is on a distinguished road

I sent my harness to the 12volt guy he has a website. you send your stock harness to him and tell him what you want to delete. Since im running a th400 i had him remove all the trans wiring besides the vss sensor. As for emmisions I had him remove all evap and egr related wiring and the two rear O2's.

He then makes it a stand alone, the motor will run off just the harness and has a obd2 and its on small fuse box.

I bought HP tuners vcm for my computer but I havnt had a chance to mess with learning how to tune yet. Good luck on the boat
1994 2wd f-150 soon to get a healthy bbf swap
1986 foxbody that I doubt ill get to
AKPrice is offline   Reply With Quote