Alaska 4x4 Network

Go Back   Alaska 4x4 Network > Alaska 4x4 Network Forums > 4x4 Vehicle (car, truck, etc) > Build-up Threads

Build-up Threads Long term build up threads only please. This forum will be very heavily moderated. If you have a question about content, pm Logjam before posting it.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:54 AM   #1
Tim_Wilson
Registered Member

Tim_Wilson has disabled reputation
Default SAS 99 Safari Van

Not new to the site but using a new account due to problems getting logged in.

I am building a 99 Safari Van to take the family out in God's creation.

I picked up the van with a bad transmission but it runs great. I also picked up a 85 K2500 from a friend with a good transmission and good axles that I'm going to use for the van. The plan is to keep the 4.3, swap out the bad 2wd 4l60E transmission for a TH400 with a 208 t-case, install a10 bolt front axle on XJ long arm suspension, install a semi float 14bolt on lifted K1500 rear springs. I am building it to clear 40" tires and have a set of worn 37" iroks to run on it for now.

I am only using these axles because its what I have and I'm keeping this one on a low budget.

I bought the Rubicon Express axle bracket kit and will be using those for the install. Progress will be a little slow but I'd like to have it on the road by mid November.

I'll post updates as I get more done.

Tim_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:16 AM   #2
billythedeadboy
Registered Member

billythedeadboy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SAS 99 Safari Van

While you have it apart. Look into upgrading the poppet SCFI with the newer LU3 MPFI fuel spider. The poppets were known for sticking due to carbon build up and should improve fuel delivery slightly. If I remember correctly its a 1:1 conversion, just swap the new unit in.
'91 3500 dually (For Sale)
'05 Astro (DD)

Looking for 60-63 chevy/gmc truck parts
billythedeadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:20 PM   #3
Tim_Wilson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythedeadboy View Post
While you have it apart. Look into upgrading the poppet SCFI with the newer LU3 MPFI fuel spider. The poppets were known for sticking due to carbon build up and should improve fuel delivery slightly. If I remember correctly its a 1:1 conversion, just swap the new unit in.
Thanks, I will look into that.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:51 PM   #4
wasillashack
Registered Member

wasillashack has disabled reputation

Looks like a nice build, good luck!

We are told not to judge Muslims based on the actions of a few.

I suggest we give the millions of responsible Americans gun owners that same courtesy.
wasillashack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #5
Rolling
Now you can have it.

Rolling is on a distinguished road

If the 8th digit of the VIN is an 'X', it should already have the updated spider injector assembly. If its a W, just run it till it gives you a problem. The intake gaskets are more common to leak than the injectors are to fail, and General Motors retracted the upgraded injector bulletin a couple years ago anyways..
A good thorough cleaning yielded better results than the MPFI upgrade. If you are keeping it cheap, I wouldn't spend money till you have to!! Looks like a fun build!!

FZJ-80 Lexus on 35's....if you gotta ask whats a ZJ you can't afford it....
Rolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:30 PM   #6
Tim_Wilson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling View Post
If the 8th digit of the VIN is an 'X', it should already have the updated spider injector assembly. If its a W, just run it till it gives you a problem. The intake gaskets are more common to leak than the injectors are to fail, and General Motors retracted the upgraded injector bulletin a couple years ago anyways..
A good thorough cleaning yielded better results than the MPFI upgrade. If you are keeping it cheap, I wouldn't spend money till you have to!! Looks like a fun build!!
I looked tonight and mines a W so it doesn't have the upgrade. Right now I'm concentrating on getting the can drive able so I can park our mustang for the winter. I'll daily drive the van this winter once it's done and continue to build stuff for it.

I'm waiting on a flex plate spacer/adapter to mount the transmission and tcase up, it should be here Friday so I'll have the tranny in this weekend. Then onto the front suspension.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:46 AM   #7
Tim_Wilson
Registered Member

I got a little more time to work on the van.

I got the th400/208 installed this week. I need to either order a clocking ring for the 208 or drill and tap a new bolt hole. I spun the tcase up to get the driveshaft above the factory transmission crossmember and to give it a flat bottom and 5 of the 6 bolts line up. The bottom bolt doesn't line up so that will have to be addressed.

This weekend I plan on stripping the front axle and getting it ready to install. I'm hoping to have everything mocked up and ready to weld on.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:20 PM   #8
scout
Registered Member

scout is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't recommend running the t-case in a position like that, the oil pump will not pick up the oil and it will damage the t-case.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:50 AM   #9
Tim_Wilson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
I wouldn't recommend running the t-case in a position like that, the oil pump will not pick up the oil and it will damage the t-case.
How far clocked up can you run them and not damage them? Thanks for the heads up.

Tim
Old 10-28-2016, 10:22 PM   #10
scout
Registered Member

scout is on a distinguished road

The oil pump pick up is below the front out put shaft. That needs to be the lowest point so the oil can drain down.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #11
Fourby4
Registered Member

Fourby4 has disabled reputation

how's the build going?
Fourby4 is offline   Reply With Quote